ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Rutgers Football lands Minnesota QB Athan Kaliakmanis and WR Dino Kaliakmanis

Shelby is questioning Shelby how can this be happening…😡
It is amusing, this perception. Shelby is indifferent to Cuse on balance. Root for them underdog if v Clemson,FSU or ND. Root against them as favorites or even odds.

And he always roots for the basketball team to lose ever since Howard Triche and Rony Seikaly.

I'll say it. QB by committee? The Kaliakpackage and the Wimsituational.
Allows the coaches to run the QB a little more knowing that you have an experienced backup with similar skillset. Also allows for a little more trickeration which could get you a big unexpected win or two in a season.

Have not seen GW run or make throws like this on any occasion including the touchdown run he had, never seen him break a tackle or move piles like in this reel. Never seen him make throws like that or ever heard a commentator say he is opening up the vertical passing game for his team like this reel.
The Wimsatt era is thankfully and mercifully come to an end. Nice Kid and not a QB.
Funny how this transfer and Gavin have almost identical stats and you’re pinning your hopes on a player that left his program because he wasn’t guaranteed to start a bowl game.

I think you might find that the demise of Gavin is slightly exaggerated. Let them compete before writing off the incumbent.

GO RU

He also only lost 2 fumbles - same for Kaliakmanis.
These guys aren't massively different.
Kaliak has slightly better accuracy and Gavin is tied for 6th for QB rushing TDs (11).
Gavin is actually pretty good at rushing for scores - he gets right in there without fumbling.
QB Rushing TDs mostly irrelevant. Those are usually 1-2 yard stat padding dives any RB could get instead. Props for the IU TD but it’s the QB’s job to move the chains and lead long drives. Rushing yards, passing yards, passing TDs and INTsare the meaningful metrics for QBs.

He should ramp up quickly because he knows KC's system. It will be very interesting. Do you think next year RU will have dual quarterbacks like we did in the

Funny how this transfer and Gavin have almost identical stats and you’re pinning your hopes on a player that left his program because he wasn’t guaranteed to start a bowl game.

I think you might find that the demise of Gavin is slightly exaggerated. Let them compete before writing off the incumbent.

GO RU
Let Surace play next year, I mean the best QB.

Reactions: jtung230

GO RU
Because he wasn’t guaranteed to start a bowl game? What? Minny paid a third string kid 30k and begged him to play. He was guaranteed to start for the bowl. Next year was the uncertainty which would be a given anywhere. I’m sure he left because he wanted to play in a different offensive scheme. He played for 3 OCs at Minny. Had a bond with KC and decided to come to RU. In terms of reasons to leave this one seems pretty straightforward and as far from a red flag as you can get. Kid had a better year in 2022. He wants to play for the guy who got more out of him. What’s wrong with that?

Minnesota had a 14% drop rate — second worst in country. AK’s adjusted completion percentage is actually 66%
I think one of the reasons that Minny had a high drop rate is that Kaliakmanis has no touch on his throws, at least in the games that I saw. He throws fastballs even when the receiver is only 5 - 10 yards away. He'll need to improve on his touch.

Because the other two backups have a combined 10 snaps of experience. Competition is good too.
This is absolutely the correct answer. Let the chips fall where they may, and where the coaches decide. It's a fun debate, but all of this drop % don't mean squat until the two QBs are put side by side and the coaches make a decision on who gives RU the best chance to win. Even with that, the debate will not end here, which is good, because it means we have a fanbase that wants us to win, or at least "their" QB to win. I never committed that sin. 😉

This is absolutely the correct answer. Let the chips fall where they may, and where the coaches decide. It's a fun debate, but all of this drop % don't mean squat until the two QBs are put side by side and the coaches make a decision on who gives RU the best chance to win. Even with that, the debate will not end here, which is good, because it means we have a fanbase that wants us to win, or at least "their" QB to win. I never committed that sin. 😉
And the 2nd string QB will be best :-)

I agree. One of the reason's why Schiano is that GW takes care of the ball.
Yes he did. But my joke was that he did actually throw I believe 3 pick sixes (maybe just the 2).
Mich-screen pass blown up and returned

Wisc-down by the goal-line defense disguised coverage and returned almost 100 yds

OSU maybe?

Reactions: socaldave
I think one of the reasons that Minny had a high drop rate is that Kaliakmanis has no touch on his throws, at least in the games that I saw. He throws fastballs even when the receiver is only 5 - 10 yards away. He'll need to improve on his touch.

Could be. We do know Gavin can’t make those throws since we’ve watched him play the last 2+ years.

Reactions: Eagleton96
Yes, I was aware of our drop rate as well. I made the initial point because someone mentioned that there wasn’t much difference between the completion percentage for AK (53%) and Gavin (49%). I added some additional context. When adjusted for drop rate, it becomes 66% vs. 58%. 8 pts is a huge difference.
Should be noted that it was 53.1% vs 47.8%. At least according to ESPN. Looks like there was some fudging going on there by the original poster.

That said, even if we factor in drops, it's not like Kaliakmanis had good passing numbers. Better then Wimsatt, but not significantly better. And Wimsatt was a significantly better runner.

So on paper it looks like a very even matchup.

Last edited:
Reactions: satnom
Because he wasn’t guaranteed to start a bowl game? What? Minny paid a third string kid 30k and begged him to play. He was guaranteed to start for the bowl. Next year was the uncertainty which would be a given anywhere. I’m sure he left because he wanted to play in a different offensive scheme. He played for 3 OCs at Minny. Had a bond with KC and decided to come to RU. In terms of reasons to leave this one seems pretty straightforward and as far from a red flag as you can get. Kid had a better year in 2022. He wants to play for the guy who got more out of him. What’s wrong with that?
I think it's very fair to say he had a bond with KC, but saying he had a better frosh season looks like a stretch.

He did have a very promising final game in a win vs Wisconsin, the rest of the year was lacking.

I think it's very fair to say he had a bond with KC, but saying he had a better frosh season looks like a stretch.

He did have a very promising final game in a win vs Wisconsin, the rest of the year was lacking.

That’s not really true. He was thrown into the fire against PSU (after coming in cold for a few plays against a ranked Illini team). In those first 2 games he threw 3 picks and poor percentage numbers. But he progressively improved from that point forward, including going 7 for 9 in the bowl game. Only one pick the rest of that season vs. Iowa.

Before Tanner Morgan’s injury his only action was going 3 for 3 in mop up duty against Western Illinois. One thing is for sure - without question he’s consistently been much more accurate than Gavin has against overmatched cupcakes.

Last edited:
Competition and depth.

Shows team QB room is not held to different standard, and owes to team for QB room to get better.

Depending on how you look at it, fortunate that didn’t have injuries at QB this season. That’s rare esp nowadays. Have to plan for multiple QBs playing/stsrting. ESP with 9 league games adding the top PAC 12 schools and at improved VT.

May be partially why didn’t run Gavin that much.

Need pass catching threat at TE and improve WRs though I like the signing from Monmouth.

Reactions: satnom and Kbee3
It does if you know basic football (and most people here dont know what a passing tree is)
RU had no top 100 WRs - its top 5 WRs had 7 TDs combined (none good at contested balls)
Minnesota's Daniel Jackson had 8 TDs by himself
RU's top WR had 463 yds and 3 TDS - also career totals for 5 years.
The Muggles like to blame Wimsatt despite Schiano and Media telling everyone last summer that WR spot was a weakness and it was.

Monmouth transfer Dymere Miller is Jerry Rice compared to what RU had this year

You can’t have a top 100 receiver if you don’t have a qb that gets him the ball. You can’t have one without the other.

GO RU
Yeah don’t think so, incumbent is a funny word.
I trust my eyes 👀 in this case. I know a quarterback when I see one, been watching quarterbacks since 1969.
Also had the pleasure of coaching young Quarterbacks.
The transfer isn’t a world beater, however at least he is a QB
We now have a QB on the roster.
Hopefully GW does himself and the team a favor and moves to receiver. I have zero respect for your opinion, if you are defending Wimsatt, or arguing he can become one, You don’t know what you’re talking about.
Sorry.

Reactions: Shelby65
Haven't people been saying that about GW since day 1?

You can’t have a top 100 receiver if you don’t have a qb that gets him the ball. You can’t have one without the other.

The WRs are often ranked by yards in a game.
For good WRs those yards come on long passes and yards after the catch.
RU has minimal deep passing and not many yards after a catch.
RU's best WR (500 yds 3 TDs) often falls down after a catch or gets brought down quick.
These are the "little things" people often miss in RU passing

Falldown...

5kgbmXM.gif

Falldown....

OwMxlTy.gif

Falldown...

mDIh4fz.gif

No contested receptions or YACs from small/weak WRs

AWkjev8.gif

DEueNxC.gif

Last edited:
Yeah don’t think so, incumbent is a funny word.
I trust my eyes 👀 in this case. I know a quarterback when I see one, been watching quarterbacks since 1969.
Also had the pleasure of coaching young Quarterbacks.
The transfer isn’t a world beater, however at least he is a QB
We now have a QB on the roster.
Hopefully GW does himself and the team a favor and moves to receiver. I have zero respect for your opinion, if you are defending Wimsatt, or arguing he can become one, You don’t know what you’re talking about.
Sorry.
GW to WR? Can’t take your post seriously with that one.

Agreed I was really high on Gavin. But the kid didn’t progress and no one in the planet could argue that he wasn’t given ample opportunity

This. Athan might not be better but at least in his case you can look at his progression under Kirk in 2022 and have something to be excited about. It’s very possible the system the OC that stepped in implemented did not maximize his skill set. Gavin has never once had a complete game like what Athan did against Wisconsin.

This. Athan might not be better but at least in his case you can look at his progression under Kirk in 2022 and have something to be excited about. It’s very possible the system the OC that stepped in implemented did not maximize his skill set. Gavin has never once had a complete game like what Athan did against Wisconsin.
Or, Minnesota was 9-4 in 2022 vs 6-7 in 2023. He just played on a better team with better supporting cast.

All this arguing over nothing. We now have an experienced backup QB but we don’t know who he is. Have confidence in the coaches that they will make the right decisions. Support the decision. We have two easy out of conference games where they can play both and see who‘s the best.

All this arguing over nothing. We now have an experienced backup QB but we don’t know who he is. Have confidence in the coaches that they will make the right decisions. Support the decision. We have two easy out of conference games where they can play both and see who‘s the best.

I’m not sure we’re arguing. It’s the offseason — it gives us something to talk about. But, yes, let’s hope that this can be decided on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT