ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Football Trivia Time

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Eric Young made the Rutgers Football Hall of Fame in 2001 as a receiver from 1985-88. The local New Brunswick native made nine catches in a 38-24 Homecoming victory against Boston College on October 17, 1987. But it was his spring sport that made him the Rutgers player with the longest Major League Baseball career ever. Young was in the majors for 15 seasons with seven teams starting in 1992 and retired after 2006 in 43rd place on the all-time stolen base list with 465. He led the National League with 53 steals in 1996. After working for ESPN-TV, he became the first base coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2011 and the Colorado Rockies in 2014 through 2016 before joining the Atlanta Braves in 2018. In 2021, he was awarded a World Series ring when the Braves defeated the Astros four games to two. As an original Rockies player, he homered in the franchise’s first home at bat on April 9, 1993.

Before Eric Young, who was the last Rutgers football player to earn a World Series ring?

Answer late Friday (unless someone comes up with the correct answer).

Jeff Torborg came to mind first but I can’t find any evidence of him playing Football on the banks.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Was it Pirates GM Harding Peterson?
Hardy Peterson didn't win a Rutgers football letter.

Interesting piece of trivia on him though, "...noted for appearing in the historic last games played at both the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field in September of 1957. He was 2-for-5 with two runs batted in against the Giants at the Polo Grounds, twice driving home Roberto Clemente.

Answer coming about 4 or 5 o'clock.

Eric Young, Sr. is the first base coach for the Atlanta Braves, son Eric Jr. was just hired as the first base coach of the Washington Nationals.

"...Eric Young, Jr., 36, played in 10 seasons in the majors, between 2009-2018, before retiring a year later after playing the 2019 campaign in the Seattle Mariners' system. Young had seasons of 30, 38, and 46 stolen bases in his major league career, leading the NL in steals in that 46-steal season in 2013, and he comes to the Nats after coaching at Triple-A Tacoma in the Mariners’ organization in 2021."

Braves Coach Eric Young: NJ's Newest World Series Champion

Reactions: Mike from MD
I think I know the answer but only because I speak French. Don't know if there was a more recent player who did it after Walt. To be fair I only knew of Walt because of a Source post about 5 or 6 years ago about an ebay card.

EDIT: I just went back and searched for Source's post... it wasn't as long ago as I thought 😥 (man it feels like it though). Here is his card
220px-WalterFrenchGoudeycard.jpg

Last edited:
wisr01 - Droit sur l'argent!

Walter “Fitz” French is the only Rutgers player (1918, 1919) to play in the NFL and MLB and one of the first to do so in the same calendar year (1925).

He debuted at Cubs Park (aka Wrigley Field) on October 15 as a back with the 1922 NFL Rochester Jeffersons in a 7-0 loss to player-coach George Halas and the Chicago Bears. He later played on the 1925 NFL Pottsville Maroons. He was #11 on both teams.

But uniform numbers for the Philadelphia Athletics didn’t begin until the 1930s when he was an outfielder for Connie Mack in 1923 and 1925-1929 with a .303 lifetime batting average.

The A’s defeated the Cubs in five games to win the 1929 World Series. The last major league appearance French made was as a pinch hitter in the Series. He was card #177 in the 1933 Goudey Gum Company of Boston baseball card collection when he was playing for the Knoxville Smokies.

wisr01 - Droit sur l'argent!

Walter “Fitz” French is the only Rutgers player (1918, 1919) to play in the NFL and MLB and one of the first to do so in the same calendar year (1925).

He debuted at Cubs Park (aka Wrigley Field) on October 15 as a back with the 1922 NFL Rochester Jeffersons in a 7-0 loss to player-coach George Halas and the Chicago Bears. He later played on the 1925 NFL Pottsville Maroons. He was #11 on both teams.

But uniform numbers for the Philadelphia Athletics didn’t begin until the 1930s when he was an outfielder for Connie Mack in 1923 and 1925-1929 with a .303 lifetime batting average.

The A’s defeated the Cubs in five games to win the 1929 World Series. The last major league appearance French made was as a pinch hitter in the Series. He was card #177 in the 1933 Goudey Gum Company of Boston baseball card collection when he was playing for the Knoxville Smokies.
As I said the only reason I even know anything about Walter French is your informative post about his card on Ebay. Kudos to you my friend. BTW, I never even heard of Hardy Peterson...thanks for sharing another nugget.

Thanks to everyone. Your comments and participation are appreciated. Hope you were entertained.

I bought Walter French's baseball card out of the smallest series ever created. Baguer Chocolates of Cuba put out a 90 card series in 1930. The card is only 5/8th by 7/8th of an inch with his photo on the front and “Chocolate BAGUER, El mas popular” on the back. You can see it here.

Hardy Peterson didn't win a Rutgers football letter.

Interesting piece of trivia on him though, "...noted for appearing in the historic last games played at both the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field in September of 1957. He was 2-for-5 with two runs batted in against the Giants at the Polo Grounds, twice driving home Roberto Clemente.

His brother was our principal at our elementary school.

Forgot to mention that Walter French not only went on to serve in WWII, but eventually finished his military career as a Lt. Colonel in the Air Force.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT