ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Hoops and the NIL

hinson32

All American
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
With the way our current recruiting is going I think it safe to say that our coach has figured out how to ensure money is not that big of an issue. Sure we have improved facilities and we are now a mostly regular NCAA team, but in an era where cash is more important than ever, RU having its best recruiting run in our history.

Football might still be NIL poor, but Pike has this figured out. I don't think he will lose many recruits just because of money.

Last edited:
With the way our current recruiting is going I think it safe to say that our coach has figured out how to ensure money is not that big of an issue. Sure we have improved facilities and we now a mostly regular NCAA team, but in an era where cash is more important than ever, RU having its best recruiting run in our history.

Football might still be NIL poor, but Pike has this figured out. I don't think he will lose many recruits just because of money.
I don’t know where the money is coming from, but it is clearly there

The difference is likely donors are willing to step up bc Pike has shown success
Winner Winner Win GIF by giphystudios2021

My thoughts were you don't have to be the highest bidder but you at least need to be in the ballpark

Would you say that's accurate? Or even less important than that?
Depends what you think the ball park is. Knights of raritan has already said they’re focused on retention and i run knight society and haven’t had one conversation with pikes about giving a recruit money 😂

If you look deep enough into each big recruit that are coming in the ‘24 class, each of them were already connected with one of the coaches from the staff. When you have good basketball minds on staff who have proven to do right by the people who are around them, good things happen.

giving these recruits $ 50000?? each vs the nonesense rumors of over $ million each makes more credible sense and more doable

Even if football had its share of NIL cash. Sought after recruits would still think long and hard about coming here

Reactions: Rutgers56
Depends what you think the ball park is. Knights of raritan has already said they’re focused on retention and i run knight society and haven’t had one conversation with pikes about giving a recruit money 😂

If you look deep enough into each big recruit that are coming in the ‘24 class, each of them were already connected with one of the coaches from the staff. When you have good basketball minds on staff who have proven to do right by the people who are around them, good things happen.
If the going rate for a one and done kid is $1 million, I doubt $25k gets the job done.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but I’m just speaking in general here.

So it’s not like oh this is the highest offer I’ve gotten so that’s where I’m going to go, but I still think you need to move the needle a bit.

My thoughts were you don't have to be the highest bidder but you at least need to be in the ballpark

Would you say that's accurate? Or even less important than that?
Like you said, be in the ballpark and they'll go with who they feel most comfortable. But no one's turning down a lot more money because they might like the other guy more.

Reactions: Scangg
If the going rate for a one and done kid is $1 million, I doubt $25k gets the job done.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but I’m just speaking in general here.

So it’s not like oh this is the highest offer I’ve gotten so that’s where I’m going to go, but I still think you need to move the needle a bit.
I could be way off base but I would think NIL wouldn't be very high on the priority list for a one and done. They're looking at life changing money in a year; putting themselves in the best position to maximize that pay day is far more important than an extra 100k in NIL.

The difference is likely donors are willing to step up bc Pike has shown success
Donor, singular. Its easy to buy an elite bball roster, only takes a couple mill/yr. Football takes about $15 mill/yr.

Reactions: colbert17

Stop lol. Its no coincidence that recruiting skyrocketed after it became legal to pay players.

giving these recruits $ 50000?? each vs the nonesense rumors of over $ million each makes more credible sense and more doable
I know for a fact that ace is getting 7-figures.

NIL is pretty cool honestly for billionaires who dont have the opportunity to buy professional sports franchises. You basically just throw pocket change at a program (couple mill) and then you get the same treatment as if you owned a team. All for just a couple mill/yr, which again would be like me and you paying $3,000/yr.

If youre a billionaire with just $1 billion, let alone 10, 100, 500, then you likely are making at minimum $50,000,000/yr right now even just parking your money in CD’s haha. So basically they make $1,000,000/week. Dumping $2,000,000/yr to play real life fantasy GM is awesome. And that’s 2 weeks pay. Aka just one paycheck equivalent for you

Reactions: rags
The fact that the game has passed Schiano by is a joke when you consider the guy is only in his 50s. That excuse would be more valid if he was in his 70s.
False. It’s not his age but his stubborn philosophy that dooms the program. So, yes, the game passed him by and his prehistoric philosophy is in CFB’s rear view mirror. I’m sure there are 80 year olds who could outcoach him
every Saturday

How do we donate to Knight Society which actually focuses on actually getting good players committed? Sounds like a bunch of boomers are running the other one.

• Haha
Reactions: wkbrdr3448
Pike has also allowed mods to comment on what they see in practice. I really think Schiano’s bs practice gag order is affecting NIL.
Schiano’s product on the field is what is effecting NIL. Even when mbb looses, you see the effort, heart and future potential. On the football field the offense has shown 0 improvement.

Reactions: RUDiddy777

What more can fans ask for. Exciting basketball, one of the classiest coaching staffs who treat every player like family, and does things the right way.

How do we donate to Knight Society which actually focuses on actually getting good players committed? Sounds like a bunch of boomers are running the other one.
I believe you buy an NFT that makes you a member and they use that money but I could be wrong / other aspects

It's hard to imagine that KTR and KS are offering no money and these kids are committing

Maybe big donors are in direct contact?

Reactions: koleszar
Donor, singular. Its easy to buy an elite bball roster, only takes a couple mill/yr. Football takes about $15 mill/yr.
Donor, singular? Are you suggesting that all this basketball NIL success is because one donor decided to enter the NIL game in a very big way?

Reactions: Scangg
Donor, singular? Are you suggesting that all this basketball NIL success is because one donor decided to enter the NIL game in a very big way?
I guess the question is if you're a huge donor do you need to go through KTR or KS? Or are you in direct contact with the recruit?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT