ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Hosting Long Beach State Transfer Jadon Jones

You are wrong. Almost no one in college basketball redshirts unless they are hurt.
I said play sparingly or redshirt I wasn’t married to one or the other

The fact that appearing in 1 game voids the ability to redshirt hurts that flexibility for programs anyway … they should adapt to football rules where you can appear in X% of games an still redshirt

I know that redshirting is rare these days, especially for a sophomore. But the fact is, J Mike would benefit from it. I don’t know anything about whether or not he insists on getting into games with his high school teammate the one year he is here – – for all I know, being on the team and practicing with him might be enough if he weighs the situation against the benefit he would have from redshirting to work on his shot, his body, etc. I got no idea if it’s under consideration, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it.

The stats tell me he’d probably be our best portal pickup and I hope he commits but damn that’s hideous shooting form. That would be hard for me to watch.

Play the best and be fair to the rest. Davis started last year because the staff felt that was best for our team. Let's face it, Noah and Austin Williams had, by and large, very disappointing seasons with a few bright spots here and there. If Harper, Acuff, and Derkack come in and push Davis down to 5th, or Jones pushes him to 6th, so be it. Guys will see practice and know who earns time and who doesn't. Be ready when your number is called regardless of your minutes/role, and support whoever is on the court when you are on the bench.

As I mentioned before I think it’s at least remotely possibly Davis takes a red shirt to develop to be a starter next year or took a larger role as an upperclassmen possibly alongside Dercack and the returning guys from this freshmen class

This is a good problem to have in my opinion. Everyone’s worried about who’s going to get minutes … when have we had a conversation about Rutgers basketball and worrying who’s going to get enough PT?

Martini and Dercack imo seem 100% invested in winning and filling whatever role that equals.

Based on roster construction it’s looking more to me like you’re going to see a lot of 4 out offense and speed and probably a combo of ace/martini at your 4 spot for those 40 minutes

Martini probably gets 15 min a game at the 4 and ace will get his 30 minutes at some combo of the 3-4

I think it’s probably certain dortch is an end of bench redshirt and at least possible either jmike or grant do the same
Based on the podcast, Grant might be too good to redshirt. Really hard to predict but he just picked up his forth star, and seems to have what we need - a guy with "grit" who likes to play inside.

Based on the podcast, Grant might be too good to redshirt. Really hard to predict but he just picked up his forth star, and seems to have what we need - a guy with "grit" who likes to play inside.
Dylan Grant did not play basketball this past winter so how on earth did he turn into a 4 star?

Reactions: IMARUFAN
I suppose with Ace's length he could be backup/emergency center
I am certain we will land a big man, but we need to create matchup problems for opponents, not the other way around.

Too often in the last 2 years, as soon as Iowa or Nebraska or anyone with a pulse that shoots the ball well, RU was in trouble before boarding the team plane.

We will have more options to matchup with the 4 to 5 versions of CBB.

A) Super small lineups where teams don't have a traditional 5 (like Alabama), we can easily matchup defensively and put Ace against the least effective offensive players the opponent has.

B) the traditional 4 & 5 man with an opponent, then we matchup with the length and athletes to rebound and defend the paint.

C) The 3 to 4 guard lineups (Illinois, Ohio State, Seton Hall), we have options to now spread the floor and allow driving lanes where Cliff isn't in the way, by being in the post.

D) the small mid major lineups, where RU would waste possessions trying to feed Cliff or the post, just because there was a size advantage. We need to just play 5 on 5 and not worry about who defends who......switch everything on defense, everyone crash the glass, get the rebound and push the tempo.

The key from what I can see, is everyone recruited can rebound and advance the ball on their own....we don't have to force an outlet pass to JWIll or Dylan..if Ace grabs the rebound, everyone takes off.....fill lanes, find open space on the 3 point lines and attack the basket, pass to open players, drive and kick.

The other missing element was that our defense was solid for most of the year, but we didn't get enough cheap baskets in transition off of steals, deflections or blocks. These players should all be able to get baskets or keep teams off the offensive glass.

i don’t see this as a need unless he’d bounce Acuff or Derkack back into the portal, or JaMike.

Harper and Martini aren’t top athletes and no, so far this isnt a tall team. Too many 6’5” guys, especially if Jones commits
Alabama was really not all that tall 1-3 either, actually smaller than us. And rn we have Williams, Ace, Derkack, JaMike who are all great athletes, Jones is a really good athlete, Dylan is too (the athleticism knock is more him against the elite of the elite, he’s plenty athletic). We will see what we have at C but honestly it probably will be similar to Bamas size.

Alabama was really not all that tall 1-3 either, actually smaller than us. And rn we have Williams, Ace, Derkack, JaMike who are all great athletes, Jones is a really good athlete, Dylan is too (the athleticism knock is more him against the elite of the elite, he’s plenty athletic). We will see what we have at C but honestly it probably will be similar to Bamas size.
True, not tall at 1-3 but we have nothing comparable to real height so far at 4-5 except Ogbole because Ace is a perimeter offensive player and probably a weak defender. But as I said our main players will likely resemble Illinois and Iowa.

True, not tall at 1-3 but we have nothing comparable to real height so far at 4-5 except Ogbole because Ace is a perimeter offensive player and probably a weak defender. But as I said our main players will likely resemble Illinois and Iowa.
it seems a little ridiculous to say that dylan harper is not very athletic

if youre sniffing a lottery pick in the nba your level of athleticism is going to be better than 98% of the guys who play in college

athleticism does not just mean leaping ability and dunking a basketball or jumping to block a shot

he gets to the rim whenever he wants on tape and is very quick with his handle and creating space... those in nba terms are are athletic traits

FWIW, my understanding is that Ace (and Harper) are very good defenders and take defense seriously.

if youre sniffing a lottery pick in the nba your level of athleticism is going to be better than 98% of the guys who play in college

athleticism does not just mean leaping ability and dunking a basketball or jumping to block a shot

he gets to the rim whenever he wants on tape and is very quick with his handle and creating space... those in nba terms are are athletic traits
Reports and evaluations are what I stated. Not saying he won't be fantastic, but he's not an athletic specimen, nor was his brother or even his father. He's a big bodied 1.

FWIW, my understanding is that Ace (and Harper) are very good defenders and take defense seriously.
Dylan is a plus defender. Ace can be at times, but seems to take plays off and lose focus at times. But definitely has the rep as being formidable on D when focused.

Reactions: Scangg
In regard to #1, who is bringing in all of these guards?
We don't know for certain how well any of the new guards will translate to the Big Ten. And we don't know how much JMike will improve. My guess is that JMike will get the fewest minutes of the guards. But that absolutely remains to be seen, and JMike himself will have some control over that outcome.

Alabama this year was a very experienced team and did still use three different guys 6'10 or taller between 12-25 minutes a game. There 5 top minute guys were seniors or 6'10.

We don't know for certain how well any of the new guards will translate to the Big Ten. And we don't know how much JMike will improve. My guess is that JMike will get the fewest minutes of the guards. But that absolutely remains to be seen, and JMike himself will have some control over that outcome.
You are not getting portal guys to commit unless you are selling them that there minutes to be played, and Steve is honest to a fault in this regard.

Of course JMike can earn his minutes. My comment was in response that JMike is going to play significant minutes because who his coach is.

You are not getting portal guys to commit unless you are selling them that there minutes to be played, and Steve is honest to a fault in this regard.

Of course JMike can earn his minutes. My comment was in response that JMike is going to play significant minutes because who his coach is.
Disagree. One thing that has been reported on extensively is that all three portal commits came in making public statements that they are happy with any role, and just want to be part of something big. And Pike was clear he wanted selfless kids that weren't going to be making demands. That is something that was encouraging about these signings, and a mitigating factor in people's concerns that we have too many interchangeable players at the 1-3 positions.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Disagree. One thing that has been reported on extensively is that all three portal commits came in making public statements that they are happy with any role, and just want to be part of something big. And Pike was clear he wanted selfless kids that weren't going to be making demands. That is something that was encouraging about these signings, and a mitigating factor in people's concerns that we have too many interchangeable players at the 1-3 positions.

I wouldn't say it mitigates concerns about too many interchangeable players.

I would say it mitigates people concerns about players getting mad and "quit quitting" if they aren't playing as much as they are used to and causing locker room concerns.

Too many interchangeable players is still a concern. Especially if all those interchangeable players are needed for a role that isn't a matched to their skills (need for off ball shooting threat while Harper/Bailey handle the ball most often).

i don’t see this as a need unless he’d bounce Acuff or Derkack back into the portal, or JaMike.

Harper and Martini aren’t top athletes and no, so far this isnt a tall team. Too many 6’5” guys, especially if Jones commits
I don't think Harper is ranked number 3 in the 2024 class and also considered a one and done recruit without having a very high skillset.Those evaluations tell me Harper is a top athlete.

I don't think Harper is ranked number 3 in the 2024 class and also considered a one and done recruit without having a very high skillset.Those evaluations tell me Harper is a top athlete.
Am just going by the published analyses. Great player, not great athleticism. A doesn't mean B.

Yea the scouting reports that say he doesn’t possess “elite” quickness or leaping ability are measuring him by NBA standards. The kid is a lottery pick, he will be more athletic than pretty much everyone on the floor not named Ace Bailey in college.

Yea the scouting reports that say he doesn’t possess “elite” quickness or leaping ability are measuring him by NBA standards. The kid is a lottery pick, he will be more athletic than pretty much everyone on the floor not named Ace Bailey in college.
exactly... athleticism is such a relative attribute

he was the best athlete in every game that wasnt the mcdonalds all american game and team usa game and even then might have been #1 at times

he will be the 2nd best athlete on the rutgers roster from day 1 and will be better athletically than almost all of his collegiate opponents

I guess we define athleticism differently. Quickness, leaping ability, speed. Fast twitch. One can be an exceptional college and NBA talent and not have those attributes.

By my definition, Chris Mullin and Jalen Brunson, not exceptional athletes. Ja Morant, Jaden Ivey are.

I'd probably take Jones as a proven 3 and D guy, Acuff proven scorer, then take the risk and shoot for ceiling hoping Gavin puts it all together
This. I really thought Gavin would’ve made a nice jump here next year. But, I’m hopeful for Dercack. Kid did a lot of nice things last year … and shot 3s like Gavin. Haha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT