ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Rutgers Football lands Minnesota QB Athan Kaliakmanis and WR Dino Kaliakmanis

So, does he transfer out if he is not the starter after spring ball?
In todays world, I would.
I hate the portal but you need to look at it as business. No different than grads do in the real world. Anyone who watched bowl season heard story after story of kids who started P5, transferred down, either got healthy, fixed their issues or found a better system and transferred back up. We can’t wait for him to develop and he can’t develop holding a clip board.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
In todays world, I would.
I hate the portal but you need to look at it as business. No different than grads do in the real world. Anyone who watched bowl season heard story after story of kids who started P5, transferred down, either got healthy, fixed their issues or found a better system and transferred back up. We can’t wait for him to develop and he can’t develop holding a clip board.
if Gav were smart, he'd start looking into g5 schools right now

Reactions: socaldave
Here’s his 22-23 highlights, when Kirk was there .. looks like a scrambler, fast, and throws darts over the middle - everything Wimsatt was supposed to be:

Have not seen GW run or make throws like this on any occasion including the touchdown run he had, never seen him break a tackle or move piles like in this reel. Never seen him make throws like that or ever heard a commentator say he is opening up the vertical passing game for his team like this reel.
The Wimsatt era is thankfully and mercifully come to an end. Nice Kid and not a QB.

Wow, that would surprise me, but I don't know anything about this Minnesota fellow.

I'm very curious about Rutgers Al's comments...

Gavin is ranked 100th for the season and the Greek is 93rd.
He had (with a top 100 WR) 14 TDs and 9 INTs - 74 yds rushing and 2 TDs (no dual threat).
16 TDs and 9 INTs vs 25 TDs and 8 INTs and 423 yd more rush yds.
RU isn't LSU picking-up Joe Burrow.
My guess is he's a replacement for Simon's voided spot

if Gav were smart, he'd start looking into g5 schools right now
Gavin might just beat out Kaliakmanis, but he will have to improve a lot.
Athan probably left the Gophers because Max Brosmer from New Hampshire ( led the FCS with 3,459 passing yards with 29 touchdowns) was looking at the program to transferred in and a talented High School player committed there Drake Lindsey from Fayetteville, Arkansas
2023 Stats: 273-of-392 (69.6%), 3,916 yards, 52 touchdowns, 4 Interceptions; 49 carries, 64 yards
Career Stats: 543-of-800 (67.9%), 7,636 yards, 90 touchdowns, 7 interceptions; 72 carries, -5 yards
Minnesota 2024 Early Enrollee Profile: QB Drake Lindsey
https://minnesota.rivals.com/news/minnesota-2024-early-enrollee-profile-qb-drake-lindsey

I don't think Wimsatt proved he's a good one, but won't pin my hopes on Kaliakmanis being better.
I always question why starters transfers out , if to a program that has a better shot for playoffs I can understand why.
Rutgers is improving but can't be considered much better than Minnesota right now.
So I feel Athan thinks he has a better shot to start at Rutgers then if he remained a Gopher and that worries me about either Gavin or Athan taking the QB starter's job

I really don't see a reason that Gavin should leave .
College Football Offense Passing Big Ten Stat Leaders, 2023 Season - ESPN
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player/_/group/5

He should ramp up quickly because he knows KC's system. It will be very interesting. Do you think next year RU will have dual quarterbacks like we did in the past?

Have not seen GW run or make throws like this on any occasion including the touchdown run he had, never seen him break a tackle or move piles like in this reel. Never seen him make throws like that or ever heard a commentator say he is opening up the vertical passing game for his team like this reel.
The Wimsatt era is thankfully and mercifully come to an end. Nice Kid and not a QB.
Should give Gavin a chance at WR.. could be a good player at a position we need depth.

Gavin is ranked 100th for the season and the Greek is 93rd.
He had (with a top 100 WR) 14 TDs and 9 INTs - 74 yds rushing and 2 TDs (no dual threat).
16 TDs and 9 INTs vs 25 TDs and 8 INTs and 423 yd more rush yds.
RU isn't LSU picking-up Joe Burrow.
My guess is he's a replacement for Simon's voided spot

It's probably overly obvious, but seems like I have to say it anyway, that the QB stats and WR stats go together, so pointing a QB had a top 100 WR (to try to diminish the credit he gets) doesn't really make sense.

He should ramp up quickly because he knows KC's system. It will be very interesting. Do you think next year RU will have dual quarterbacks like we did in the past?
I don't think so.
But I feel Gavin and Athan will go into spring practice as co:starters and by the end of it a starter will emerge.
With Dino Kaliakmanis coming with his brother , I'm sure that Athan was promised he's not be behind Wimsatt going into spring practice and be considered Gavin's equal.
Bringing in Dino sealed the deal .

We don't have the NIL $'s for a high profile QB sorry. Need many more donors and much larger checks! Just a fact of life now.
Agree, if we can just grab a good TE and D Lineman from the portal, I would be very happy.

You assume all those balls are caught. AK also played a softer schedule. Its a closer battle than people think.
When you complete 47% and 42% of your passes against Temple and Indiana the theory of competition being the problem goes out the window.

Comparing stats in NCAA doesn’t necessarily work because there’s much less parity than in pro sports. No way we can say which QB is better when they’ve both performed poorly. It’ll get sorted out in camp.

Being devils advocate, suppose Kaliakmanis wins the job with a higher completion rate but then throws interceptions leading to lost games. Do we stick with him?

It's probably overly obvious, but seems like I have to say it anyway, that the QB stats and WR stats go together, so pointing a QB had a top 100 WR (to try to diminish the credit he gets) doesn't really make sense.

It does if you know basic football (and most people here dont know what a passing tree is)
RU had no top 100 WRs - its top 5 WRs had 7 TDs combined (none good at contested balls)
Minnesota's Daniel Jackson had 8 TDs by himself
RU's top WR had 463 yds and 3 TDS - also career totals for 5 years.
The Muggles like to blame Wimsatt despite Schiano and Media telling everyone last summer that WR spot was a weakness and it was.

Monmouth transfer Dymere Miller is Jerry Rice compared to what RU had this year

Watching games, I do like Kaliakmanis. Schiano will have some hard decisions to make for sure.

Minnesota had a 14% drop rate — second worst in country. AK’s adjusted completion percentage is actually 66%
Athan may throw knuckleballs….or maybe too much spin? Too much spin makes for a difficult catch (the new gloves have made it much easier though).

This can only help with a heated competition, as many people pointed out with their opinions GS was waiting till after the Bowl game to avoid any distractions, from watching GS for so Many years he has become very predictable in his actions , but I think the Offensive coordinator pushed for this to happen .
KC did coach Kaliakmanis at Minnesota, so I believe you're right.
Kirk might feel Gavin isn't improving fast enough and Athan might give RU a better chance to win in 2024

Athan may throw knuckleballs….or maybe too much spin? Too much spin makes for a difficult catch (the new gloves have made it much easier though).

It’s a fair point. I’d also point out that Gavin had a worst completion percentage and he throws a beautiful ball (but about half of them our WR can’t reach).

I think Gavin should start given he has a higher ceiling but its a good thing to have a reliable backup that knows the system in Athan

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
Oh Lord I hope not. Nightmares of the Jabu Lovelace era will come back...

I think Gavin should start given he has a higher ceiling but its a good thing to have a reliable backup that knows the system in Athan
Ask yourself this question

If the staff was sold on Gavin why would they go out and get a QB that our OC previously recruited?

Think

Reactions: newell138
Because the other two backups have a combined 10 snaps of experience. Competition is good too.
We were always getting another QB. There was no way Greg was ever going into the season with only frosh who had never taken any meaningful snaps behind him. He’s the least risk averse coach on the planet. That’s why Shelby’s theory was always ridiculous. It couldn’t be right. There was no reason to announce a transfer QB addition until after the bowl game. That was the hold up. Period.

I googled Rutgers receivers drop rate and found this:
"Wimsatt's receivers dropped 9.7% of his on-target passes,"
also found that Minnesota was ranked 123 in passing offense
Rutgers # 124
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25/p3

Yes, I was aware of our drop rate as well. I made the initial point because someone mentioned that there wasn’t much difference between the completion percentage for AK (53%) and Gavin (49%). I added some additional context. When adjusted for drop rate, it becomes 66% vs. 58%. 8 pts is a huge difference.

Good thing GW didn’t throw any pick sixes in big games this season…

He also only lost 2 fumbles - same for Kaliakmanis.
These guys aren't massively different.
Kaliak has slightly better accuracy and Gavin is tied for 6th for QB rushing TDs (11).
Gavin is actually pretty good at rushing for scores - he gets right in there without fumbling.

Reactions: rutgersfan1766
He also only lost 2 fumbles - same for Kaliakmanis.
These guys aren't massively different.
Kaliak has slightly better accuracy and Gavin is tied for 6th for QB rushing TDs (11).
Gavin is actually pretty good at rushing for scores - he gets right in there without fumbling.
I'll say it. QB by committee? The Kaliakpackage and the Wimsituational.

• Haha
Reactions: patk89 and MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT