ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers lands Merrimack transfer G Jordan Derkack

Complementary player. Which is perfect given we have 2 star level players coming in.

In an odd way it sounds a bit like Mulcahy's profile, more of a scorer, less of a ball handler, but just a do everything guy. Minus the theatrics too I bet.

Really like this add (would love it if he add's the 3 ball to his repetoire).
Seems like he may be a "lunchpail" type of guy.

Good bloodlines too:

Reactions: RU-05
Derkack was held to 4 points against Wagner in the championship game.
But rumor was he was hurt.

center 40 minutes
everyone else 160

Does the lifeguard allow Ace to swim in the CENTER pool for a few minutes to allow more room in the other pool for others
No, we have some posters insisting Ace can't play any minutes at the 4 even

There is no way Harper is the primary PG alongside JWill
There is a way. Both will have the ball in their hands plenty. They each will take pressure off the other to create every single time down the court. It's a good thing, not a problem

Look at past shooting %s of Pike freshman. It isnt pretty.
Other freshman shooting stats are irrelevant to Dylan and Ace

Dylan Harper had 101 made 3s in his HS career. Paul Mulcahy had 136.

Dylan is ridiculous with the ball in his hands, especially in transition.

I don't know if perimeter shooting is a strength.
I made 93 threes my senior year alone

Reactions: cm_13
No, we have some posters insisting Ace can't play any minutes at the 4 even

There is a way. Both will have the ball in their hands plenty. They each will take pressure off the other to create every single time down the court. It's a good thing, not a problem

Other freshman shooting stats are irrelevant to Dylan and Ace

I made 93 threes my senior year alone
There are times where you just want to play your best 5 guys, especially if there is a huge drop off. Pike had Oskar play center over Ogobole and Woolfolk at times.

Why are other freshman shooting stats irrelevant?

You did supply proof of the 3s so it is NOT fake news. Not sure you have the body control in transition that Dylan has.

Reactions: Scangg
I feel like some folks are struggling with the terms "role player" and "starter" being exclusive. They're not. I see him starting, but being a glue guy. We all know who are taking the shots next year. And I'm pretty confident that's how this will go.

Reactions: RU-05
I feel like some folks are struggling with the terms "role player" and "starter" being exclusive. They're not. I see him starting, but being a glue guy. We all know who are taking the shots next year. And I'm pretty confident that's how this will go.
starter or quality depth, makes Jordan a nice portal pick-up

Reactions: Loyal-Son and RuSnp
It was horrible. He certainly knew how to dribble into a crowd and turn the ball over, or jack up an off balance 3.
I know, Eagleton!

After seeing GG play is HS, I expected a lot more offensive IQ. He had skills, but his decision making on the floor was horrible. I don’t know what Greene saw to say what he posted.

All good.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I don't see Jordan creating his own shot much, but I could him being on the receiving end of drives and dishes. Both on the break and in the half court. Some rebound put backs as well.

A little wary of how he is able to handle the size of the big ten, but finishing, even if it is below the rim, was a strength, so I figure he translates at least a little.

Should have good hands too.

Reactions: mjjoyce51
Not saying his decision making was good, but he was an advanced offense player in terms of coming off screens, using both hands around the rim, jump stopping and passing with pick and roll on the wing.

He knew what he was doing on offense.

Now on defense.....I swear he was never taught ball-you-man triangle. I was stunned how someone who has played basketball as long as he did looked like he never was taught how to play help defense.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Not saying his decision making was good, but he was an advanced offense player in terms of coming off screens, using both hands around the rim, jump stopping and passing with pick and roll on the wing.

Now on defense.....I swear he was never taught ball-you-man triangle. I was stunned how someone who has played basketball as long as he did looked like he never was taught how to play help defense.
He got completely sped up and out of control by college defenses

Derkack was a no show with only 4 points in the NEC title loss to Wagner. That seems concerning.

Edit : he was injured . So not too concerning
I’m always at least a little concerned when it comes to injuries and end of season injuries in our players/transfers… In his conference tournament semi and final he shot a combined 3-20 FG and 2-16 3pt playing with a fractured foot and torn ligaments.. Hopefully he’ll be 100% by the time practice starts and he won’t have any additional problems with the foot. Good that he apparently doesn’t need surgery.

https://www.themackreport.com/p/derkack-played-with-a-fractured-foot

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Pike has never had a shooter come to RU better than Gavin. Before that Jaden. These guys were highly rated and almost exclusively highly rated for their shooting.
This
I may be alone here, but I am not as much fixated on adding a shooter
Chemistry on the court is more important, moving, getting open, getting the ball to the guy that is open, etc

Recently we have lost.early season games against lesser team, having poor chemistry, and then playing well against better teams midseason, when things click better

Many obsess over a 27% shooter versus a 33% shooter from outside
Play like a team, have five guys on the court aggressive and smart

I feel like he was extremely talented and athletic but didn’t know what he was doing on offense. Bad shot selection, not picking his spots, always looked rushed and couldn’t get where he wanted off the dribble. The game was moving too fast for him. When I think of a “mature” game it’s probably the opposite of that. I also think some of it was his preseason expectations. You could tell he really wanted to be the shot maker Rutgers needed.

Defense… yeah 😭

These guys we have coming in next year all have mature games. Experienced mixed with extreme talent. Really excited to see what the final pieces are that get added

I feel like he was extremely talented and athletic but didn’t know what he was doing on offense. Bad shot selection, not picking his spots, always looked rushed and couldn’t get where he wanted off the dribble. The game was moving too fast for him. When I think of a “mature” game it’s probably the opposite of that. I also think some of it was his preseason expectations. You could tell he really wanted to be the shot maker Rutgers needed.

Defense… yeah 😭

These guys we have coming in next year all have mature games. Experienced mixed with extreme talent. Really excited to see what the final pieces are that get added
How about getting us a center Geo? Only half kidding🤣

This
I may be alone here, but I am not as much fixated on adding a shooter
Chemistry on the court is more important, moving, getting open, getting the ball to the guy that is open, etc

Recently we have lost.early season games against lesser team, having poor chemistry, and then playing well against better teams midseason, when things click better

Many obsess over a 27% shooter versus a 33% shooter from outside
Play like a team, have five guys on the court aggressive and smart
Couldn't agree more

Reactions: Geo_Baker_1

Defense… yeah 😭

perfect synopsis.

for me, as a relatively uniformed fan (like 99% of us on here) he passed the "eye test" - he moved like an athletic basketball player, was long and tall, his handle was decent for his size/ position, his shot LOOKED good ....

but everything else you said "not picking his spots, always looked rushed and couldn’t get where he wanted off the dribble. The game was moving too fast for him. When I think of a “mature” game it’s probably the opposite of that" was also plainly obvious (even to the untrained eye, like myself).

it was like you could see the potential under the surface but it rarely came through for the reasons you cite... just really raw (on offense).

and on defense.....ugh (although got a good deal better later in the season)

how someone could say his offensive game was "mature" or that he was an "advanced offense player"... not sure what they were watching/ smoking.

then and now the only thing the kid MIGHT have is potential /talent.... the coming years will show whether that was true.

Last edited:
🤣 right? Short term selective memory

That Ron Harper Jr guy was pretty good the year before that to

🤣 right? Short term selective memory

That Ron Harper Jr guy was pretty good the year before that too
Harper 34% for his career. His highest % in last season and averaged 2 3s made per game. That’s not awesome in my book.

What??? Please tell me what % Spencer shot from 3 at Rutgers.
About 43%. But he averaged 2.1 a game. For context the 50th highest this year was 2.72 made per game so he (and Harper) were well below that. Was he a feared 3 pt shooter? Didn’t shoot enough of them. So, a good % but not really a game changer.

About 43%. But he averaged 2.1 a game. For context the 50th highest this year was 2.72 made per game so he (and Harper) were well below that. Was he a feared 3 pt shooter? Didn’t shoot enough of them. So, a good % but not really a game changer.
So Spencer was a game changer only this year because he made 2.5 threes instead of 2.1?

Mag has a career 3PT shooting % of 24.5 and we still have a small audience of fans wondering if he can come back to RU.....

I can safely say, every portal pickup is significantly better than Mag in pretty much every category, especially shooting and playmaking scoring. If we add Jadon Jones, we would have 2 legit defenders (albeit at smaller conferences) and both players are significant upgrades over Mag.

There is literally no downside to Derkack at RU.....he makes plays folks, all the tape shows are plays being made. We will get his turnovers under control and even if we do that, we have a legitimate player in the rotation.

Good point.

1. But with a defense like we had that year, each made 3 point shot was extremely valuable to Rutgers.

2. Not a game changer, you say? How about the buzzer beating 3 at #1 Purdue… game changer, right?

Last edited:
This guys can score. Period. We'll get more three point shooters on this team, don't worry.

Where did i say they arent good enough?

I look at things from 2 sides and not one.

I find positives and negatives.

Some of my “negative” takes are right. Some of my “positive” takes are wrong.
I was busy at the time so didn’t respond to your response after GG hit the portal.

You mentioned that you got killed for saying GG should have played less and Oskar more….And in retrospect the big pro Gavin argument (potential/development) was moot, because he transferred.

If GG played less, it’s fair to assume he would have transferred anyway. The “play him less” approach/camp would likely be blamed for him transferring.

Seems like GG vindicated GRF in the end.
If he played less, seems like you would have never been proven right….even though you were.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I just thought he wasn't good enough at the time to play. Doesnt mean he wont be good enough in the future.

As far as development, i thought practice is where most of tfe development comes and not 150 minutes of game action.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT