ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers is Paying Yankees $70K to Play at Yankee Stadium?

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
According to Duggan.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...nkee_stadium_be_profi.html#incart_river_index

"In fact, I'm told Rutgers is paying a modest fee (I've heard $70,000) and the Yankees will be on the hook for the ticket sales with Rutgers getting a percentage of the gate.

Adding in the loss of revenue from concessions and parking and considering the similar capacities of High Point Solutions Stadium and Yankee Stadium, it's difficult to see how this game could produce a financial gain for Rutgers, which makes approximately $1.6 million per home game."

Reactions: RU22
tom_sawyers_fence.jpg

Even the dumbest business person wouldn't voluntarily sign up for this kind of deal, assuming it's true. Possible that this was a requirement from the league during our negotiation?

According to Duggan.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...nkee_stadium_be_profi.html#incart_river_index

"In fact, I'm told Rutgers is paying a modest fee (I've heard $70,000) and the Yankees will be on the hook for the ticket sales with Rutgers getting a percentage of the gate.

Adding in the loss of revenue from concessions and parking and considering the similar capacities of High Point Solutions Stadium and Yankee Stadium, it's difficult to see how this game could produce a financial gain for Rutgers, which makes approximately $1.6 million per home game."

BrilliantGrizzledFlicker.gif

Back out of it

There is always a way.
Yup. He doesn't get a pass on this just because it was scheduled a couple years ago. Teams cancel entire games all the time. They could easily cancel the location even now with this much time out. Plus it's not like the Yankees already paid for the game.. Maybe vice versa though..

As Duggan alludes to, probably not the smartest to back out of a deal with a B1G bowl partner, someone you advertise with and one of the more powerful organizations in NYC (an area you want to claim). Better to get through this game and grin and bare it

Then they should at least make it a non-conference game..

As Duggan alludes to, probably not the smartest to back out of a deal with a B1G bowl partner, someone you advertise with and one of the more powerful organizations in NYC (an area you want to claim). Better to get through this game and grin and bare it

The TV ratings will be good because the majority of fans are not going.

"Hobbs and Rutgers fans will have to hold their noses and get through this one game with an understanding that it's not the start of a trend."

Oh, yeah? Forgive me for being overly cynical, but I haven't heard a peep from the AD so far that it isn't. Let's hear it Hobbs if this a one shot deal.

Reactions: MoobyCow
If the stadium sold out we would need $30 ticket to break even. Think either of those are likely to happen?

Do you guys really think anyone is that stupid? Like so stupid that they cannot add?

Its one of two things. Either we were forced, or the percentage of the gate we will take home will be a net money maker over our regular home gate.

Reactions: vkj91
Something stinks about all this. A few days before the announcement when Hobbs was throwing out the first pitch, he was all Gung ho about how he was working hard to bring a Rutgers game to NYS.

When the announcement was made and the fans went bananas, he went quiet. Why isn't someone asking some tough questions about this? Frankly I'm not ready to buy the whole "It's Julie's fault" narrative until I hear more details. Maybe it's so, but right now the facts are pretty murky.

Something stinks about all this. A few days before the announcement when Hobbs was throwing out the first pitch, he was all Gung ho about how he was working hard to bring a Rutgers game to NYS.

When the announcement was made and the fans went bananas, he went quiet. Why isn't someone asking some tough questions about this? Frankly I'm not ready to buy the whole "It's Julie's fault" narrative until I hear more details. Maybe it's so, but right now the facts are pretty murky.

Nothing is signed..Hobbs must be doing something..or else it would confirmed.

Reactions: RU22 and Abro1975
Do you guys really think anyone is that stupid? Like so stupid that they cannot add?

Its one of two things. Either we were forced, or the percentage of the gate we will take home will be a net money maker over our regular home gate.
What worries me is if it was the latter, I'd really have to question the accounting on it.

"Hobbs and Rutgers fans will have to hold their noses and get through this one game with an understanding that it's not the start of a trend."

Oh, yeah? Forgive me for being overly cynical, but I haven't heard a peep from the AD so far that it isn't. Let's hear it Hobbs if this a one shot deal.

Why would Hobbs do that publically? Sure it would make 1 or 2 mesage board guys happening while potentially painting the Yankees organization in a bad light at the same time? Suck it up for one year and move on. Hobbs is handling this the right way.

Reactions: theRU and ruready07

We havent even heard from the AD that this game is on!!

Why he would he discuss future games when this game isnt even confirmed..

Im sure hes working with the Yankees to get us s better deal....it woukd be final already if hes content with what Julie and the Yanks agreed on.

Reactions: RU62 and RU22
Why would Hobbs do that publically? Sure it would make 1 or 2 mesage board guys happening while potentially painting the Yankees organization in a bad light at the same time? Suck it up for one year and move on. Hobbs is handling this the right way.

Angry Rutgers fans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yankees

We havent even heard from the AD that this game is on!!

Why he would he discuss future games when this game isnt even confirmed..

Im sure hes working with the Yankees to get us s better deal....it woukd be final already if hes content with what Julie and the Yanks agreed on.

lol don't be naive.

What worries me is if it was the latter, I'd really have to question the accounting on it.

It says in the article that the yankees are on the hook for ticket sales, with Rutgers getting a percentage of the gate. I would think our percentage of the gate assumes a certain percentage of the seats are sold. Otherwise it would be meaningless to say the yankees are responsible for ticket sales.

None of this is rocket science. Hell, its not even long division. Whether people like Julie and Barchi or not, to assume that they (and the numerous other people working at the school who would be involved) are not capable of making this deal is ludicrous. This is occurring when Yankee Stadium has no other events going on. Its not all that far fetched to assume that the Yankees are giving us the gate to equal home revenue, and they will keep any excess gate as well as the parking and concessions, which are huge for any game at that stadium.

If our guaranteed gate is less than a guaranteed $1.6, I assume Rutgers made the call based on NY exposure, or possibly an agreement (written or unwritten) with the Big Ten that we would work to improve our visibility in NYC. A lot goes into these kind of arrangements. If the school is losing money on this, I am sure that was done with a lot of thought.

I bet if you look closely at the crowd of a Yankees game, you can find several Rutgers employees (and former employees) who have gotten season tickets & special access out of whoring OUR university to the Yankees.

Undoubtedly, the AD's office will respond to this in due time. The fans aren't happy, in spite of efforts to spin and put a happy face on the idea, and the economics are -- on the surface -- horrible. Rather than go off half-cocked, I'll wait to see what they have to say about it -- 2017 is still a long way off.

Reactions: Underdogs88
Hey since no one else said let me be the first to say, Julie gets it.......and oh yea, to all of you Floodites still in hiding, Flood still sucks!!

I feel better now.

It says in the article that the yankees are on the hook for ticket sales, with Rutgers getting a percentage of the gate. I would think our percentage of the gate assumes a certain percentage of the seats are sold. Otherwise it would be meaningless to say the yankees are responsible for ticket sales.
"If you want to buy a ticket to Opening Day or Old Timers Day, you will be required to purchase an equal number of tickets to the RU vs Maryland game..."

None of this is rocket science. Hell, its not even long division. Whether people like Julie and Barchi or not, to assume that they (and the numerous other people working at the school who would be involved) are not capable of making this deal is ludicrous. This is occurring when Yankee Stadium has no other events going on. Its not all that far fetched to assume that the Yankees are giving us the gate to equal home revenue, and they will keep any excess gate as well as the parking and concessions, which are huge for any game at that stadium.

If our guaranteed gate is less than a guaranteed $1.6, I assume Rutgers made the call based on NY exposure, or possibly an agreement (written or unwritten) with the Big Ten that we would work to improve our visibility in NYC. A lot goes into these kind of arrangements. If the school is losing money on this, I am sure that was done with a lot of thought.

Just a quick correction: the city owns the parking, not the Yankees

I'm not following. Where does the extra money come from ?
A home game at HPSS will get 50 k fans who buy tickets, parking and concessions.
A game at Yankee stadium will hold 50 k fan who buy tickets, parking and concessions.
If the ticket, parking and concession pricing is the same, would RU make more $$$ at HPSS instead of splitting any of that money with the Yankees ?? I must be missing something.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT