ADVERTISEMENT

This is the best of our Pinstripe Bowls

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
This Pinstripe team has a better feeling about it than the two other rutgers teams that went to the pinstripe and really did Pinstink us !

2011- that team really underachieved and only getting to the pinstripe was a huge disappointment . Yes , that team beat Iowa State . But it was a sad ending to a season that could have been .
They truly did pinstink us .

2013 - another disappointment . The season was a train wreck and flood should have been fired and never even coached in this game. Instead , we keep flood, go and lose to Notre dame, and have recruits decommitting all over the place.

2023 - the program is rising. Schiano is back at the pinstripe , the scene of his last bowl game that we earned with a .500 record or better. There is some optimism . A win over Miami probably will happen. It’s good to be pinstinked this time!

The 2011 team was better than this team
I'd take 2023 actually. 2023 had (has) the better OL - remember in 2011 we were coming off 61 (!) sacks given up. 2011 there was improvement there (how couldnt there be) but we had trouble run blocking all season as well. A true frosh Kaleb Johnson might have been our best lineman- it was mix and match all year with guys like Lowery, Des Stapelton, Des Wynn, Art Forst moving spots/new combos etc.

As good as 2011 was at LB (Greene and Beuharnais) the d line averaged like 260 pounds a man. That wouldn't fly in the Big Ten. And it wouldn't fly against Kyle M running behind Pierce.

What 2011 had as a clear advantage was the incredible Sanu (1200 yds!). Throwing the ball 2011 was better (no shock), but it wasn't exactly Pat Mahomes-level either (Dodd and Nova were so-so all year).

If you simulated a match up 2011 would be like the ideal opponent for 2023. 2023 would pound the rock all game, and 2011 would be forced to throw as I can't see them running with much success against 2023. Figure a few picks for 2023 by Melton/ Longerbeam and 2023 wins old school 17-7.

Last edited:
This Pinstripe team has a better feeling about it than the two other rutgers teams that went to the pinstripe and really did Pinstink us !

2011- that team really underachieved and only getting to the pinstripe was a huge disappointment . Yes , that team beat Iowa State . But it was a sad ending to a season that could have been .
They truly did pinstink us .

2013 - another disappointment . The season was a train wreck and flood should have been fired and never even coached in this game. Instead , we keep flood, go and lose to Notre dame, and have recruits decommitting all over the place.

2023 - the program is rising. Schiano is back at the pinstripe , the scene of his last bowl game that we earned with a .500 record or better. There is some optimism . A win over Miami probably will happen. It’s good to be pinstinked this time!
2011 pinstripe bowl was awesome imo. The team lost some close games. That was a good team. The ND game was frustrating because if Greg was still coaching no way we lose that game imo. That was the day I knew we were screwed. Lots to be excited about for this one. Good post!

Agree with that. Definitely at QB. Nova was benched for Dodd. OL was pretty good. Jamison was over 1,000 yds. Coleman, Kroft, etc. D was pretty damn good laying the foundation for 2012.
Jamison was under 900 yds and averaged 3.9 a carry. Savon 2.6. Even Deering 3.6. We weren't good running in 2011.

Jamison was under 900 yds and averaged 3.9 a carry. Savon 2.6. Even Deering 3.6. We weren't good running in 2011.
Sorry got my years mixed up. Still think overall the team was better and had more talent top to bottom.

Iowa State was a great day and win at pinstripe

Notre dame game was a pretty awful quality game and it sucked to lose to them when it was such a ripe chance to take a W against that program.

I see this game similar circumstances as the ND game. It’s a chance to put a W in the historical records against a brand name program that’s dominated us. We need to capitalize on it to advance our perception just a small step forward.

I'd take 2023 actually. 2023 had (has) the better OL - remember in 2011 we were coming off 61 (!) sacks given up. 2011 there was improvement there (how couldnt there be) but we had trouble run blocking all season as well. A true frosh Kaleb Johnson might have been our best lineman- it was mix and match all year with guys like Lowery, Des Stapelton, Des Wynn, Art Forst moving spots/new combos etc.

As good as 2011 was at LB (Greene and Beuharnais) the d line averaged like 260 pounds a man. That wouldn't fly in the Big Ten. And it wouldn't fly against Kyle M running behind Pierce.

What 2011 had as a clear advantage was the incredible Sanu (1200 yds!). Throwing the ball 2011 was better (no shock), but it wasn't exactly Pat Mahomes-level either (Dodd and Nova were so-so all year).

If you simulated a match up 2011 would be like the ideal opponent for 2023. 2023 would pound the rock all game, and 2011 would be forced to throw as I can't see them running with much success against us. Figure a few picks for 2023 by Melton/ Longerbeam and 2023 wins old school 17-7.
Not buying it. We had some offense back then. Simulations are just that. OL thoughts are a stretch. But we’ll never know since it’s another era vs. era sports conversation and they are pretty useless.

Notre dame game was a pretty awful quality game and it sucked to lose to them when it was such a ripe chance to take a W against that program.

I see this game similar circumstances as the ND game. It’s a chance to put a W in the historical records against a brand name program that’s dominated us. We need to capitalize on it to advance our perception just a small step forward.
We were 17 point dogs to ND in 2013. They ran over us in the end behind that All Pro guard Nelson. This Miami game to me is a tossup.

Not buying it. We had some offense back then. Simulations are just that. OL thoughts are a stretch. But we’ll never know since it’s another era vs. era sports conversation and they are pretty useless.
We ran for 232 yds this year against OSU. What do you think the 2011 team would do against this year's OSU?

The following include sacks but that doesnt exactly hurt my argument anyway.

1 rushing yard (yes 1) against UNC.

We ran for 5 against Cuse.

7 yards against USF.

9 against Uconn.

2011 pinstripe bowl was awesome imo. The team lost some close games. That was a good team. The ND game was frustrating because if Greg was still coaching no way we lose that game imo. That was the day I knew we were screwed. Lots to be excited about for this one. Good post!
What was interesting in the Rutgers-Notre Dame game was, despite the score, the fact that the Fighting Irish didn't win.

4th New Era Pinstripe Bowl
December 28, 2013
(#25/NR) *Notre Dame 29 Rutgers 16
The Bronx, NY Yankee Stadium ( II )
Attendance: 47,122​

*Notre Dame was ordered to vacate its 2012 and 2013 victories where players and staff were involved following a 2016 NCAA investigation for academic misconduct. The Pinstripe Bowl victory was included. However, the records of the offended parties were left unchanged.

We ran for 232 yds this year against OSU. What do you think the 2011 team would do against this year's OSU?

The following include sacks but that doesnt exactly hurt my argument anyway.

1 rushing yard (yes 1) against UNC.

We ran for 5 against Cuse.

7 yards against USF.

9 against Uconn.
You are zoning in on rushing. Top to bottom do you think this team is better? At QB, WR, TE? DBs are better top to bottom? LBs? It may be a close call in some cases but I think QB closes any argument. I also think our current D is a tad overrated.

We got the perfect opponent in this years game, better than any other for the Pinstripe. If Rutgers wins it will be historic, as in the first win over Miami. Plus it will show that Rutgers truly is a hard nose badass Big Ten team.

You are zoning in on rushing. Top to bottom do you think this team is better? At QB, WR, TE? DBs are better top to bottom? LBs? It may be a close call in some cases but I think QB closes any argument. I also think our current D is a tad overrated.
Yes I think top to bottom 2023 is better. Sanu is the great equalizer but the qb play as I said in 2011 wasn't great anyway. It's an interesting argument like you said we will never know. But I think if you went to Schiano in 2011 and said "hey you can take any of these guys from 2023" he is taking a bunch of guys ... Lewis, Bailey, Iton, Ahanotu, Powell, Kyle M, Pierce, Flip. Not to mention the kicking game is stronger this year as well.

And not to kick a hornet's nest but maybe he'd prefer Wimsatt over Dodd too :).

We got the perfect opponent in this years game, better than any other for the Pinstripe. If Rutgers wins it will be historic, as in the first win over Miami. Plus it will show that Rutgers truly is a hard nose badass Big Ten team.
I think it is a good match up in that they have had a lot of opt outs and they generally don’t like to play in any form of cold.

I would say that 2023 Wimsatt was a little bit better than 2011 Nova. He threw so many interceptions we all wanted him benched. I think Dodd took over for the ND game.

Yes I think top to bottom 2023 is better. Sanu is the great equalizer but the qb play as I said in 2011 wasn't great anyway. It's an interesting argument like you said we will never know. But I think if you went to Schiano in 2011 and said "hey you can take any of these guys from 2023" he is taking a bunch of guys ... Lewis, Bailey, Iton, Ahanotu, Powell, Kyle M, Pierce, Flip. Not to mention the kicking game is stronger this year as well.

Fair enough and I respect your opinion and reasoning. However, I’d still take those two over Gavin. Not giving up on him yet, but that’s just how I see it. I also don’t think GS would pick all of those guys you mentioned over a bunch of guys he recruited and had the opportunity to develop.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think it is a good match up in that they have had a lot of opt outs and they generally don’t like to play in any form of cold.
I am glad that your confident that Miami will stink, I don't think they will. I think it will be a tough game to win.

we should smoke them this year as this Miami team is not good

I would say that 2023 Wimsatt was a little bit better than 2011 Nova. He threw so many interceptions we all wanted him benched. I think Dodd took over for the ND game.
Nah. He was not good this year. We all want to wish it so, but it just wasn’t the case.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Nah. He was not good this year. We all want to wish it so, but it just wasn’t the case.
IMO a mythical combined 2011/2023 team you'd start with 2023 as a base and then add Chas, Sanu, Coleman, Vallone, Khaseem, Beaharnais (if we played 3 lbs), and Logan Ryan. So that's mostly 2023 guys to me. And a pretty scary good team.

IMO a mythical combined 2011/2023 team you'd start with 2023 as a base and then add Chas, Sanu, Coleman, Vallone, Khaseem, Beaharnais (if we played 3 lbs), and Logan Ryan. So that's mostly 2023 guys to me. And a pretty scary good team.
I would like that. Can we do that for 2024? 😁

Reactions: RuSnp
I was thinking in terms of scrambling, and low interception rate. An interception is potentially a 14 point swing for the other team.

Our 2023 Qb play is horrid..full stop. You cannot make the argument Wimstattis better than Dodd or Nova at his peak

2023 overall defense, OL play and rushing is better.

2011 overall QB/TE/WR - passing attack was better.

Reactions: mdk01
2011- Dodd was the leading passer for 8 games and Nova for 5

Our 2023 Qb play is horrid..full stop. You cannot make the argument Wimstattis better than Dodd or Nova at his peak
I've told this brief story before. We went to a practice in August. Watched a drill where Evan, Gavin and Ajani were doing a corner post drill. They all looked OK. Did not see that much of Ajani.

Later on, Dodd was QB in a corner post drill with the WRs. Mrs. Shift asked me who the guy with the red beard was dropping dimes with laser precision and if he could play QB. I told her I would check if he had any eligibility. 😂

Reactions: redking
I'm not. I've made it clear before I'm just tired of the argument. But 2011 was a true frosh Nova and a not great Dodd. Even saying 2011 was better - it still wasn't any sort of amazing level of qb performance.

Yes but 2011 team disappointed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT