ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Rutgers Football lands Minnesota QB Athan Kaliakmanis and WR Dino Kaliakmanis

Did you see the OSU qb in the Cotton Bowl?

Over 2200 yds of production does not make you the worse P5 QB. I’m not into predictions but here’s one for you: if Gavin wins the qb comp he increase his passing and running #s and will be close to 3,000 total yds of production next season.

GO RU

I’m not rooting against him. I hope you’re right. But you’re also predicting a 27% increase in production, which would be a huge leap.

Agreed. Greg will let it rip when he has the appropriate personnel. I think he’s been on record of saying that he prefers a balanced offense (50/50).

That being said in GS 1.0 he tended to shy away from going on 4th downs deep in the opponents side of the field and would prefer going for a fg or punting. I think in GS 2.0 he would adapt to being more aggressive with a stronger passing attack with an improved wr corp, a TE threat over the middle and more accuracy at the qb position.

GO RU
Agree

Did you see the OSU qb in the Cotton Bowl?

Over 2200 yds of production does not make you the worse P5 QB. I’m not into predictions but here’s one for you: if Gavin wins the qb comp he increase his passing and running #s and will be close to 3,000 total yds of production next season.

GO RU
That’s a whopper of an absurd prediction. Averaging 250 a game. Got it. How many YPG for Monangai and Brown in addition ?

Reactions: drewbagel423
He is so bad that we went from 4-8 to 7-5. We saw bad QB play in the bowl games. If he was as bad as you said, no way we win 7 games.

He ranked #98 in country with 1735 pass yards and the only two guys below him played 2 games and 5 games less.

We won games because we have a very good defense and run the ball well. It was a great coaching job to get us to 7.

He ranked #98 in country with 1735 pass yards and the only two guys below him played 2 games and 5 games less.

We won games because we have a very good defense and run the ball well. It was a great coaching job to get us to 7.
Most QBs don’t play the schedule we have. It’s a team sport. QB is kind of important position in football.

Most QBs don’t play the schedule we have. It’s a team sport. QB is kind of important position in football.

You really think that we can’t improve at the QB position? Come on. I get it if you think AK stinks but we’re playing games with one arm tied behind our backs at the QB position.

Reactions: Shelby65
Ok sure but - What’s your point? He threw 9 design play isolated point in time passes. Not meaningful at all.

I’m talking about a 2019 game where Langhan threw 21 passes which is more than a meaningful sample size to assess performance in a single game against a non-power team. Gavin threw 21 and 19 passes vs Temple and Wagner this year. Langhan was much more accurate in his one outing as a frosh than Gavin was in either of these games. And it’s apples to apples. Full stop.
LMAO. In 2019, Langan averaged 71yds/game in nine conference games for 46.7% completion rating with 9 ints in seven game starts.

Where would you rate that in today’s P5?

I can’t with you anymore.

GO RU

He is so bad that we went from 4-8 to 7-5. We saw bad QB play in the bowl games. If he was as bad as you said, no way we win 7 games.
It's like a never ending merry-go-round of circular logic. What else could account for a jump to 7-5? A good defense? A hugely improved OL? The Big Ten's leading rusher?

Reactions: drewbagel423

Yeah you’re right. Zack Wilson would be a great qb if the schedule wasn’t too hard. Not his fault. Against an FCS schedule he’d be elite.

GW is QB1 on Big10 team. It doesn’t matter how well he’d do FCS. What matters is if he has the talent to play QB well in our conference and clearly he does not…unless you only expect a qb to hand the ball off 9 times out of 10.

If I understand his argument, he is saying that you have to discount Athan's stats because that same year one of his wide receivers was ranked in the top 100 statistically, and GW didn't have a top 100 receiver. That's circular logic and that statement by itself means nothing. That's like saying Mike Teel wasn't that good because he had two 1,000 yard receivers to throw to. Those two receivers don't get 1k yards each if Teel isn't good.
Sorry, but if you can’t see that there is a WR talent issue on this team, then there really is nothing else to discuss. Maryland had 7 pass breakups when they faced us. Miami had four. Did you see passes from intended for Carroo, Sanu, or Britt broken up? It almost never happened because they were exceptional talents. Similarly, we do not have a Daniel Jackson caliber talent on our roster. He is on par with Carro, Sanu, etc.

So it’s not a stretch to say that Athan will not be as effective at Rutgers as he was at Minnesota, because Rutgers lacks the WR talent, though they are working hard to rectify that. Mike Teel in his prime could be our quarterback and we still wouldn’t have a 1,000 yard WR, because they lack ball skills, struggle to make contested catches, and generally aren’t fast, compared to the defenders they are going up against.

You really think that we can’t improve at the QB position? Come on. I get it if you think AK stinks but we’re playing games with one arm tied behind our backs at the QB position.
I just don’t think AK is an obvious improvement. I do agree we need to improve at the position. Been saying if we got DJU, we would be a 10 win team.

It's like a never ending merry-go-round of circular logic. What else could account for a jump to 7-5? A good defense? A hugely improved OL? The Big Ten's leading rusher?
I agree rushing game was a big upgrade. I also know that RB rushing yards didn’t increase that much YOY. Rushing yards by QB made a big jump.

Sorry, but if you can’t see that there is a WR talent issue on this team, then there really is nothing else to discuss. Maryland had 7 pass breakups when they faced us. Miami had four. Did you see passes from intended for Carroo, Sanu, or Britt broken up? It almost never happened because they were exceptional talents. Similarly, we do not have a Daniel Jackson caliber talent on our roster. He is on par with Carro, Sanu, etc.

So it’s not a stretch to say that Athan will not be as effective at Rutgers as he was at Minnesota, because Rutgers lacks the WR talent, though they are working hard to rectify that. Mike Teel in his prime could be our quarterback and we still wouldn’t have a 1,000 yard WR, because they lack ball skills, struggle to make contested catches, and generally aren’t fast, compared to the defenders they are going up against.
If we have our full compliment of WRs next year, and TE play improves, we will see a vastly improved passing game.

So, slow day here. Based on your post I went to watch the vid showing every throw by Wimsatt in the Maryland Game. The fist play says a lot.

I’m not rooting against him. I hope you’re right. But you’re also predicting a 27% increase in production, which would be a huge leap.
With all the baby screen and check down throws he missed not counting the chunk plays down field and the open opps to run [either by design or his choice] to a wide open field, this prediction is not far fetched.

First he has to win the job over Athan.

Let the games begin.

GO RU

So, slow day here. Based on your post I went to watch the vid showing every throw by Wimsatt in the Maryland Game. The fist play says a lot.
OK, watched the whole thing again. Honestly, how can anyone watch that and not 100% think that RU needs an upgrade at QB? Come on Al.

So at least 5 horribly inaccurate passes to wide open receivers. Like, can't hit the side of a barn bad, not in the same zip code, bad throws. Most of his completions were under 5 yards. Numerous examples where an open receiver in the flat had to dive or stumble to make a short gain, where a good throw leads them for a large gain. It was really bad.

Of the breakups, at least two were tipped at the line. Another was broken up as an underthrow when the WR had a step deep on the DB. Another the throw was late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
OK, watched the whole thing again. Honestly, how can anyone watch that and not 100% think that RU needs an upgrade at QB? Come on Al.

So at least 5 horribly inaccurate passes to wide open receivers. Like, can't hit the side of a barn bad, not in the same zip code, bad throws. Most of his completions were under 5 yards. Numerous examples where an open receiver in the flat had to dive or stumble to make a short gain, where a good throw leads them for a large gain. It was really bad.

Of the breakups, at least two were tipped at the line. Another was broken up as an underthrow when the WR had a step deep on the DB. Another the throw was late.
You just responded to your own post? MD was bad for GW. Probably his worst game of the year. It was also the worst game of the year for our D.

He was a redshirt frosh who took zero snaps the prior season. Thrust into action against 2 back to back ranked teams. After those two games he went a combined 59.0% the rest of the season against all major conference schools. Including strong performances in his last two outings (Wisky and Cuse bowl game).

Guess how many times in his career Gavin matched or exceeded this output that your calling “not promising”? I’ll include Wagner (which isn’t really fair because we’re not including Athan’s 3 for 3 showing against Western Illinois). He broke 59% in 2 games over 2 season - Wagner and PSU.
Sure we can put context around the numbers, but those are the numbers, and they aren't impressive(except for the Wisconsin game, which is a very good looking stat line).

Did Gavin ever do better? No, but that is why we are bringing in a guy coming off a meh season. We know Gavin didn't pass well. Super low bar to clear.

That’s a whopper of an absurd prediction. Averaging 250 a game. Got it. How many YPG for Monangai and Brown in addition ?
Yes. 200 yds of passing and 25-50 yds of running is feasible.

Run game: 125-150/game.

GO RU

So they get a Minnesota transfer where the OC came from which shows all u need to know about Wimsatt. His days are done

Ok Mr. “Qb Eyes”. Guess your vision is better than all the college coaches that offered Gavin, Elite 11 evaluators, Greg, Sean, Kirk and opposing BIG coaches. Your mystic powers from the 1960s knows when they see a “real” qb and bygoneit you see it now with a qb that ran away from comp at a fellow BIG school to come and save the position for good ‘Ole RU.

Save it. The guy coming in has to compete and will win the job over Gavin if he’s consistently better. Performance will be charted and a starter will or will not be named at the end of spring camp. If not it will be determined over the summer. The loser of the competition has to take it like a big boy whether you’ve been with the program or just came in.

My money is on Gavin to either win the starting position or stay with the program as a second string if he loses out. Athan will either win it, lose it and be a supportive backup or transfer out again because he lost the comp.

May the best qb win.

GO RU
😂 QB eyes 👀 is that name calling?

Reactions: dconifer

Shhhh...GW is the worst QB RU ever had and the 5 yr, 500 yd, 3 TD total WR is Wayne Chrebet.

Everyone knows that Wimsatt needs to get better. But there are a number of throws that would have been caught by better WRs. What we have at the WR position are contributors and what we need are difference makers. Carroo, Sanu, and Britt are examples of difference makers. Miami’s Xavier Restrepo is another difference maker and had 99 yards receiving even though the freshman qb didn’t throw that great at times. Nevertheless, he made the difficult throws look routine.

Athan threw to a difference maker in Jackson at Minnesota. He might not have someone like that at Rutgers, though we all hope Miller will be that guy this year. But that is not assured. Incoming Duff and Black should eventually be difference makers, but they will probably need time to acclimate to this level of play.

Everyone knows that Wimsatt needs to get better. But there are a number of throws that would have been caught by better WRs. What we have at the WR position are contributors and what we need are difference makers. Carroo, Sanu, and Britt are examples of difference makers. Miami’s Xavier Restrepo is another difference maker and had 99 yards receiving even though the freshman qb didn’t throw that great at times. Nevertheless, he made the difficult throws look routine.

Athan threw to a difference maker in Jackson at Minnesota. He might not have someone like that at Rutgers, though we all hope Miller will be that guy this year. But that is not assured. Incoming Duff and Black should eventually be difference makers, but they will probably need time to acclimate to this level of play.
It would be nice to have a difference maker at QB instead of needing WR difference makers. Strange that you put put the burden of responsibility for what we need at the WR spot and not the QB spot. But I thought our WRs were average and our QB was below average. And my very own eyes saw many passes, every game, that sailed over open receivers. I've watched....I don't know, hundreds of football games. I I don't need advanced stats to spot an inaccurate passer that is missing open receivers.

It would be nice to have a difference maker at QB instead of needing WR difference makers. Strange that you put put the burden of responsibility for what we need at the WR spot and not the QB spot. But I thought our WRs were average and our QB was below average. And my very own eyes saw many passes, every game, that sailed over open receivers. I've watched....I don't know, hundreds of football games. I I don't need advanced stats to spot an inaccurate passer that is missing open receivers.
Our QB difference makers are developed not recruited. Took Mike Teel 4.5 years to be a difference maker who could carry the team on his back. Took Gary Nova 3 years, and he was a difference maker in year 4. The hope is that Gavin develops into same, once he fixes his issues.

Our QB difference makers are developed not recruited. Took Mike Teel 4.5 years to be a difference maker who could carry the team on his back. Took Gary Nova 3 years, and he was a difference maker in year 4. The hope is that Gavin develops into same, once he fixes his issues.
I have that hope also. But I, and the coaching staff, realize that there is too much riding on this to have to "hope" that the most important player on the field "fixes his issues." The obvious answer is to try to find an upgrade. If Wimsatt wins the battle great.

His receivers were very good, competition was less. I still think he has the goods and more running ability than has been shown to date. The goal is 8 wins. Our schedule demands a better passing game.

Reactions: Kbee3
His receivers were very good, competition was less. I still think he has the goods and more running ability than has been shown to date. The goal is 8 wins. Our schedule demands a better passing game.
This,
And now we will finally have an option at that position to improve the Offense.

I don’t think their competition was that much less. They played Michigan and OSU on crossover this year.

Yes, we played PSU while they got Nebraska. But this was offset somewhat in that they played @ UNC in non-conference compared to us playing home vs Virginia Tech.

Maryland was a harder game than Illinois, but then Indiana is probably worse than Purdue. Also, Eastern Michigan and Louisiana are much better than both Temple and Wagner.

So maybe our schedule a little harder, but our weakest opponents were much worse than theirs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT