ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano 🤝 Season Openers

Nov 29, 2005
Love that we get a conference game as a season opener. Greg hasn't lost a season opener since 2009. 4-1 against power conference opponents as well. Schiano teams seem to always get up for the first game in a big way. Looking forward to starting the season 1-0.

2001 @ Buffalo W
2002 vs Villanova L
2003 vs Buffalo W
2004 vs Michigan St W
2005 @ Illinois L
2006 @ North Carolina W
2007 vs Buffalo W
2008 vs Fresno State L
2009 vs Cincinnati L
2010 vs Norfolk State W
2011 vs North Carolina Central W

2020 @ Michigan State W
2021 vs Temple W
2022 @ Boston College W

Love that we get a conference game as a season opener. Greg hasn't lost a season opener since 2009. 4-1 against power conference opponents as well. Schiano teams seem to always get up for the first game in a big way. Looking forward to starting the season 1-0.

2001 @ Buffalo W
2002 vs Villanova L
2003 vs Buffalo W
2004 vs Michigan St W
2005 @ Illinois L
2006 @ North Carolina W
2007 vs Buffalo W
2008 vs Fresno State L
2009 vs Cincinnati L
2010 vs Norfolk State W
2011 vs North Carolina Central W

2020 @ Michigan State W
2021 vs Temple W
2022 @ Boston College W
2002 was the Buffanova year, losing to both, but Greg got things rolling after that.

RU should schedule Buffalo for 2024! Cole Snyder should still be QB, but their OOC schedule looks full.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
Didn't 2020 MSU, 2021 Temple and 2022 BC all finish in last place?

Northwestern was obviously last place in 2022. Are they expected to be any better in 2023?

That 2009 game post the stadium expansion was the biggest letdown ever
No that 2008 was the bigger letdown with what we had returning on offense highlighted by a rs-senior qb Teel. I just knew we were winning the conference that year. I believe we were ranked or close to it. Fresno came out here and blew by us, we were heavy legged GS worked them to hard in fall camp....

No that 2008 was the bigger letdown with what we had returning on offense highlighted by a rs-senior qb Teel. I just knew we were winning the conference that year. I believe we were ranked or close to it. Fresno came out here and blew by us, we were heavy legged GS worked them to hard in fall camp....
Bigger thing in 2008 was it was the first game without Ray Rice.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Didn't 2020 MSU, 2021 Temple and 2022 BC all finish in last place?

Northwestern was obviously last place in 2022. Are they expected to be any better in 2023?
Before the BC game, I listened to their radio station podcast about the up and coming season. They broke down their schedule to like six automatic, don't worry about it games, three toss ups, and the other three somewhat underdogs
The one guy got a bit angry saying we better not wind up with their usual six or seven wins, they need nine or so to show improvement

Rutgers? We were in the automatic don't worry about it column for the BC announcers
I was there that game and I can say there were a lot of stunned fans
I still watch that final 96 yard or so, winning drive, never gets too old

And no one on that panel was anywhere near predicting the season record

Def

The Fresno fans were also very cocky near my pregame tailgate
Really weird you said that, I’ve never met you in my life.
I was on the field for warmups and there was a Fresno guy in the first row who told me “ you guys are in for a miserable afternoon”
That Fresno team had excellent skill players

If I remember correctly it looked like the Cincy lines got stronger or we got weaker as the game went on
That wasn't it. Though I can see people coming away with that impression.

That game sticks in my brain.

Kirk Herbstriet.. a Schiano fan of sorts... predicted a Cinci win in a bold fashion. His line was something like "I went to a Cinci practice and the ball never touched the ground". meaning the passing game was perfectly executed. Now, I think Herbstiet lives near Cinci.. and does again with his HS QB son playing for one of those Cinci HS powers. So, I had hoped that line was a bit of homerism.

It was not.

Brian Kelley was Cinci's coach in his 3rd year and his OC was also in his 3rd year. Consistent coaching. He had beaten Rutgers in close games the previous 2 years and Rutgers lost to Cinci from 2006 to 2010. Brian Kelley owned Greg Schiano.

Yeah.. Dantonio (Kelley's predecessor) cheated in 2006 with that bogus tackling the WRs thing in single coverage.. taking the penalty yards. And having their over-aggressive D make big plays against everything but the long pass. Disgusting tactic but genius at the same time. We had killed them in 2005 44-9 in the last game of the season at home for us.

But after seeing Rutgers for 2007 and 2008 and winning close games, Kelley planned all offseason for a classic Schiano defense for the opener on the road at Rutgers. A big TV game. They developed a quick passing game that got the ball off in 2-3 seconds. No time for Schiano's stunts and blitzes to get pressure. And their timing patterns worked even in heavy traffic. The QB and WRs executed perfectly and won the jump balls too.

That wasn't their lines getting stronger.. that was momentum vs disappointment/desperation later in the game. That game was won on the Xs and Os and in spring and summer drills and preseason practices.

EXECUTION won that game for them.. decisively. And I hope we eventually see some thing like that from our offense sometime soon.

Def

The Fresno fans were also very cocky near my pregame tailgate
At the time, that Fresno team was highly touted. They gave USC all they wanted a couple of seasons before, if I remember correctly. Fresno's players were freshmen and sophomores when they gave USC all that trouble. They were juniors and seniors by the time they played RU. They were a dangerous opponent.

Last edited:
That wasn't it. Though I can see people coming away with that impression.

That game sticks in my brain.

Kirk Herbstriet.. a Schiano fan of sorts... predicted a Cinci win in a bold fashion. His line was something like "I went to a Cinci practice and the ball never touched the ground". meaning the passing game was perfectly executed. Now, I think Herbstiet lives near Cinci.. and does again with his HS QB son playing for one of those Cinci HS powers. So, I had hoped that line was a bit of homerism.

It was not.

Brian Kelley was Cinci's coach in his 3rd year and his OC was also in his 3rd year. Consistent coaching. He had beaten Rutgers in close games the previous 2 years and Rutgers lost to Cinci from 2006 to 2010. Brian Kelley owned Greg Schiano.

Yeah.. Dantonio (Kelley's predecessor) cheated in 2006 with that bogus tackling the WRs thing in single coverage.. taking the penalty yards. And having their over-aggressive D make big plays against everything but the long pass. Disgusting tactic but genius at the same time. We had killed them in 2005 44-9 in the last game of the season at home for us.

But after seeing Rutgers for 2007 and 2008 and winning close games, Kelley planned all offseason for a classic Schiano defense for the opener on the road at Rutgers. A big TV game. They developed a quick passing game that got the ball off in 2-3 seconds. No time for Schiano's stunts and blitzes to get pressure. And their timing patterns worked even in heavy traffic. The QB and WRs executed perfectly and won the jump balls too.

That wasn't their lines getting stronger.. that was momentum vs disappointment/desperation later in the game. That game was won on the Xs and Os and in spring and summer drills and preseason practices.

EXECUTION won that game for them.. decisively. And I hope we eventually see some thing like that from our offense sometime soon.
This is spot on. Kelley was preparing his team to win in practice, while Schiano was tinkering with co-coordinators and changing players' positions. RU was woefully unprepared, and it showed.

This is spot on. Kelley was preparing his team to win in practice, while Schiano was tinkering with co-coordinators and changing players' positions. RU was woefully unprepared, and it showed.
Cincinnati had a 240 pound reserve QB who came in on short yardage and wrecked us.
To be honest, we rarely had them in short yardage situations, they just ran and threw at will

Cincinnati had a 240 pound reserve QB who came in on short yardage and wrecked us.
To be honest, we rarely had them in short yardage situations, they just ran and threw at will
I remember that. It was their version of the Jabu package. Except they made it work. After one of the many Cincy TDs, someone in my section remarked that Kelley was "shoving Schiano's own stupid play up RU's ass."

Many are beaten down from 2015-2022. Our children smartly jumped ship after 2 years of Ash and abandoned us on Saturdays in the Fall.

I'm hanging on and remain hopeful. Onward, upward!!
There's nowhere I'd rather be on a fall Saturday. Best tailgate experience in America. Stadium is loud. Can't ask for much more.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I will say it’s nice to have a home opener that doesn’t feel like I’m watching a scrimmage.

Fresno our offense couldn’t score to save their life. It was infuriating. Cincy went 12-0 but that was one of the few true packed sellouts over the last 15 years and the game was over by halftime.

Just looked at the season schedule and damn, what a meat-grinder. I'm not a GS basher. But I'm also not exactly highly optimistic about this season.

A blow-out win in game one would help me feel more optimistic.

That Fresno game was blistering hot. I was sitting with a bunch of Fresno fans and they were asking about the Birthplace of College Football sign. They had no idea

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT