ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Nebraska 1/10/17 8PM

Does the lack of facilities hurt somewhat? No doubt. But it's a convenient excuse especially on the women's side. There are many successful programs where the women play in inferior environs. It's just not as much of a factor as for the men.

Not sure how we got here...bottom of the league!! CVS looks absolutely miserable on the sideline and berates the players every time they come out of the game. No one's having fun...fans, coach, players. We need to climb out of this mess.

Reactions: shields
Stop w the excuses. H of F coach (again w no responsibility from the commentators) shows her game time coaching skills. The revolving starting lineups, that I have stated over the years, continues.

Think about this. RU is truly now a team that is in a rebuilding stage. Does anyone truly believe that CVS is the person to undertake this task.
Please stop using my posts to further your personal agenda.

The Poster had said there was no improvement from this team and I disagreed. I didn't make any excuse for their play (which is inconsistent at best) but did note that they are a lot better than at the beginning of the season. But I also noted that they are nowhere near the level of play we have come to expect.

Everyone who posts here knows your feelings. Sometimes a wholesale lineup change allows the starters who are sitting to get a picture of what's going on in the game before they are called on. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is not the answer.

My purpose in the post you used to further your agenda was to comment on the young ladies who are working hard to get better and play more cohesively as a unit. They still have a ways to go but they are better than the team that lost to Elon and Chattanooga.

Last edited:
The excuse of 7 players sitting on the bench for next year is just another excuse. This team has been on a downward spiral for the past 5 years. this is a pattern that has been happening where we have no depth and we have only 7 or 8girls to play each night. To think that these girls are just going to come in and light it up is ridiculous. CVS is the only coach I have seen where freshman basically make no impact and that is another indictment of her coaching. Lets stop trying to spin this any other way. We have to hope Hobbs moves swiftly at season's end so we can end this debacle. As for her rebuilding the team how can we expect her to rebuild the team when she is responsible for the mess we are in.

The excuse of 7 players sitting on the bench for next year is just another excuse. This team has been on a downward spiral for the past 5 years. this is a pattern that has been happening where we have no depth and we have only 7 or 8girls to play each night. To think that these girls are just going to come in and light it up is ridiculous. CVS is the only coach I have seen where freshman basically make no impact and that is another indictment of her coaching. Lets stop trying to spin this any other way. We have to hope Hobbs moves swiftly at season's end so we can end this debacle. As for her rebuilding the team how can we expect her to rebuild the team when she is responsible for the mess we are in.

Facts are not an excuse. If you add the unexpected injuries (to our best players) to the 7 or 8 we have each night, how many do you have? Why is it ridiculous to think these WOMEN are going to come in and "light it up" when most of them have already done so? Stating that freshmen make no impact and that it is an indictment on her coaching is incredibly wrong and shows your complete ignorance. How long have you been a fan of WBB? A week? The number of great freshmen that have come in and been stars at RU under CVS is a long one. As to the 5 year "downward spiral", when did the contract problems start? When did the downward spiral start in men's bball? Why has every men's coach and CVS cited the facilities for years? You think that is just excuses? You think UConn, Tennessee, Louisville and the other B10 schools build facilities for women's bball just so the coach won't have an excuse? Do you think the money spent on facilities for football was to make them competitive for recruiting or to eliminate excuses for the coaches? What was the first thing Schiano did when he came to RU? Was it facilities? My, my. What was the first thing Hobbs did when he came to RU? Was it facilities? My, my. But you, yes you, no better than all of them.

You are one of the posters on these boards that thinks you can just say anything you want and it will become true just to advance your agenda. Hobbs is NOT replacing CVS. Why don't you just pick another sport to get upset about? There are plenty of them at RU. Start with men's bball, then move on to football, and how about men's golf? While most people accept the impact of facilities on these sports, you make an exception for WBB. Why? Agenda?

Facts are not an excuse. If you add the unexpected injuries (to our best players) to the 7 or 8 we have each night, how many do you have? Why is it ridiculous to think these WOMEN are going to come in and "light it up" when most of them have already done so? Stating that freshmen make no impact and that it is an indictment on her coaching is incredibly wrong and shows your complete ignorance. How long have you been a fan of WBB? A week? The number of great freshmen that have come in and been stars at RU under CVS is a long one. As to the 5 year "downward spiral", when did the contract problems start? When did the downward spiral start in men's bball? Why has every men's coach and CVS cited the facilities for years? You think that is just excuses? You think UConn, Tennessee, Louisville and the other B10 schools build facilities for women's bball just so the coach won't have an excuse? Do you think the money spent on facilities for football was to make them competitive for recruiting or to eliminate excuses for the coaches? What was the first thing Schiano did when he came to RU? Was it facilities? My, my. What was the first thing Hobbs did when he came to RU? Was it facilities? My, my. But you, yes you, no better than all of them.

You are one of the posters on these boards that thinks you can just say anything you want and it will become true just to advance your agenda. Hobbs is NOT replacing CVS. Why don't you just pick another sport to get upset about? There are plenty of them at RU. Start with men's bball, then move on to football, and how about men's golf? While most people accept the impact of facilities on these sports, you make an exception for WBB. Why? Agenda?
You are far braver than I am.

I agree (incidentally) with all your factual stuff, and up until this year was (as you are) proactively supporting CVS. Recognizing the sentiment on the board this year, I have adopted what I think is an opinion similar to Madhat - I will support the decision of the RU administration regarding CVS's future. Although I can explain how RU got to this point (a lot of factors far more complex than simply facilities, although that is a significant factor, and certainly many factors that are not directly due to Vivian), others say they are just excuses. While I can point out that the team will be better next year (and, as I said in a thread, will likely have a better record next year under CVS than someone else) no one seems to believe it. And yes, I would accept and understand if this year's record was too much for the RU administration to take.

That said, the one negative I have pointed out (and you hinted at it) is that it is uncertain as to how Vivian will be able to recruit going forward. Regardless of contract status (which some would doubt as a guarantee, anyhow) there is age; there is the success of the program lately (not as great as previously in some of the recruits limited memory spans); there is the relevance of CVS's life story and history. If she is retained, I will continue to root for her to have great success, and as I have said, if she isn't, I will accept the decision.

I ask again - does anyone know if CVS's contract extension has actually been signed? It was reportedly close to completion back in May. That's the last we've heard of it.

Absent information to the contrary, I can only assume that the extension is NOT a done deal. In which case her return next year is hardly a given.

the excuses that come out...:eek:....please please stop already...accept it, she has fallen off the map and she isnt getting back. The game against Illinois was perhaps her lowest point ever in her career.

fact is if you think these 7 players are going to turn RU into a NCAA team next year from 7-24 this year you are kidding yourself....and Ill make a prediction that only 5 or 6 of them play next year as it was usual happens as one leaves or just sits on the bench with no explanation

I believe this Nebby team was rocked by scandal in off season, did they get rid of their coach that looks like Patti Lupone

So many ostriches on this board, or rejects from the men's board. I posted back in November that this team will be better in February than it was in December. This is absolutely true.

I also wonder if all the experts that post here have any idea that there are 7, that's right 7, players sitting on the RU bench that will be eligible next year. Several are due to injuries that would have made a dramatic difference to this year's team, and the others are transfers. All are arguably as good or better than every player on this year's team.

Any rationale person that combines the progress the under-talented team has had this year with what is already a given for next year, knows that the 2017-18 team will be light years better than this year. Therefore, anyone who thinks that Hobbs is going to get rid of CVS after this year is at best delusional, and at worst anti-women's sports.

As the article posted above clearly explains, the talent problem in WBB is a direct result of facilities and contract mismanagement by the RU athletic administration, just one of many examples of RU's amateur athletic management. If you can't remember the debacles in men's basketball and football then I can't help you. The real choices were to fire CVS or extend her contract. The athletic administration chose door three, a series of one year contracts that allowed the maximum amount of negative recruiting possible. When you combine that with horrendous facilities you have what you have now. If the men's program had been successful under the same circumstances you might have an argument, but you can't blame the failures of the men's program on the athletic admin and give them a pass on the women's program and blame everything on the coach. The fact is that CVS is a better basketball coach, and has been for over 20 years, than any men's coach we have had during that time. Pikiell may break that string, but by his resume alone he is way behind.

CVS may not get back to her glory years, only time will tell, but she is finally getting some of the AD support that all of the coaches she competes against have had all along.

stop blaming everything else but CVS...she brought in a top 5 class and they were mediocre teams...now you blame facilities and contracts...gee well she already got talented players and did nothing and then look at all the wasted talent last year..whats that excuse, and the year before underperformed as well...save your excuses, she will always have a contract issue because she is old and her success is declining and she gets paid too much relative to your success in the last 8 years.....look at the actual attendance the last 8 years not some inflated number they put...home games under 1000, thats unthinkable, RU would get crowds of 2500 during the week and over 4k on the weekend...the program is dead right now, it will take a massive rebuild and wake up...CVS isnt doing it at her age....Rutgers is the doormat of the Big 10...wait until Brenda goes up against CVS..it will be 100-30 while our fans take digs at her despite being incredibly successful every year and more to come

Reactions: shields
The team is playing better now then at the beginning of the year, however having 4 players that have to play nearly every minute of every game leads to turnovers & fouls down the stretch.

and who's fault is that she doesnt have players....I swear this excuse is used every single year.

Just for the record, I am not predicting that CVS will take us back to the final four. There are only 4 teams in the NCAA that get that achievement and there are a lot more than 4 teams in the NCAA that are so far ahead of us in facilities, budget and support that you could bring Brenda here (she would never come here because she could not recruit here either) and we would still not make the final four.

That being said, I can't think of any other RU sport that has been to the final four twice. and under the same coach. CVS' age is definitely a factor. By the time the facilities are here it will probably be too late for her, but that is not her fault. After all the success she had had at Rutgers, perhaps the most of any coach at Rutgers, the amount of support she has been given over the last ten years is appalling. And that along with the lack of recognition, both by Rutgers and the state is amazing. By comparison, Schiano is a God for never winning a conference championship and beating the little sisters of the poor in some bowl games.

It would be the most ruthless step (but not shocking because this is Rutgers) if Hobbs replaced her before she got to 1000 wins. She will have a very good team next year and the year after. She will continue to represent the University well and with class, and she will retire on her terms as one of the greatest coaches in Rutgers history and women's basketball history. If Rutgers screws that up, I hope I am not the only one that walks away from the university very sad, but not surprised.

BTW: If you are picking on WBB because you think they should be competing for national championships it is most likely because they already have, for many years. Let's get to work on some of the other sports at RU who have yet to earn our disdain, I guess because they have never shown the potential for national prominence.

and who's fault is that she doesnt have players....I swear this excuse is used every single year.
In this particular case, she has the players - a full roster. Not allowed to have any more. They just can't play. Injuries and transfer years. As to why the transfers instead of real recruits for next season - couldn't tell you.

As to your comment about Nebraska, yes, they fired their coach. She was, apparently, "too intense" for some of the players, since reading a variety of pieces revealed that she didn't seem to be doing anything horrid (a la a few RU historical items on the men's side), rather, things she said could either motivate you or drive you down, and players on the most recent team (unlike prior teams) took them as driving them down. Like most schools, Nebraska ditched the coach rather than stand up for anything questionable.

You can compare to Illinois - where there clearly was "something" and a settled lawsuit - but the coach is still there.

Just for the record, I am not predicting that CVS will take us back to the final four. There are only 4 teams in the NCAA that get that achievement and there are a lot more than 4 teams in the NCAA that are so far ahead of us in facilities, budget and support that you could bring Brenda here (she would never come here because she could not recruit here either) and we would still not make the final four.

That being said, I can't think of any other RU sport that has been to the final four twice. and under the same coach. CVS' age is definitely a factor. By the time the facilities are here it will probably be too late for her, but that is not her fault. After all the success she had had at Rutgers, perhaps the most of any coach at Rutgers, the amount of support she has been given over the last ten years is appalling. And that along with the lack of recognition, both by Rutgers and the state is amazing. By comparison, Schiano is a God for never winning a conference championship and beating the little sisters of the poor in some bowl games.

It would be the most ruthless step (but not shocking because this is Rutgers) if Hobbs replaced her before she got to 1000 wins. She will have a very good team next year and the year after. She will continue to represent the University well and with class, and she will retire on her terms as one of the greatest coaches in Rutgers history and women's basketball history. If Rutgers screws that up, I hope I am not the only one that walks away from the university very sad, but not surprised.

BTW: If you are picking on WBB because you think they should be competing for national championships it is most likely because they already have, for many years. Let's get to work on some of the other sports at RU who have yet to earn our disdain, I guess because they have never shown the potential for national prominence.

I dont need national championship...top 25 finishes, relevancy in womens hoops. There is simply no reason that RU is worse than Illinois..none, CVS has roster management issues all the time..thats on her not anyone else or because of something else

Reactions: RizwranII
So many ostriches on this board, or rejects from the men's board. I posted back in November that this team will be better in February than it was in December. This is absolutely true.

I also wonder if all the experts that post here have any idea that there are 7, that's right 7, players sitting on the RU bench that will be eligible next year. Several are due to injuries that would have made a dramatic difference to this year's team, and the others are transfers. All are arguably as good or better than every player on this year's team.

Any rationale person that combines the progress the under-talented team has had this year with what is already a given for next year, knows that the 2017-18 team will be light years better than this year. Therefore, anyone who thinks that Hobbs is going to get rid of CVS after this year is at best delusional, and at worst anti-women's sports.

As the article posted above clearly explains, the talent problem in WBB is a direct result of facilities and contract mismanagement by the RU athletic administration, just one of many examples of RU's amateur athletic management. If you can't remember the debacles in men's basketball and football then I can't help you. The real choices were to fire CVS or extend her contract. The athletic administration chose door three, a series of one year contracts that allowed the maximum amount of negative recruiting possible. When you combine that with horrendous facilities you have what you have now. If the men's program had been successful under the same circumstances you might have an argument, but you can't blame the failures of the men's program on the athletic admin and give them a pass on the women's program and blame everything on the coach. The fact is that CVS is a better basketball coach, and has been for over 20 years, than any men's coach we have had during that time. Pikiell may break that string, but by his resume alone he is way behind.

CVS may not get back to her glory years, only time will tell, but she is finally getting some of the AD support that all of the coaches she competes against have had all along.
This is not the first time you have been down right nasty talking about people who don't agree w you. (ostriches; delusional and REJECTS}. Stop acting like a 5 year old. I wonder if you would have been given a warning if you had the opposite opinion of whether CVS should be back.

I dont need national championship...top 25 finishes, relevancy in womens hoops. There is simply no reason that RU is worse than Illinois..none, CVS has roster management issues all the time..thats on her not anyone else or because of something else
So true!!

Rutgers Women's Badketball is not just a non-tournament team, it is a losing team. No excuses for this. Time for change. Hobbs should have changed at the end of last year.

Reactions: bac2therac
Agree 100% with Bac!! As for nyour other attacks yes theatre are other sports where I feel Hobbs isv. Kicking hthe can down the street so. To speak. Women's lacrosse underperforming for years now. There is no way this coach should still be at Rutgers. Men's soccer also. The team won 2 games this year the coach should not be retained. Why they are my only guess is that are other sports are so financially hamstrung that he will not get rid of these coaches

My condolences to Bac, Riz, Rich and their crowd. If you listened to the Hobbs show tonight you have to be in the doldrums. He basically said, you are wrong on facilities, you are wrong on next year's team and there is not going to be any coaching change.

But keep up the mantra. After all, it is your agenda. Stand up for yourselves.

It is not an agenda we all live and die with all Rutgers sports and we want every sport to excel at Rutgers but the fact is she is well past her prime and the game has passed her by and we need a new coach if this program is going to get to the level we all want it to.

(1) It was said not much should be expected from RU WBB this season but (2) next year's team might be a B1G Title contender.
Looks like the first part of that statement is being proved true and Hobbs has enough faith in CVS to think her coaching talent will be a reason the second part will come true.

Though the team isn't doing well in terms of wins, the play has improved from the beginning of this season.
The more I think about it, the more I feel Hobbs will bring Stringer back, much to the dismay of some of the RU fans that post on this board.
I'll not complain if Hobbs doesn't bring back Vivian, but if he replaces her on the cheap:those who are complaining about C. Vivian Stringer now will seem like lightweights as complainers once I get started complaining about Hobbs hiring the new RU WBB HC on the cheap.
Though I doubt Hobbs will replace CVS on the cheap, I can't count that out .
Needless to say, if a on the cheap hire starts off strong, no complaint from me :D

the team didnt contend for a title its previous two years with 3 WNBA type players, what makes you think its going to compete for a league title with just one..if she comes back. Lets remember this team blew a 13 point lead at home to MSU last year in like the last 6 minutes that basically killed its NCAA hopes. Alot of these transfers were not exactly lighting it up elsewhere and CVS track record with transfers from schools hasnt been all that hot

so they bring her back they finish 18-13 and go to the NIT and she comes back again where they drop below 500 and then what. ooh she complains because she needs a new contract to rebuild everything again...the excuse that no one will come because of the contract is an excuse coaches make

Reactions: RizwranII
the team didnt contend for a title its previous two years with 3 WNBA type players, what makes you think its going to compete for a league title with just one..if she comes back. Lets remember this team blew a 13 point lead at home to MSU last year in like the last 6 minutes that basically killed its NCAA hopes. Alot of these transfers were not exactly lighting it up elsewhere and CVS track record with transfers from schools hasnt been all that hot

so they bring her back they finish 18-13 and go to the NIT and she comes back again where they drop below 500 and then what. ooh she complains because she needs a new contract to rebuild everything again...the excuse that no one will come because of the contract is an excuse coaches make

The 7 transfers next season not one of them averaged more than 7 pts per game. Strictly just bodies to fill up the roster. Also when I met with CVS at a practice, she stated 2018 season would be when we should greatly improve because we are in with some top recruits.Question is will they come here?

It is not an agenda we all live and die with all Rutgers sports and we want every sport to excel at Rutgers but the fact is she is well past her prime and the game has passed her by and we need a new coach if this program is going to get to the level we all want it to.
Well put RichTD. Oldtimer67 isn't worth the effort to respond to, even though I have always been worried that Hobbs would be blinded by the historical CVS and not truly see the present one.

Yeah Riz I was surprised by this because he had the similar situation(although to a lesser scale on the accomplishments of the coach) at Seton Hall when he had to let Mangini go and he did which is really what I thought he would do here but oh well;

So Hobbs has publicly given CVS a vote of confidence? I guess that settles it then. After all, in the history of sport, no coach has ever been dismissed after receiving an in-season vote of confidence. I think it may be illegal.

To repeat, until it's reported that the long-awaited contract extension is signed, CVS' return remains problematic. I don't think Hobbs will bring her back as a lame duck without the extension, but who knows.

Yeah Riz I was surprised by this because he had the similar situation(although to a lesser scale on the accomplishments of the coach) at Seton Hall when he had to let Mangini go and he did which is really what I thought he would do here but oh well;
I'll keep my fingers crossed. I know we all hope the team goes undefeated the rest of the season. But if they end up w 6 wins or even maybe 5, Hobbs may follow the SH route, especially if we have a few total blow out loses. (which I feel unfortunately is likely)

GO RU!!!

Didn't Mangina retire in 2010 (Hobbs might have forced it) with an overall record of 341–345 ?
There is a little difference in what Phyllis and CVS accomplished over the course of their careers when talking about what Hobbs might do. So thinking Hobbs will treat them the same might be a mistake.
But I feel Hobbs will suggest to Vivian that she should consider retiring if he doesn't plan on bringing her back next season and that hasn't been decided yet.

As for the vote of confidence he gave Stringer, that could quickly change once RU's season is over. Or stand fast, according to how the team looks by the end of this season.

How is this for relevancy? The WBB team has won more conference games than the football and MBB teams COMBINED. Of course, that is not hard since those teams have not won any.

From the Hobbs radio show:

at 5:10 "the women are struggling a little bit this year, up and down, but coach has some really talented players on the bench that are going to come in and be really good additions next year."

at 25:37 "If you don't have facilities, it is hard to recruit, it's hard to give your student athletes everything they need by way of resources. We are one of the few Division 1 programs in the country that doesn't have a practice court for our basketball programs, so students come in we are recruiting right now and they look down at the RAC floor and they say 'OK, where is the practice facility?', well we don't have one, that's a communication right away, you are not building Taj Majals, but you have to have the appropriate facilities to compete in the Big Ten, to go against our peers in the Big Ten."

Didn't Mangina retire in 2010 (Hobbs might have forced it) with an overall record of 341–345 ?
There is a little difference in what Phyllis and CVS accomplished over the course of their careers when talking about what Hobbs might do. So thinking Hobbs will treat them the same might be a mistake.
But I feel Hobbs will suggest to Vivian that she should consider retiring if he doesn't plan on bringing her back next season and that hasn't been decided yet.

As for the vote of confidence he gave Stringer, that could quickly change once RU's season is over. Or stand fast, according to how the team looks by the end of this season.
Excellent point Madhat.. I am not a big Sh follower, I knew Mangina was not in the H of F class, but didn't realize she was below .500. Wonder if she is still coaching.

Side note Men looked good in first half vs NorthW, but 2nd half not so good.

From the Hobbs radio show:

at 5:10 "the women are struggling a little bit this year, up and down, but coach has some really talented players on the bench that are going to come in and be really good additions next year."

at 25:37 "If you don't have facilities, it is hard to recruit, it's hard to give your student athletes everything they need by way of resources. We are one of the few Division 1 programs in the country that doesn't have a practice court for our basketball programs, so students come in we are recruiting right now and they look down at the RAC floor and they say 'OK, where is the practice facility?', well we don't have one, that's a communication right away, you are not building Taj Majals, but you have to have the appropriate facilities to compete in the Big Ten, to go against our peers in the Big Ten."
Against my better judgment, I am replying to Oldtimer67. But OT has made a point that seems to be a big deal when discussing CVS's decline in recruiting...namely the facilities.

I find this to just be another excuse. Her recruiting classes went from consistently great to dropping off a cliff a few years ago, with the same facilities.

What about Geno.They still play many games in the campus facility that is even more antiquated that the RAC. The difference is that UCONN can lure recruits w playing at the pro-style Hartford Center.

Why doesn't RU use the same recruiting tool, using the Newark PAC or MSG. Because, our attendance record is a joke. It would be a big timelosing proposition and not very good for PR, when 1,500 people show up at an 18,000 seat arena. And 5 years ago, when CVS still had recruiting magic, (but still stunk as a game time coach and an offensive coach) the 3,000 average attendance was not much of a reason to play in big arenas.

So throw out the facility argument. Newark PAC and MSG are just sitting there to be used just as UCONN uses the Hartford Center.

Against my better judgment, I am replying to Oldtimer67. But OT has made a point that seems to be a big deal when discussing CVS's decline in recruiting...namely the facilities.

I find this to just be another excuse. Her recruiting classes went from consistently great to dropping off a cliff a few years ago, with the same facilities.

What about Geno.They still play many games in the campus facility that is even more antiquated that the RAC. The difference is that UCONN can lure recruits w playing at the pro-style Hartford Center.

Why doesn't RU use the same recruiting tool, using the Newark PAC or MSG. Because, our attendance record is a joke. It would be a big timelosing proposition and not very good for PR, when 1,500 people show up at an 18,000 seat arena. And 5 years ago, when CVS still had recruiting magic, (but still stunk as a game time coach and an offensive coach) the 3,000 average attendance was not much of a reason to play in big arenas.

So throw out the facility argument. Newark PAC and MSG are just sitting there to be used just as UCONN uses the Hartford Center.

You folks keep resorting to sillier and sillier arguments. First talking about attendance at WBB games. Outside of the top ten teams, mostly located in rural areas, WBB attendance is historically abominable everywhere. And it wasn't good at RU in the years we went to the final four. Second, comparing RU or any other program to UConn is just crazy. UConn in WBB is number one and the next best team is number ten.

I don't assign bad motives to you and Bac and the others who have an agenda against CVS, but your arguments just keep getting weaker and weaker. The bottom line is we are all going to get what we want. CVS will be here through 2019 when she has her 1000 wins and the new practice floor is name after her, and then we will have a new coach. What we all should be focused on is making sure the new coach is someone who can produce results as good as CVS in her best years.

BTW: If you don't believe this, you should realize that Hobbs is smart enough to know that now is not the right time to replace CVS. 1) she is a great representative of the university, 2) she is a great mentor for young women, especially women's basketball players, and more especially for african-american women's basketball players, and 3) after the new practice facility is in place, the court at that facility is named in her honor, RU receives all the positive press from her 1000 wins, and she announces her retirement, it will be much easier to replace her with a high level coach to continue the tradition of WBB at Rutgers University. In no way does Rutgers need the negative publicity of firing a Hall of Fame coach who is the model of what a WBB coach should be just short of achieving 1000 wins.

- No, facilities cannot be entirely blamed for the drop off in recruiting, there are many factors. However, even back in the glory days CVS complained that the lack of a practice facility was an issue with players. At the time she was able to overcome it, later, not so much. It would indeed be a handicap to recruiting, regardless of the coach.

- UConn's ability to attract recruits has absolutely nothing to do with the facilities they play in. In fact, their "pro style" arena has always been a bit of a dump, however, their on-court facility is showing its age. I'm not sure, however, that antiquated would be the correct word to describe it, it is newer than the RAC. And they do have a practice facility for the men and women that opened in the last 4 years. However, players go there not even because every game is televised nationally - but because it is perceived as the best team most likely to win a Natty almost every year and develop players for the next level the best. Just sayin.

- No, facilities cannot be entirely blamed for the drop off in recruiting, there are many factors. However, even back in the glory days CVS complained that the lack of a practice facility was an issue with players. At the time she was able to overcome it, later, not so much. It would indeed be a handicap to recruiting, regardless of the coach.

- UConn's ability to attract recruits has absolutely nothing to do with the facilities they play in. In fact, their "pro style" arena has always been a bit of a dump, however, their on-court facility is showing its age. I'm not sure, however, that antiquated would be the correct word to describe it, it is newer than the RAC. And they do have a practice facility for the men and women that opened in the last 4 years. However, players go there not even because every game is televised nationally - but because it is perceived as the best team most likely to win a Natty almost every year and develop players for the next level the best. Just sayin.
Have no idea if u agreed w my point or disagreed. I guess it was a little of this and a little of that. Hartford Civic center is indeed a pro style arena. The point I was making is that RU, due to its pathetic attendance record, can't use the fact of playing in any large out of campus arena.

CVS is done as a coach. All of issues mean nothing ultimately. She could have a 20 year contract and our on campus arena could be MSG. And she still would be done..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT