ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers "Dead Snap"

ashokan

Hall of Famer
May 3, 2011
AJ Blazek working on new snap

The "dead snap" is revolutionizing the quarterback-center exchange

More teams than ever before will break spiral-snap tradition and rely on the dead snap in 2017, as assistant coaches nurtured in the spread era flood sidelines and under-center playbooks become historical references. In 2016, 84 percent of snaps were run from the pistol or shotgun formation, a 33 percent increase since just 2011.

"This is something you're going to see more of," Rutgers offensive line coach AJ Blazek said.

Blazek was persuaded to experiment with football's primordial function by Northwestern assistant Adam Cushing, who was at a crossroads with his centers after the 2015 season. They couldn't snap the ball on target. His offensive coordinator, with each errant Saturday snap, would remind him of that. Seven snaps that season were classified as a disaster.

As Cushing canvassed the snapping landscape in his offseason probe, he noticed Michigan and a few other schools' centers peculiarly palming the football's nose rather than grabbing the laces in shotgun. They flipped and floated it back, allowing it to hang in the air without much rotation. It was a landmark judgment favoring precision over power.

That crude simplicity is the dead snap's most attractive feature. Once the ball is spotted, the center places the back point of the ball in his palm rather than gripping it like a quarterback arming a spiral. The nose is then placed into the ground so the ball is at a 45-degree angle with an inch of the ball grazing the turf. The fingers are spread, usually with one across the laces or seam to help with grip. Then with the wrist locked, the center swings his arm back like a pendulum and releases.

"Life changing," Cushing said.....

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...p-revolutionizing-quarterback-center-exchange

Last edited:
Wow! I had no idea this was a thing. I'm old enough to remember Staubach going with the shotgun and we thought it was crazy - totally nuts.

Thx for posting about this dead snap.

Reactions: ashokan
Heres an old video by a youth coach on how to do the dead ball snap.

I wonder how many centers actually wear a cup or "box"? Cups aren't actually popular with football players and most never use one. Funny that maybe a cup will be needed for a "dead snapper" lol

I wonder how many centers actually wear a cup or "box"? Cups aren't actually popular with football players and most never use one. Funny that maybe a cup will be needed for a "dead snapper" lol
This was at a youth football coaching clinic. Cups are mandatory in youth ball, esp in Pop Warner and their "knock on wood" cup check during weigh ins.

And BTW, I played center in HS many moons ago. I was having a good game vs nose tackle who got so frustrated, he flat out uppercutted me in the nuts after I snapped the ball one play. And yes, I was out for a couple of series. And yes I wore a cup for the rest of my playing days like I was a baseball catcher.

This was at a youth football coaching clinic. Cups are mandatory in youth ball, esp in Pop Warner and their "knock on wood" cup check during weigh ins.
I stopped wearing one in 7th grade. Only two two indirect hits through college. They couldn't be more restrictive when running

Last edited:
I stopped wearing one in 7th grade. Only two two indirect hits through college. But could be more restrictive when running

I tried on my first year of football (9th) but after a day it seemed pretty inefficient for running and even protection. Never wore one again (played center in 11th) including college.

Reactions: MozRU
Thanks for posting. I saw this technique at the Saturday practice and it is very startling to watch. I will say that this new technique did not produce better and more accurate snaps. In fact one of the things that stood out to me was how bad many of the snaps were on Saturday. The ball looks like a knuckle ball when it comes back to the QB and I'm not so sure this is a good thing, especially on a windy day. I realize that we have a new center so I'm not worried about this....yet.

FWIW, It worked with my 12-14 YOs when I coached back on the day. I had my center snap it like he was throwing standing up between the legs. Also tried other things that didn't cure the ground balls or pop ups to the QB. I saw this on YouTube, showed this to my C, and it worked for him most of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT