ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

Ok sure. If you say so. The only way he’s going to a UConn type is if he agrees to do so for very little NIL to fill out the end of the roster.

Think about what your saying. Your suggesting that a big time blue blood program is going to shell out top dollar to invest in the assumption that Gavin would’ve lived up to his recruiting ranking somewhere else. There are so many players to choose from. Who the heck is going to assume that our kid would’ve been a double digit scoring machine somewhere else. I say it that way because that’s the kind of kid these schools typically pay for - proven ones. they don’t shell out big dollars taking a gamble on a disappointing frosh turning things around in year 2.
I see him going somewhere he will have a defined role and be given the chance to start. He was obviously concerned he wouldn’t get enough run here. According to 72 he has a nil agent. I doubt money was not a consideration. Maybe for gg but def not his handlers. A professional rarely says openly “i am looking for a new role for more money”

I see him going somewhere he will have a defined role and be given the chance to start. He was obviously concerned he wouldn’t get enough run here. According to 72 he has a nil agent. I doubt money was not a consideration. Maybe for gg but def not his handlers. A professional rarely says openly “i am looking for a new role for more money”
I’m sure a path to money at some point is on his mind. Yes. What I meant was I don’t see him having the resume to be heavily coveted by anyone right now. Who would shell out big dollars for a kid coming off the season he had with so many other options?

I’m not buying the Shelby / Caliknight takes that teams are going to assume it was Rutgers fault he was bad last year and recruit him as if he developed into what he was supposed to be based on his height and AAU accomplishments. AAU ball is now far removed from where he’s at and his collegiate D stood out like a sore thumb. Forget Pike standards - any standards. He got better later in the season, but he’s still a below average defender who shot the ball poorly last season. That’s not a very good starting point for advertising yourself to collect a huge check. As I said, we’ll see.

I’m sure a path to money at some point is on his mind. Yes. What I meant was I don’t see him having the resume to be heavily coveted by anyone right now. Who would shell out big dollars for a kid coming off the season he had with so many other options?

I’m not buying the Shelby / Caliknight takes that teams are going to assume it was Rutgers fault he was bad last year and recruit him as if he developed into what he was supposed to be based on his height and AAU accomplishments. AAU ball is now far removed from where he’s at and his collegiate D stood out like a sore thumb. Forget Pike standards - any standards. He got better later in the season, but he’s still a below average defender who shot the ball poorly last season. That’s not a very good starting point for advertising yourself to collect a huge check. As I said, we’ll see.
The narrative that he didn’t develop is false imo. He actually was coming on after they were forced to cut his pt. If there was a mistake imo it was throwing him out there early with so much pt. He was literally unplayable in big games and they still gave him opportunities. Regardless he showed gradual improvement the 2nd half of the season and was really coming on at the end. I think he’s gonna be good but you can’t really teach maturity in a couple of months.

The narrative that he didn’t develop is false imo. He actually was coming on after they were forced to cut his pt. If there was a mistake imo it was throwing him out there early with so much pt. He was literally unplayable in big games and they still gave him opportunities. Regardless he showed gradual improvement the 2nd half of the season and was really coming on at the end. I think he’s gonna be good but you can’t really teach maturity in a couple of months.
Yea - he did improve. But not enough to rely on him being good enough to be a starter on the team we’re supposed to have next year with two 5 stars. Not even close. A large chunk of the good things he did came in garbage time when the team had packed it in. We lost those games by big margins mostly.

I guess we shall see where he lands but I could see him at a P5 easily based on potential. He played a lot of minutes last year as a frosh and that is good experience whether he capitalized on it or not and you can see glimpses of where he has a very good shot that just wasn't falling. A coach will be willing to take him to help him develop based on that potential alone.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Serious question. Can Martini even put the ball on the floor? Every single clip I’ve seen, is him shooting. There was one 5 minute highlight film where I don’t think he dribbled once…no step-backs or pull-ups,…just standstill jump shots. God knows we can use shooters but is he another one-dimensional player? Looks like a bench player for sure in the B1G from what I’ve seen.
Apparently he can, can also run the floor and rebounds and blocks out well, would be a definite upgrade across the board

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I guess we shall see where he lands but I could see him at a P5 easily based on potential. He played a lot of minutes last year as a frosh and that is good experience whether he capitalized on it or not and you can see glimpses of where he has a very good shot that just wasn't falling. A coach will be willing to take him to help him develop based on that potential alone.
FWIW, yesterday Richie said Creighton and Providence are currently rumored to be the leading landing spots for GG, far from a blue blood or major upgrade over Rutgers (especially next year) IMO

Ok - for now I’m going to believe Richie and not you since he has inside knowledge and your just throwing out your own uninformed take. The kid met with Pike to discuss where he would fit in next year with all the musical chairs. His concern is valid. There are places where he can go next year and have a better chance of playing starter minutes next season. I can see him going to a Butler type high major and not for NIL - for more likely PT and usage. The offense wouldn’t run through him next season. He had an opportunity for that this year but it didn’t work out. Don’t blame our guards for how he played early on. That’s ridiculous. He simply missed shots. A lot of them. Later on as he missed more and more, yeah, guys stopped looking for him.
They stopped looking for him so they could continue missing their own shots even more.

The team was below 300 in offensive efficiency, not due to him but because of awful guard play and lack of purposeful ball movement

• Love
Reactions: Roy_Faulker
FWIW, yesterday Richie said Creighton and Providence are currently rumored to be the leading landing spots for GG, far from a blue blood or major upgrade over Rutgers (especially next year) IMO

Creighton is not a major upgrade? In what universe is that remotely true? Weren’t they top 10 most of the year, a 3 seed in the tourney, currently in the sweet 16. In what universe is that not a major upgrade? The takes on this board sometimes….

What universe do you live in that you dont think these teams are upgrades over Rutgers right now?

They have won and been consistent...even sniffed the top 25 and made runs in the NCAAs.

They are both currently much better teams than RU
Not next year, and the NCAA certainly thought the Big Ten was the better conference with 6 dance bids to 3 this one. But it will be very interesting to see how his playing time and success goes at his next stop

Reactions: RUDiddy777
They are both currently much better teams than RU

Huh? This comment completely misses the point. Creighton’s entire roster is turning over next year except for 2 kids who averaged more than 9 mpg. The difference is they don’t have the number 2 and 3 recruits in the pipeline so they aren’t likely to be doubling down in the portal due to a once in a lifetime incoming recruiting class the way we have to. There’d be a much clearer path to PT there for him for sure.

Providence, as of now, appears to be returning a whole bunch of guys who didn’t do much more than Gavin so again - much more realistic path to earning a starter position there too. I certainly wouldn’t say Providence is an upgrade as a program. That seems like a big reach.

Neither of these schools are giving Gavin a thick NIL check to go there.

They stopped looking for him so they could continue missing their own shots even more.

The team was below 300 in offensive efficiency, not due to him but because of awful guard play and lack of purposeful ball movement

They stopped looking for him because he
wasn’t executing. The trouble was they couldn’t execute either which was why we weren’t good. But stop making it like it’s a slam dunk he would’ve had this great season with better guards. It wasn’t our guards fault that he wasn’t good against many of the LIU types. Not at all.

Reactions: Scarlet83

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

Huh? This comment completely misses the point. Creighton’s entire roster is turning over next year except for 2 kids who averaged more than 9 mpg. The difference is they don’t have the number 2 and 3 recruits in the pipeline so they aren’t likely to be doubling down in the portal due to a once in a lifetime incoming recruiting class the way we have to. There’d be a much clearer path to PT there for him for sure.

Providence, as of now, appears to be returning a whole bunch of guys who didn’t do much more than Gavin so again - much more realistic path to earning a starter position there too. I certainly wouldn’t say Providence is an upgrade as a program. That seems like a big reach.

Neither of these schools are giving Gavin a thick NIL check to go there.

Which makes it a good fit for him - he’s looking for PT and he was headed for 10 mins a game next season and less in big ones. NIL is a nice, but he doesn’t want to sit behind the #2 player in the country next season.

Little over the top, no? I do realize the sarcasm. Not that his track record is lights out, but what coaches have been better the past 20, 30, 40 years before him? Also keep in mind Pike is in the B1G vs anyone else.
Completely fair but if you want the program to the next level you hold Pike to his own expectations of RU is a tournament team every year. He said this not me. When a coach reaches his level you thank him for raising the level of the program and you find a coach who can then take the program to new heights. You don’t wait until they run it back into the ground and then hire the next coach and give them ten years with the same set of excuses. We are not the team or program of 20,30,40 years ago: Thank you Pike! If you can not get us to the next level we move on to the next coach who can. That is why other programs have continued sucesss.

Reactions: whofrewdatmataRU13
He’s not a back up and didn’t play like one against exclusively high major talent. He put up over 12 ppg. Just stop. He’s a starter.
Honestly they both will start and handle the ball but Dylan will be the priority. If he sees himself as a PG , he will play there. If he wants to be more of a scoring option, he’ll play there. He’s going to be the best offensive guard we have the first day he steps on campus.

Completely fair but if you want the program to the next level you hold Pike to his own expectations of RU is a tournament team every year. He said this not me. When a coach reaches his level you thank him for raising the level of the program and you find a coach who can then take the program to new heights. You don’t wait until they run it back into the ground and then hire the next coach and give them ten years with the same set of excuses. We are not the team or program of 20,30,40 years ago: Thank you Pike! If you can not get us to the next level we move on to the next coach who can. That is why other programs have continued sucesss.
yes but we'll see how he fares the year after next. that's when it's put up or shut up time.

you don't last as long as Boeheim, the General, etc. by delivering 15 win seasons.

Exactly.

We have no way to know exactly how much of GG's disappointing season was on the Pike's offense and how much was on him.

But who could blame GG and his father for wanting a second coaching opinion? Some of you will be shocked if GG lands at a major school, starts, and averages 12 ppg. I won't be.
I won’t be shocked, fully expect this will happen for Gavin one day, not sure if he does it as a Sophomore, maybe he does, but at some point as a Junior or Senior I agree with you. The issue is simple, he didn’t like the role he saw for himself, he talked to Pike, and he decided what’s best for him. That’s what Gavin should do. Likewise, Pike and Rutgers need to do what’s right for them. Everyone has made a point of saying you need experienced players to go with Freshman talent. Pike is trying to do that right now. Everyone saw how bad the shooting was last season. Pike is trying to upgrade that right now. Next season is a huge season for Rutgers and Pike is trying to finalize a roster that allows for success. I am sure Pike wanted Gavin here next year, but considering Pike is trying to bring in new portal players with experience and shooting, would he be able to start Gavin next season? Pike needs shooters now…….not in Gavin’s Junior year. Dylan, Ace, and JWill already had spots, a new center, then likely a portal player is getting 5th spot. Gavin was coming off the bench for sure next season, how far down that bench he would have been I don’t know. The reality is Gavin’s vision and needs for don’t align with Pike’s and Rutgers needs, I don’t blame Gavin for doing what he thinks is right for him. But I also don’t blame Pike for doing what he thinks is right for him. Was he supposed to say “I don’t want the experience and shooting of Zach Martini because I already have Gavin Griffiths, no thanks, I’m good to go”…..coaches want to acquire as many good players as possible, if those acquisitions don’t aline with one of your existing players then that’s gonna happen when you’re a coach. Nobody is at fault here, just a reality especially in the wild Wild West of the age of the portal and NIL.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
our fans are clueless

these are all very good landing spots for him where he can receive decent playing time and develop
Are you laying blame on Pikes for the transfer?
If so, what could Pikes have done differently?
IMO (not watching season as closely as most fans), GG had a good amount of playing time as a freshman, but did not make the most of his time. Maybe not fair bc the offense was a mess most games. He needs to hit the weight room and protein macros hard and bulk up.

Creighton seems like a perfect fit for him. He might not play majority minutes right away but I would expect him to do really well if he stays there a couple of years…and yes, it’s a pretty major upgrade.

It’s not an upgrade at all. It’s more of a lateral move at best. He’s leaving for playing time because he’s not going to be a starter next season since most of the minutes at the 3 are going to Ace.

Reactions: lakejj
Not next year, and the NCAA certainly thought the Big Ten was the better conference with 6 dance bids to 3 this one. But it will be very interesting to see how his playing time and success goes at his next stop

That remains to be seen

If pike gets really good transfers to support these freshman then yes we might, MIGHT, have a season that approaches creighton (around top 10, 3 seed, sweet 16).

Or he could strike out get mediocre players and we will be lucky if we are bubble team.

Remains to be seen.

At this point we have no idea how next year will shake out - we have no idea what the team is at this point.

Reactions: runner3283
why can other teams get or keep players that can play meaningful minutes off bench and for RU it is if you are not a starter you won't get minutes and need to transfer?

GG will land a good spot--I thought he would show considerable improvement next season with 1 year under his belt and a better team around him, with goal of being a leader the following season.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
It’s not an upgrade at all. It’s more of a lateral move at best. He’s leaving for playing time because he’s not going to be a starter next season since most of the minutes at the 3 are going to Ace.
have you checked history, RUs does not come close to Creightons over the past 14 years since McDermott was hired....10 ncaas in 14 years with 2 sweet 16 and elite 8 in last 4 and that one sweet 16 could be another elite 8 or greater

plus they are mainstay in the rankings during the regular season compared to RUs scant appearances. RU in their best years scraped to get into the tourney as a perennial bubble school and missed the past 2 years.

have you checked history, RUs does not come close to Creightons over the past 14 years since McDermott was hired....10 ncaas in 14 years with 2 sweet 16 and elite 8 in last 4 and that one sweet 16 could be another elite 8 or greater

plus they are mainstay in the rankings during the regular season compared to RUs scant appearances. RU in their best years scraped to get into the tourney as a perennial bubble school and missed the past 2 years.

That succes is not relevant to this comparison. Rutgers will likely be ranked higher than Creighton next year. He’s likely looking there because every starter position but one is about to open up. They otherwise have one 20ish mpg guy returning who averaged 5-6ish ppg like Gavin. After that - not one returning kid who logged more that 9 mpg. If he’s looking for PT - this seems like a good choice for him to at least be in the running to start. Why? Because as I said - there’s only one starter locked in. They have 3 frosh recruits coming in and 2 of them are 4 star guards. That’s exactly what I’d be seeking if I was Gavin. A team locked into 4 star frosh guards like he was last year. They are highly rated enough that Creighton will be careful not to double down over them in the portal. Maybe they beat out Gavin - but at least he’ll have a pretty good chance. Assume they bring in a center - Creighton still has 3 open starter spots. Perhaps they get 1 or even 2 stand out stud recruits but 3 is very very unlikely. Their roster will add utility guys and Gavin wouldn’t be 7th or 8th on it with marked improvement. That’s the thing - even if Gavin improves he probably only gets the same 17-18 or so minutes at RU if we succeed in bringing in the portal guys Pike has in mind.

Since 2015;

Creighton 184-77 .705 6 NCAAs, 8 tournament wins and still playing this season.

Rutgers 132-123. .517 2 NCAAs, 1 tournament win.

…and McDermott is a much better coach, IMO

How is that not an upgrade?

Reactions: runner3283
Last season, we were 285th in three point attempts per game and 325th in three pointers per game. Our offense isn’t designed for three point looks. GG’s game is shooting on the perimeter. So, it makes sense that he would transfer.

BTW, a school like Creighton attempts over 50% more three pointers per game than RU.

Last edited:
Since 2015;

They are not a traditional powerhouse that reloads every year. And next year will project to be a rebuild year for them. He’s not leaving to go there to take a step up. He’s looking for more PT on a roster that looks like it will have a ton of vacancies.

They are not a traditional powerhouse that reloads every year. And next year will project to be a rebuild year for them. He’s not leaving to go there to take a step up. He’s looking for more PT on a roster that looks like it will have a ton of vacancies.
They might not be a “traditional powerhouse” that reloads every year but their program is certainly ahead of ours..regardless, it’s kind of amazing that a kid who was nearly a 5 star (we all know he was not), who’s strength was mostly offense came here instead of a place like Creighton or Iowa to begin with. Didn’t seem like a recipe for success.

Since 2015;

I’m aware of the history. But they are losing 9 guys next year and we are bringing in the 3rd ranked recruiting class. It’s not an upgrade if you’re leaving for a school that can provide you with playing time when you’d be on the bench here.

Since 2015;

You can’t argue that. Creighton is a better program and McDermott is a great offensive coach. If the reports are correct, he’s leaving because he didn’t want competition for his spot. That’s the issue I have. Maybe it’s a bit of both. He saw an easier path to playing and has a chance at finding a better team that fits his skills. Either way, he’s not a big loss. He’s still a project and doesn’t want to compete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT