ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Minn. Game thread 2/28/19

I know bac is more pessimistic than me, but I was pretty sure they were in with the last win. (Honestly, I think the win before that probably was enough until the player dismissals.) Either way, there's no chance 20 wins, 12 in conference, and a third place finish can be ignored. So now everything they're doing is playing for the best possible seed.

Zip didn't score , but those 6 assists helped.
Good rebounding job by Carey again , her 13 points also helped.
Calhoun didn't miss a free throw and that was big at the end.
I just told someone that Zippy is very apprehensive to take a shot, but that's ok. she will be a real threat playing with a healthy KK.

Reactions: RUonBrain and rondi
and getting over it, playing like Vivian taught them with Eatman doing a great job filling in for CVS.
But time heals and the team looks like it's healed from the confusion and hurt of losing teammates
to off court issues.
A sign of a well disciplined team.

I don't think you're giving enough credit to current coach. He is doing more with less.

Gotta be happy with the results tonight. Congrats, ladies!

That said, we made it harder on ourselves than it needed to be for much of the game.
- Too careless with the ball with 17 turnovers against almost no pressure D.
- Three point shooting was bad at 2-15. I couldn't believe Noga even attempted that first one that went in, that was from across the Raritan!
- We had a few defensive breakdowns in the half court game that gave Pitts too many clean looks and she made us pay.

On the plus side:
- We played hard all game, even when we were sloppy for stretches. A for effort for 40 minutes.
- The 55 was obviously a factor, forcing turnovers and bad shots even when the Gophers broke the press. Side note - I didn't notice during the game but Minnesota only played six players! Three of them (Bell, Pitts, and Brunson) played all 40 minutes. I think they just ran out of energy in the 4th.
- I really liked our plan to pound it inside when our outside shots were not falling. The entry passes weren't always sharp, but more often than not they were effective.
- Clutch FT shooting with the 10-10 in the 4th Q.
- Saving the best for last: Guirantes was huge!

All in all, as I started this - we got the much-needed W on Senior Night for the double bye. Onward and upward!

I don't think you're giving enough credit to current coach. He is doing more with less.
I'll give him all the credit in the world for the way he's keeping the team together and the way their playing. Sorry it didn't look that way the way I put my message
I just wanted to give CVS props for handing him a well disciplined team that helped him win as the temporary HC..

Reactions: RUonBrain

I think the way they are playing offensively is much different than under CVS..and maybe Cryor was part of the issue..stagnant at the PG, maybe relied on too much by CVS, the offense certainly was not running smoothly through her the last month or so

Last edited:
I can't believe that grey haired male ref who I detest is doing this game.

Just reading through this thread now after watching the game on delay.

During the game, I was frequently yelling at that guy on my TV.
He sucks bad.

Like he is cousins with Don Imus or something.

My gosh, called so many ticky tack fouls against us, and I don’t recall him calling ANY like that against MN.

The other 2 refs were fine.

To sum up:
The “gray haired male ref” SUCKS!!!

Reactions: LtCol144 and TRU2RU
Really great come back win. Thought we began to run out of gas late in the 4th after almost a full game of full court pressure, but Guirantes wouldn't let let us lose. Congrats Ladies. Great effort & win.

huge win...NCAA ticket punched...20 wins...double bye...team didnt play tight and like the use of more pressure D and more offensive minded....they seem to be playing freer the last few games
I agree with your assessment.regarding NCAA and the team plays far better with pressure defense and a uptempo offense.What is amazing about tonights game is that Rutgers must have missed at least 10 layups along with poor 3 point shooting and still was able to win the game.Guarantes showed big time talent taking over the game in crunch time.

Reactions: TRU2RU and Abro1975
Do they still yell “ref beats wife” at games? ...gosh we used to all the time...good memories...the super PC crowd probably put the kibosh on that years ago!

Last edited by a moderator:
I caught most of the 4Q last night and I thought we looked pretty good. #24 hit some nice shots and #1 did a nice job distributing the ball. Nice intensity on defense as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT