ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Football APR Drops

Reactions: Knight Shift
Who were the guys who were academically ineligible last year that caused the APR to drop?

If they leave the program, even if they were academically eligible, they cause the APR to drop. Don't know how you blame the academic advisors under those circumstances.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Kyle Flood beat Michigan and took us to a bowl.

It's almost amazing to think that in our first year in the conference we beat 5 Power 5 teams (WSU, Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, UNC). I can't even imagine that now. Ash is so much worse than Flood.

Also consider QB recruiting. Flood's main QB recruits were Chris Laviano, Gio Rescigno, and Anthony Russo....not great, but all players who started and won games at the highest level. Ash's QB recruits--Tylin Odin, Jonathan Lewis, and Art Sitkowski--have one win (Texas State) between them.

bump because someone started a thread on the same issue .
This bump is to make sure the original thread gets the traffic.

Again I must state it's a joke that Ash pocketed $50,000 for having the 2017-18 season over 960 when it dropped 19 points from the 2016-17 season and wound up at 968 from the 987 it was the previous year.

Also consider QB recruiting. Flood's main QB recruits were Chris Laviano, Gio Rescigno, and Anthony Russo....not great, but all players who started and won games at the highest level. Ash's QB recruits--Tylin Odin, Jonathan Lewis, and Art Sitkowski--have one win (Texas State) between them.
You forgot other Flood recruits:
Anthony Russo- won 7 games for Temple last year.
Mike Dare won a game or two for Sam Houston State.

And you forgot another Ash recruit- Tom Flacco--he won a lot of games last year. . . . .

You didn’t go to Catholic school.

Sister Clare could drop many in this forum.

And Bruce is not tall.
Those that did, know the tricks Nuns can do with a ruler.
Back in the day Nuns didn't just use them to break knuckles but also like shoe-horns making us fit in ungodly places we never dreamed we could.
:eek:[roll]

And you forgot another Ash recruit- Tom Flacco--he won a lot of games last year. . . . .

I had Russo but did forget about Dare. He's probably a wash with Sit. But it's hilarious that his third year in the program having recruited four QBs, Ash had to turn to Flood's guy Rescigno to try to save his a$$

I had Russo but did forget about Dare. He's probably a wash with Sit. But it's hilarious that his third year in the program having recruited four QBs, Ash had to turn to Flood's guy Rescigno to try to save his a$$
I never understood why they recruited Oden. The kid looked like a stick figure. And that damn sequence where they tried to use him on the goal line stand against Iowa was idiotic.

I have some faith that McNulty can get it done if Ash stays out of the way. The major problem will be the OL recruiting and development under Ash has been horrific.

...I can see what you’re getting at with QB but the more we get into ‘Flood’s recruits’ outside of 5-10 guys (many of whom were recruited off of Schiano’s coattails) the uglier it gets...big problem is Ash has been no better. OL/DL recruiting has been horrid and QB even worse.

Joe P.

With the credit card charges they faced, I would guess some of them stopped going to class and helped cause the drop.
The ones reinstated probably stayed in academic good graces before they came back.
Vaccaro-Dixon, Jones, Onyechi and Marfo remained at Rutgers while dealing with their legal issues, attending classes while serving a team suspension last fall.
DeVera, Gray and Simmons left Rutgers and transferred to community colleges.
They could have transfered not in good academic standing.
Gray, I'm not sure of his status, but another guess of someone letting his studies go south. .

Then you have Izaia Bullock and his attempted murder conspiracy arrest.
Can't say if his academics suffered, but would guess he helped lower the APR.

Bullock was not on scholarship, so he does not count.

So you are just guessing Ash and the academic staff did not do a good job.

If they leave the program, even if they were academically eligible, they cause the APR to drop. Don't know how you blame the academic advisors under those circumstances.

I was arguing the same thing, it was Madhat blaming the academic staff without any support.

Bullock was not on scholarship, so he does not count.

So you are just guessing Ash and the academic staff did not do a good job.
That's right, since I don't have personal knowledge of why the drop , just gave a guess why.
Also felt a drop like that needs to have someone or group held responsible because there are people supposed to look into the academic eligibility of the players and try to make sure of the players living up to their academic responsibility .

Now a few questions ( for anyone who cares to answer)
When a HC is praised for improving a school's APR, shouldn't he/she share the blame when it drops ?

Also what roles do Scott Walker,Darrack Brown and Bill Bailey have, if it isn't to help the players with academic problems ?

Isn't the APR based on the whole roster, not just the players on scholarship and even walk-ons affect it?

If non scholarship members of the roster aren't part of the APR ratings and their leaving don't affect it, I shouldn't have included Izaia.

Edit: a drop like that should be a major concern and just a bunch of transfers that were in good shape academically shouldn't cause that big of a drop in my opinion.

But for those who think I'm talking out of my Hat, maybe if the numbers leaving is big enough , that could cause the drop ( even if all were in good academic standing) and I'm wrong for placing the blame on the HC and academic support staff.

Last edited:
If you hired a guy with the sole purpose of destroying a program, he could not do a better job than Ash.

Guy is not just a bad coach, he's a lowlife, who has nothing but disdain and disrespect for his employer.

Reactions: Salvi's Headband
apr_explain_new.jpg

It appears leaving the program in good standing is as much of a detriment to the APR as a player staying but is ineligible.

Reactions: MADHAT1
...I can see what you’re getting at with QB but the more we get into ‘Flood’s recruits’ outside of 5-10 guys (many of whom were recruited off of Schiano’s coattails) the uglier it gets...big problem is Ash has been no better. OL/DL recruiting has been horrid and QB even worse.

Joe P.

Nobody thinks flood was good. The point is about how disastrous Ash's QB recruiting has been.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
apr_explain_new.jpg

It appears leaving the program in good standing is as much of a detriment to the APR as a player staying but is ineligible.
Thanks Jason, with what you posted it looks like I was wrong to berate the academic support staff and Ash for the 19 point drop.
Also this >The membership made the decision to only include scholarship student-athletes in the metric in part to create consistency across the measurements of all schools. There was also an initial concern about the academic success of scholarship student-athletes. The APR came into place to address concerns regarding how student-athletes in certain sports were graduating. Those tended to be the scholarship student-athletes. It’s not that they’re not concerned about walk-ons and their academic success, it’s just that they traditionally have not been a problem.<http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/academic-progress-rate-qa
shows PaKnight was right in calling me out for including Bullock in my list of players that helped make the 19 point drop happen .

I feel when wrong it's best to admit your error instead of acting like you don't make mistakes by refusing to acknowledge the mistake(s) you made

You need to take these things with a grain of salt. Rashan Gary was a two time All b1G academic team member. Which I think means he had a 3.0 GPA or higher. Rashan Gary scored a 9 on his wonderlic test, which translates to barely literate.

Yeah, I always wonder why the NCAA bothers measuring things like this that are entirely under the control (and behind the curtain) of the schools themselves.

Back in my ACC days I always laughed at UNC's tremendous academic track record, while we (Maryland) threw our basketball captain (Chris McCray) off the team over Christmas break because he became academically ineligible.

Posted the link to that at 5:26 last evening, but I guess that's not enough.
my apologies for not checking the link in that post.
Would have helped keep me from posting my wrong opinion about why the APR dropped.

I do think they’re going to have to re-evaluate the equation with “free agency portal”. Maybe something like if the player transfers to a new school on scholarship in good standing there’s only a 1/2 point penalty.

Because of CC4?
#11 in the B1G.

https://expo.nj.com/sports/g66l-201...cademic-score-that-has-bowl-implications.html

Rutgers football single-year APR scores:
  • 2017-18: 968
  • 2016-17: 987
  • 2015-16 : 981
  • 2014-15: 948
  • 2013-14: 974
  • 2012-13: 991
  • 2011-12: 976
  • 2010-11: 977
  • 2009-10: 974
  • 2008-09: 985
Rutgers football multi-year APR scores:
In 2013-2014, Rutgers football ranked No. 12 nationally in multi-year APR, marking the eighth straight year of landing in the top 10 percent nationally. The program has not been recognized since.
  • 2017-18: 971
  • 2016-17: 973
  • 2015-16 973
  • 2014-15 972
  • 2013-14: 980
  • 2012-13: 980
  • 2011-12: 978
  • 2010-11: 982
  • 2009-10: 988
  • 2008-09: 992
  • 2007-08: 980
  • 2006-07: 977
  • 2005-06: 971
  • 2004-05: 961
Rutgers football's multi-year score in Big Ten:
1-Northwestern 996
2-Ohio State 987
3-Illinois 982
3-Michigan 982
5-Penn State 979
5-Wisconsin 979
7-Minnesota 978
8-Nebraska 977
9-Iowa 973
10-Indiana 972
11-Rutgers 971
12-Maryland 965
13-Purdue 956
14-Michigan State 948

Rutgers Needs more Golf Appreciation courses / majors like OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT