ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers is ‘most underrated’ team in Big Ten, analyst says: Here’s why

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“If they had a quarterback that could have completed even a 10% improvement on completion percentage, I think they beat Ohio State,” Butt said. “That Ohio State game, they were winning, it was such a competitive game. I credit Schiano a lot because their margin for error is so, so low.”

A year later, Butt says the “stars are aligned” for Rutgers this season.

He has three major reasons:

How can you post one thread how Rutgers is underrated but plays a weak schedule.
If Schiano dosent win 8 games he will be on the hot seat.
Then post another article that he’s killing it in recruiting?
Not shooting the messenger just amazing how far off some writers can be.

How can you post one thread how Rutgers is underrated but plays a weak schedule.
I think you're far off!! His great recruiting season this year is all seniors in High School in 2024 dude! Those kids don't hit Rutgers Campus until 2025 and a majority will redshirt their freshman year!

Reactions: thegock
I think you're far off!! His great recruiting season this year is all seniors in High School in 2024 dude! Those kids don't hit Rutgers Campus until 2025 and a majority will redshirt their freshman year!
If they even sign and stay. A disappointing ‘24 season, lack of PT in ‘25 or ‘26 and, you know.

Who said we’re on the hot seat if we don’t win 8? I never saw that. It’s true we don’t play the top 4 teams in the pre-season standings, but we also don’t play the bottom 2 teams or NW (who I think is overranked at 14). Outside of the 2 pre-season cupcakes, we’re not going to be favored to win most of the others. Half would be the max we’d be favored in and 5-5 in the other games would only get us to 7-5.

Its pretty funny. We earn a bowl bid for the first time in how many years?
We have a winning record for the first time in how many years?
And now there are conversations about the Offensive Coordinator is somehow on the hot seat or could be???
Shhhheeeeeessshhhh give me a break!

If they even sign and stay. A disappointing ‘24 season, lack of PT in ‘25 or ‘26 and, you know.
You’re unbelievable man . It’s one thing to be objective or even make a little fun of this school and program that has been incompetent in many ways for a long time. The program is vastly improved and this can be a good season. Part of being a fan is enjoying this , at least a little bit. You really just look for the negative here all the time. And this is saying a lot coming from me!
Did schiano steal your prom date or something ?

You’re unbelievable man . It’s one thing to be objective or even make a little fun of this school and program that has been incompetent in many ways for a long time. The program is vastly improved and this can be a good season. Part of being a fan is enjoying this , at least a little bit. You really just look for the negative here all the time. And this is saying a lot coming from me!
He is just a very sad old man!!!

This is a Syracuse fan enjoying this. Sad.

Reactions: thegock and TRU2RU
Mainly because he's not a Rutgers fan.

Did you see the other article Tango posted?
“How Rutgers became a recruiting powerhouse?”
Not my words. It’s not about just one class.
Schiano and his staff flipped the script.
They are killing it. People notice!
Yet in another article the writer claims Schiano will be on the hot seat if he doesn’t win 8 games.
A little bit ironic, don’t you think?
I’m just making an observation here.

Its pretty funny. We earn a bowl bid for the first time in how many years?
We have a winning record for the first time in how many years?
And now there are conversations about the Offensive Coordinator is somehow on the hot seat or could be???
Shhhheeeeeessshhhh give me a break!
They would eat their children.

Reactions: Bagarocks
Shelby has slight optimism going forward. It would certainly be silly and illogical for him to criticize future football performance. What he said was directed to Mr. W. Bus who was counting chickens far too soon.

Shelby’s optimism is based on future QBs and possible improved talent once the current QB leaves. He’s rated the worst conference QB in some analyses. It’s hard to get past that. He might surprise a little bit and play closer to 13-15, but so what.

The counterweight to the future optimism is the return of the conference heavyweights on the schedule and of course the too-conservative philosophy.

Shelby has slight optimism going forward. It would certainly be silly and illogical for him to criticize future football performance. What he said was directed to Mr. W. Bus who was counting chickens far too soon.

Shelby’s optimism is based on future QBs and possible improved talent once the current QB leaves. He’s rated the worst conference QB in some analyses. It’s hard to get past that. He might surprise a little bit and play closer to 13-15, but so what.

The counterweight to the future optimism is the return of the conference heavyweights on the schedule and of course the too-conservative philosophy.
Is your first name Jimmy by any chance?

228da76f-1cd1-4a3c-a198-47b72a92e69d_text.gif

Reactions: shields

Honestly - the optimism lies in the reality that Al never wanted to admit to. Gavin just wasn’t a good every down QB no matter how much time the OL gave him. The receiving unit wasn’t great either but it was more than that. He couldn’t complete simple passes despite having ample time the vast majority of the time.

We had to give Gavin an extremely long leash for important reasons connected to the culture of the program. Greg handled the situation well dispite your banter and the strategic decisions to turn to Gavin to stack up a collection one yard touchdowns to pad positive stats to boost his confidence and overall morale made sense too (but yes - Kyle could’ve converted those easily).

But the truth is - it isn’t going to take much to improve the passing game. We’ve upgraded our receivers and the passing accuracy could not be worse. We’re going to be better on offense barring injuries. We have to.

Having said all this - there is a ton of talk about how easy our schedule is, and little talk about how many games on the schedule are actually going to be easier than most of the games we won last year. Think about our best wins last year and the favorable circumstances surrounding them - NW at home following a scandal, VTech at home amidst a QB change and them battling a collection of injuries, and a Miami team playing mostly with second team players. To win 8 games, we’re going to have to win 2-3 much harder games than we won last year. So yeah - our team will be way better but that still doesn’t guarantee a clear path to 8-4.

Last edited:
Honestly - the optimism lies in the reality that Al never wanted to admit to. Gavin just wasn’t a good every down QB no matter how much time the OL gave him. The receiving unit wasn’t great either but it was more than that. He couldn’t complete simple passes despite having ample time the vast majority of the time.

We had to give Gavin an extremely long leash for important reasons connected to the culture of the program. Greg handled the situation well dispite your banter and the strategic decisions to turn to Gavin to stack up a collection one yard touchdowns to pad positive stats to boost his confidence and overall morale made sense too (but yes - Kyle could’ve converted those easily).

But the truth is - it isn’t going to take much to improve the passing game. We’ve upgraded our receivers and the passing accuracy could not be worse. We’re going to be better on offense barring injuries. We have to.

Having said all this - there is a ton of talk about how easy our schedule is, and little talk about how many games on the schedule are actually going to be easier than most of the games we won last year. Think about our best wins last year and the favorable circumstances surrounding them - NW at home following a scandal, VTech at home amidst a QB change and them battling a collection of injuries, and a Miami team playing mostly with second team players. To win 8 games, we’re going to have to win 2-3 much harder games than we won last year. So yeah - our team will be way better but that still doesn’t guarantee a clear path to 8-4.
Fieldhouse Al of La Mancha's asininity is irrelevant on this topic.

You make several good points about why 2.0 stuck with a tired 4 banger too long in a NASCAR league, but Shelby disagrees with "it won't take much to improve the passing game." I don't expect AK to be anything more than a marginal upgrade at best. Neither of us know most of the conference QB1s, but the analysts have AK rated the worst, or near worst. So if true, and we don't know enough to disagree with that, why does it matter how easy the schedule is compared to other teams' schedules ? QB is the most important position on the field, and having a lousy one can't be spun in any positive way.

Do you think Gavin would have fared better against this year's "easier schedule"? Of course not. See the point ? Bad is bad; opponents don't matter nearly as much.

We can agree that 8-4 is unlikely.

Well said. I think 8-4 is doable if the new QB proves to be serviceable. We don't know that yet. His rankings were very similar to Wimsatt although it's hard to imagine any QB being worse than one who 1) couldn't throw and 2) wasn't allowed to run. Still, wild 10-win predictions are ridiculous without any semblance of a proven passing game. Aside from Athan, we don't know if any of the WRs or TEs are ready to shine at the Big Ten level.

VT will obviously be a much tougher test than last year and they will be favored at home. Washington will certainly not be the "gimme" some here seem to think it will be, either. We are talking about the defending national runners-up. Their second stringers could have beaten most teams' starters last year. Take this thing one game at a time and let's see what we've got. Hopefully another bowl season at minimum but there's really know way to know right now.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Fieldhouse Al of La Mancha's asininity is irrelevant on this topic.

You make several good points about why 2.0 stuck with a tired 4 banger too long in a NASCAR league, but Shelby disagrees with "it won't take much to improve the passing game." I don't expect AK to be anything more than a marginal upgrade at best. Neither of us know most of the conference QB1s, but the analysts have AK rated the worst, or near worst.

I get that AK didn’t put up good numbers last year, but it’s my opinion that pretty much any game manager style QB would’ve had similar looking stats in the situation he played in. Minny needed more than a game manager last year. Their OL was not good and they lost their RB 1 for most of the season so establishing the run was a big challenge.

Put a different way, I think Noah Vedral (healthy) would’ve helped our offense last year a lot in place of Gavin. I don’t think he would’ve helped Minny much though. When game managers have more time they perform better. Thats a function of the OL and I expect our line to offer more protection than what Athan had last year and for this reason he will put up better numbers.

I get that AK didn’t put up good numbers last year, but it’s my opinion that pretty much any game manager style QB would’ve had similar looking stats in the situation he played in. Minny needed more than a game manager last year. Their OL was not good and they lost their RB 1 for most of the season so establishing the run was a big challenge.

Put a different way, I think Noah Vedral (healthy) would’ve helped our offense last year a lot in place of Gavin. I don’t think he would’ve helped Minny much though. When game managers have more time they perform better. Thats a function of the OL and I expect our line to offer more protection than what Athan had last year and for this reason he will put up better numbers.
Don’t think so. Vedral, and Langan for that matter couldn’t pass a lick either no matter the OL. Passing wins but Schiano’s QB1 choices prioritizing ‘game managers’ and rejecting passing talent demonstrate a losing philosophy, especially in this league.

I’m not often a second stringer is better’ guy but Simon and Snyder were both better than the sh*tty no-pass QB1s Schiano picked in recent years instead. AK is likely to be another.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUStriker
Either way, AK is being asked to go into a hostile environment in Blacksburg and beat a Virginia Tech team that will be stacking the box to stop the run. That’s when we’ll find out if this unproven passing game Rutgers has will surprise or if it will just be more of the same.

Don’t think so. Vedral, and Langan for that matter couldn’t pass a lick either no matter the OL. Passing wins but Schiano’s QB1 choices prioritizing ‘game managers’ and rejecting passing talent demonstrate a losing philosophy, especially in this league.

I’m not often a second stringer is better’ guy but Simon and Snyder were both better than the sh*tty no-pass QB1s Schiano picked in recent years instead. AK is likely to be another.

Vedral threw at a very high percentage when he had time. He didn’t have a strong arm for the long ball but he was the text book definition of a capable game manager in terms of execution on the shorts and in the medium game. That’s all we need to take the next step. Will it win us a natty? No - but could we step up to the Iowa level - absolutely.

Hmmmm. What if Rutgers being underrated, and playing a weaker schedule than 2023, and killing it in recruiting are all true?

Because they are. All 3 of those things are true.

Did you see the other article Tango posted?
“How Rutgers became a recruiting powerhouse?”
Not my words. It’s not about just one class.
Schiano and his staff flipped the script.
They are killing it. People notice!
Yet in another article the writer claims Schiano will be on the hot seat if he doesn’t win 8 games.
A little bit ironic, don’t you think?
I’m just making an observation here.
The media isn’t one person. Different media people have different opinions and biases. Your brain has the ability to discern these differences.

Vedral was ok before he was injured in Camp. His completion rate for the two years he was somewhat healthy was over 60% but TD/Int ratio wasn't good. So much for not passing a lick.

BTW, I'd think a Cuse fan would be more concerned about your own real life decommits rather than non-existent Rutgers decommits.

Reactions: wheezer and TRU2RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT