ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Trivia

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
With spring training under way I ran across a good, but difficult, trivia question.
Ex MLB pitcher Jose DeLeon passed way recently. He was the first MLB pitcher in history to have at least 1500 strikeouts but have fewer than 100 wins.
Since then two others have accomplished this feat. Who were they?
Hints both pitchers were primarily NL hurlers with one having his most successful season (15 wins) during his time with the Mets and just retired last year (with another team). The other pitched half a season for the Yanks.
Both of them played during the last 20 years.

deGrom was the first name that came to mind based on the Mets hint. Will have to think on a second.

deGrom was the first name that came to mind based on the Mets hint. Will have to think on a second.
deGrom would be correct numbers wise but since he's still active he's not one of the answers.
Poor wording on my part.
These are pitchers who finished their career with 1500+ Ks and less then 100 wins.
Still looking for two guys.

With spring training under way I ran across a good, but difficult, trivia question.
Ex MLB pitcher Jose DeLeon passed way recently. He was the first MLB pitcher in history to have at least 1500 strikeouts but have fewer than 100 wins.
Since then two others have accomplished this feat. Who were they?
Hints both pitchers were primarily NL hurlers with one having his most successful season (15 wins) during his time with the Mets and just retired last year (with another team). The other pitched half a season for the Yanks.
Both of them played during the last 20 years.
I got hit with one the other day with respect to stolen bases and at bats.

I'll see if I can find it and post it

Damn it! Should have known...piled up a lot of Ks early, injuries hit then he became a closer. Still had a very solid career and he could swing the bat a bit too. I believe he hit a big homer when the Cubs upset the Braves in the 2003 playoffs.

Played many a game at short stop behind Jose.
Affirmation of his great stuff was a regular occurrence talking to opposing players on 2nd base.
I heard a lot of “this guy is nasty”
In 1983 I remember him taking at least a half dozen games into the 7th inning giving up only 2 or 3 hits

This is more of a rules question, but I find it interesting:

How is it possible to record four outs in an inning?

There are two ways. And I don't mean when a catcher misses the third strike. That's not a recorded out.

This is more of a rules question, but I find it interesting:

How is it possible to record four outs in an inning?

There are two ways. And I don't mean when a catcher misses the third strike. That's not a recorded out.
I think that it may have to do with an appeal play to take a run off the board?
Scenario:
Runners on first and second, two outs.
Batter hits a ball in the gap. Runner from second scores but misses third. The runner from first is out at the plate for the third out. However, the defense appeals at third for the first runner who had already scored. He is ruled out for missing the base (4th out) and the run is erased because he never legally scored.
I think that's it but not sure.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
I think that it may have to do with an appeal play to take a run off the board?
Scenario:
Runners on first and second, two outs.
Batter hits a ball in the gap. Runner from second scores but misses third. The runner from first is out at the plate for the third out. However, the defense appeals at third for the first runner who had already scored. He is ruled out for missing the base (4th out) and the run is erased because he never legally scored.
I think that's it but not sure.
Correct! The appeal play is one scenario where a fourth out is possible. I don't think this has ever happened in MLB, but it could.

There is another fourth out scenario which has happened on several occasions. It is a product of the video review era. Here is an example:

First and second, two outs. Batter hits a single. The lead runner is called out at home for the third out. The training runner, who had momentarily held at second to see if the throw would be cut off, is halfway between second and third when the out call is made. He downshifts and jogs toward third, on his way to the dugout.

But the catcher, taking nothing for granted, fires to third, who tags the incoming runner for an unofficial fourth out. Why? Because he knows that the call at the plate could be reversed on review.

Which is what happened. The third out at the plate was reversed and so the run counted. The unofficial fourth out became the official third out. The inning was now over, thanks to the catcher's quick thinking.

Reactions: colbert17
Moral of the story is replay and call reversals have made the 4th out relevant.
Yep. Gotta play it out. Even if a runner sees the third out recorded in front of him, he should keep going hard to the advancing base.

Similar to football, when you hear a whistle as the ball pops loose. Fall on the ball anyway. You never know.

Reactions: zappaa
Yep. Gotta play it out. Even if a runner sees the third out recorded in front of him, he should keep going hard to the advancing base.

Similar to football, when you hear a whistle as the ball pops loose. Fall on the ball anyway. You never know.
What would happen here Worm?
Runners on 2nd and 3rd two outs, base hit to the outfield guy from 3rd scores easily, man on 2nd gets thrown out attempting to score for the 3rd out.
Hitter with base hit advances to 2nd after ball goes to the plate, but misses 1st base.
Appeal calls him out.
Technically 4 outs and the run is nullified… even though the 3rd out already happened😊

Runners on 2nd and 3rd two outs, base hit to the outfield guy from 3rd scores easily, man on 2nd gets thrown out attempting to score for the 3rd out.
Hitter with base hit advances to 2nd after ball goes to the plate, but misses 1st base.
Appeal calls him out.
Technically 4 outs and the run is nullified… even though the 3rd out already happened😊
Sorry, wasn't paying attention.

I think your analysis is correct. An appeal at first would I think be a force play, meaning that no runs would count.

But I defer to the opinion of the guy who played over a decade in the Big League, given that I never got out of Little League.

Appeal calls him out.
Kind of a variation of the play that we've all seen.
All the Pirate first baseman has to do is tag the bag or the runner and nothing else matters. No runs score because the batter has not reached first base successfully on the force.

Batter never reached first successfully so the runs can't count
But that also nullifies a "fourth" out because that particular out never occurred. So if you are scoring, you "erase" the previous third out and replace it with that..... Yes/No?

Just an extra thought. Don't appeal plays chronologically occur AFTER the action on the field has taken place? So if that's how they get the third out, wouldn't any runner crossing the plate before the appeal takes place count?

I think the answer is no. But can anyone verify how the rule would apply? Perhaps there is a special interpretation because it occurred at first base.

But that also nullifies a "fourth" out because that particular out never occurred. So if you are scoring, you "erase" the previous third out and replace it with that..... Yes/No?

Just an extra thought. Don't appeal plays chronologically occur AFTER the action on the field has taken place? So if that's how they get the third out, wouldn't any runner crossing the plate before the appeal takes place count?

I think the answer is no. But can anyone verify how the rule would apply? Perhaps there is a special interpretation because it occurred at first base.
You're right. In the video I posted there is no fourth out situation.

CONFIRMED! If the appeal play is at first, no runs count. It is explained in the MLB Rule 5.08, with Comments:

Rule 5.08 Comment: APPROVED RULING: No run shall score during a play in which the third out is made by the batter-runner before he touches first base. Example: One out, Jones on second,Smith on first. The batter, Brown, hits safely. Jones scores.Smith is out on the throw to the plate. Two outs. But Brown missed first base. The ball is thrown to first, an appeal is made, and Brown is out. Three outs. Since Jones crossed the plate during a play in which the third out was made by the batter-runner before he touched first base, Jones’ run does not count.

CONFIRMED! If the appeal play is at first, no runs count. It is explained in the MLB Rule 5.08, with Comments:

Rule 5.08 Comment: APPROVED RULING: No run shall score during a play in which the third out is made by the batter-runner before he touches first base. Example: One out, Jones on second,Smith on first. The batter, Brown, hits safely. Jones scores.Smith is out on the throw to the plate. Two outs. But Brown missed first base. The ball is thrown to first, an appeal is made, and Brown is out. Three outs. Since Jones crossed the plate during a play in which the third out was made by the batter-runner before he touched first base, Jones’ run does not count.
Mr. Brown

Reservoir-Dogs-Like-A-Virgin-Moment-trata-sobre-el-propio.jpg

Smith and Jones

images

Love baseball trivia. Hope you find this a tough but fair Derek Jeter question:

An impressive thing about Jeter's high lifetime batting average is that it was over 11,000 at-bats. Only Ty Cobb (who last played 95 yrs ago) has both a higher BA and a higher number of at-bats.

Six players have at least 9,000 AB, a higher lifetime BA than Derek Jeter, and has played a game over the past 75 years. Who are they?

Cal Ripken
Rod Carew
Tony Gwynn
Kirby Puckett
Wade Boggs
Hank Aaron

Carew , Gwynn, and Boggs are 3 correct answers. Ripken and Mantle had lower averages. Puckett not enough AB's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT