ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Baseball Trivia

OK since we are focusing on Derek Jeter's batting average...

Jeter had a lifetime average of .310. Every modern day player who has qualified for the Hall of Fame (10+ years active, 5+ years retired), with a career batting average higher than Jeter's .310, is in the Hall of Fame.

Except for two.

Can you name them?

Jeter had a lifetime average of .310. Every modern day player who has qualified for the Hall of Fame (10+ years active, 5+ years retired), with a career batting average higher than Jeter's .310, is in the Hall of Fame.

Except for two.

Can you name them?
Manny and Shoeless Joe if he qualifies as a modern player

Except for two.

Can you name them?
Pete rose

Manny and Shoeless Joe if he qualifies as a modern player
Manny Ramirez is correct. He would have been a surefire HOF were it not for the PED's.

Shoeless Joe is technically correct (I guess he is "modern era"), but the player I was thinking of is far more recent.

Did Nomar hit higher than Jeter??
You da man! No-mah Gah-cia-pah-rah hit .313 lifetime. Barely got a sniff of HOF, was gone after two ballots. Much like David Wright, injuries denied him the necessary longevity. But there was a time when if you mentioned Jeter's name, you just naturally mentioned Nomar's alongside it.

And Nomar wasn't even the best athlete in his family.

Reactions: colbert17
Staying on this Batting Average theme:

As we all know, batting averages have plummeted over the years, with the emphasis now on OPS. But I was shocked to see that among currently active players (minimum 3,000 plate appearances) there are only three lifetime .300 hitters. ONLY THREE!

So... have at it!

You got two out of three. Altuve is the highest active player at .307. Trout is at .301.

The third is very gettable. Obviously none of these are obscure, they are all current stars.

Miggy Cabrera would have been a fourth at .307, had he not just retired.

From 1950 to 1993 (just before lockout year/steroids era), only one player averaged at least 1 RBI per his own games played in a single season. Who was it?

From 1950 to 1993 (just before lockout year/steroids era), only one player averaged at least 1 RBI per his own games played in a single season. Who was it?
A wild-assed guess - Johnny Bench? He has a ton of RBI, and catchers get more off days than most.

I have two guesses (if Bench is not correct)

Mike Schmidt in the strike shortened year.

George Brett in the year he missed a lot of games, and almost hit .400

Reactions: Mufasa94
Name the only two players in MLB history with more than 350 home runs and less then 415 strikeouts.
Actually, they are the only two with 350 HR’s and less than 500 strikeouts

Ok, Cliff...
Name the first player to have at least 100 hits from both sides of the plate in a single season.
Hint, soon after accomplishing the feat, he was swapped straight up for a player who played the same position and who went on to make the hall of fame, whereas the subject of the trivia did not.

Name the first player to have at least 100 hits from both sides of the plate in a single season.
Hint, soon after accomplishing the feat, he was swapped straight up for a player who played the same position and who went on to make the hall of fame, whereas the subject of the trivia did not.
Saw it happen from the dugout in Pittsburgh.
Gary Templeton

Saw it happen from the dugout in Pittsburgh.
Gary Templeton
Ok, that's pretty cool.

I met Ozzie at a function at Nike headquarters a few years back and I asked him that question - i left out the traded part, lol. He thought for a second or two and then got kinda excited and said "Oh, That was Gary!".

Who holds the record for most RBIs in a single inning with 8? (I haven't actually verified this but I find it hard to believe anyone has had more than 8 in an inning).

Name the only two players in MLB history with more than 350 home runs and less then 415 strikeouts.
Actually, they are the only two with 350 HR’s and less than 500 strikeouts

Not an answer to your question, but some of the strikeout numbers back in the day were wild — Joe Sewell and Nellie Fox would strike out a dozen times per year or something like that. Nickie Madrigal had a similar kind of profile when he was coming up a couple of years ago, but I don’t think contact is valued the same way today — to stick around he’ll probably have to accept a higher strikeout rate in exchange for some pop.

Doesn’t qualify for your question, but amazing that Stan Musial hit 475 homers and never had a single 50 strikeout season…most in the 20s or 30s

Who holds the record for most RBIs in a single inning with 8? (I haven't actually verified this but I find it hard to believe anyone has had more than 8 in an inning).
I know that Fernando Tatis Sr. hit two grand slams in one inning, so that would be eight. Talk about a record that will never be broken! It is almost inconceivable that anyone will ever have the chance to hit three slams in one inning, much less actually do it.

To make this incredible accomplishment even more incredible, Tatis hit both grand slams against the same pitcher. The Dodgers allowed Chan Ho Park to take his lumps that day.

Last edited:
What is the most hits a team can get in a single inning without scoring any runs?
You can get two triples, two doubles and a single w/o scoring. I'm sure there are other combinations. And isn't the RBI/game guy Manny Ramirez? My guess was Tommy Davis (not posted here) so I looked it up

Six. Three of the hits would be recorded by batted balls that struck runners.
I'm surprised that no runner has ever taken advantage of that rule by breaking up a no-hitter by allowing himself to be hit with a ground ball that would have resulted in an easy out. Of course, he'd have to make it look like an accident.

You can get two triples, two doubles and a single w/o scoring. I'm sure there are other combinations. And isn't the RBI/game guy Manny Ramirez? My guess was Tommy Davis (not posted here) so I looked it up
Manny did accomplish it, but he was a steroid era guy and outside the scope of the original question.

Reactions: wicker
I'm surprised that no runner has ever taken advantage of that rule by breaking up a no-hitter by allowing himself to be hit with a ground ball that would have resulted in an easy out. Of course, he'd have to make it look like an accident.
Or to be intentionally hit by a double play ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT