ADVERTISEMENT

RU Wrestling Recruits State Tourney Results

Gable Stevenson is still going to be around at HWT and the two top ranked p4p happens to be HWT also and r committed.. wow it’s going to be a battle at HWT soon.. Fernandez would have been a great get as but he’s going to VT... the HWT bracket is going to be tough to Be AA at these next couple years..
Fernandez is going to Cornell

Fernandez is going to Cornell

Will be interesting to see how Fernandes does, he's on the smallish size for a 285, and if memory serves Voorhees HS, his HS, did not enter any of the big holiday tournaments like Beast of the East or Ironman, and this years 285 is pretty weak after Fernandes, so not sure how much he was even tested. Last year in the Regions, he only got by Hackettstown's big 285 Andes by a 3-1 score.

Reactions: FMT
Will be interesting to see how Fernandes does, he's on the smallish size for a 285, and if memory serves Voorhees HS, his HS, did not enter any of the big holiday tournaments like Beast of the East or Ironman, and this years 285 is pretty weak after Fernandes, so not sure how much he was even tested. Last year in the Regions, he only got by Hackettstown's big 285 Andes by a 3-1 score.

Agree the he was not challenged by any big tournaments.....However, Bound Brook HWT finished 2nd at the Beast of the East, Fernandes beat him 15-0 and pinned him in Regions. Sistrunk lost 1-0 in the Beast finals to the National Prep Champ(from Mount St. Joes Maryland). So feel pretty confident he would have dominated the Beast. Also he is only 17, so he still might put on a lot of weight. And working on the family farm, he has Farmer Strength...Lol. He was very high on my list of who RU should have went after. I get they were going after Schultz, but to me that was a little wishful thinking.

Agree the he was not challenged by any big tournaments.....However, Bound Brook HWT finished 2nd at the Beast of the East, Fernandes beat him 15-0 and pinned him in Regions. Sistrunk lost 1-0 in the Beast finals to the National Prep Champ(from Mount St. Joes Maryland). So feel pretty confident he would have dominated the Beast. Also he is only 17, so he still might put on a lot of weight. And working on the family farm, he has Farmer Strength...Lol. He was very high on my list of who RU should have went after. I get they were going after Schultz, but to me that was a little wishful thinking.

Yes I saw that. Sistrunk wasn't very impressive, IMO. He's pretty short too. I doubt he's a D1 wrestler, at least an upper echelon D1.
PS- I lived in Califon (Voorhees HS area) for a few years, although not recently, I remember Lee Getz a good 285 State Champ, who went on to become one of RU's best 285s in the 1980s I think. Plus Jaden Bernstein who recently just finished at Navy. was a champ for Voorhees about 6 years ago.
There are working farms, and 'gentleman' farms in that area, lol. Beautiful area, Centenary College has their Equestrian facility and stables in that area, and now Centenary, coached by John Garriques has a pretty good D3 program.
PS- I thought the Shultz recruitment was wishful thinking all along. Not sure if it would have made a difference recruiting Fernandes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Deboe w a very fast pin !

Bill, Dave B or anyone , is Deboe even on RU's radar?

Hmmm yes yes I think Fernandez originally committed to VT and now changed to Cornell. Thx for the correction.. nevertheless, I think Fernandez will eventually be contending for AA honors in a already stacked upcoming HWT division..

Fernandez also took 3rd at the Princeton open.

Yes I saw that. Sistrunk wasn't very impressive, IMO. He's pretty short too. I doubt he's a D1 wrestler, at least an upper echelon D1.
PS- I lived in Califon (Voorhees HS area) for a few years, although not recently, I remember Lee Getz a good 285 State Champ, who went on to become one of RU's best 285s in the 1980s I think. Plus Jaden Bernstein who recently just finished at Navy. was a champ for Voorhees about 6 years ago.
There are working farms, and 'gentleman' farms in that area, lol. Beautiful area, Centenary College has their Equestrian facility and stables in that area, and now Centenary, coached by John Garriques has a pretty good D3 program.
PS- I thought the Shultz recruitment was wishful thinking all along. Not sure if it would have made a difference recruiting Fernandes.

Sistrunk is a D2 or D3 wrestler at best.He is too short for a HWT, even if he dominated I would still go for the taller stronger HWT.

Reactions: belushijo
Fernandez also took 3rd at the Princeton open.

He took 3rd by Med Forfeit. He got pinned by the Stanford 285, an unranked freshman, won by Tie breaker against the Army 285. He also lost by dec in another Open Tourney to the Cornell backup 285 Brendan Furman, who is a freshman this year, in the same tournament he dec our Kyle Lightner only 3-0. Fernandes might have a battle just to be the Cornell starter. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a terrific talent, and would love to have had him at RU, but I don't think he's a Mason Parris or Trent Hilger, let alone a Gable Stevenson, all highly ranked freshman 285. All these guys are much bigger than Fernandes and almost as athletic.

Last edited:
He took 3rd by Med Forfeit. He got pinned by the Stanford 285, an unranked freshman, won by Tie breaker against the Army 285. He also lost by dec in another Open Tourney to the Cornell backup 285 Brendan Furman, who is a freshman this year, in the same tournament he dec our Kyle Lightner only 3-0. Fernandes might have a battle just to be the Cornell starter. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a terrific talent, and would love to have had him at RU, but I don't think he's a Mason Parris or Trent Hilger, let alone a Gable Stevenson, all highly ranked freshman 285. All these guys are much bigger than Fernandes and almost as athletic.
The true beauty of this sport is that most of your questions will be answered, beginning next year, or the year after if he defers admission. Interesting situation here. $$$$

I think that might be the case with a lot of their recruits. Merola and Angelo didn't break the lineup this year and they have a bunch of jersey kids coming in.

Point is they couldn't get in lineup at Cornell

Not correct. They weren’t admitted and needed a year at TCC to improve academically. Not uncommon at Cornell. Not illegal. Just a way for Koll to game the process. In the future, unlikely that Angelo will start. Merola could impress. Neither looked good at NOC.

Not correct. They weren’t admitted and needed a year at TCC to improve academically. Not uncommon at Cornell. Not illegal. Just a way for Koll to game the process. In the future, unlikely that Angelo will start. Merola could impress. Neither looked good at NOC.
I heard from his brother they were red shirting and wrestling for finger lakes n affiliate of Cornell bc they had too many upperclassmen in lineup. Said RU was merolas 2nd choice so maybe we get lucky.

Ugh, Dylan Shawver lost by decision 10-9 in the semis. He's only a Junior but that has to be a bit of a disappoinment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT