ADVERTISEMENT

Does winning or losing the bowl game carry over ?

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
It appears it doesn’t matter much the next season .

The Plum analysis :

2006 – Previous season lose to Arizona State in bowl game. 2006 was a great and historic season.

2007 – Previous season beat Kansas State in bowl game. 2007 starts with wins over 3 cupcakes. Team stumbles as competition gets tougher and BCS hopes dashed.

2008 - Previous season beat Ball State in bowl game. 2008 starts disastrously.

2009 – Previous season beat NC State in bowl game. Gets trounced in opener by Cincy. Team rebounds to win 7 of next 8.

2010 – Previous season beat UCF in bowl game. Team stunk from the get go with a loss to Tulane in early October. Eric was injured October 16 vs. army. Team loses final 6

2012 – Previous season beat Iowa State in bowl. Schiano leaves. Season starts good. Team stumbles late

2013 – Previous season lose to Virginia Tech in bowl. Team loses overtime thriller to Fresno State in opener. Season is a disappointment. Flood somehow survives.

2014 – Previous season lose to Notre Dame in bowl. 2014 team starts strong with big win at Washington State. Team finishes regular season 7-5 with a great comeback at Maryland

2015 – Previous season beat UNC in bowl. Season is a disaster.

*2022 – Previous season lose to Wake Forest in Gator Bowl. Asterisk this one because we were under .500 and were a Covid replacement for bowl.
Season opens with nice win over BC. Rest of season is disaster.

Last edited:
I think it does in three specific situations ...

1. If you win a national championship,
2. If you win a New Years Day bowl game (or similiar, basically games where a win puts you in the Top 10), and
3. If you are 6-6 and a win is the difference between a winning or losing season.

Reactions: G- RUnit and Jimpeg
That was then
This is now.
Tomorrow will being good times
Rutgers is rising to the top and yesterday was the day everyone ( but a few)
felt the program was one we could be proud of.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
That was then
This is now.
Tomorrow will being good times
Rutgers is rising to the top and yesterday was the day everyone ( but a few)
felt the program was one we could be proud of.
Hopefully you are right . One day in the near future we may have a program we can be proud of. We are on right path

I think it does in three specific situations ...

1. If you win a national championship,
2. If you win a New Years Day bowl game (or similiar, basically games where a win puts you in the Top 10), and
3. If you are 6-6 and a win is the difference between a winning or losing season.
Not so sure about your analysis.
We did have scenario 3 in 2013 and we lost to finish 6-7. But we started 2014 great.

Does winning or losing the bowl game carry over ?

I think it carries over into the off season and spring practice in how it affects the psyche of the team. We were a 500 team this year, but topped the season with a win over a name program. So that's going to resonate with the players and motivate them to improve on that next season.

It appears it doesn’t matter much the next season .

The Plum analysis :

2006 – Previous season lose to Arizona State in bowl game. 2006 was a great and historic season.

2007 – Previous season beat Kansas State in bowl game. 2007 starts with wins over 3 cupcakes. Team stumbles as competition gets tougher and BCS hopes dashed.

2008 - Previous season beat Ball State in bowl game. 2008 starts disastrously.

2009 – Previous season beat NC State in bowl game. Gets trounced in opener by Cincy. Team rebounds to win 7 of next 8.

2010 – Previous season beat UCF in bowl game. Team stunk from the get go with a loss to Tulane in early October. Eric was injured October 16 vs. army. Team loses final 6

2012 – Previous season beat Iowa State in bowl. Schiano leaves. Season starts good. Team stumbles late

2013 – Previous season lose to Virginia Tech in bowl. Team loses overtime thriller to Fresno State in opener. Season is a disappointment. Flood somehow survives.

2014 – Previous season lose to Notre Dame in bowl. 2014 team starts strong with big win at Washington State. Team finishes regular season 7-5 with a great comeback at Maryland

2015 – Previous season beat UNC in bowl. Season is a disaster.

*2022 – Previous season lose to Wake Forest in Gator Bowl. Asterisk this one because we were under .500 and were a Covid replacement for bowl.
Season opens with nice win over BC. Rest of season is disaster.
Truth. Means absolutely for the next season. Different players, different opponents.

Schiano said what is most important in his presser. The film for the next round of guys is the important part of a bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbee3
Hopefully you are right . One day in the near future we may have a program we can be proud of. We are on right path

Didn't you just take credit in the Ash/Troll bait thread for the "Greg will make us beg" tagline and that RU will be a perpetual 5-7 team? Sounds like you are playing both sides, which is it...on the right path or not?

Didn't you just take credit in the Ash/Troll bait thread for the "Greg will make us beg" tagline and that RU will be a perpetual 5-7 team? Sounds like you are playing both sides, which is it...on the right path or not?
Huh ? I said we are on right path.

What was I wrong about ?

I did have us winning by 4 in the pinstripe…we won by 7. I guess you want to criticize me for that ?

Huh ? I said we are on right path.

What was I wrong about ?

I did have us winning by 4 in the pinstripe…we won by 7. I guess you want to criticize me for that ?

Nice deflection. No criticism...just pointing out your contradiction from the other thread....you said we are on the right path in this thread.....but aligned with the troll that you got it right as a "legend" for calling us a perennial 5-7 "Greg will make us beg" program.

Plum, i must say this was certainly quite some impressive foresight, but even more impressive is that your post when Greg was hired ("greg will make us beg") has also become eerily accurate. If I remember correctly, you predicted a perennial 5-7 team, with bowl games but dreams of better bowl berths - here we are!

Legends get it right !!

Nice deflection. No criticism...just pointing out your contradiction from the other thread....you said we are on the right path in this thread.....but aligned with the troll that you got it right as a "legend" for calling us a perennial 5-7 "Greg will make us beg" program.
Yes, 5 to 7 win team . That was meant for regular season.
How am I wrong? We won 6 regular season games . Last year we won 4. Two years ago we won 5.
Seems pretty accurate

Yes, 5 to 7 win team . That was meant for regular season.
How am I wrong? We won 6 regular season games . Last year we won 4. Two years ago we won 5.
Seems pretty accurate

It’s not that your wrong - you still could be right but the results to date don’t define perennial and you know it. Schiano inherited a dumpster fire. His first year was a played in a Covid world and basically should be tossed out the window. He’s only completed 3 years of regular football at Rutgers. Going from laughing stock score scroll losses at the bottom of the screen to 7-6 against a top 5 SOS in that time is towards the upper trajectory of what could realistically be expected / hoped for. Yes - as it turned out, we could’ve even stolen a couple more this year if things broke exactly our way but to say this season proves we’ll only win 6 games makes no sense at all. The reality is - good start but stay tuned for years to come to assess this “prediction”.

Dumb ass thread that seems to be an attempt to belittle a RU positive-- why?? Bowl games are a positive and winning them are why teams play them. Did anyone ever hear a coach say winning them means little ??

2015 was a disaster for off field reasons unrelated to the UNC win.

No question. A lot of the fault lies with Flood, but it can be spread around to some knucklehead players, Julie Hermann, an overzealous local prosecutor looking for headlines, the whole Carroo situation, etc.

Not as important as the extra practices for the young players likely to see more PT next year

Winning is always better than losing. Does it carry over? Who knows? But 7-6 sounds a lot better than 6-7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT