ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Nebraska 1/10/17 8PM

They actually stayed out in the Midwest following the Illinois game. Hopefully this helps pick up a road win.

Pretty ugly 7 combined turnovers between the teams in the first 4 mi utes. 3-2 Nebraska at the first media timeout.

Was tied 11-11 ... Horrible end to the quarter down 16-11

Down 16-11 end of one. This is a road game we can win.

If I recall the big center, Shepherd, had a big game against us as a freshman last year.

The color commentator is barely getting words out of her mouth. Painful to listen to. Ladies need to watch the parameter and collect the rebounds and this game will start swinging in our favor

Reactions: RUClassof67
Seems some starters were benched. Only 4 pontes behind at half. Who starts 2nd half ?

Need Sanders to get her confidence and start scoring. Will help a lot in opening up space for Jeune, Parker and Barber

Down 16-11 end of one. This is a road game we can win.

If I recall the big center, Shepherd, had a big game against us as a freshman last year.
Just checked on it. Shepherd scored 22 and 23 in the two regular season games.

BTW, Jeune with 13 at half, 3-4 from 3. I think someone must have had a talk with her.

Meanwhile, our next opponent Michigan St is beating #11 Ohio State by 18 late in the 3rd.

B1G record in all sports year to date is 13-49-4 ... look at the fall and winter sports on scarletknights.com and see for yourself.

Nothing surprises me when it comes to RU losing in sports.

Down 6 under a minute left. So many opportunities. Turnovers, missed free throws. Could have been a road win.

I give up this team isn't progressing.
SW - I disagree they have lapses which cost them. But they are a much better team than at the start of the year. Just not what we are used to seeing.

This was a game which could have been won. 2 less turnovers and a couple made fits and the score is different.

Reactions: dmd78
Frustrating. Free throws were the difference this game along with many bad turnovers the first half. Ladies should have won it but the youth showed and they couldn't toughen up when they brought it close multiple times. Come back home and regroup. Try to keep winning home games and get closer on the away games.

SW - I disagree they have lapses which cost them. But they are a much better team than at the start of the year. Just not what we are used to seeing.

This was a game which could have been won. 2 less turnovers and a couple made fits and the score is different.[/QU

Really we talk about this all the time. They can't make free throws and our point guards cannot keep the ball. What the hell Parker and Sanders. You let the ball stolen from you? Sorry unacceptable.

This was a game which could have been won. 2 less turnovers and a couple made fits and the score is different.
Stop w the excuses. H of F coach (again w no responsibility from the commentators) shows her game time coaching skills. The revolving starting lineups, that I have stated over the years, continues.

Think about this. RU is truly now a team that is in a rebuilding stage. Does anyone truly believe that CVS is the person to undertake this task.

Bottom line and even though I hate saying it: the team playing better then it did before isn't much consolation after a loss.

At the end of year it's the Ws & Ls that will be what counts the most and playing better as the season moves on is nice to see, but really is nothing if Rutgers loses the game.
RU is 5-13 and that doesn't look good to me .
Unless the team starts winning , any improvement play doesn't overshadow the losses in my opinion.
Hopefully the improvement that starts happening will be seeing Ws after a game and not Ls.

edit: as for rebuilding stage and if Vivian is up to it:
Honestly I'm not sure, but wouldn't bet against CVS being able to do it.
But I don't think I'll find out , unless this season turns around in a big way.
I doubt Hobbs will take a chance on Stringer next season and he'll replace her with someone he feels can get RU back to where Vivian Stringer once had the RU WBB program.

Last edited:
Bottom line and even though I hate saying it: the team playing better then it did before isn't much consolation after a loss.

At the end of year it's the Ws & Ls that will be what counts the most and playing better as the season moves on is nice to see, but really is nothing if Rutgers loses the game.
RU is 5-13 and that doesn't look good to me .
Unless the team starts winning , any improvement play doesn't overshadow the losses in my opinion.
Hopefully the improvement that starts happening will be seeing Ws after a game and not Ls.
I see RU hopefully beating a weak Iowa team at home. Iowa has a winning record that is full of bad loses. If we do get better, we may win the first round of the Big Ten tourney. So I will go w a prediction of a 6 win season. A la Eddie Jordan, no excuse is enough. Time for CVS to ride into the sunset.

Besides Tyler, there are no players that regularly populated CVS's RU recruiting classes of the past, playing next year, including the transfers.

I remember being bummed when an incoming player was not in the top 40 nationally. Actually got used to at least 1-3 McDonald AA's every year. Ain't going to happen again w CVS.

I give up this team isn't progressing.
The team is playing better now then at the beginning of the year, however having 4 players that have to play nearly every minute of every game leads to turnovers & fouls down the stretch.

Reactions: dmd78
I see RU hopefully beating a weak Iowa team at home. Iowa has a winning record that is full of bad loses. If we do get better, we may win the first round of the Big Ten tourney. So I will go w a prediction of a 6 win season. A la Eddie Jordan, no excuse is enough. Time for CVS to ride into the sunset.

Besides Tyler, there are no players that regularly populated CVS's RU recruiting classes of the past, playing next year, including the transfers.

I remember being bummed when an incoming player was not in the top 40 nationally. Actually got used to at least 1-3 McDonald AA's every year. Ain't going to happen again w CVS.
Given that all of RU's wins are at home, thus far, I suppose Iowa would be the best bet. But it is certainly not a sure thing.

Gut wrenching awful season. If Vivian can convince Hobbs to bring her back - as I said another time - then he knows things the fan base doesn't. As much as I like and support Vivian - and understand, as much as a fan can, some of the issues - I just don't see how she can recruit after this season. Recruits (among other things) want winning programs.

Reactions: RizwranII
October 27, 2016

New contract negotiations, new Rutgers facility leads to new C. Vivian Stringer
By Ryan Dunleavy | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

PISCATAWAY -- C. Vivian Stringer is no architect but that hasn't stopped the excited Rutgers women's basketball coach from drawing for her recruiting targets.

Stringer has been sketching from memory plans for the new Rutgers multi-purpose practice facility, which officially will be underway Tuesday with a groundbreaking ceremony.

"I don't draw very well, but I even had a hand drawing and I gave it to them and said, 'This is what we're going to have,'" Stringer said Thursday at media day. "They didn't want me to take the top-secret plans. I'm doing the best I can with what I saw."

Abro1975: You surely know better than to quote an entire article here. Please update with a link to the referenced story. Thank you. - Diana

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the reported contract extension actually been signed? I am guessing no, otherwise I assume it would have been announced.

If not, then she has just one year left after this one, with a buyout equal to 35% of her final year's salary which I believe is $700K. Financially manageable, I would think.

So many ostriches on this board, or rejects from the men's board. I posted back in November that this team will be better in February than it was in December. This is absolutely true.

I also wonder if all the experts that post here have any idea that there are 7, that's right 7, players sitting on the RU bench that will be eligible next year. Several are due to injuries that would have made a dramatic difference to this year's team, and the others are transfers. All are arguably as good or better than every player on this year's team.

Any rationale person that combines the progress the under-talented team has had this year with what is already a given for next year, knows that the 2017-18 team will be light years better than this year. Therefore, anyone who thinks that Hobbs is going to get rid of CVS after this year is at best delusional, and at worst anti-women's sports.

As the article posted above clearly explains, the talent problem in WBB is a direct result of facilities and contract mismanagement by the RU athletic administration, just one of many examples of RU's amateur athletic management. If you can't remember the debacles in men's basketball and football then I can't help you. The real choices were to fire CVS or extend her contract. The athletic administration chose door three, a series of one year contracts that allowed the maximum amount of negative recruiting possible. When you combine that with horrendous facilities you have what you have now. If the men's program had been successful under the same circumstances you might have an argument, but you can't blame the failures of the men's program on the athletic admin and give them a pass on the women's program and blame everything on the coach. The fact is that CVS is a better basketball coach, and has been for over 20 years, than any men's coach we have had during that time. Pikiell may break that string, but by his resume alone he is way behind.

CVS may not get back to her glory years, only time will tell, but she is finally getting some of the AD support that all of the coaches she competes against have had all along.

Reactions: scarlettb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT