ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers is Paying Yankees $70K to Play at Yankee Stadium?

Backing out of a verbal agreement with the Yankees, quite possibly the biggest sports brand in the area, and a sponsor of a B1G bowl, wouldnt be the wisest choice, imo. Hobbs has his hands tied here..
What the F are the Yankees going to do? Sign an agreement to have the AAC play the ACC in the Pinstripe instead? Take down the signs that we paid a pretty penny to hang? Schedule Syracuse v BC in their replica instead?

Reactions: S.B. Crumb
IF it's a non-binding agreement, then you have a good point. But, we have no idea what the agreement is. That was the only point I was trying to make above. I agree with you that if there is a viable out here, Hobbs should take it. If there is such an out and he doesn't take it, I will think a lot less of him as our AD. Until now, he's been terrific.

I have never heard of an agreement in principal with no signed contract that is binding. ND had an agreement in principal with us, then made new onerous demands while negotiating the signed agreement and we told them to pound salt. Shit changes. New info is discovered. Hobbs has the perfect reason to take an out..."I didn't know our loyal alums and fans felt this way, we are going to have to part ways."

I think the Yankees will get over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: S.B. Crumb
According to Duggan.
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...nkee_stadium_be_profi.html#incart_river_index

"In fact, I'm told Rutgers is paying a modest fee (I've heard $70,000) and the Yankees will be on the hook for the ticket sales with Rutgers getting a percentage of the gate.

Adding in the loss of revenue from concessions and parking and considering the similar capacities of High Point Solutions Stadium and Yankee Stadium, it's difficult to see how this game could produce a financial gain for Rutgers, which makes approximately $1.6 million per home game."[/QUOTE

With our luck this will be the last game of the season and we will need a win to secure a bowl berth to ...................The Pinstripe Bowl.

Also will the Yankees keep all the ACC ads they run up during this game on the Stadium billboards?

Reactions: RU in IM
There is one huge difference between an agreement in principal and a signed agreeement. People in business change their mind, or have situations change all of the time. An agreement in principal can be changed or eliminated until the point that it is signed. It is simple.
And that's exactly what Notre Damn did to us, going from a 3-and-3 home series to a 5-and-3 series where our home games were in Giants Stadium
Until we know all the particulars, on face value this looks like a "Same ol' Rutgers" type deal.

I do find it odd/funny how many are worried about ticking off the Yankees or the B1G. That alone in its self is pretty sad.
I agree - in the long term who gives a rat's patootie about the former, and the latter to my knowledge is not an issue.
Maybe a non-refundable deposit to reserve the date? Don't want Fordham or Columbia coming in & deciding they want the honor of playing in Authentic Replica Yankee Stadium.
Damnit, get the name right - it's the Steinbrenner Memorial Whorehouse!

I bet if you look closely at the crowd of a Yankees game, you can find several Rutgers employees (and former employees) who have gotten season tickets & special access out of whoring OUR university to the Yankees.
Yep. That's how the real world works.

Apparently Northweastern is looking to go back to Wrigley.
CSN Chicago
RUTGERS LOOKING AT BRINGING FOOTBALL GAME TO YANKEE STADIUM

Who cares about Northwestern and their desperate gimmicks to draw fans to their football games.
Last year Northwestern only averaged 31,000 fans per game and only had 70% capacity.

Rutgers played to 91% capacity last year in High Points Solution despite the collapse under HC Flood.
Call the RU Ticket Office and tell them you want all Home Games in 2017 to be played in High Points Solution Stadium.

Reactions: Scarlet83
They want us to consider a serious donation to this program? How about some full disclosure on this to start with? $$$$

I think beer sales at YS might add a bump to the revenue there. So that's one more factor. Not sure how much of a factor, but at restaurants the bar tab makes more money than the food.

F Yankee Stadium. Bring the game back to campus where Rutgers doesn't have to pay to host a game. Rutgers shouldn't have to pay for home games. If the deal was like the one Rutgers had with MetLife back in 2010, then I'm all for it. In this case the Yankees and those responsible can go pound dirt. Hermman and Flood were idiots to agree to this.

Reactions: Local Shill
Just a quick correction: the city owns the parking, not the Yankees
The Parks Department "owns" the parking but they have leased it out to a third party. The company that runs it sold bonds to buy it and had been in default of those bonds from day 1.
Google it.

Last edited:
Julie did not toss the first pitch at Yankee Stadium. Hobbs can get us out of this mess if he chooses.

I have never seen a bigger bunch of babies in my life! It is one game and some of you are carrying like this is the biggest issue you have in your life. My suggestion to keep your sanity is to get a life and stop worrying about trivial matters like whether RU plays one football game in Yankee stadium. For petes sake!

We have a fan base that acts like non power five at times. Lets focus on recruiting,fund raising..getting the program in postion to win some B10 games..
We will never get to the next level with this type approach from our fan base..IMHO.

We are a B1G team now. No longer have to play in baseball stadiums. Sometimes administration acts like a non P5. Lets focus on beating a B1G rival at home and not selling our home field advantage to the New York Yankees bottom line. We will never get to the next level with that type of approach...IMHO.

Reactions: mildone
I have never seen a bigger bunch of babies in my life! It is one game and some of you are carrying like this is the biggest issue you have in your life. My suggestion to keep your sanity is to get a life and stop worrying about trivial matters like whether RU plays one football game in Yankee stadium. For petes sake!
Season tickets holders have a very valid complaint. We are being forced to purchase tickets to a game we do not want to attend. It's not babyish to resent being charged for something you don't want.

How would you react if you went to a movie theater early enough to get really good parking and seats, paid a bunch to see your favorite movie, and then 1/7th of the way through the movie, they told you if you want to see the rest of the movie, you have to get up, drive to some completely different theater you dislike immensely, pay out the ass to park a long way from that theater, sit in seats far enough away and at such an angle that you can barely see the screen, and then you can watch the rest of the movie there?

I'm pretty sure you'd complain.

I purchase season tickets because what I am purchasing is the entire package associated with home games played at HPSS, with great parking, tailgating, seating, etc.

If they want to schedule a home game at Yankee Stadium, I think that sucks for the team, for the program and for the fans, but whatever. Just don't make me pay for it.

funny that all those VT and Vols fans can show up,over 156k strong at a Race track,sit two miles away from field..and not complain.but people here cant travel 19 miles? SMH.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
We have a fan base that acts like non power five at times. Lets focus on recruiting,fund raising..getting the program in postion to win some B10 games..
We will never get to the next level with this type approach from our fan base..IMHO.
What type of approach? You mean the approach where we don't want to be forced to pay for something we didn't ask for and don't want?

I have no control over recruiting or getting the team in position to win games. I already donate money to the FB program. So I don't have any focus problems.

Seems to me we have an admin that doesn't recognize the reality of it's market when it schedules a home game in a location that over 80% of the fan-base has said they won't attend. The football program is selling a product and we're the customer. Not the other way around.

From a recruiting standpoint, it has to be a benefit to say we played/play at Yankee Stadium. Local recruits and parents might see that as a benefit.

funny that all those VT and Vols fans can show up,over 156k strong at a Race track,sit two miles away from field..and not complain.but people here cant travel 19 miles? SMH.
The reality of this market is that 80% of our fan-base doesn't want to watch football games in Yankee stadium. All the head-scratching in the world isn't going to change that fact any time soon.

Also, I wonder if those fans were forced to pay for that game, or if it was an option.

From a recruiting standpoint, it has to be a benefit to say we played/play at Yankee Stadium. Local recruits and parents might see that as a benefit.
Not if they have heard about or seen the images of RU players having their legs all torn up from the shit turf they have at Yankee stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT