ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers men's basketball season-ticket prices rise as demand skyrockets. Find out how much

100% increase for Young Alumni tickets in the 300s, which I feel like is a quick way to lose potential season ticket holders... What was a 50% discount every year prior is now only a 12.5% discount.

I'm in a bit different position than most having been a non-traditional student, and I will obviously be renewing this year. I also get the fact that we need money so prices will go up. But I'd really be much more willing to pay $2500 for 2 seats in the low 200s than $800 ($900+ in a few years) in the 300s.

Last edited:
Anybody that truly wants to be in 200s or 100s… now is your time! A full reseating of the revamped RAC is coming for the 2025 or 2026 season.
But NOW is your time to increase donations, increase priority points. The reseating will presumably go in priority point order.
When it happens….. remember you were given ample time to prepare.

I don't know a single person dropping their tickets (and I know PLENTY who sit in the 100's). Just got off the phone with my dad; he already renewed his 2 (double in price). We knew this was gonna happen a while back and he just said "eh, I've had it CHEAP for a very , very long time in these seats." Now granted, he's 86 (will be 87 in November; bad back) so unless I take them over the following season those seats likely hit the open market, but, nonetheless just suck it up and enjoy!!!

Anyhow, while some will complain (obvious, it's the "Jersey Way!!!" I honestly believe this is how many in the 100's and lower 200's will view things but just my humble opinion (based on talking to many, many friends with season tix thus far, today...).

So much wealth in this area....

Maybe Rutgers got the RU Screw with its alumni with deep pockets and short arms

Reactions: ldwnmas
While it does seem a good time to raise prices, this may also decrease season ticket holder NIL donations.

I guess the NIL loss from this small slice of the donor pool isn’t significant

So much wealth in this area....

Maybe Rutgers got the RU Screw with its alumni with deep pockets and short arms
Schools with alumni that donate do so because their alumni have great nostalgic feelings about their time attending the school. Rutgers (as a whole) has done almost everything it could for decades to convey to its students that it really couldn't care less what their feelings towards the school is. The RU Screw is real. Contrary to popular belief, IT DOES NOT HAPPEN AT EVERY OTHER SCHOOL. For a large portion of the student body, the RU Screw eventually winds up being a deal breaker for future donations (it did for me).
Then there's the school's politics, which is an entire kettle of fish in and of itself. But athletics is a big part, too. The school never made an effort in athletics. Never. And because of that, except for like four seasons in the school's history, we've never had real success in football or mens basketball. Successful athletics is another thing that makes students feel nostalgia about their time in school. Nostalgia = $

John Goodman explained it in Revenge of the Nerds ...

We don't have alumni support like other schools because we don't have a history of winning like other schools. The support doesn't come first; it never does. The school must win first and that means the school must behave like winning is important (and spend like it is) before it can expect to make a return on its investment. Win first, then revenue.

We may win with this year with Harper and Bailey (and I hope we will), but then they'll leave and unless there is a 3rd Harper brother (whose best friend is also a Top 5 national recruit), the season after (and the season after that, etc) Rutgers is gonna find itself with an empty stadium on a lot of evenings because of the ticket price increase. This massive increase (before winning) is just another shortsighted version of the RU Screw.

Last edited:
Schools with alumni that donate do so because their alumni have great nostalgic feelings about their time attending the school. Rutgers (as a whole) has done almost everything it could for decades to convey to its students that it really couldn't care less what their feelings towards the school is. The RU Screw is real. Contrary to popular belief, IT DOES NOT HAPPEN AT EVERY OTHER SCHOOL. For a large portion of the student body, the RU Screw eventually winds up being a deal breaker for future donations (it did for me).
Then there's the school's politics, which is an entire kettle of fish in and of itself. But athletics is a big part, too. The school never made an effort in athletics. Never. And because of that, except for like four seasons in the school's history, we've never had real success in football or mens basketball. Successful athletics is another thing that makes students feel nostalgia about their time in school. Nostalgia = $

John Goodman explained it in Revenge of the Nerds ...

We don't have alumni support like other schools because we don't have a history of winning like other schools. The support doesn't come first; it never does. The school must win first and that means the school must behave like winning is important (and spend like it is) before it can expect to make a return on its investment. Win first, then revenue.

We may win with this year with Harper and Bailey (and I hope we will), but then they'll leave and unless there is a 3rd Harper brother (whose best friend is also a Top 5 national recruit), the season after (and the season after that, etc) Rutgers is gonna find itself with an empty stadium on a lot of evenings because of the ticket price increase. This massive increase (before winning) is just another shortsighted version of the RU Screw.
Talk about self hate. You’ve got problems or merely are just a troll. My goodness that long statement says you are not a fan but a RU hater. I literally know thousands of RU alumni and 10 family members have graduated RU. None come even close to having your opinion. And the Ru screw thing?? Totally BS.,Have grand kids who graduated large public universities and have gone through similar administrative red tape-- no big deal-- happens all over. By the way Iknow current students that love Ru and thousands of high schoolers are trying to get admitted to Ru .If you really graduated from RU with that opinion why the heck did you not transfer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
100% increase for Young Alumni tickets in the 300s, which I feel like is a quick way to lose potential season ticket holders... What was a 50% discount every year prior is now only a 12.5% discount.

I'm in a bit different position than most having been a non-traditional student, and I will obviously be renewing this year. I also get the fact that we need money so prices will go up. But I'd really be much more willing to pay $2500 for 2 seats in the low 200s than $800 ($900+ in a few years) in the 300s.
I'm sure if you elect not to renew someone else will buy your seat. At least you still have the option to get somewhat of a discount, not sure every school does that.

It sucks that prices are going up, but you had to see it coming. I'm sure they'll go up again next year if we have a good season.

I’ve come to the realization when the renovations are complete, I’ll likely be priced out

And I’m ok with that as that’s the cost of big time college athletics in this day and age, and to win it requires big $$

It happened with my Jets tickets when they went the PSL route

I love sitting in the low row 100s and usually attend games solo - so I’m not willing to move higher up in the 100s and not to the 200s

If i get priced out, ill scoop up single games via the message board, scalpers outside or the secondary market - there’s always seats available if you’re willing to pay

That’s what I did before I was able to get into the 100s - and it’s odviously easier with a single seat bs a pair

Reactions: bac2therac
I’ve come to the realization when the renovations are complete, I’ll likely be priced out

And I’m ok with that as that’s the cost of big time college athletics in this day and age, and to win it requires big $$

It happened with my Jets tickets when they went the PSL route

I love sitting in the low row 100s and usually attend games solo - so I’m not willing to move higher up in the 100s and not to the 200s

If i get priced out, ill scoop up single games via the message board, scalpers outside or the secondary market - there’s always seats available if you’re willing to pay

That’s what I did before I was able to get into the 100s - and it’s odviously easier with a single seat bs a pair

who knows maybe i'll get priced out one day too.. if that's the case then it means we're probably pretty damn good and i'll be able to watch on tv.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
If you really graduated from RU with that opinion why the heck did you not transfer.
1. Because Rutgers was 15 minutes drive from my house (and work),
2. Because I had friends at Rutgers,
3. Because I got in-state tuition rates, and
4. Because at that point in my life, I had never left NJ.

However, after graduation, I moved out-of-state to go to law school and that's when I realized other students (at other schools) don't put up with the bullshit the Rutgers administration and staff piles on its students (at least back in the 1990s). And that is how I know the RU Screw doesn't exist everywhere; that is a myth.

Only in NJ is it just an accepted part of life that the school you're paying thousands of dollars to is going to treat you poorly and you're just expected to put up with it.

Last edited:
What a guy-- so you used Ruygers to get a great education, at inexpensive costs, that enabled you to go to law school and ran out of NJ. Some would say you're an ingrate. I say you're full of it -- with your attitude Ru would have been better off if you had balls and followed your ' heart," and transferred out. You are a hater,/user and not a fan with a terrible attitude.Im doing myself a favor and ignoring you

Reactions: Smols
What a guy-- so you used Ruygers to get a great education, at inexpensive costs, that enabled you to go to law school and ran out of NJ. Some would say you're an ingrate. I say you're full of it -- with your attitude Ru would have been better off if you had balls and followed your ' heart," and transferred out. You are a hater,/user and not a fan with a terrible attitude.Im doing myself a favor and ignoring you
If Rutgers wants to refund my tuition money (with interest) it is welcome to.

Also, why did you put quotation marks around the word heart when I never used that word? Quotation marks are typically utilized when you are quoting something someone else said.

Reactions: RUGenius
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT