ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

All of the problems started when the Barnabas Performance Center was completed--with both the men's and women's programs.
The women's program was already eroding. As for the men, the Center opening was just a coincidence. You could easily blame it on NIL, global warming, or how bout this one? Covid!!!

Reactions: Knight Shift
I wonder how JWill feels watching Iowa St Vs Illinois tonight knowing he was forced to leave both due to a bogus gambling scandal….and is probably the piece to get either over the hump for the final 4
He doesn’t really care because he’s loyal to rutgers and will be a great leader on next years rutgers final four team

• Haha
Reactions: Kn0wledge
A lot of pressure on Pike next season. If Harper and Bailey struggle, and we don’t win, Pike needs to be fired.

Also idk where gav thinks he's going to go that will let him shoot the kind of shots he was allowed to take at Rutgers.. lol he had the super green light here..maybe that will actually help him, going some place where he isn't looked at as the next coming. Won't be given that type of greenlight unless he goes to a lesser program....

A lot of pressure on Pike next season. If Harper and Bailey struggle, and we don’t win, Pike needs to be fired.
You can’t say that! Nothing is Pikes fault he is the greatest coach of all time building a bullet proof program that oozes excellence

You can’t say that! Nothing is Pikes fault he is the greatest coach of all time building a bullet proof program that oozes excellence

K Pop Thumbs Up GIF by KINO

Good to know. Going to put that on a sticky note for my 2025 calendar.
He won’t be able to attract talent moving forward and will be known as very limited coach offensively. If GG has success in the future, it’ll make matters even worse.

He won’t be able to attract talent moving forward and will be known as very limited coach offensively. If GG has success in the future, it’ll make matters even worse.
Nope not Pikes fault!

Missing the tournament and having his team melt down from a 5 seed to out of tournament in 3 weeks. Mag was hurt

Having Paul (prodigal son) and Cam leave late with no replacement (Nil)

Poor Ft/3pt shooting talent of recruits we bring in ( I know he recruits them but not his fault)

Lack of player development Cliff Gavin etc - nope players aren’t working hard and aren’t good

We have no Nil it’s unfair for Pike at Rutgers - paid for #2 recruiting class in the country

Mag quit after being hyped as the answer this year. - nope player problem with Mag Pike has no responsibility

Inept offense since he’s been here - no lack of talent and shooters not on Pike

6 guys transferring - we wanted them gone or they are soft

Highest rated recruit walks out - he wanted more playing time and is soft

The lack of accountability seems mindless but when your 30 games below 500 in the conference your untouchable and deserve a statue according to the collective brain of the boards.

I would laugh.. at UConn.

They are a national title contender and bro was afraid of the playing time competition at Rutgers coming off a 15-17 season.
You know he’s afraid ? Or maybe he doesn’t want to waste another year watching selfish guard play in a playground game. Would you ?

You know he’s afraid ? Or maybe he doesn’t want to waste another year watching selfish guard play in a playground game. Would you ?
He doesn’t! Little guy good with calculators and spreadsheets but knows zero about basketball. Gavin was starting next year . Leaving because of the bad offensive scheme

I mean Cliff and Gavin are really the only two recruits he’s had that were all that highly ranked. So 1/2 i guess. Jones wasn’t rated that much higher than someone like RHJ (a rivals four star as well) and he was obviously a success as well.
Ron earned his stars after he committes

Yeah, not sure how we will replace the 32% from the field and 28% from 3 your boy delivered. May have to hit up a D2 school for that.
Martini who's on campus as we speak will have you forgetting GG in a hurry, but honestly most anyone in the portal can do better. He was no way starting next year which is why he left. Next year is what everyone has been waiting for, we need a proven player at every position and he's frankly a project that needs improvement in multiple facets. Sorry to see him go, but it's really on him

Reactions: LOU-RU85
Geo, Ron, Tez, and Caleb all showed that they could take over a game as freshman. Gavin was pretty much lost all year. How was a bad offensive scheme responsible for Gavin’s putrid free throw percentage??

Martini who's on campus as we speak will have you forgetting GG in a hurry. He was no way starting next year which is why he left. Next year is what everyone has been waiting for, we need a proven player at every position and he's frankly a project that needs improvement in multiple facets. Sorry to see him go, but it's really on him
Martini is not a legit Big10 starter. Not even close. GG will thrive on a better team,

Two thoughts:

1 - Griffiths - so much for the whole "I will never enter the portal" speech. That's a bad look. What's the deal? Afraid to compete for playing time? You think you deserve a guaranteed 25+ minutes next year, or starting role, or.... after this past season? Not a Loyal Son for sure. I don't wish him any ill will, but I'm certainly not going to wish him well moving forward, either. He bailed on us.

2 - Mag - looking back at it, he should've been kicked off the team as soon as he decided he was done playing for us. Have a conversation between staff and player. "Hey the trainers say you are cleared, you look healthy in practice recently, what's going on?" "I'm not feeling it, coach." "Alright, clear out your locker on your way out of the office."
Yup. Pike allowed Mag to hang around and further poison the team. He even had GG defending him not playing at the end. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Martini who's on campus as we speak will have you forgetting GG in a hurry, but honestly most anyone in the portal can do better. He was no way starting next year which is why he left. Next year is what everyone has been waiting for, we need a proven player at every position and he's frankly a project that needs improvement in multiple facets. Sorry to see him go, but it's really on him
He was starting next year! Pikes love for him was stamped when he started our last game this year in the Big ten tournament. I also know he was told he was starting. Not disagreeing we can find more ready to play talent in the portal. He left because of the offense not playing time .

Is why everyone is getting out of Dodge.
Not entirely sure why I want to dignify this by asking follow up questions, but is your thesis:

(a) Pikiell’s offensive coaching deteriorated this year, specifically

Or

(b) It’s always been so bad that no one would want to play for him but they’re just figuring it out now despite him being a D1 coach for 18 seasons prior to the most recent one

Serious question. Can Martini even put the ball on the floor? Every single clip I’ve seen, is him shooting. There was one 5 minute highlight film where I don’t think he dribbled once…no step-backs or pull-ups,…just standstill jump shots. God knows we can use shooters but is he another one-dimensional player? Looks like a bench player for sure in the B1G from what I’ve seen.
I honestly don't know. Also don't if they'll need him to with possibly a 3 guard line up. But GG was not great handling the ball, and his shooting will be way better, so a definite upgrade in my book

I wonder how JWill feels watching Iowa St Vs Illinois tonight knowing he was forced to leave both due to a bogus gambling scandal….and is probably the piece to get either over the hump for the final 4
What team will Gavin be the difference maker on next season that gets them over the hump to a final four?

Nope not Pikes fault!

Missing the tournament and having his team melt down from a 5 seed to out of tournament in 3 weeks. Mag was hurt

Having Paul (prodigal son) and Cam leave late with no replacement (Nil)

Poor Ft/3pt shooting talent of recruits we bring in ( I know he recruits them but not his fault)

Lack of player development Cliff Gavin etc - nope players aren’t working hard and aren’t good

We have no Nil it’s unfair for Pike at Rutgers - paid for #2 recruiting class in the country

Mag quit after being hyped as the answer this year. - nope player problem with Mag Pike has no responsibility

Inept offense since he’s been here - no lack of talent and shooters not on Pike

6 guys transferring - we wanted them gone or they are soft

Highest rated recruit walks out - he wanted more playing time and is soft

The lack of accountability seems mindless but when your 30 games below 500 in the conference your untouchable and deserve a statue according to the collective brain of the boards.
You know this is Rutgers not Kentucky....this team was winning like 4 games a year before pike got here. And all those things you posted are facts....the guys that want pike fired who do you have in mind as a replacement? And if you don't want him fired, are you just here to post about being frustrated? Just enjoy the roster construction process. Seems like they are learning from the mistakes of the past and getting definitive answers on staying or going before the tournament is even over..I like it..

You joined this forum on March 19th and immediately started asking when Gavin will get in the portal before there was any speculation of this happening. You are connected in some way to Gavin. You’re not fooling anyone. Not sure why you’re even still posting on this board now that Gavin’s in the portal. Very lame

Martini is not a legit Big10 starter. Not even close. GG will thrive on a better team,
GG is the one who's not close to being a Big Ten starter. And if he'll thrive on a better team why didn't he stay, Rutgers will be a lot better next year? And don't give me the BS of the wrong O, he had plenty of clean looks, and how do you justify 60% FT from a supposed starter/shooter, that will lose you a host of games right there

Reactions: needmorecowbell
Not that crazy of a thought. What is next year his 9th season? One tournament win? If they don't make the tournament next year and then have to fill 7-8 roster spots again the following year could be a while before they win again.

Not entirely sure why I want to dignify this by asking follow up questions, but is your thesis:

(a) Pikiell’s offensive coaching deteriorated this year, specifically

Or

(b) It’s always been so bad that no one would want to play for him but they’re just figuring it out now despite him being a D1 coach for 18 seasons prior to the most recent one
c) the current undisciplined, unstructured style of play Pike employs due inabilities of the guards he brought in. They were unwilling or unable to share the ball and execute any semblance of viable 5 man offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT