ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Hosting Long Beach State Transfer Jadon Jones

Um, yes please!!
As Fonseca described, he will be a 3 and D piece. At lower level 2/3 of his shots were from 3. I imagine here it would be 4/5.
Will probably shoot 36-42% from 3 for us.
Gets rebounds.
Was once defensive player of the year in his conference.
Low turnovers.
What is not to like for what we need?!

Pike can't rest until there is a Jaden/Jadon Jones on the roster.

The pattern is clear. We are going after guys that starred at the mid-major level. The higher end P5 portal transfers are out of our NIL budget. That said, I like everyone Pike has brought in and would be very happy with this young man as well. Get this done and then full focus can be on a center.

The pattern is clear. We are going after guys that starred at the mid-major level. The higher end P5 portal transfers are out of our NIL budget. That said, I like everyone Pike has brought in and would be very happy with this young man as well. Get this done and then full focus can be on a center.
Agreed. You can find plenty of great transfers from mid-major schools (Lance Jones, Dalton Knecht, Aaron Estrada, DJ Burns Jr., etc.)

I think it's a good strategy either way, regardless of the NIL budget. These guys seem to be willing to play specific roles and not count how many shots they will get each night.

Do you think we have a legit shot here? Obviously, you never know with the portal. According to Richie one of Derkack's other suitors thought he was locked up on a visit there.

Agreed. You can find plenty of great transfers from mid-major schools (Lance Jones, Dalton Knecht, Aaron Estrada, DJ Burns Jr., etc.)
Dumask is another example….not all transfers had to have played in the ACC, Big 12 or SEC previously. We added Hyatt as a transfer and he was an SEC guy, and turned out that he was pretty ordinary at best. Pike has assembled some nice additions thus far and Jones could be another one. We shall see.

I think it's a good strategy either way, regardless of the NIL budget. These guys seem to be willing to play specific roles and not count how many shots they will get each night.
I hope you are right because the "fit" is obviously critical. As we experienced again last year these guys need to enjoy their roles and playing together as a team.

It’s ok - that’s who we are - but you have to pick the right guys - we’ll see

I hope you are right because the "fit" is obviously critical. As we experienced again last year these guys need to enjoy their roles and playing together as a team.
I don't know if I'm right, but since it's the offseason, I'll take an optimistic view.

Not sure I totally agree. Lots of great players from lower levels starred in the final four this year. Lots high school stars couldn’t hack it at the P5 level.

crazy how Pike seems to be doing much better this year than last year in the portal.

granted I am sure some of it has to do with the prospect of playing with the incoming freshman

but I also wonder how much it has to do with the fact the Pike had TIME to get the pieces in place - wasnt informed of two late transfers-out AT THE 11TH HOUR like last year

Say we land him......

Are we having a 8 man rotation of everyone playing 20 minutes for the non center spots?
Would JaMike be out of the rotation
Did Dercack come to be a practce player?
Does Acuff go from 8th highest scorer to playing 15 minutes

Pike has gone from being too nice and not wanting to upset players by giving competition to throwing a bunch of guys in to a pit and seeing who the survivors are almost overnight.

Plus it would be only 1 spot for a center.

Say we land him......

Are we having a 8 man rotation of everyone playing 20 minutes for the non center spots?

Pike has gone from being too nice and not wanting to upset players by giving competition to throwing a bunch of guys in to a pit and seeing who the survivors are almost overnight.

Okay, then I prefer this to "nice."

crazy how Pike seems to be doing much better this year than last year in the portal.

granted I am sure some of it has to do with the prospect of playing with the incoming freshman

but I also wonder how much it has to do with the fact the Pike had TIME to get the pieces in place - wasnt informed of two late transfers-out AT THE 11TH HOUR like last year
the latter

Reactions: RUFan20231
Okay, then I prefer this to "nice."
I understand the landscape has done a 180 over the past few years.....I think being nice was part of the secret sauce.

Pike has definitely changed, but I think he had to in this new world.

That being said you could have a 13 man roster of 13 guys who are expecting to play Day 1 and only 9 or 10 are.

We all know Ace and Dylan are the NBA guys and most likely the others aren't.

I am not certain Day 1 that both of these guys aren't the best college basketball players on the roster in early December against Rider or Seton Hall.

This is definitely going to be a fascinating/interesting/enjoyable year!

I understand the landscape has done a 180 over the past few years.....I think being nice was part of the secret sauce.

That being said you could have a 13 man roster of 13 guys who are expecting to play Day 1 and only 9 or 10 are.
There are always disappointments where players don't live up to recruiting rankings, transfer expectations, young players making a "jump"

Derkack Acuff Jones... say 1 ends up a bust, 1 lives up to expectations, 1 exceeds. That would still be a great portal haul

With a roster this deep, we can withstand a couple of those disappointments and still be fine. Only need 8 or 9 guys in the end to be in the rotation. Let the cream rise to the top

You worry way too much. After last year, endlessly searching for some combination to work consistently, I'll take this problem.

There are always disappointments where players don't live up to recruiting rankings, transfer expectations, young players making a "jump"

Derkack Acuff Jones... say 1 ends up a bust, 1 lives up to expectations, 1 exceeds. That would still be a great portal haul

With a roster this deep, we can withstand a couple of those disappointments and still be fine. Only need 8 or 9 guys in the end to be in the rotation. Let the cream rise to the top
I think if Pike gave an honest answer, which he shouldn't, he would say exactly what you are saying.

On paper if this was fantasy baseball I'd trade Dylan for Cliff and leave the draft and be ready to go.

Its a trick
Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars

I had thought that we were done with guards/wings once Derkack committed, as that gave us 5 guards. So I'm a bit surprised that we're still looking for a guard/wing. There will be quite the logjam at the 1, 2, and 3 spots if we land Mr. Jones.

I had thought that we were done with guards/wings once Derkack committed, as that gave us 5 guards. So I'm a bit surprised that we're still looking for a guard/wing. There will be quite the logjam at the 1, 2, and 3 spots if we land Mr. Jones.
Has me thinking with the length of all of these guys that we could see 4 "guards" on the floor a lot.

If we land the hard working Jad_n Jones everyone on the roster needs to play hard or else there will always be someone ready to take their place.

If we aren't going to have returning players bringing the culture of playing hard, playing D, and winning 50/50 balls having PT minutes up in the air should work.

Say we land him......

We only need 1 spot for a center, we have Somerville and Ogbole. JMike would be behind all of the following, if these are our guards: Harper, JWill, Acuff, Derkack, Jadon Jones. He would be number 6 and behind those guards in the rotation. Not saying he won’t play at all, just saying he’ll be behind those guards if that does end up being the roster.

Has me thinking with the length of all of these guys that we could see 4 "guards" on the floor a lot.

If we land the hard working Jad_n Jones everyone on the roster needs to play hard or else there will always be someone ready to take their place.

If we aren't going to have returning players bringing the culture of playing hard, playing D, and winning 50/50 balls having PT minutes up in the air should work.
That's what I've been saying. Most of these guys play 1-4 somewhat interchangeably. There would be no room for a GG to get big minutes to develop on a team like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT