ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers/Maryland Rivalry Trophy in the Works?

turtle-knight-woodcut-style-armor-riding-34660844.jpg

This would be a great idea if there was so much as a single Rutgers fan who gave a rats a$$ about Maryland.

We have no history with Maryland, having played them a grand total of 4 times since 1942. The states do not border each other (as is the case with Penn State and Syracuse). And simply having joined the B1G at the same time is hardly the stuff that rivalries are made of.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think we are very similar to Maryland in location (drivable), good high school football states, both programs fighting to get to next level and unlikely both teams get to double digit wins in same season. But, I think rivalry needs to grow not be forced.

This would be a great idea if there was so much as a single Rutgers fan who gave a rats a$$ about Maryland.

We have no history with Maryland, having played them a grand total of 4 times since 1942. The states do not border each other (as is the case with Penn State and Syracuse). And simply having joined the B1G at the same time is hardly the stuff that rivalries are made of.
If Michigan State and Penn State could make a rivalry trophy the second Penn State joined the B1G and made them locked rivals before they even played a conference game, then so can RU/Marlyand here. It makes more sense. MSU/PSU I think would also consider each other their 2nd biggest rivals. That was a forced rivalry that worked. Rutgers and Maryland are close enough, similar enough and had 2 great games to start their conference battles. Every Big Ten team has at least one in-conference trophy game. You guys should too!

Reactions: JeepGuy999
I would love if the trophy had something to do with beaches / shore. Only 2 B1G teams with ocean coastline states. Also the shore is a big part of each states identity

I think at some point when anothe thread came up on this one of our posters even sketched something along these lines.

If Michigan State and Penn State could make a rivalry trophy the second Penn State joined the B1G and made them locked rivals before they even played a conference game, then so can RU/Marlyand here. It makes more sense. MSU/PSU I think would also consider each other their 2nd biggest rivals. That was a forced rivalry that worked. Rutgers and Maryland are close enough, similar enough and had 2 great games to start their conference battles. Every Big Ten team has at least one in-conference trophy game. You guys should too!

How about we start with you changing your offensive avatar?

How about we start with you changing your offensive avatar?
I'm sorry. I forgot it was 2016 and everyone is offended by everything and that I should bend to the whim of whomever is offended. My avatar also has nothing to do with my posts in this thread so I'm not sure where you're coming from. I'm a Christian. If I find Harbaugh's face on an image of Jesus as funny, I'll use it all I damn well please. I use it here as a play on the outside perception of Michigan fans thinking Harbaugh is the second coming. It's a joke. Get over yourself.

Harbaugh bless and have a good day.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I forgot it was 2016 and everyone is offended by everything and that I should bend to the whim of whomever is offended. My avatar also has nothing to do with my posts in this thread so I'm not sure where you're coming from. I'm a Christian. If I find Harbaugh's face on an image of Jesus as funny, I'll use it all I damn well please. It's a joke. Get over yourself.

Harbaugh bless and have a good day.

Not that you need validation but I'll tell you I think your avatar is hilarious.

Not that you need validation but I'll tell you I think your avatar is hilarious.
Thanks. Me too! I just added to my original post that I use it here as a play on the outside perception of Michigan fans thinking Harbaugh is the second coming. I'm Christian. I'm using it. End of story. Back to rivalry trophy talk.

Suggested trophy names:

- The Ocean City Cup -NJ & MD both have resorts named Ocean City (ours is better).
- The Susquehannok Cup - New Sweden (located along the banks of the Delaware River including settlements where Swedesboro and Bridgeport, NJ are today) was allied with the Susquehannok tribe against the colony of Maryland in The Susquehannok War. (We won).
- Oyster Schooner - Representing the historic watermen of the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Play the game on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry. I know the Ferry doesn't actually go as far as Maryland,but we can work out the details at a later date.

Oh great, another contrived rivalry? I didn't even waste the time to read the article, but rivalries should be organic - let them develop on their own. How did that terrific TTFP-MSU rivalry work out? What did they call it, the Land Grant Trophy? Yeah, I'm sure that's got a lot of meaning to both schools!

Reactions: IMARUFAN
How about something involving lighthouses like the Lighthouse Cup or Lighthouse Trophy? Both states have plenty of lighthouses up and down their coast line.

I think we are very similar to Maryland in location (drivable), good high school football states, both programs fighting to get to next level and unlikely both teams get to double digit wins in same season. But, I think rivalry needs to grow not be forced.

I said this in another thread, but there really are so many similarities between both programs right now. Everything from energetic new head coaches to a fertile recruiting ground that is finally paying off to our mutual hatred for Penn State. The last two years have produced two incredible comebacks, but unfortunately both fan bases were more or less checked out at that point of the season. If we continue to play tight games, theres a good chance this grows into a natural rivalry. Lots of Jersey kids go to UMD too, which doesn't hurt.

Oh great, another contrived rivalry? I didn't even waste the time to read the article, but rivalries should be organic - let them develop on their own. How did that terrific TTFP-MSU rivalry work out? What did they call it, the Land Grant Trophy? Yeah, I'm sure that's got a lot of meaning to both schools!
So we have to wait until somebody accidentally leaves something behind at the other's stadium?
That's how the Little Brown Jug got started when Michigan accidentally left their water jug behind at Minnesota.

So we have to wait until somebody accidentally leaves something behind at the other's stadium?
That's how the Little Brown Jug got started when Michigan accidentally left their water jug behind at Minnesota.
Yep! The moment someone leaves behind a well-aged bottle of single malt scotch at our stadium, I'll get that rivalry started!

The DJ Spanky Trophy...probably will rank right up there with the Stanley Cup !!!

We don't have any rivalrys and thats ok. Enough with these dumbass trophy game suggestions.

Reactions: beaced

https://goo.gl/images/UJ0Dvg

I can't believe you have reservations about starting a contrived rivalry when you could compete for something as glorious as that!!

We should emphasize what we share with Maryland that made us partners for the B1G in the first place -- location in the northeast corridor of about 50 million people living in this megacity from Boston to Washington. There are surprisingly few D1 programs in that region.

Let's call it the Battle of Megalopolis
Or the Megalopolis trophy. The game could be called the Nor'Easter.

It's unique. It's real. And it has nothing to do with Penn State because they are not in the Megalopolis region.

I think a trophy game is fine since both states are very similar but in no way does it make us rivals. That has to happen on its own

Reactions: cicero grimes
Don't think both fanbases think of each other as rivals , just that the B1G made a trophy game hoping it would turn into a rivalry .

As for a Rutgers rivalry with Maryland, it won't be forced and only can happen because of the play on the field sets the tone.
Penn St is the school that Maryland and Rutgers fans look at as possibably the school with the best chance to be a rival and Penn St fans act like Rutgers might turn into theirs, even if they act differently.
Maryland looks at PSU more of a rival , but play on the field will make it one or not.

Get something going between the schools because of the games between the schools ,
don't try to force a trophy game between schools that the Maryland and Rutgers fanbases won't care about .
That said The Crab could be the Trophy in a Trophy Game between Rutgers and Maryland, but let the schools play for awhile to see if a trophy game between them is deserved.

Last edited:
Thanks. Me too! I just added to my original post that I use it here as a play on the outside perception of Michigan fans thinking Harbaugh is the second coming. I'm Christian. I'm using it. End of story. Back to rivalry trophy talk.

Uh, Michigan fans DO think Harbaugh is the second coming. That is not just an outsider's perspective. That's true. The Umich alums I know put him up on such a pedestal.

Don't think both fanbases think of each other as rivals , just that the B1G made a trophy game hoping it would turn into a rivalry.
I can tell you first hand, tons of Spartans HATE Penn State. Also if you check their forums during that week the hate seems pretty prevalent and real on both sides.

Hey, it's not my fault you won't acknowledge that there are some Michigan fans that put Harbaugh up on an alter. Your avatar makes you seem like one of them.

And don't ever tell me to stop.
Obviously there are some. I never said there wasn't. There's "some" in every group of people that thinks something. You just can't use your tiny sample size of friends as a blanket for all. If I knew 3 Rutgers alums and all 3 thought Kyle Flood was a good coach I wouldn't think every Rutgers fan thinks that or even most.

Harbaugh is the second coming of an actual football coach such as Bo. That's it. He's not worshipped nor was Bo himself. Maybe if he wins a title. Then I'd be the first in line for the church of Harbaugh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT