ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers is ranked #40 in 2024 USNEWS Ranking

With a partial overhaul of the criteria, some public universities/colleges were likely to see a rankings bump. Rutgers played the long game with the USNWR rankings I suppose; if they guessed that the criteria would ever change in their favor then someone guessed correctly.

Wow, that's awesome! R highest overall ranking ever (at least that I could find, but others mentioned we were in thr 30s at some point in the 90s):

Rutgers US news rankings

2024 #40, #15 public, #5 B1G
2023 #55, #19 public, #7 B1G
2022 #63
2021 #63, #23 public, #8 B1G
2020 #62, #22 public, #8 B1G
2019 #56, #17 public, #5 B1G
2018 #69, #25 public
2017 #70
2016 #72
2015 #70
2014 #69, #25 public
2013 #68
2012 #68, #24 public
2011 #64
2010 #66
2009 #64
2008 #59
2007 #60
2006 #60
2005 #58
2004 #60
2001 #24 public
2000 #22 public
1998 #16 public
1996 #45, #12 public

With a partial overhaul of the criteria, some public universities/colleges were likely to see a rankings bump. Rutgers played the long game with the USNWR rankings I suppose; if they guessed that the criteria would ever change in their favor then someone guessed correctly.

About Time GIF

Reactions: RU MAN
I just received an e-mail from the Rutgers-Camden administration saying that campus made #49 in "top public universities," a climb of 12 spots. Of course that's not nearly as good as New Brunswick's #15 in public universities (see @Leonard23's post) but it's probably better than many of you would expect.

Last edited:
As I mentioned elsewhere… somewhere lawmatt is getting grouchy this was done because Rutgers didn’t bother spending extra effort trying to woo the upper middle class suburbanite crowd always pining for PSU, Delaware, etc.

All 3 Rutgers campuses place in Top 100 nationally in U.S. News rankings

The Philadelphia Inquirer has a piece reporting that Temple made it into the top 100. (So, btw, did Rutgers-Camden) It also has the following about the ranking criteria:

"'This year’s rankings put increased importance on outcomes — how well schools do at graduating students from varying backgrounds, including first-generation college students, with “manageable debt and post-graduate success,” ''.S. News notes. More than 50% of a school’s ranking relates to those measures.

“The significant changes in this year’s methodology are part of the ongoing evolution to make sure our rankings capture what is most important for students as they compare colleges and select the school that is right for them,” Eric Gertler, executive chairman and CEO of U.S. News, said in a statement.

"Five factors were removed from the rankings: Class size, faculty with terminal degrees, alumni giving, high school class standing, and the proportion of graduates who borrow federal loans."

Then, later in the article:

"Rutgers-New Brunswick placed 40th, tied with the University of Washington and Tufts University. That’s up 15 spots and the first time it broke the top 40, according to U.S. News, which said Rutgers’ benefited from the rankings’ increased emphasis on how well schools did enrolling and graduating students from economically diverse backgrounds.

"Locally, Rutgers-Camden advanced 29 spots to 98. Nearby Rowan University, also in New Jersey, advanced 30 spots to 163.

"Pennsylvania State University jumped 17 spots, to 60. Meanwhile, the University of Delaware went up 13 to 76, and Stockton University rose 22 spots to 159."

Still further on:

"Villanova finished 67th, down 16 spots from last year.

“'This year’s rankings show just how volatile rankings can be,” the university said in a statement. “We believe that the Villanova experience is so much more than one number. There are numerous other indicators — from placement rates and starting salary to long-term career success — that illustrate the value and academic excellence of a Villanova education.”'

The full story is behind a paywall, but here's a link for anyone who is an Inquirer subscriber: https://www.inquirer.com/education/temple-university-us-news-rankings-national-universities-20230918.html?query=college rankings

It's been a long time coming to be back where I believe we always belonged: inside the top 50, like when we were once ranked 39 when US News first published their rankings in the early 1980's. Yes, diversity is more of a big deal now, but to me, that's a better indicator than alumni giving, which was always as much of a crap shoot as secretaries for presidents of universities filling out what they believed other schools should be ranked. Kudos to my beloved alma mater!

Wow, that's awesome! R highest overall ranking ever (at least that I could find, but others mentioned we were in thr 30s at some point in the 90s):

Rutgers US news rankings

2024 #40, #15 public, #5 B1G
2023 #55, #19 public, #7 B1G
2022 #63
2021 #63, #23 public, #8 B1G
2020 #62, #22 public, #8 B1G
2019 #56, #17 public, #5 B1G
2018 #69, #25 public
2017 #70
2016 #72
2015 #70
2014 #69, #25 public
2013 #68
2012 #68, #24 public
2011 #64
2010 #66
2009 #64
2008 #59
2007 #60
2006 #60
2005 #58
2004 #60
2001 #24 public
2000 #22 public
1998 #16 public
1996 #45, #12 public
I believe we were once ranked as high as 39, but that was in the early 1980s, when US News first came out with their rankings. Now, we need to stay inside the top 50 with the objective of moving up even more in the rankings.

Reactions: Leonard23
As the changes show, the rankings depend largely on what criteria are used., and the choice of criteria is subjective. What is important to one family ,e.g. how receptive the college is to first-generation college students, may not be important to another. Thus, to put it mildly, these rankings are of limited usefulness.

As the changes show, the rankings depend largely on what criteria are used., and the choice of criteria is subjective. What is important to one family ,e.g. how receptive the college is to first-generation college students, may not be important to another. Thus, to put it mildly, these rankings are of limited usefulness.
Agree that they are of limited usefulness when it comes to specific numbers, like when a school is ranked 55 vs. 64, for example. However, the ranking does indicate the perception of a school's academic reputation, in general sense, and right now, we are on the first page of the rankings (where only the Top 40 school are always listed) which is very important for perception. Frankly a school like Rutgers should always be there, and we know that we have a strong academic reputation, especially outside of NJ. Almost every high school kid and parent looks at these rankings, for better or for worse, and they take on their own narrative. Our goal should be to always be listed in the top 40, the top 10% of ALL national universities. Higher is nice, but I think that we are finally where we always should have been. Now RU needs to market the heck out of this. Who controls the billboard money, preferably for the roads coming into NJ from Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New York? :)

Scarlet Jerry

As I mentioned elsewhere… somewhere lawmatt is getting grouchy this was done because Rutgers didn’t bother spending extra effort trying to woo the upper middle class suburbanite crowd always pining for PSU, Delaware, etc.

To be fair I think we are getting more upper middle class suburbanites- based on when I've seen which high schools feed into RU the most. It's just that even the upper middle class today is shaking their head at the cost of private and OOS schools more than they used to. That, and much of the upper middle class in NJ isn't a deranged Karen in the Shop Rite line who thinks Biff needs to join the Cult to burnish his credentials, but rather a parent who values education and diversity.

USNWR took out alumni giving, class size, and emphasized income upon graduation and diversity. You couldn't get more RU-centric measures if you tried. And deservedly so.

Agree that they are of limited usefulness when it comes to specific numbers, like when a school is ranked 55 vs. 64, for example. However, the ranking does indicate the perception of a school's academic reputation, in general sense, and right now, we are on the first page of the rankings (where only the Top 40 school are always listed) which is very important for perception. Frankly a school like Rutgers should always be there, and we know that we have a strong academic reputation, especially outside of NJ. Almost every high school kid and parent looks at these rankings, for better or for worse, and they take on their own narrative. Our goal should be to always be listed in the top 40, the top 10% of ALL national universities. Higher is nice, but I think that we are finally where we always should have been. Now RU needs to market the heck out of this. Who controls the billboard money, preferably for the roads coming into NJ from Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New York? :)

Scarlet Jerry

They always say the MBA is the top public program in the Northeast, so I expect one for top public U in the Northeast period.

Reactions: RUnTeX
I believe we were once ranked as high as 39, but that was in the early 1980s, when US News first came out with their rankings. Now, we need to stay inside the top 50 with the objective of moving up even more in the rankings.
I think we can crack the Top 10 in terms of public universities by 2030 if we stay ambitious. To get to 10th, we would have to jump Wisconsin, Illinois-Champaign, UC Santa Barbara, UC Irvine, and Georgia Tech (that'd be at least 33rd nationally). The Rutgers Cancer Hospital and Medical School being built in downtown NB will go a long way.

Did schools like Northeastern who played the ranking get impacted by the new ranking system?

Many years ago, Northeastern was a commuter school for blue collar kids and adults working and trying to get a degree.

They fell to #53 so going a bit south this year after inflating their score over the years.

What's so cool about this is RU didn't have to do anything but keep taking the cream of the crop of NJ kids- who have great scores and grades, who are diverse, who have solid incomes after graduating. All USNWR was remove moronic calibers like alumni giving and class size and poof...we surge to where we belong. No rigging, no funny games, no pulling a UConn/Clemson/Northeastern and giving Harvard an F in reputation.

Just imagine now if we upped our scores more and took even slightly more OOS kids...could be what it takes to get to that Wisky/GT level like you state.

What's so cool about this is RU didn't have to do anything but keep taking the cream of the crop of NJ kids- who have great scores and grades, who are diverse, who have solid incomes after graduating. All USNWR was remove moronic calibers like alumni giving and class size and poof...we surge to where we belong. No rigging, no funny games, no pulling a UConn/Clemson/Northeastern and giving Harvard an F in reputation.

Just imagine now if we upped our scores more and took even slightly more OOS kids...could be what it takes to get to that Wisky/GT level like you state.
I'd absolutely LOVE to see Rutgers in that 2nd tier of public universities. You figure the 1st tier are the truly elite publics:

1st tier: UCLA, UC-Berkeley, UVA, Michigan, UNC
2nd tier: Florida, Texas, 2nd tier UC schools (Irvine, Santa Barbara, San Diego), GT
3rd tier: Rutgers, Wisconsin, Illinois, Washington, OSU, Purdue, Maryland

Stay hungry and we can crack into the 2nd tier which is Top 10 nationally.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
The Rutgers Cancer Hospital and Medical School being built in downtown NB will go a long way.
Might be a tough climb to leap some of those seemingly entrenched schools in the 10-15 range but aside from a few/limited research opportunites for undergrad science majors, how exactly do the Cancer institute expansion and medical school help with what is strictly an undergrad ranking? Is it perception alone?

Now the rankings came out was there a typo in the undergrad qty. RU showing 7500 undergrads or is this Business School ranking or something to that effect. I'm assuming had to be a huge typo error

Where do you see 7.5k ?

". It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 36,344 (fall 2022)..."

Must have been what Greenknight saw

"It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 7,511 (fall 2022), its setting is urban, and the campus size is 108 acres." - RU -Newark

Reactions: RUnTeX
The link actually says that Rutgers is in the top 15 of public universities, while the headline says top 15 on best colleges list. Obviously that's different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT