ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Football Memorabilia Exhibit Now At Alexander Library Main Campus

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Just for your information, the Alexander Library on College Avenue at Rutgers has a Rutgers football memorabilia showcase focused heavily (but not exclusively) on the start of intercollegiate football and Rutgers football-related memorabilia over the years with background information on each item.

There are coins and medals honoring the 1969 Centennial of Football, in addition to odds and ends like a 1966 lighter with see-thru Rutgers Scarlet Knight rider in the fluid chamber.... 1950s Scarlet Knight on a key ring, helmets, Rutgers Chanticleer porcelain figurine, photos, Rutgers-Princeton goal post piece, 110 year old leather school inserts from tin tobacco boxes, 2014 Rutgers B1G challenge coin; the 1969 Friberg print paintings including the first game; the Herb Mott 1st game drawing, others.

The exhibit is located just outside the doors of the Special Collection area. Enter the main building, and turn left into the large Reading Room. You will then see steps that lead down and directly into the exhibit room. No charge, no one to check in with. Everything is in glass cases.

Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 9 am-5 pm; Fri. 9 am-1 pm; Sat. 1 pm-5 pm during the academic year

Call up this thread and leave your impressions if you stop on by. Enjoy.

Just for your information, the Alexander Library on College Avenue at Rutgers has a Rutgers football memorabilia showcase focused heavily (but not exclusively) on the start of intercollegiate football and Rutgers football-related memorabilia over the years with background information on each item.

There are coins and medals honoring the 1969 Centennial of Football, in addition to odds and ends like a 1966 lighter with see-thru Rutgers Scarlet Knight rider in the fluid chamber.... 1950s Scarlet Knight on a key ring, helmets, Rutgers Chanticleer porcelain figurine, photos, Rutgers-Princeton goal post piece, 110 year old leather school inserts from tin tobacco boxes, 2014 Rutgers B1G challenge coin; the 1969 Friberg print paintings including the first game; the Herb Mott 1st game drawing, others.

The exhibit is located just outside the doors of the Special Collection area. Enter the main building, and turn left into the large Reading Room. You will then see steps that lead down and directly into the exhibit room. No charge, no one to check in with. Everything is in glass cases.

Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 9 am-5 pm; Fri. 9 am-1 pm; Sat. 1 pm-5 pm during the academic year

Cool. Hopefully they can move some of the items to the hale center permanently

When I was a kid I had the 1969 Centennial t-shirt. Sadly, it didn't survive.

We should also thank Source who's being too modest to say he's a major contributor to the exhibit. I had the pleasure to be shown several of the items a few weeks ago. Good job Buddy!

Thanks knightfan7 and everyone else. Greatly appreciated. But there are other items I had never seen before like that ceramic Rutgers Chanticleer and equipment from long ago. It wasn't a case of not having enough items. It was a case of not having enough space.

The late Jim Handford donated some of the items that are being used in the exhibit. You might remember reading the following about him the month following the 2006 Rutgers-Louisville game:

A December 28, 2006 Star Ledger article carried the tale of long time fan James Handford from the Class of 1949, “…Because he wants to sit with certain friends, Handford has offered his season tickets to his physician, Alan Klein. That night, the wildest of impossible dreams came to life for Handford and all the other oldest of the old guarders. Looking down from the press box or the upper deck you are looking into a 44,000-human being sea of red. There has never been as much noise and as much pure drama at this stadium. Rutgers wins and the red sweaters fill the stadium floor and beyond. It is an incredible sight…. Afterward, Handford and his wife move through the humanity that floods the parking lots. He is looking for Dr. Klein. ‘Thank God I found you.’ ‘Are you all right?’ the doctor asks. ‘Of course, I am. I just needed to thank you for keeping me alive so I could live long enough to see this.’"
louisville-rutgers-football-40db71202ce2c749.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks Source. Wish I could see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT