ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

Yes i think so. I believe selfish guard play undermined his production and he expected the same next year.

And I think his leaving is a major red flag for portal talent.
Okay but even if that was all true, either Richie is lying when saying this isn’t about NIL and it’s a concern about PT (which I doubt) or he’s leaving because he’s concerned about his role here. Going to a UConn type does not address that at all. He’s not a starter at UConn. Point blank.

He’s not a back up and didn’t play like one against exclusively high major talent. He put up over 12 ppg. Just stop. He’s a starter.
He’s not a starter ! He was a guy taking shots on a bad offensive team. Teams adjusted to his game. With Dylan playing point you can’t have Jwill at the 2 because he cannot shoot! Jwill will come off the bench. You get a shooting 2 to space the floor and 4 who can space and shoot in the portal. Jwill allows you to double Dylan and Ace because of his inability to shoot. Jwill is a bench player on a good team

He’s not a back up and didn’t play like one against exclusively high major talent. He put up over 12 ppg. Just stop. He’s a starter.
According to this guy JWill, who averaged 12.2 PPG, 3.4 RPG and 2.8 APG is a backup, but Gavin who averaged 5.8 PPG 2.2 RPG and .6 APG was a lock to start next year.

Reactions: ancienthooper
According to this guy JWill, who averaged 12.2 PPG, 3.4 RPG and 2.8 APG is a backup, but Gavin who averaged 5.8 PPG 2.2 RPG and .6 APG was a lock to start next year.
Different players with different skill sets. Jwill only problem is his skill set is being filled by Dylan so that pushes him back. If you don’t understand that then I am sorry. Two point guards one starter and his name is not Jwill

Different players with different skill sets. Jwill only problem is his skill set is being filled by Dylan so that pushes him back. If you don’t understand that then I am sorry. Two point guards one starter and his name is not Jwill
And what skill set does Gavin fill? Because I can find a ton of guys who can shoot 32% from the floor, 60% from the line and below 30% from three.

Reactions: ancienthooper
And what skill set does Gavin fill? Because I can find a ton of guys who can shoot 32% from the floor, 60% from the line and below 30% from three.
I’ll make it easy for you!
Dylan pg nba lottery pick #1 pg on the country
2 - shooter from portal (hopefully can like skill set
3. - Ace
4 - definitely not jwill transfer
5. - Lathan ogbole and transfer

Where is jwill will starting because he can’t shoot and is definitely not playing the 4 or 5.

I

I’ll make it easy for you!
Dylan pg nba lottery pick #1 pg on the country
2 - shooter from portal (hopefully can like skill set
3. - Ace
4 - definitely not jwill transfer
5. - Lathan ogbole and transfer

Where is jwill will starting because he can’t shoot and is definitely not playing the 4 or 5.

I
Except Dylan isn’t even playing PG now in high school so…

Okay but even if that was all true, either Richie is lying when saying this isn’t about NIL and it’s a concern about PT (which I doubt) or he’s leaving because he’s concerned about his role here. Going to a UConn type does not address that at all. He’s not a starter at UConn. Point blank.
At first glance I agree he wouldn’t go to UConn. But then again, three years of eligibility maybe he goes there realizing he’ll be a bench player next year only, betting on himself to have a breakout junior year.

But, even if not UConn I think he ends up at a higher profile program and does very well with better guard play.

Gavin was obviously overhyped out of high school, fine, he had a very disappointing freshman season. This was a surprise for everyone including Gavin and his family. He has a much higher mountain to climb than he thought. He needs regular playing time to hopefully get better and that was not guaranteed to happen at Rutgers based on his first year so he changed his mind about never entering the transfer portal. Some team will give him that guaranteed starting spot so he is doing what is best for him, not Rutgers. Good luck Gavin, you seem like a nice kid.

At first glance I agree he wouldn’t go to UConn. But then again, three years of eligibility maybe he goes there realizing he’ll be a bench player next year only, betting on himself to have a breakout junior year.

But, even if not UConn I think he ends up at a higher profile program and does very well with better guard play.
But again, unless Richie is lying, his departure is about playing time. If that were the case there’d be no reason to leave. He’s not a starter at any of the UConn type programs right now.

Gavin was obviously overhyped out of high school, fine, he had a very disappointing freshman season. This was a surprise for everyone including Gavin and his family. He has a much higher mountain to climb than he thought. He needs regular playing time to hopefully get better and that was not guaranteed to happen at Rutgers based on his first year so he changed his mind about never entering the transfer portal. Some team will give him that guaranteed starting spot so he is doing what is best for him, not Rutgers. Good luck Gavin, you seem like a nice kid.
This sounds like an accurate description of what’s likely going on.

Reactions: 93RUDoc
😂 😂 😆 so the number one PG in the country is coming here not to play point guard?
I mean I get it he is effective on and off the ball and in high school dominated in multiple roles 1-3 but he will have the ball in his hands . He also is not a good shooter so you definitely don’t play Jwill and Dylan long minutes together.

😂 😂 😆 so the number one PG in the country is coming here not to play point guard?

That’s correct. He may be listed as a PG but he is did not play the point for his high school team. Isiah Brown, soon to be teammate of Chol is a pure point and played that position on Dylan’s team. Dylan is a go to scorer. That’s his role and will be his role at Rutgers too first and foremost. He’s a good enough ball handler to run the point if he had to, I’m sure, but he’s not being brought here to be an elite passer nor is that what his scouting report focuses on. His job is to score. Sometimes he may bring the ball up and create for himself.

Reactions: RAS61
I mean I get it he is effective on and off the ball and in high school dominated in multiple roles 1-3 but he will have the ball in his hands . He also is not a good shooter so you definitely don’t play Jwill and Dylan long minutes together.
They will play together most of the game. That’s why it’s so important to land a proven sharp shooter. Gavin was likely told that this is a priority now because Pike learned. The last thing he wants is a last minute surprise.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
That’s correct. He may be listed as a PG but he is did not play the point for his high school team. Isiah Brown, soon to be teammate of Chol is a pure point and played that position on Dylan’s team. Dylan is a go to scorer. That’s his role and will be his role at Rutgers too first and foremost. He’s a good enough ball handler to run the point if he had to, I’m sure, but he’s not being brought here to be an elite passer nor is that what his scouting report focuses on. His job is to score. Sometimes he may bring the ball up and create for himself.

Not entirely true. He will run the offense. He’s a playmaker first. His vision, creativity and basketball IQ are his biggest strengths.

lol he played the combo role because in HS he’s talented enough to dominate in multiple roles. Playing the 2 allowed his HS to play brown in his best role and give them the most effective lineup. He’s being pursued by the NBA because of his ability to run an offense and be a coach on the floor. He’s being brought to Rutgers to play that role. If you play jwill and Dylan together the season is over before it starts. You don’t start a power 5 back court who can’t shoot! Dylan will run point and we will get a starting shooting guard from the portal!

PSAL it’s not that simple. pt is based on performance and if guard-dominant isolation offense hampers performance then the result is less pt.

At the end of the day, GG didn’t want to endure another year of being a square peg in a round hole. Our guards didn’t run offense, they looked mostly for their own shots. In their minds, JWill, JaMichael Chucker and DSelfish were competing for the 2 position next year and only cared outscoring the other two. They did not care about sharing the ball. They were not willing passers, by and large.

Not entirely true. He will run the offense. He’s a playmaker first. His vision, creativity and basketball IQ are his biggest strengths.

From the film I see it’s mostly transition playmaking in terms of his assists. Not as much halfcourt ball distribution. In the halfcourt sets, the offense is at its best when someone is finding him in a position to make a play. He’s explosive.

I do agree we won’t be slowing it down deliberately to have J Will bring up the ball.

it’s not that simple. pt is based performance and if guard-dominant isolation offense hampers performance then the result is less pt.

At the end of the day, GG didn’t want to endure another year of being a square peg in a round hole. Our guards didn’t run offense, they looked mostly for their own shots. In their minds, JWill, JaMichael Chucker and DSelfish were competing for the 2 position next year and only cared outscoring the other two. They did not care about sharing the ball. They were not willing passers, by and large.

That’s a load of crap. He got plenty of looks. He wasn’t good early last season and eventually Pike had to sit him because it was that bad. I wish him the best of luck elsewhere but your creating a fictitious narrative to explain him having one of the worst shooting percentages in D1 even when playing low majors.

That’s not stopped Pike before. JW, JD and DS are all poor shooters and played together

Reactions: Unionst
They will play together most of the game. That’s why it’s so important to land a proven sharp shooter. Gavin was likely told that this is a priority now because Pike learned. The last thing he wants is a last minute surprise.

Martini could be a great fit.

lol he played the combo role because in HS he’s talented enough to dominate in multiple roles. Playing the 2 allowed his HS to play brown in his best role and give them the most effective lineup. He’s being pursued by the NBA because of his ability to run an offense and be a coach on the floor. He’s being brought to Rutgers to play that role. If you play jwill and Dylan together the season is over before it starts. You don’t start a power 5 back court who can’t shoot! Dylan will run point and we will get a starting shooting guard from the portal!
Pike has been playing a 3 guard lineup for years now.

2023-2024: JWill, Derek, JMike/Noah, Mag/Hyatt, Cliff
2022-2023: Paul, Cam, Caleb, Mag, Cliff
2021-2022: Geo, Paul, Caleb, Harper, Cliff
2020-2021: Geo, JY, Paul/Tez, Harper, Johnson

That’s a load of crap. He got plenty of looks. He wasn’t good early last season and eventually Pike had to sit him because it was that bad. I wish him the best of luck elsewhere but you’re creating a fictitious narrative to explain him having one of the worst shooting percentages in D1 even when playing low majors.
it’s not crap if he goes to a higher level program. it would show the belief that his play was primarily affected by the teammates and coach more than by his own inherent shortcomings.

My only question regarding a 3 guard lineup is how does expected transfer Martinelli fit in?
It seems he’s being brought in to start. But where?

JWill, Dylan, Transfer G, Ace and Martinelli to close games?
Or is a Center playing instead?

Also, is that a heavy defensive burden for Ace when he’s likely to be heavily involved on the offensive end as well.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
You can’t say that! Nothing is Pikes fault he is the greatest coach of all time building a bullet proof program that oozes excellence
Little over the top, no? I do realize the sarcasm. Not that his track record is lights out, but what coaches have been better the past 20, 30, 40 years before him? Also keep in mind Pike is in the B1G vs anyone else.

Last edited:
That’s a load of crap. He got plenty of looks. He wasn’t good early last season and eventually Pike had to sit him because it was that bad. I wish him the best of luck elsewhere but your creating a fictitious narrative to explain him having one of the worst shooting percentages in D1 even when playing low majors.
Exactly, and why would you feed a guy shooting that poorly? Pike bent over backwards giving him minutes that he didn't deserve and the green light to shoot. Did the guards fail to feed him the ball at the FT line too?

it’s not crap if he goes to a higher level program. it would show the belief that his play was primarily affected by the teammates and coach more than by his own inherent shortcomings.

Ok sure. If you say so. The only way he’s going to a UConn type is if he agrees to do so for very little NIL to fill out the end of the roster.

Think about what your saying. Your suggesting that a big time blue blood program is going to shell out top dollar to invest in the assumption that Gavin would’ve lived up to his recruiting ranking somewhere else. There are so many players to choose from. Who the heck is going to assume that our kid would’ve been a double digit scoring machine somewhere else. I say it that way because that’s the kind of kid these schools typically pay for - proven ones. they don’t shell out big dollars taking a gamble on a disappointing frosh turning things around in year 2.

The genesis at ru was actually the back third of 2019-2020 JY Geo Mathis Yeboah Johnson.

I didn’t say anything about NIL. Lower programs don’t have any to give and better programs won’t give him much.

But they will get more production from him. He’ll do very well on a team with functioning offense.

If you’re a top TE prospect would you go to Iowa or RU ? GG picked the wrong school.

c) the current undisciplined, unstructured style of play Pike employs due inabilities of the guards he brought in. They were unwilling or unable to share the ball and execute any semblance of viable 5 man offense.
Exactly.

We have no way to know exactly how much of GG's disappointing season was on the Pike's offense and how much was on him.

But who could blame GG and his father for wanting a second coaching opinion? Some of you will be shocked if GG lands at a major school, starts, and averages 12 ppg. I won't be.

I didn’t say anything about NIL. Lower programs don’t have any to give and better programs won’t give him much.

But they will get more production from him. He’ll do very well on a team with functioning offense.

If you’re a top TE prospect would you go to Iowa or RU ? GG picked the wrong school.

Ok - for now I’m going to believe Richie and not you since he has inside knowledge and your just throwing out your own uninformed take. The kid met with Pike to discuss where he would fit in next year with all the musical chairs. His concern is valid. There are places where he can go next year and have a better chance of playing starter minutes next season. I can see him going to a Butler type high major and not for NIL - for more likely PT and usage. The offense wouldn’t run through him next season. He had an opportunity for that this year but it didn’t work out. Don’t blame our guards for how he played early on. That’s ridiculous. He simply missed shots. A lot of them. Later on as he missed more and more, yeah, guys stopped looking for him.

Exactly.

We have no way to know exactly how much of GG's disappointing season was on the Pike's offense and how much was on him.

But who could blame GG and his father for wanting a second coaching opinion? Some of you will be shocked if GG lands at a major school, starts, and averages 12 ppg. I won't be.
I won’t be shocked at all. I wouldn’t have been shocked if he stepped up here either.

But that doesn’t mean I was counting on production from him the way I did Geo or Ron when they returned from a year where they had already produced. How do folks not see the difference? It’s preposterous. In the case of a proven player, you don’t recruit over them. Pike has no choice here and that’s why Gavin is moving on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT