ADVERTISEMENT

RU Wrestling Recruits State Tourney Results

Britton is pinned in first period. No video so can't give details.

EDIT: Not a pin. He lost by default.

Last edited:
Villareal loses in CA state final 3-2 after his foot/ankle got stepped on in first when we was winning. He gave up a takedown right after and gutted it out but was unable to finish his shots. Tough way to lose.

We need a solid win more than they lose national qualifier type to start with at heavy weight. Certainly would like a legit aa type. I dont know if sistrunk from bound brook would walk on he looked pretty agile against fernades. I also dont know what the project tion is for lightner.

We need a solid win more than they lose national qualifier type to start with at heavy weight. Certainly would like a legit aa type. I dont know if sistrunk from bound brook would walk on he looked pretty agile against fernades. I also dont know what the project tion is for lightner.

He is definitely short for a HWT.I dont's seem him having success at the DIV 1 level against taller opponents.Walk on with no money will be tough to do, if he is getting courted by D2 teams with scholarship money.I definitely agree with us going after a high end HWT that can breakthrough.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I forgot to mention this before, but on the prep broadcast, the announcers said Turley plans to wrestle at 174 next year. If this is true, this would likely mean a red-shirt for him unless Grello drops to 165.

I guess if Turley is really beating Grello in the room, he could take over at 174. Grello did certify at 165 this year, but I really don't see him dropping to 165 next year.

Reactions: MS-RU and Abro1975
I forgot to mention this before, but on the prep broadcast, the announcers said Turley plans to wrestle at 174 next year. If this is true, this would likely mean a red-shirt for him unless Grello drops to 165.

I guess if Turley is really beating Grello in the room, he could take over at 174. Grello did certify at 165 this year, but I really don't see him dropping to 165 next year.

I highly doubt Turley will be able to beat Grello next year. The transition from HS to college wrestling is brutal. Turley will improve by leaps and bounds after a few months in the room and I am really excited to watch him wrestle for RU but that is a lot to ask for all but the elite of the elite. Grello will qualify for NCAA’s with a shot to AA next year if he keeps improving. We have some young talent in Aguilar, Robinson, Benner, Janzer, Aragona, Kanniard and Turley with more coming the next year in Shawver, O’Neill and Poznanski. Let them develop and keep expectations in check. Santos was a nice surprise and comes back from injury as well.

Last edited:
I highly doubt Turley will be able to beat Grello next year. The transition from HS to college wrestling is brutal. Turley will improve by leaps and bounds after a few months in the room and I am really excited to watch him wrestle for RU but that is a lot to ask for all but the elite of the elite. Grello will qualify for NCAA’s with a shot to AA next year if he keeps improving. We have some young talent in Aguilar, Robinson, Benner, Janzer, Aragona, Kanniard and Turley with more coming the next year in Shawver, O’Neill and Poznanski. Let them develop and keep expectations in check. Santos was a nice surprise and comes back from injury as well.

I totally agree he is not beating Grello yet.Let's not get ahead of ourselves as he needs to prove himself in the room.Redshirt Turley developing him in a year.I do not see anyone of these guys coming in right away starting.Even our best wretsler of all time AA had a redshirt year to get acclimated to the college wrestling grind.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't think Turley will beat Grello either next year.

Ohio doesn't make it easy to find there information (i'm sure if I followed Ohio wrestling it would be easy), but for our Ohio verbal commit Dylan Shawver who is a Junior with a 40-4 record he won (what would be the equivalent to our district) with the following results at 126 pounds.

Qtr finals Pin 0:57
Semi finals Pin 3:39
Finals won 11-8

David Taylor in his Flo biography special commented how dejected he was after initially arriving in the PSU room his freshman year. Once it clicked, it clicked. But those first few weeks to months in a Div 1 room is no joke.

Reactions: rondi

I totally agree he is not beating Grello yet.Let's not get ahead of ourselves as he needs to prove himself in the room.Redshirt Turley developing him in a year.I do not see anyone of these guys coming in right away starting.Even our best wretsler of all time AA had a redshirt year to get acclimated to the college wrestling grind.
If I recall, AA had a medical redshirt his freshman year. I believe he was projected to start as a freshman but was injured

If I recall, AA had a medical redshirt his freshman year. I believe he was projected to start as a freshman but was injured[/QUOTE

The plan was for AA to redshirt his freshman year. He wrestled in one or two opens, got hurt and then came back at the end of the year. He could have beat Dippery out, but the plan was redshirt AA and let Dippery wrestle, then redshirt Dippery and have AA wrestle.

If I recall, AA had a medical redshirt his freshman year. I believe he was projected to start as a freshman but was injured

So AA had two medical redshirts? I think it was a regular redshirt which he has benefited from helping with his development & growth.

You don't get a second redshirt unless both are medical.

I think this is semantics. He received a 6th year. The first was a redshirt year (whether partially for medical or for development purposes). He then applied for a 6th year because he missed his entire senior year due to injury.

I'm not sure about that, I think only 1 regular red shirt and 1 medical redshirt. Not positive though.

I think this is semantics. He received a 6th year. The first was a redshirt year (whether partially for medical or for development purposes). He then applied for a 6th year because he missed his entire senior year due to injury.

In order to qualify for a 6th year, you need to miss 2 years due to injury (or other certain circumstances outside of the athletes control). The rule you are up against is the 5 year clock which gives every athlete 5 years from matriculation in which to compete. The other rule, which states you can only compete in 4 of those 5 years is separate.

Redshirting rules that have provisions about participation deals with whether you have used one of your 4 years of eligibility -- it has nothing to do with your 5 year clock. So merely redshirting, without injury, will not qualify you for a clock extension. They give you the 6th year if you miss 2 years due to circumstances outside of your control. The rules are also different. For example, the rule about 1/3 of competition dates (4 games for football is the most commonly referenced) has nothing to due with clock extension. People often confuse that.

Last edited:
NJ Championships in AC brackets just came out:

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...jsiaa-state-wrestling-championships-brackets/

RU commits:
138 JoJo Aragona - seeded #1, first match vs Nick Franco , Don Bosco

152- Cody Harrison seeded #3, first match vs Janny Lopez-Valle, Randolph

160- Robert Kanniard- seeded #1, first match vs Thomas Stigliano, Hanover Park

160- Connor O'Neill, class of 2020, #6 seed, first match vs Harrison Hinojosa, Camden Catholic

182- John Poznanski, class of 2020, seeded #2, first match vs Evan Burton, Pinelands

Other names of note-

106- Jacob DelVecchio, seeded #25. Younger brother of former RU AA Scott DelVecchio. I think he is a freshman.

182- Brock Winston, Jackson Memorial, 14 seed. He's got to be a brother or cousin of former RU Wrestler Scott Winston, no ? I think he is a senior, but not sure..

220-Zach Del Vecchio, South Plainfield, seeded 1- younger brother of former RU AA Scott Del Vecchio. Haven't heard if he will definitely play football or wrestle in college. I haven't seen a football commitment for him, last year he said that was his preference.

220- Nik Colucci, St Peters Prep- seeded ?- younger brother of RU 285, Chris Colucci. Not sure if he is a junior or senior.

Last edited:
In order to qualify for a 6th year, you need to miss 2 years due to injury. The rule you are up against is the 5 year clock, not the 4 years to compete. The 5 year clock assumes 5 to compete 4. So merely redshirting, without injury, will not qualify you for a clock extension. They give you the 6th year if you miss 2 years due to circumstances outside of your control.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Ohio doesn't make it easy to find there information (i'm sure if I followed Ohio wrestling it would be easy), but for our Ohio verbal commit Dylan Shawver who is a Junior with a 40-4 record he won (what would be the equivalent to our district) with the following results at 126 pounds.

Qtr finals Pin 0:57
Semi finals Pin 3:39
Finals won 11-8
You are not kidding about Ohio being tough to figure out. I am cross-referencing a couple of web sites to make sure I understand it. I am still not 100%, but I think I got it.

It looks like Shawver is either #1 or #2 in Ohio at 126. He already has wins over the #3(Rini) and #4(Heil) kids in the last couple of weeks. It was Rini he beat in the Sectional final 11-8.

He will be in the Mentor Division 1 District (like NJ Regionals) where he will likely have to get past Rini again. Then on to states the following week.

Did you watch the match? Not a very dominating performance by score alone, but hard to judge without seeing it .

Wow, hard to please?
A win is a win in the state tournament... What if he played catch and release to try and get separation in the score?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT