ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Football Trivia Time! Rutgers and Morgan State

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Morgan State, Howard and Norfolk State are the only historically black colleges Rutgers has played in its football lifetime and Morgan State was the first. Back in 1971 and 1972, the two schools agreed to play for charities given to Newark, New Brunswick and Piscataway for community sponsored recreation programs. The two games were known as the ........?

Morgan State, Howard and Norfolk State are the only historically black colleges Rutgers has played in its football lifetime and Morgan State was the first. Back in 1971 and 1972, the two schools agreed to play for charities given to Newark, New Brunswick and Piscataway for community sponsored recreation programs. The two games were known as the ........?

Urban Classic

Very good!

Rutgers won at home 27-8 on November 27, 1971 and “Community sponsored recreation programs in Newark, New Brunswick and Piscataway have received $28,000 from receipts of the Urban Classic,” according to the March 5, 1972 New York Times.

The November 23, 1971 Targum reported, “… One of the prime movers behind the (Urban Classic) game is NBC football analyst and Prudential Insurance Company V.P. in charge of community affairs Al DeRogatis… He got together with local sports writer Jerry Izenberg and concluded an agreement with Rutgers and Morgan State.” Izenberg has written on sports for over half a century and continuously for New Jersey’s Star-Ledger since 1962. He was a 1952 graduate of Rutgers-Newark and editor and chief of its paper – the Observer. He is in the Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni.

Another trivia question, what is the name of the player who transferred to Morgan State but is known for the "Hair Tackled" guy at Rutgers?

Another trivia question, what is the name of the player who transferred to Morgan State but is known for the "Hair Tackled" guy at Rutgers?
For some reason, I am seeing the letter "J".. but just cannot pull out the name from my "cloud" data backup.

Okay.. I looked it up and got the video.. won't ruin it for someone else.

Jourdan Brooks!

Nice kid. I spoke with him at the Birmingham airport after our Papa John's win over NC State. He didn't take the team plane back to NJ. He took a direct flight with family members to Baltimore.

Reactions: Extra Point
Believe it was the first Urban Classic game that we returned the opening KO for a TD. Think it was Jim Sweeney.
I mentioned something about that game in the poetry thread of this week's game.

Believe it was the first Urban Classic game that we returned the opening KO for a TD. Think it was Jim Sweeney. I mentioned something about that game in the poetry thread of this week's game.

The second Urban Classic was played on November 18, 1972. Tom Sweeney received the opening kickoff and ran 97 yards for a Rutgers touchdown. It was a yard shy of the record held by Harold Connors against Maryland in 1942. Rutgers beat Morgan State 37-14 in the final Urban Classic.

The November 22, 1971 Targum reported that Urban Classic Weekend would continue after the Rutgers-Morgan State game with a concert at the College Avenue Gym, “The Parliament-Funkadelic show has a reputation as being raunchy or obscene in the manner of Mick Jagger. George Clinton, the lead singer of the Parliaments, has been known to jump into an audience, with his Indain headress streaming after him, and emerge wearing nothing more than a scarlet jockstrap.”

The latest installment of George Clinton and Parliment-Funkadelic has them performing in Rhode Island on September 22, 2017.

Reactions: RUsince52
Urban Classic

Very good!

Rutgers won at home 27-8 on November 27, 1971 and “Community sponsored recreation programs in Newark, New Brunswick and Piscataway have received $28,000 from receipts of the Urban Classic,” according to the March 5, 1972 New York Times.

The November 23, 1971 Targum reported, “… One of the prime movers behind the (Urban Classic) game is NBC football analyst and Prudential Insurance Company V.P. in charge of community affairs Al DeRogatis… He got together with local sports writer Jerry Izenberg and concluded an agreement with Rutgers and Morgan State.” Izenberg has written on sports for over half a century and continuously for New Jersey’s Star-Ledger since 1962. He was a 1952 graduate of Rutgers-Newark and editor and chief of its paper – the Observer. He is in the Rutgers Hall of Distinguished Alumni.
It evolved into something else later on.

Anybody remember the name? And where there were played?

I trademarked the name "Paul Robeson Classic" for these more recent additions. ;)

It evolved into something else later on. Anybody remember the name? And where there were played? I trademarked the name "Paul Robeson Classic" for these more recent additions. ;)

Ya got me e5fdny!

I forgot .. and most, unfortunately, would too .. that that was the Mike Teel 700 TD game. What a great game that was (and how good was it to play against a Steve Kragthorpe team).

The second Urban Classic was played on November 18, 1972. Tom Sweeney received the opening kickoff and ran 97 yards for a Rutgers touchdown. It was a yard shy of the record held by Harold Connors against Maryland in 1942. Rutgers beat Morgan State 37-14 in the final Urban Classic.

The November 22, 1971 Targum reported that Urban Classic Weekend would continue after the Rutgers-Morgan State game with a concert at the College Avenue Gym, “The Parliament-Funkadelic show has a reputation as being raunchy or obscene in the manner of Mick Jagger. George Clinton, the lead singer of the Parliaments, has been known to jump into an audience, with his Indain headress streaming after him, and emerge wearing nothing more than a scarlet jockstrap.”

The latest installment of George Clinton and Parliment-Funkadelic has them performing in Rhode Island on September 22, 2017.
Thanks Source for setting the record straight. In this case, doesn't seem like yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT