ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Men’s Lacrosse Hosts Brown on Sunday

Read elsewhere Scott didn't play. Highest praise for Knobloch and Stoller. Solid work by Ringer, Aimone and Rizzotti. Newcomers who impressed were Colin Kurdyla and Zeller.

Scoring as Family said above.

16 - 5 at the end of 4 quarters. They played 2 more and it ended 22-9.

Ross sat as did some other guys. Heard the same about Stoller. He’s solidified himself as GK1

Looks like we are going to rotate 7-8 offensive middies.

I am guessing Knobloch is back to middie after the end of year switch to attack? and do you think if we have 7-8 o-mids, they'll rotate in the early part of the schedule but then solidify into the best 2 lines by B10 play?

Knobloch wont be playing attack unless something catastrophic happens again.

I’m sure the bench will shorten a little but if you can have some extra guys that are productive you give them runs. Depth is gold, especially as fast as we want to play.

Per a Brown fan post, "Rutgers looked sharp and prepared. Brown has a few skilled players however the team was manhandled and looked confused."

Not a bad way to close out the fall and start looking forward to the season.

This is good to hear. But I have a question about fall ball -- does Brown train as much as we do in the fall? Serious question, as I don't have any insight into practice schedules in lacrosse, let alone in the Ivy League.

Just wondering if this is an "apples to apples" comparison of teams (though, regardless of the answer, it's still great to hear how sharp our team looked).

This is good to hear. But I have a question about fall ball -- does Brown train as much as we do in the fall? Serious question, as I don't have any insight into practice schedules in lacrosse, let alone in the Ivy League.

Just wondering if this is an "apples to apples" comparison of teams (though, regardless of the answer, it's still great to hear how sharp our team looked).

One difference I can think of is that only one fall scrimmage is allowed. So the Rutgers scrimmage tour this fall probably wouldn't pass muster unless there is an exception for intersquad. Major factor for Dartmouth, though not Brown, is the 1 mandatory summer semester which is offset by taking a semester at some point during a year. Between that and a few football players you don't come close to the regular season roster.

One difference I can think of is that only one fall scrimmage is allowed. So the Rutgers scrimmage tour this fall probably wouldn't pass muster unless there is an exception for intersquad. Major factor for Dartmouth, though not Brown, is the 1 mandatory summer semester which is offset by taking a semester at some point during a year. Between that and a few football players you don't come close to the regular season roster.
Fall scrimmage is defined as a day of competition against another school. And it is dates so you can have multiple scrimmages on the same day against different teams. But, inter-squad scrimmages do not count against the number.

Fall scrimmage is defined as a day of competition against another school. And it is dates so you can have multiple scrimmages on the same day against different teams. But, inter-squad scrimmages do not count against the number.

Are the Ivies more restrictive?

Hope my RU crew is good. I talked to a dad on the Brown side today. He said RU gave them a pretty good beat down. Good stuff because the Big Ten is absolutely loaded with talent a strong teams…

One last thing…Go Lions!!!!! #MNF 😜
Sounded almost as bad as the beat down you gave me and your boy on the links. Ouch!

Reactions: mattkamish
I believe Princeton and Cornell have had two scrimmages but could be wrong.

I know the Ivys can’t start Spring practice until a bit later but I don’t believe there are different restrictions on practice in the fall. At least not that I am aware of. Got a look at the stats that were kept that have been sent around. We put one on them. I doubt it was practice time and more we are just better. Things are very vanilla in the fall. If there is ever a time where strategy is out the window and you are just lining up going talent on talent, this is it.

I believe Princeton and Cornell have had two scrimmages but could be wrong.

I know the Ivys can’t start Spring practice until a bit later but I don’t believe there are different restrictions on practice in the fall. At least not that I am aware of. Got a look at the stats that were kept that have been sent around. We put one on them. I doubt it was practice time and more we are just better. Things are very vanilla in the fall. If there is ever a time where strategy is out the window and you are just lining up going talent on talent, this is it.

Fall practice always started when fall classes started and lasted until roughly the last weekend in October, so I don't think there was much of a difference. If Princeton and Cornell played multiple scrimmages I stand corrected.

Not generally, and it is the NCAA that defines contest dates. Lacrosse has a total number of dates in which they can compete, outside tournaments. That is a total number so if that number is say 17, a team can schedule 17 total contests including scrimmages in any one year. So if you have 1 fall scrimmage and 1 spring scrimmage you have 15 regular season games. Some schools prefer to save their contest dates for the spring while others will use multiple in the fall
I do believe that the Ivies can not start prior to Feb. 1st

A message from Brian and some highlights from the scrimmage. A point of emphasis was put on shooting in the offseason and it's only one scrimmage but it seems to be better. We have some snipers out there. I'm not sure how it will relate to wins and losses but it's pretty clear we have more overall firepower than we did last year. Colin Kelly is going to add that outside dimension we had with Kirst and Bartolo. Kid slings it in that category.

A message from Brian and some highlights from the scrimmage. A point of emphasis was put on shooting in the offseason and it's only one scrimmage but it seems to be better. We have some snipers out there. I'm not sure how it will relate to wins and losses but it's pretty clear we have more overall firepower than we did last year. Colin Kelly is going to add that outside dimension we had with Kirst and Bartolo. Kid slings it in that category.
Thanks, that was a much appreciated break from my afternoon conference calls prior to my late afternoon conference calls.

Have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot of "They have no answer for Knobloch" this year. We also forget how close they were last season so hoping this depth helps out a lot.

No need to rehash last year but losing Cameron had such a big impact on the season. No excuses though this is big boy ball. Staff clearly has a lot more pieces to play with.

Reactions: Wagram97
Thanks, that was a much appreciated break from my afternoon conference calls prior to my late afternoon conference calls.

Have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot of "They have no answer for Knobloch" this year. We also forget how close they were last season so hoping this depth helps out a lot.
Shane is a dynamic player and an elite shooter. He’s multiple in his abilities and is very hard to guard…really a very very good player

First, that is my favorite camera angle. It is crazy how much can be gleaned. Man did those guys put on a clinic from 10-12 yards out. That's my favorite clip in a looong time.

First, that is my favorite camera angle. It is crazy how much can be gleaned. Man did those guys put on a clinic from 10-12 yards out. That's my favorite clip in a looong time.

Really was. Hands free for these guys and it was lights out. The depth of scoring was impressive.

As to Knobloch, that kid is playing at an elite level. If you watch him enough, it's not just his physical abilities, which are great- He's quick, strong, and has an array of release points on his shots from the entire clock, with both hands no less. If that isn't enough to deal with, his IQ is off the charts. His play is truly sublime. You can see how he moves pieces around and always seems to be two steps ahead of the slides. The guy guarding him has no chance. It's the second and third slides that he's looking. Then he makes the right play whether that be passing or shooting. He's a threat at every level. See the assist in OT against Princeton last year. That's a pass very few if any midfielders at the college level can make. If any. To me, that's his greatest strength, as vast as his physical talents are. It's his IQ that truly sets him apart. We've had some great middies over the years and he has put himself in the conversation as one of the best.

That pass in OT against Princeton was amazing, moving in traffic, from an angle to Kulas, and right on target at the exact right time.

You can see clearly from the video, in the face of pressure, he was quickly able to asses that he had two guys covering him leaving someone open after they jumped the pick. To Princeton's credit, it was the right guy to leave open, even with the picker falling down. The fatal flaw for Princeton was the defenseman was cheating slightly to the adjacent, which is where almost every midfielder in the country not named Shane Knobloch would have passed the ball. It's would have been the right play- you can spin it from there. However, Shane Knobloch had the ball. Between the adjacent D man cheating ever so slightly and the crease Dman having his stick on the wrong side of his body, Shane was able to, in a nano second, determine that and throw it to the far post spot where Kulas made a great finish with his offhand. This is an extremely high level play. The kind you typically only see at the professional level. I am not sure what is more impressive, the ability to see that pass, or the physical gifts to execute it. The finish again was very high level. Overall, you won't see too many plays at the D1 lacrosse level that encompass such advanced playmaking.

Reactions: Wagram97
You can see clearly from the video, in the face of pressure, he was quickly able to asses that he had two guys covering him leaving someone open after they jumped the pick. To Princeton's credit, it was the right guy to leave open, even with the picker falling down. The fatal flaw for Princeton was the defenseman was cheating slightly to the adjacent, which is where almost every midfielder in the country not named Shane Knobloch would have passed the ball. It's would have been the right play- you can spin it from there. However, Shane Knobloch had the ball. Between the adjacent D man cheating ever so slightly and the crease Dman having his stick on the wrong side of his body, Shane was able to, in a nano second, determine that and throw it to the far post spot where Kulas made a great finish with his offhand. This is an extremely high level play. The kind you typically only see at the professional level. I am not sure what is more impressive, the ability to see that pass, or the physical gifts to execute it. The finish again was very high level. Overall, you won't see too many plays at the D1 lacrosse level that encompass such advanced playmaking.

Outstanding analysis, thanks Cali.

Reactions: Caliknight
Great article on Inside Lacrosse on Rutgers after a fall visit. Really liked Stoller and after touring the facilities and area, had the below comment.

"More than that, though, my overriding takeaway from the visit was “Rutgers needs to host NCAA Championship Weekend again.”

Rutgers is uniquely situated and has the infrastructure already in place to host again, like we've done many x before.

Stoller is having a great fall. Our goalie position is in a good spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT