ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers biggest win over Temple

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
the legendary "Back to the RAC" game that set up the A10 final vs Penn State which saw an environment that will never be eclipsed at the RAC

March 6 1989

By the way why do students back in the 80s and 90s look like they are in their mid 20s while students today look like they are in their mid teens

queued up....the back to the rac chant starts about 1:46.20

the legendary "Back to the RAC" game that set up the A10 final vs Penn State which saw an environment that will never be eclipsed at the RAC

March 6 1989

By the way why do students back in the 80s and 90s look like they are in their mid 20s which students today look like they are in their mid teens

Was that you with the rainbow wig?

March 6 1989

By the way why do students back in the 80s and 90s look like they are in their mid 20s while students today look like they are in their mid teens

You know the answer bac. Kids are wusses these days raised on soy milk.

Reactions: bac2therac
I knew Chaney was wild in the post game presser. I didn’t know his players had to block the cameras from witnessing his antics

Still have my unused ticket. My crappy old rear wheel drive car couldn't handle the snow. Had to watch on TV after attending the quarterfinals the day before.

March 6 1989

The dress codes we lived with in high school. We even wore dress clothes with ties to sports games.

BTW: I was at temple and PSU games. Palestra A-10 games were so much fun

Present and accounted for. Good times and a magical night taking the student bus to the Palestra in that snow storm. Only reason I remember that storm was after getting back to the Barn parking lot, I scraped the snow off my windshield only to find a RU parking ticket under all the snow.

Chaney was a real piece of work that night, but not quite as bad as when he threatened to kill Calipari in a postgame press conference years later.

I knew Chaney was wild in the post game presser. I didn’t know his players had to block the cameras from witnessing his antics
I was in the press room for that post game presser. Chaney was not thrilled with losing. And really unhappy the refs called a lane violation on Mark Macon. I thought Chaney might kill someone if any media asked a question - which we didn't. Lol

March 6 1989

Bac…I told you the origin of your name …came from me, Emory ward and a couple of other frosh …we got that gojng during the second half massacre by Penn state over west va

John Chaney had a lot of balls complaining about the officals

I was under the basket where Tom savage swatted Mike vreesyuk layup away with less than a minute to go That was NOT goal tending …we probably win that game in regulation if it wasn’t for the BS Call

Oh, the ride home in 4-5 inches on the student buses was epically bad. But so worth it ….

Bac…I told you the origin of your name …came from me, Emory ward and a couple of other frosh …we got that gojng during the second half massacre by Penn state over west va

this story never get old, even if I do. Did see a sign too in the crowd.

wish I was at that game...but in fact I only went to two games that year. The A10 final and the rousing win over Temple earlier in February at the RAC. That game started my journey as a fan. Had always followed RU in high school but they were so bad during those years, that Temple game really gave the program juice that propelled them the rest of the season and into the A10 tourney

Unbelievably Temple dominated Rutgers in a stretch from 1983-1995 winning 26 of 30 games. RU won 2x in 89. The other win in 91 was one of my favorite games at the RAC. It was moved from Saturday to Friday night as RU scheduled a rare during the season addition of UNLV to the schedule. RU would play on Friday night and then fly out to Vegas where they were beat down 115-73 but that game vs Temple the Knights were hitting on all cylinders getting out to a huge earlier lead like 18-3 and coasted to a 82-63, the whole place was jacked as RU was playing so well and the anticipation for the UNLV game. I believe the other win over Temple was in the 93 or 94 season, RU was struggling a bit but always a tough out at home and I think the rally over Temple on a Sunday afternoon was the biggest win of the season.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
The weather was really crappy, but my brother-in-law said he would drive so we went (brought my boss who was a Temple grad - he didn't say much on the way home). Then we went to the A-10 finals - I think that was my most exciting game at the RAC.

Emory Ward…undersized and unsung hero. Wish we would go back to those classic uniforms.

Unbelievably Temple dominated Rutgers in a stretch from 1983-1995 winning 26 of 30 games. RU won 2x in 89. The other win in 91 was one of my favorite games at the RAC. It was moved from Saturday to Friday night as RU scheduled a rare during the season addition of UNLV to the schedule. RU would play on Friday night and then fly out to Vegas where they were beat down 115-73 but that game vs Temple the Knights were hitting on all cylinders getting out to a huge earlier lead like 18-3 and coasted to a 82-63, the whole place was jacked as RU was playing so well and the anticipation for the UNLV game. I believe the other win over Temple was in the 93 or 94 season, RU was struggling a bit but always a tough out at home and I think the rally over Temple on a Sunday afternoon was the biggest win of the season.
Unquestionably, the most disappointing loss to the Owls during that stretch was the 59-51 loss in the 1985 A-10 title game at the RAC. The loss was disappointing, but the lack of a sellout was even more disappointing. IIRC, only a little more than 6,000 fans attended. It was a disgrace not only because RU fans did not show up, but Temple fans didn't even make the short ride from Philly.

The reason: the Big East dominated northeastern college basketball at the time. Its games appeared on TV almost nightly. On the other hand, A-10 games could rarely be seen on TV. Frankly, not many fans paid attention to the A-10... including many of the alums of the league's schools.

It was Tom Young's last game as coach at RU. He said one of the main reasons he left was because it was next to impossible to recruit players. They wanted to be on TV and the A-10 could not provide it. The Sun Belt had a much better television package than the A-10, so Young decided to continue his career at Old Dominion.

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/03/10/sports/temple-tops-rutgers-to-win-atlantic-10.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Atlantic_10_men's_basketball_tournament

Chaney…very good coach but such a a jackass who never got called out.

March 6 1989

Soy

I watched that game in the "Crow" house. Then we waited in the freezing cold to get tickets for the final and got shutout. My roommates then borrowed my car and drove to Penn State to buy tickets from their allotment...no StubHub back then:) It was the opposite of what is going on for tomorrow's football game tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT