ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Faculty Union Announces Opposition To NJ Bill That Will Protect From Antisemitism

I don't think you'd have any problem getting the stage or police protection. Still, I understand that what you're describing would be awful. But it doesn't allow the university to punish an individual based on their out-of-classroom speech. Two wrongs don't make a right.

How should universities proceed when it comes to professors who give assignments to attend political “protests”? Or professors who change class location to an anti Israel encampment? Or professors who cancel class so they can attend and encourage students to attend? Or professors who canceled finals so the class can attend? Each one of these examples occurred. Some more than others. Each example infringes on the 1A rights of students/families/taxpayers who have different positions.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
How should universities proceed when it comes to professors who give assignments to attend political “protests”? Or professors who change class location to an anti Israel encampment? Or professors who cancel class so they can attend and encourage students to attend? Or professors who canceled finals so the class can attend? Each one of these examples occurred. Some more than others. Each example infringes on the 1A rights of students/families/taxpayers who have different positions.

LOL. I had professors cancel class for Yom Kippur. No one alleged a 1A violation.

I had high school teachers assign us students to work on political campaigns. No taxpayers cried.

Stick to posting Trafalgar polls LOL

It doesn't work like that. It's not the government that's restricting free speech, it's the students and faculty.

Actually, that is exactly how it works. The First Amendment protects the speaker from government intrusion. Eg, the state cannot pick and choose the speech it likes.

It doesn't protect speakers from other speakers.

If you can prove otherwise with court decisions, please do so.

AIPAC's primary objective is keep the Jews in Israel from being killed. If a democrat is willing to support a strong Israeli defense, they would support them.

You asked for proof AIPAC supports those behind domestic terror.

I proved AIPAC supports:

- Domestic Terror
- The antisemitic replacement theory
- Islamophobia
- Xenophobia
- Homophobia

And your reaction is that they are protecting Jews in Israel, so that's OK?

How about the Jews in the Tree of Life Synagogue who were murdered by a proponent of the Great Replacement Theory?

As Americans, shouldn't our priority be Americans? Including the Jewish community here, which is larger than the Jewish community in Israel, which suffered a terrorist attack because of theories AIPAC helps fund?

Why would Democrats- or anyone- want anything to do with an org like AIPAC who funds politicians that repeat antisemitic conspiracy theories that kill Americans?

And seems like AIPAC is doing a pretty bad job keeping Jews in Israel safe. Oct 7 happened under their criminally indicted political patron (though I'm sure the Israeli prosecutor who indicted him is somehow antisemitic).

LOL. I had professors cancel class for Yom Kippur. No one alleged a 1A violation.

I had high school teachers assign us students to work on political campaigns. No taxpayers cried.

Stick to posting Trafalgar polls LOL
Yom kippur is a nationally recognized holiday. Just because your teachers did that does not mean it is ok. If you went to public school in NJ I’m willing to bet it is against district policy and the association contract for sure. Nor does any of that speak to my questions

These are interesting questions. The First Amendment bars anyone from being compelled to speak a certain way. (The classic example is the Supreme Court's decision that no one can be punished for not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance) Are these compelled speech? The last two don't strike me as this -- cancelling classes so that students can attend or encouraging students to attend a protest -might lead students to attend a protest but don't make them do it or punish them not to do it.. The first two questions are closer: is attendance at a protest an endorsement of its cause? If it is, then it's forced speech -- but that's a big if. (In my experience, lots of students attend rallies to see what was going on but not necessarily to join in.) I once heard that Schiano (during 1.0) encouraged athletes to attend a rally (not about Israel) to learn more about the issue and be part of the larger campus community, but I don't know what his exact message was.

Yom kippur is a nationally recognized holiday. Just because your teachers did that does not mean it is ok. If you went to public school in NJ I’m willing to bet it is against district policy and the association contract for sure. Nor does any of that speak to my questions
The New York City schools have long cancelled for Yom Kippur. The idea is that there will be so few students and teachers in attendance that it makes no sense to hold classes. The law school at Camden once cancelled for Yom Kippur -- the faculty is heavily Jewish but the student body and staff are not -- and was told by the central administration to *not* do that again.

The New York City schools have long cancelled for Yom Kippur. The idea is that there will be so few students and teachers in attendance that it makes no sense to hold classes. The law school at Camden once cancelled for Yom Kippur -- the faculty is heavily Jewish but the student body and staff are not -- and was told by the central administration to *not* do that again.
I think the vast majority of P- University institutions recognize Yom Kippur as an observable holiday. This is very different from a political event. I will point out the most obvious difference is individuals are able to observe personally and privately and are not expected/encouraged to attend an event the professor or teacher is supporting. I point this out because my original questions have to do with infringements on the 1A rights of the student/family/taxpayer compared to the 1A right of the professor teacher.

I think the vast majority of P- University institutions recognize Yom Kippur as an observable holiday. This is very different from a political event. I will point out the most obvious difference is individuals are able to observe personally and privately and are not expected/encouraged to attend an event the professor or teacher is supporting. I point this out because my original questions have to do with infringements on the 1A rights of the student/family/taxpayer compared to the 1A right of the professor teacher.
"Expected/encouraged" (note that the two are not at all the same) is not compulsion. It would be quite different if, for instance, attending the protest would give a student points toward a higher grade or if a student not attending would have points taken off.

BTW, I don't know what you mean by "an observable holiday." The rule at Rutgers is that a student may not be disadvantaged by missing a class or an exam for religious observance. Thus an absence must be excused or a student allowed to make up an exam. That applies no matter what the religion. Indeed, it would be unconstitutional for Rutgers to differentiate among religions: to say, for instance, that observance of Christian or Jewish holidays is excused but that observance of Muslim holidays is not.

Yom Kippur is a national holiday?! In the US? Proof?

It is common nationally for teachers to encourage students to join campaigns. There is an alternative option to write a paper. No one is downgraded because of the campaign they choose.

You really have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the 1A works.

At schools like RU, there are demonstrations on "both sides" of any issue including Israel and Palestine. Saying attend a demonstration and write about your experience is not at all a 1A violation. No one has their viewpoint or speech impacted in any way by merely attending a demonstration especially when they choose what they want to attend. By this token, Theater Appreciation class is a 1A violation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT