ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Players in the XFL

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
One month to go until the XFL season begins on February 8. Steve Beauharnais and Carlton Agudosi are with the Saint Louis Battle Hawks and Quentin Gause is with the Los Angeles Wildcats. George Johnson was drafted by the New Jersey Guardians, but I have not seen him on the roster.

Beauharnais and Girault were two guys I thought were going to be superstars after their freshman years. Both very solid, but never the best players on the field.

Reactions: miketd1
So no Rutgers players on the NY team?
I do not see any Rutgers players on the New Jersey Guardians roster, but did notice two from Monmouth. By the way those helmets look like about a zillion high schools logos across the country.

Not sure why this league would survive when the others before this failed (NJ Generals for example).

Reactions: Local Shill
I wouldn’t walk across the street to watch a game, would rather watch American Pickers find a turn of the century bicycle.
Just me....

Last edited:
Reactions: brianoc
They are starting the season too early. I know they don’t want football interest to fall off after the Super Bowl, but February is too cold in almost the entire country, even many southern states. Start mid to late March and for the games in the South when temps start to really get up there, play night games.

Not sure why this league would survive when the others before this failed (NJ Generals for example).
I wouldn’t walk across the street to watch a game and would rather watch American Pickers find a turn of the century bicycle.
Just me....
I enjoyed the concept of the USFL.

For what it was originally intended to be...not bad.

I actually went to a few of the Hitmen games in the previous incarnation of the XFL. It was fun. Tickets were inexpensive. Sure it was cold, but we survived.
Vince McMahon has put a lot of money into the league this time for sure and has hired some good football guys so hopefully it can last a few seasons at least. It's a good opportunity for players to get another shot at some exposure. Hopefully with the spread of sports gambling, that helps generate more interest. The XFL secured some good television contracts so it will get some decent exposure.

The USFL was doing well and had many star players until Trump lobbied to move the season from spring to fall. That ended the league.
I watched the 30 for 30 on this league. It was not doing that well, Jim Kelly was with the San Antonio team, he talks about the run on the bank to cash their paychecks every 2 weeks, if you came to late, the owners account was empty and the check bounced.
Steve Young was paid $1million - but not cash, in a long term annuity
League was not financially strong in any way

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster Baby
I watched the 30 for 30 on this league. It was not doing that well, Jim Kelly was with the San Antonio team, he talks about the run on the bank to cash their paychecks every 2 weeks, if you came to late, the owners account was empty and the check bounced.
Steve Young was paid $1million - but not cash, in a long term annuity
League was not financially strong in any way
The point is that it wasn’t going to fold. There was proof that another league could exist...unless it went head to head with the NFL.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I love the Philadelphia Stars in 84-85 seasons. They had a memorable comeback vs. Chicago Blitz. Jim Mora Sr was coach. Chuck Fusina QB. Kelvin Bryant RB. The spring USFL was a good league there for 2 years. Then the Stars moved to Baltimore.

Reactions: MJL_52
Beauharnais and Girault were two guys I thought were going to be superstars after their freshman years. Both very solid, but never the best players on the field.
They were coached well in HS and performed at a high and consistent level from Day 1 and throughout their careers. Two big reasons for 11-2 and the great defense in 2012:

What league had the NJ Knights? I had season tickets that first season. Was pretty fun and cheap. Nice cheerleaders from what I recall.

When I was a kid Carter Campbell moved into my town. He had played with the Giants but was just signed to play in the world football league. They gave him a rolls Royce to sign. We thought he was rich until we got older and realized he was living in a garden apartment. I think the league only lasted two years

The new league has some good rules. Combo of nfl and college with a little cfl me a touch of gamesmanship. Can go for 1,2 or 3 after a TD. Only one foot down on a catch out of bounds and you can make two forward passes. So trick plays will be a plenty.

Reactions: RU1977
I wouldn’t walk across the street to watch a game, would rather watch American Pickers find a turn of the century bicycle.
Just me....
"American Pickers" are the 2021 XFL expansion team (Location to be picked later)

I would watch the XFL if the players stood for our national anthem. Like in other sports. Won't if they dont.

I love the Philadelphia Stars in 84-85 seasons. They had a memorable comeback vs. Chicago Blitz. Jim Mora Sr was coach. Chuck Fusina QB. Kelvin Bryant RB. The spring USFL was a good league there for 2 years. Then the Stars moved to Baltimore.
I used to cheer for the Michigan Panthers with Bobby Hebert and Anthony Carter. In hindsight I should have been a Jersey Generals fan. I did go to some of their games though. One vs the Houston Gamblers with Jim Kelly and one vs. Philly. Of course a fight broke out in the stands during that one.

Who remembers the Jersey Jays,the Browns' farm team in Newark and Jersey City in 69-70?

I remember the Jersey Tigers who were affiliated with the Baltimore Colts and played at Williams Field in Elizabeth.
I was a big fan. The league was called the Atlantic Coast Football League and besides the Tigers and the Jays I remember some others.
Bridgeport Jets, Pottstown Firebirds and LI Bulls.

Jays played at Roosevelt Stadium in JC which was John Scher's outdoor concert venue in the 70s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT