ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers may have backed off 2018 Florida center

Russ Wood

All American
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Yesterday I spoke with Colin Castleton at the Florida team camp. He holds a Rutgers offer but did not mention them at all while talking to me. Right now he seems to be focused on Clemson, Georgia, Illinois and Florida.

Florida has not offered him yet.

Castleton has grown two inches in the past year and is now a legit 6-foot-11. He weighs 220 pounds. He is a "late bloomer"

Interesting seems like a solid player. If true this is great news for Rutgers turning down a good player thinking they have better chances with players higher on their board.

If Rutgers didn't get a sniff a few years back from a Florida big man (Chandler Parsons) whose grandfather was a star at Rutgers, and so many other suitors involved, the chances of Castleton giving Rutgers a serious look are probably nil.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20110315/ARTICLES/110319609
Interesting that Parsons' grandfather still ranks 26th on RU's all-time scoring list, one ahead of Jimmy Valvano. I can still recall Jimmy V scoring his 1000th point. The Barn was electric and wouldn't sit down and stop screaming. They had to delay the game.

Russ, could it be Rutgers didn't back off but it was Colin that put RU out of the running and Rutgers is still trying but not getting the love back.

Russ, could it be Rutgers didn't back off but it was Colin that put RU out of the running and Rutgers is still trying but not getting the love back.
Not sure. I asked which schools he was hearing from the most and he didn't mention RU

This is interesting. I have no idea what occurred here. I posit the question if we were recruiting the player who wasn't interested what are the pros and cons of letting the fan base know vs allowing us to think that we're doing better w other players. I think I'd rather hear this.. because it feels better. Also , kids were recruiting believe it. On the other hand a staff that doesn't have IT continues to fire blanks

Tbh Castleton may have been offered by the previous staff, for all I know, and Pikiell may have watched him and decided to recruit others at the position

Interesting seems like a solid player. If true this is great news for Rutgers turning down a good player thinking they have better chances with players higher on their board.
And that's definitely the reason? Couldn't be that there might be other issues like character or academics?

And that's definitely the reason? Couldn't be that there might be other issues like character or academics?
My opinion
When it comes to recruiting or not recruiting a HS player who backs off and why he backed off can be only be speculated unless the school or the recruit gives a reason.
All most of us will know: if Rutgers is in the running for a recruit is when the player lists the schools he's interested in and we probably can't be sure if Rutgers stopped showing interest or the kid lost interest when that list comes out

I texted Castleton and asked him about Rutgers and he said:

"No they don't call much so they're not really on my list"

Mystery solved.

Reactions: Arizona Knight
I texted Castleton and asked him about Rutgers and he said:

"No they don't call much so they're not really on my list"

Mystery solved.

This is great news as this confirms RU has backed off and feels better with its chances for players higher on the 2017 board.

Reactions: Russ Wood
If Rutgers didn't get a sniff a few years back from a Florida big man (Chandler Parsons) whose grandfather was a star at Rutgers, and so many other suitors involved, the chances of Castleton giving Rutgers a serious look are probably nil.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20110315/ARTICLES/110319609
So by this logic Rutgers should never recruit a big man from Florida?

Billy Donovan prioritized Chandler early and basically lived at his HS. Plus UF was winning nattys back then. No way Parsons wasn't coming to UF.

Reactions: rubaseball78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT