ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers extends football stadium naming rights deal with SHI per NJ.com

The deal will pay Rutgers Athletics a total of $11.2 million over the next six years, starting at $1.55 million in the 2024 fiscal year, increasing by an average of $120,000 each year and culminating with a $2.15 payout in FY29, per the contract.

If SHI activates its two-year option to extend the deal through June of 2031, it will pay an additional $4.6 million — $2.25 million in FY30, $2.35 million in FY31.

What happens if SHI merges with Taylor Home Equity And Design?
Subtly hilarious.

Then we need a sub mascot to accompany Sir Henry.

shithead-the-jerk.png

PS - I do appreciate SHI as a sponsor and their support $$$. I was hoping it would be someone like NJ’s largest private employer J&J. After all SHI is a tad of an unfortunate acronym …. That’s driven home every time they sing SHI-T shirt toss 😉
NJ's top employer is Amazon followed by Wakefern, Walmart, UPS and Johnson and Johnson is 5th

Reactions: Fat Koko
PS - I do appreciate SHI as a sponsor and their support $$$. I was hoping it would be someone like NJ’s largest private employer J&J. After all SHI is a tad of an unfortunate acronym …. That’s driven home every time they sing SHI-T shirt toss 😉
Not sure if you or @LeapinLou made the leap of logic on SHI and Taylor Home Equity and Design.

I like having SHI has a sponsor. They are a Rutgers-centric company. Don't see a health care or pharma company wanting to be a football stadium sponsor. The Athletic Performance center next to the Jersey Mike's Arena was an easier sell because there was a healthcare component to it.

Still amuses me that SHI apparently does not have a registered trademark denoted by R inside of a circle and goes with the TM subscript after SHI.

• Haha
Reactions: LeapinLou
Are people really making tons of jokes about SHI Stadium?
Where? "On social media"?i

Honestly, I couldn't tell you that I've ever heard anyone say the full stadium name in person ever.

They say it once maybe twice during broadcasts?

There is a need to realize first this is New Jersey… New Jerseyians are a fickle group who still don’t comprehend what a great school Rutgers is… or was. Don’t ever think our failure to play actual B1G time sports prior to the 1990’s - 2000’s didn’t cause part of that. The educational value and decent costs were lost upon thousands of students and parents. The silly demarcation lines drawn up of North, South , Central, Western also gave schools like Penn State - Syracuse - BC and others many in roads for recruiting . A lack of $$$$ is still an issue especially with NIL. Private funding could speed up an upgrade for the stadium but that has been discussed as nauseam on this forum. Maybe in 10 years?

NJ's top employer is Amazon followed by Wakefern, Walmart, UPS and Johnson and Johnson is 5th
You’re right depending on how you measure (# of employees, revenue, market value, etc.). However with AT&T’s HQ moving to Texas (many years ago) J&J became the largest NJ “headquarted” company based on market cap. Wakefern may have more employees as a NJ HQ company but lower market capitalization.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Jersey Mike's is over the $2B mark in annual sales. You'd think they would have an interest in the stadium as well.
Why ? It evidently is the best offer Rutgers could get as of today. Maybe in 5 years we find that Baby Daddy.

Why ? It evidently is the best offer Rutgers could get as of today. Maybe in 5 years we find that Baby Daddy.
Why you ask? For the same reason they would invest in the naming rights to the RAC.

You’re right depending on how you measure (# of employees, revenue, market value, etc.). However with AT&T’s HQ moving to Texas (many years ago) J&J became the largest NJ “headquarted” company based on market cap. Wakefern may have more employees as a NJ HQ company but lower market capitalization.
Wakefern ShopRite is then the #1 state business that is based in NJ and employees the most from NJ.

By what measure?
By the number of NJ residents working in NJ for a NJ based company. Amazon is not a NJ based company. Wakefern ShopRite has over double the amount of Johnson and Johnson NJ based employees

Why you ask? For the same reason they would invest in the naming rights to the RAC.
Didn’t happen yet and at least the Sub King Jersey Mike’s stepped up several years ago. As for making 2 billion $$$$ that’s what a good businessman does if they have any smarts.

Wasn't long ago (~2011-2019), the licensing deal with HighPoint yielded about $600,000 a year.

At least we're headed in the right direction. At about 1.5-1.6MM a year, naming rights to the stadium are now better than most G5 stadiums, though still lagging behind most P5 stadiums.

Last edited:
I don't like the one way option.
If the team is great, they opt in at a discount.
If the team tanks, they opt out.

Also, is there any comparable stadium naming rights deals?
Can't really judge the $$ without that.

I just hope this wasn't a "home town discount" offer without the Athletic Department doing the work to ensure its a market value deal.

Wasn't long ago (~2011-2019), the licensing deal with HighPoint yielded about $600,000 a year.

At least we're headed in the right direction. At about 1.5-1.6MM a year, naming rights to the stadium are now better than most G5 stadiums, though still lagging behind most P5 stadiums.
Maybe this link is outdated, but is the only other B1G stadiums that have a corporate name are Minnesota and Maryland?

And Minnesota's deal is less lucrative that Rutgers' deal, which operates on a shorter term, which is smart. Minnesota's deal began in 2005 and runs until 2030 for $35 million.

Maryland's deal is less lucrative.

And remember, Rutgers also has the stadium club naming right deal with Provident Bank. A very provident move.

Reactions: NickRU714
Maybe this link is outdated, but is the only other B1G stadiums that have a corporate name are Minnesota and Maryland?

And Minnesota's deal is less lucrative that Rutgers' deal, which operates on a shorter term, which is smart. Minnesota's deal began in 2005 and runs until 2030 for $35 million.

Maryland's deal is less lucrative.

And remember, Rutgers also has the stadium club naming right deal with Provident Bank. A very provident move.

Haha. Thanks for the immediate response!

Seems like we got a good deal then.

Haha. Thanks for the immediate response!

Seems like we got a good deal then.
My response was to @RUSK97 , not you, but it did answer your question, which was very prescient of me. I did not do much research, but it seems like there is a dearth of naming rights deal for entire B1G stadiums. Did not look at UW, Oregon, USC and UCLA. Michigan State has a naming rights deal for premium seating.

But by comparison to Maryland and Minnesota, which are more of our B1G peers, "we done good" and well too!!!

All of that aside, the SHI naming together with the TM is still some funny stuff. But very glad that they chose to sponsor Rutgers football good on them!!!

Reactions: NickRU714
My response was to @RUSK97 , not you, but it did answer your question, which was very prescient of me. I did not do much research, but it seems like there is a dearth of naming rights deal for entire B1G stadiums. Did not look at UW, Oregon, USC and UCLA. Michigan State has a naming rights deal for premium seating.

But by comparison to Maryland and Minnesota, which are more of our B1G peers, "we done good" and well too!!!

All of that aside, the SHI naming together with the TM is still some funny stuff. But very glad that they chose to sponsor Rutgers football good on them!!!

Separate thread but what does the sponsor really get?
I didn't take any marketing classes at RU but these sponsors don't move the needle for me.
What is the ROI?

I'm not going to Jerseys Mike's more and previosuly.
Or using SHI for whatever they do.

I got a flyer in the mail for the "Official Car Wash of Rutgers Athletics".
How much are they paying for that designation?

I didn't take any marketing classes at RU but these sponsors don't move the needle for me.
What is the ROI?

Not paying..just free washes for the staff.

What is the ROI?

Good question. Maybe they think that they will pick up enough business from Rutgers employees, students, athletes (soon to all be employees! 😉 ), alums, etc. to make it worth their while.

SHI- I assume they sell software, but not sure and don't have the time to see if I can give them some business. If anything, wondering if they have an ad in the program that helps them drum up business?

Banks seem more straightforward. It's easy for businesses and individuals to give business to a bank.

Jersey Mikes- don't feel any greater allegiance to increase my spend there. We don't eat fast food except on rare occasions.

Our small LLC sponsors charity events more for the charity aspect but we figure we might get a little bit of goodwill out of it. But we are in such a small niche business that we doubt we will get any business from our sponsorships.

What is the ROI?

The Jersey Mike's deal gives Jersey Mike's three broad sets of rights. Good luck on calculating ROI on this deal. As a Rutgers fan, I am happy Rutgers knows what it is getting. For example, $1,155,688 in cash on March 31, 2024. From Jersey Mike's perspective, maybe they are following John Wanamaker's view or maybe not. John W, "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half."

1) Signage rights to:
- Arena roof
- Arena facades
- Potential future exterior digital signage
- Video boards
- On-court signage
- Basket pad stanchion signage
- Videoboard underbelly
- SHI stadium branding
- Rotational signage (digital boards in the building)
- Concourse signage
- Ancillary branding (Jersey Mike's logos on tickets, digital tickets, concession receipts, buttons on arena staff)
- Press conference background (Jersey Mike's logo with ban on competitor logos)

2) Sponsorship inventory rights:
- Intellectual property rights (Rutgers marks and logos)
- Official designation (official sandwich partner of Rutgers)
- Category exclusivity (Jersey Mike's can ban competitors from selling food in the arena)
- Digital branding (Jersey Mike's logo on scarletknight.com basketball websites)
- Marketing asset fund (Rutgers athletics transfers $50,000 to Jersey Mike's each year for marketing)
- Future premium seating (Jersey Mike's gets a luxury box if they get built)
- Game tickets and parking (100 tickets to home games, 20 tickets to away games, 4 tickets to B1G and NCAA tournament games)
- Various other gameday perks including courtside seats and parking passes
- Employee appreciation event (Jersey Mike's employees hang out in arena on a non-game day)
- Arena use (3 days when Jersey Mike's can use the arena as a non-course rental)
- Promotional nights (4 games when Jersey Mike's can do on-court promotions)
- Student-athlete corporate engagement (Jersey Mike's internships for Rutgers athletes, Jersey Mike's features at Rutgers career fairs)
- Radio and print (Jersey Mike's advertisements on radio, print materials including posters and programs)

3) Plaza - Rutgers transfers development rights to the plaza in front of the arena to Jersey Mike's

Nobody at all is bitching. Just having some fun and laughter.

stripes lighten GIF
So complaining about why not J&J or other better known companies were not " chosen" , as if we had unlimited choices, is not bitching? By the way my names not Francis. Go buy another ev.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT