ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Hoops and the NIL

Donor, singular? Are you suggesting that all this basketball NIL success is because one donor decided to enter the NIL game in a very big way?
No inside info but I’d bet the house on Jeff Towers being heavily involved. I mean the guy spent how much to book Migos for a pool party? Just seems like a no nonsense type of guy that that would bypass TKR.

No inside info but I’d bet the house on Jeff Towers being heavily involved. I mean the guy spent how much to book Migos for a pool party? Just seems like a no nonsense type of guy that that would bypass TKR.
Bingo! Exiting but also sad in a way college sports has turned into this.

Reactions: RUforester72
I could be way off base but I would think NIL wouldn't be very high on the priority list for a one and done. They're looking at life changing money in a year; putting themselves in the best position to maximize that pay day is far more important than an extra 100k in NIL.
Lol wut.

They could tear both their ACLs and never play basketball again.

The going rate for a one and done player is $1 million a year.

Reactions: ldwnmas
ky is in a dream world ,as some on here are also about the numbers

Remember when so many said NIL would be the death of Rutgers athletics...
We were going to drop down to 1-AA compete with other schools focused on "amateur" athletics.....
There would be massive infighting on teams as 5* players got paid more than bench players......
Only the "blue bloods" would be able to compete for the best players....

All In The Family Singing GIF by Sony Pictures Television

He was the driving force getting Schiano hired (with tailwind from the misguided fan base), so you’d think he’d throw NIL toward football

I believe you buy an NFT that makes you a member and they use that money but I could be wrong / other aspects
We no longer offer memberships, we do events and brand deals for athletes. We have some set monthly payments from individual donors which helps us pay for events up front to make sure Rutgers fans enjoy the events we put on.

The brand deals is more “real nil” where we help companies become more noticed and relevant on social media through student athlete promo

Aren’t you the one that was saying NIL was going to kill Rutgers recruiting 🤣 so which one is it?
TBH, I don't care that much about basketball. I'm a fan of our bball program but it's about 4th in rankings of my fandom behind RU Football, NY Rangers and Jets. NIL killed football.

It's a lot cheaper to buy a basketball team, not a football team.

And yes, I didn't think we'd have one family step up with 7-figures a year to buy kids. Not mad about it but just didn't foresee it happening.

TBH, I don't care that much about basketball. It killed football.

And yes, I didn't think we'd have one family step up with 7-figures a year to buy kids. Not mad about it but just didn't foresee it happening.
TBH, I don't care that much about basketball. I'm a fan of our bball program but it's about 4th in rankings of my fandom behind RU Football, NY Rangers and Jets. NIL killed football.

Bad football killed football
No NIL, football was never getting elite
With NIL, there’s at least a fighting chance

Depends what you think the ball park is. Knights of raritan has already said they’re focused on retention and i run knight society and haven’t had one conversation with pikes about giving a recruit money 😂

If you look deep enough into each big recruit that are coming in the ‘24 class, each of them were already connected with one of the coaches from the staff. When you have good basketball minds on staff who have proven to do right by the people who are around them, good things happen.

Relationship building is bigger than NIL

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Lol yes. Yes it is. You think Ace could get over a million from another school which is the going rate for an elite 5 star stud, but he's going to Rutgers with 0 money offered?

You're living in a complete fantasy land
Why do you think the "going rate" is a million dollars?
It's not.
Where do you think that million would come from? An anonymous source?
That's a complete fantasy. A lot of people are enjoying that fantasy but it's a fantasy.

Geo posted what he posted and nobody cares.

Reactions: RUbbFannn
Why do you think the "going rate" is a million dollars?
It's not.
Where do you think that million would come from? An anonymous source?
That's a complete fantasy. A lot of people are enjoying that fantasy but it's a fantasy.

Geo posted what he posted and nobody cares.
The source has been mentioned in the thread

If you're a billionaire you don't need to donate to KTR or KS and can go directly to the recruit and their camp instead

The source has been mentioned in the thread

If you're a billionaire you don't need to donate to KTR or KS and can go directly to the recruit and their camp instead
Which sounds more realistic?
  1. There are a bunch of billionaires out there in a bidding war for basketball recruits - willing to pay a million dollars to guys like Ace Bailey
  2. Every single one of them demands to be anonymous
  3. Rutgers has one of them
OR
  1. NIL isn't as big as everyone is making it out to be, especially among HS recruits

Which sounds more realistic?
  1. There are a bunch of billionaires out there in a bidding war for basketball recruits - willing to pay a million dollars to guys like Ace Bailey
  2. Every single one of them demands to be anonymous
  3. Rutgers has one of them
OR
  1. NIL isn't as big as everyone is making it out to be, especially among HS recruits
The former

1. Top 5 star studs have been getting paid since forever. Why do you think it's not happening now in the NIL era?

2. When has it ever been announced who is paying recruits? Strange to expect it now

3. Yes. Yes we do

If NIL isn't as big as everyone thinks then why did so many piss and moan about it killing college athletics?

You do know who pays gift taxes. Even a billionaire, maybe even more, won't risk going to jail for not paying the IRS for " gifts" to atheletes that are in the millions.

Last edited:
Pike has also allowed mods to comment on what they see in practice. I really think Schiano’s bs practice gag order is affecting NIL.
And you could see the effect after Carino highlighted Reiber and Chol last fall. Ruined their effectiveness as teams focused on them 😉. So I get where Schiano is coming from.

You do know who pays gift taxes. Even a billionaire, maybe even more, won't risk going to jail for not paying the IRS for " gifts" to atheletes that are in the millions.
Gift tax returns are not public information. Also, NIL is income for the athlete and not subject to gift tax by the donor, thus no need to report it. You don't go to jail for failure to report/pay gift tax, there's just a hefty penalty.

Remember when so many said NIL would be the death of Rutgers athletics...
We were going to drop down to 1-AA compete with other schools focused on "amateur" athletics.....
There would be massive infighting on teams as 5* players got paid more than bench players......
Only the "blue bloods" would be able to compete for the best players....

All In The Family Singing GIF by Sony Pictures Television
I was definitely one of them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT