ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Rutgers Football lands Minnesota QB Athan Kaliakmanis and WR Dino Kaliakmanis

Two thoughts

1. This had to be a package deal as I don't see Dino as an upgrade over what RU has coming back.

2. Sheppard barely mentioned. Not sure what he showed in practice last year, but he seems like the forgotten man here. Not sure there would be a big demand if he entered the portal, but I wouldn't be surprised if he took that path,
he should seek other opportunities imho

shocked he hasn't gotten any time yet as we now know Simon was saving his time.

Appreciate you taking ownership. Sometimes it’s best to just sit back and pay attention to who is saying what. Or in the mods case who stopped commenting on the process. Now you should put the “real competition” stuff to bed. He is QB1 regardless of what anyone’s uncle wants to believe.
Nice job on this one. When I first read your comments in the other thread re silent commit, they made a lot of sense. I also believe he's the #1, but that's just my belief. Have you heard anything or simply putting the tea leaves together?

Reactions: patk89

Wish we could have gotten a more high profile QB, but at least we have some competition going into next season.

Ok enough of the foolish back & forth & onto a serious question about our new QB...

Am I the only one that reads the name Athan Kaliakmanis to the sound of Mele Kalikimaka from Christmas Vacation?

VKJ trounces the lil fool Shelby. Shelby mad. Shelby wanted RU to lose to Miami. Shelby is an idiot.
Ha ha. Sounds like Shelby lives rent free in your head just like he does in Colbert’s conspiratorial noggin.

We don't have the NIL $'s for a high profile QB sorry. Need many more donors and much larger checks! Just a fact of life now.
We have plenty of NIL for a top QB but it was spread around the defense and JM instead apparently.

Ok enough of the foolish back & forth & onto a serious question about our new QB...

Am I the only one that reads the name Athan Kaliakmanis to the sound of Mele Kalikimaka from Christmas Vacation?

the hangover alan GIF

I go this way ….Zack galifinakis

Nice job on this one. When I first read your comments in the other thread re silent commit, they made a lot of sense. I also believe he's the #1, but that's just my belief. Have you heard anything or simply putting the tea leaves together?
It’s not like I has coffee with our OC but it seem pretty obvious from not just tea leaves but chatter I’ve heard. Would you come if your weren’t QB1? Would you not visit anywhere else?

It’s not like I has coffee with our OC but it seem pretty obvious from not just tea leaves but chatter I’ve heard. Would you come if your weren’t QB1? Would you not visit anywhere else?
Just to devil's advocate here...
Maybe no one wanted him.
If he is similar to GW...would you want him as a transfer QB?
I think he only had one option and one option only...his old OC from Minn.
Hey, but, I'm all for competition and the best chance for us to win

Reactions: Shelby65
Sure someone might come to be a backup. Some portal guys do indeed do transfer to be backups. Announcers even talked about that during the Sugar Bowl game last night re: portal transfers. IIRC they were discussing either Ewers and Manning possibly exploring other high-end football school options

Meh. Good news for Gavin as I just don't see this new guy winning the job. He just doesn't sound like that big of an improvement over Gavin and if the competition is close it will go to Gavin.

Here’s his 22-23 highlights, when Kirk was there .. looks like a scrambler, fast, and throws darts over the middle - everything Wimsatt was supposed to be:

The one thing that stands out a lot for me is the TE is a big part of the passing game at Minnesota when Kirk was there , we can only pray that we can incorporate a similar game plan, hopefully someone steps up as a multi dimensional -TE.

Now we have depth, hope the OC let’s the QB pull the ball on RPOs.

Minnesota had a 14% drop rate — second worst in country. AK’s adjusted completion percentage is actually 66%

Adjusted completion % sounds like a statistic only an agent would use to make their client sound better.

Mike McMahon was an RU QB who started and played in the NFL despite having a 49.5% completion ratio in college.

He was an excellent athlete on a crappy team.

But he also threw the ball 100 mph to everyone regardless of whether they were coming out of the backfield or not. Which was sort of a big deal because we were trying to run a west coast offense which was a lot of short, “high percentage” throws.

It was painful after having watched Ray Lucas who had a career 56.8% completion percentage in an offense that wasn’t even designed for that.

The WRs were easy scapegoats. Balls literally bounced off their hands, chest and helmets with shocking frequency.

But even LJ Smith who played for several years in the NFL had a hard time catching his throws.

It became even more apparent that it wasn’t as simple as thinking Div1 WRs and RBs all of a sudden forgot how to catch a football when Ryan Hart arrived and had a 60.6% completion rate over the course of his career.

Miraculously, his receivers - who also weren’t NFL caliber- caught almost every ball he threw.

It was obvious from almost his first game why:

He had really good timing and threw a “catchable” ball. He had to- because he had a weak arm by comparison.

The point is you can’t just look at statistics and manipulate them to whatever you want. You are your record and it’s a team sport. Part of the QBs job is to throw a catchable ball.

Gavin needs a ton of work in this area as well. At times he doesn’t seem to realize the pace with which to throw the ball or seems to struggle throwing the simplest/shortest passes which are almost all touch.

However, he also displays an ability to make throws across the whole field we haven’t seen anyone make here other than Savage or Teel.

I feel like this is to be expected of a young QB and hope this will be part of his development.

I am happy to have the new guy and hope for his and our sake the Minnesota receivers are terrible. But I’d prefer a real analysis, not just a datapoint.

It goes without question our receivers and QB play needs to continue to improve and I think 60% completion is a realistic goal for this scheme.

Adjusted completion % sounds like a statistic only an agent would use to make their client sound better.

Mike McMahon was an RU QB who started and played in the NFL despite having a 49.5% completion ratio in college.

But he also threw the ball 100 mph to everyone regardless of whether they were coming out of the backfield or not. Which was sort of a big deal because we were trying to run a west coast offense which was a lot of short, “high percentage” throws.

It was painful after having watched Ray Lucas who had a career 56.8% completion percentage in an offense that wasn’t even designed for that.

The WRs were easy scapegoats. Balls literally bounced off their hands, chest and helmets with shocking frequency.

But even LJ Smith who played for several years in the NFL had a hard time catching his throws.

It became even more apparent that it wasn’t as simple as thinking Div1 WRs and RBs all of a sudden forgot how to catch a football when Ryan Hart arrived and had a 60.6% completion rate over the course of his career.

Miraculously, his receivers - who also weren’t NFL caliber- caught almost every ball he threw.

He had really good timing and threw a “catchable” ball. He had to- because he had a weak arm by comparison.

The point is you can’t just look at statistics and manipulate them to whatever you want. You are your record and it’s a team sport. Part of the QBs job is to throw a catchable ball.

Gavin needs a ton of work in this area as well. At times he doesn’t seem to realize the pace with which to throw the ball or seems to struggle throwing the simplest/shortest passes which are almost all touch.

However, he also displays an ability to make throws across the whole field we haven’t seen anyone make here other than Savage or Teel.

I feel like this is to be expected of a young QB and hope this will be part of his development.

I am happy to have the new guy and hope for his and our sake the Minnesota receivers are terrible. But I’d prefer a real analysis, not just a datapoint.

It goes without question our receivers and QB play needs to continue to improve and I think 60% completion is a realistic goal for this scheme.
when does the "young QB" excuse expire ?

I agree that you can't manipulate stats, but drop rate is an independent statistic. Now, you can choose to ignore it, and that's fine, but that's the actual number.

Just to devil's advocate here...
Maybe no one wanted him.
If he is similar to GW...would you want him as a transfer QB?
I think he only had one option and one option only...his old OC from Minn.
Hey, but, I'm all for competition and the best chance for us to win
Definitely not the case to anyone who watched the film. And Gavin would have other opportunities as well.

Sure someone might come to be a backup. Some portal guys do indeed do transfer to be backups. Announcers even talked about that during the Sugar Bowl game last night re: portal transfers. IIRC they were discussing either Ewers and Manning possibly exploring other high-end football school options
He’s not coming here to be the backup. Period

Reactions: patk89
Again
KTR is specifically set up for player retention which is where those funds were spent
We can afford a QB. If schiano zeroed in a realistic guy l, who had a price tag of a few hundred k and couldn’t get it done, I’d have some big concerns.

Shelby could not have been more wrong, and he is very happy to have to admit that. Now let's see a real QB competition. Shelby is skeptical.

Credit to vkj for the 'silent verbal' prognostication. Shelby doesn't see a reason for the secrecy, but it doesn't matter anymore
Eagleton96 thinks it's weird that you talk about yourself in the third person, but he gives you credit for owning up to your wrongness on this topic. Good job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT