ADVERTISEMENT

RU Women's Soccer--Some thoughts & observations

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
IMO this is a very good team that can play with & beat anyone.
Most of our starters have been playing excellent soccer. I would put Brocius, Lowrey, Lynch, Kroeger, Misal, Mason, Fluchel & McClelland in that category.
Tiernan, while playing hard all over the pitch, is so hungry for a goal that she is to often a detriment. She is possessing the ball in search of a shot & often takes one from distance with little prospect for success resulting in loss of possession. She is also missing open team mates to often. For example, against Purdue she had the ball on the wing as 3 defenders came toward her while Girman stood alone in front of the net. She either didn't see or look & tried to dribble through all 3 & lost possession.
Daigle, as Dentist & some others have said, is all left foot. So many times she gets the ball with her back to the goal & her first move invariably is to turn to her left & begin to dribble resulting in loss of possession. Her one trick pony move is too easy to defend. She also has a tendency to force low percentage shots from distance.
For us to be able to beat all comers these two girls need to address these tendencies. Tiernan can do it. If she lets the game come to her a goal will come & I believe she will return to the potent offensive weapon that she is in both assists & goals. Not so sure about Daigle. Seems to be a long held tendency. It hurts us in the critically important position of center mid.
Which brings us to Banks. I believe that overall she has improved on last year. Against non elite teams she can hold her own ie: Purdue. Against the better teams that apply a lot of pressure she tends to break down &/or pass the ball to the wrong team. Kyrula is stronger but has some shortcomings as well. Left CB has been & is a weak spot that needs to be addressed. Certainly not sure of the remedy.
Girman off the bench is good, but could be better at moving the ball to an open mate. Also fouls a lot.
Romano has been more than serviceable. Much improved over last year.
Gutowski doesn't seem to be able to add much against this competition. Also likes to beat defenders & is unable to do so.
Post is OK. Will probably be good down the line. Right now the game seems a little to fast & strong for her to be very effective.
I'm sure others can offer more, or a different analysis. That's what I've got for now.
Additional thoughts. We have been markedly better with corner results than we have been in several years. We've had several goals off corners this year, with Emily Mason getting two against Purdue. Granted Purdue's back line is depleted & their starting goalie has been out. Still in past years we couldn't get two a season even if we played 15 games against the Little Sisters of the Poor. Our serves while not consistently good have improved. And when they are decent we are quick & aggressive in the box. Mason said they have been practicing them. They don't have to be pretty but those goals sure do help to win games.
On the other hand, we are still pretty hopeless on free kicks, with the majority flying over the cross bar. Should be able to improve there.
Would like to hear others thoughts.

Last edited:
Dad
I hope none of what I write seems to be in conflict with your thoughts but rather
What comes to my mind.

first Miss Banks indirectly. Think back and we will see PDA has not been that much help in filling the defender spots since 2018. Allison Lynch and Gabby Provenzano had played real well as defenders but they came here, and spent freshman year as mid fielders. The two starters, with us national team experience, had chosen South Carolina and Duke. So no help in 2020.
Kassidy was more complicated as she was not a natural defender. After 2019!club year she was a striker, as best as I recall,
and certainly was in high school. Then New York did not play fall 2020 because of Covid. In the spring she scored 30 goals but that negated time with her PDA team.
So when she stepped on the field for the first time in two years at academy level.
That said you needed someone like her if you wanted to keep attacking both outside mids. Last year she had Gabby to clean up this year not.
We are not there everyday but we brought in 5 grad transfer center backs this year and none see time. So we are back to square one. I will not dwell on Adriana but she is not without flaws either.
We have to live with what we have, no matter the consequences for now, for now.

moving forward we have Naila this year who I think is heiress apparent for Lynch’s spot upongraduation
We took a 2023 commitment from a Pennsylvania girl not unlike Emma Misal.
2024 brings a commit from Michigan Charlotte Mills so the defender issue is addressed outside of our pipeline.
These are mostly outside backs so I might think we will address it yearly with grad transfers
With luck Ms Leffler and Ms Royston will come back as grad transfers in 2024 form Duke and South Carolina

none of this is written in stone but rather what I think
Again Dad thank you for what you bring

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Dad
I hope none of what I write seems to be in conflict with your thoughts but rather
What comes to my mind.

first Miss Banks indirectly. Think back and we will see PDA has not been that much help in filling the defender spots since 2018. Allison Lynch and Gabby Provenzano had played real well as defenders but they came here, and spent freshman year as mid fielders. The two starters, with us national team experience, had chosen South Carolina and Duke. So no help in 2020.
Kassidy was more complicated as she was not a natural defender. After 2019!club year she was a striker, as best as I recall,
and certainly was in high school. Then New York did not play fall 2020 because of Covid. In the spring she scored 30 goals but that negated time with her PDA team.
So when she stepped on the field for the first time in two years at academy level.
That said you needed someone like her if you wanted to keep attacking both outside mids. Last year she had Gabby to clean up this year not.
We are not there everyday but we brought in 5 grad transfer center backs this year and none see time. So we are back to square one. I will not dwell on Adriana but she is not without flaws either.
We have to live with what we have, no matter the consequences for now, for now.

moving forward we have Naila this year who I think is heiress apparent for Lynch’s spot upongraduation
We took a 2023 commitment from a Pennsylvania girl not unlike Emma Misal.
2024 brings a commit from Michigan Charlotte Mills so the defender issue is addressed outside of our pipeline.
These are mostly outside backs so I might think we will address it yearly with grad transfers
With luck Ms Leffler and Ms Royston will come back as grad transfers in 2024 form Duke and South Carolina

none of this is written in stone but rather what I think
Again Dad thank you for what you bring
Ho what do you think about Naila Schoefberger in the couple of games she did get in now I know that was against weaker competition she seemed very fast; what is her position and where is she projected to play in the future?

I am not sure you want me to go on.
Ho what do you think about Naila Schoefberger in the couple of games she did get in now I know that was against weaker competition she seemed very fast; what is her position and where is she projected to play in the future?
as I said she is probably destined to take right back when Allison moves on

I think 2023 Audrey Cain is designed for Emma Misal spot. Moving forward 2024 Charlotte Mills might be looking at Naila ‘ s spot after 2024 . But no basis of fact.

we were spoiled for 8 years with
Skronski/Morash
Visco / Swaby. But mix and match later
So search for center back seems elusive
Naila suffers by being behind Lynch
Not having the advantage of coming up
Through PDA and having 10 years in the Rutgers system

she will be , in her time, be quite good

the 2024 Charlotte Mills plays for National power Michigan Hawks . So to me assuming all girls stay, no reason not to, we are set on the outside for 3-4 years.
But it would be nice to land a top center back.

again only opinion

Last edited:
I am not sure you want me to go on.

as I said she is probably destined to take right back when Allison moves on

I think 2023 Sudrey Cain is designed for Emma Misal spot. Moving forward 2024 Charlotte Mills might be looking at Naila ‘ s spot after 2024 . But no basis of fact.

we were spoiled for 8 years with
Skronski/Morash
Visco / Swaby
So search for center back seems elusive
Naila suffers by being behind Lynch
Not having the advantage of coming up
Through PDA and having -0 years in the Rutgers system

she will be , in her time, be quite good

the 2024 Charlotte Mills plays for National power Michigan Hawks . So to me assuming all girls stay, no reason not to, we are set on the outside for 3-4 years.
But it would be nice to land a top center back.

again only opinion
How hard is it to convert one of them to a center back in your opinion?

Believe Nalia was a CB before RU. Also Lynch has another year if she wants it.

Last edited:
How hard is it to convert one of them to a center back in your opinion?
I was , in the day, a sweeper ( so a little like center back. But god there are tons of opinions in that to be Amanda Visco or more so Erica Skronski it’s a total defensive attitude with an inherent sense of angles, speeds, going to where a persons going to be, a strong sense of how to get a ball effectively out of very tight quarters, jumping ability to block corner kicks. All without much acclaim.

I mean anyone can do their best But I think you are asking how to excel. Unpopular as hell would be Emily Mason is as talented as a girl can be but is she by definition a center back. You can make a case of cb’ed mids reacting to the ball so well our center backs are not hugely threatened

I really have no clue how you scout g go or them but they do not appear to be coming from PDA

as for forwards yeah those struggling are overthink everything rather than just

IMO this is a very good team that can play with & beat anyone.
Most of our starters have been playing excellent soccer. I would put Brocius, Lowrey, Lynch, Kroeger, Misal, Mason, Fluchel & McClelland in that category.
Tiernan, while playing hard all over the pitch, is so hungry for a goal that she is to often a detriment. She is possessing the ball in search of a shot & often takes one from distance with little prospect for success resulting in loss of possession. She is also missing open team mates to often. For example, against Purdue she had the ball on the wing as 3 defenders came toward her while Girman stood alone in front of the net. She either didn't see or look & tried to dribble through all 3 & lost possession.
Daigle, as Dentist & some others have said, is all left foot. So many times she gets the ball with her back to the goal & her first move invariably is to turn to her left & begin to dribble resulting in loss of possession. Her one trick pony move is too easy to defend. She also has a tendency to force low percentage shots from distance.
For us to be able to beat all comers these two girls need to address these tendencies. Tiernan can do it. If she lets the game come to her a goal will come & I believe she will return to the potent offensive weapon that she is in both assists & goals. Not so sure about Daigle. Seems to be a long held tendency. It hurts us in the critically important position of center mid.
Which brings us to Banks. I believe that overall she has improved on last year. Against non elite teams she can hold her own ie: Purdue. Against the better teams that apply a lot of pressure she tends to break down &/or pass the ball to the wrong team. Kyrula is stronger but has some shortcomings as well. Left CB has been & is a weak spot that needs to be addressed. Certainly not sure of the remedy.
Girman off the bench is good, but could be better at moving the ball to an open mate. Also fouls a lot.
Romano has been more than serviceable. Much improved over last year.
Gutowski doesn't seem to be able to add much against this competition. Also likes to beat defenders & is unable to do so.
Post is OK. Will probably be good down the line. Right now the game seems a little to fast & strong for her to be very effective.
I'm sure others can offer more, or a different analysis. That's what I've got for now.
Additional thoughts. We have been markedly better with corner results than we have been in several years. We've had several goals off corners this year, with Emily Mason getting two against Purdue. Granted Purdue's back line is depleted & their starting goalie has been out. Still in past years we couldn't get two a season even if we played 15 games against the Little Sisters of the Poor. Our serves while not consistently good have improved. And when they are decent we are quick & aggressive in the box. Mason said they have been practicing them. They don't have to be pretty but those goals sure do help to win games.
On the other hand, we are still pretty hopeless on free kicks, with the majority flying over the cross bar. Should be able to improve there.
Would like to hear others thoughts.
Agree about all and I know that Riley is pressing so much she is making bad decisions the main thing I don’t like is she has her girl beat many times down the wing and is set up to what should be a good cross and she does that move where she stops and then has to beat 2 more girls
She is shooting when she should be passing and passing when she could be shooting or like you said in the second half of the Purdue game she just totally missed a wide open Girman for what would have been an easy goal
As for Daigle I think she has actually been better the last two games in not keeping the ball on her feet too long and making better passes
My one problem is that he moves Sam around to different positions in the game and I like when she plays a more offensive role

Just a note about Daigle and giernan and suspect I am in the monority as I really like Kylie as a player.
Riley is much better on the left side so that impacts Daigle. She, to me, should be on the left side where her body would would be protecting the ball. On the right the ball is between her and the goal

all those players we like are very good in their positioning but none of them can create their own shots and Riley is our point guard, and Kylie to a certain degree.

I don’t expect this to be a popular decision but, to me, those two can create and are the playmakers or pass or fail I want it in their hands.

again that’s me and it’s ok to have a contrary opinion.

Just a note about Daigle and giernan and suspect I am in the monority as I really like Kylie as a player.
Riley is much better on the left side so that impacts Daigle. She, to me, should be on the left side where her body would would be protecting the ball. On the right the ball is between her and the goal

all those players we like are very good in their positioning but none of them can create their own shots and Riley is our point guard, and Kylie to a certain degree.

I don’t expect this to be a popular decision but, to me, those two can create and are the playmakers or pass or fail I want it in their hands.

again that’s me and it’s ok to have a contrary opinion.
The thing is at home he switches Riley each half as always she plays on the side the Rutgers bench is on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT