ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Research skyrocketing

Rutgers always had research but getting into B1G conference also meant getting into the Academic consortium which has a research focus academically. This is worth it’s weight in gold as to what RU athletics opening the doors for this surge in research.

Maybe retitle...

Rutgers football cause research to skyrocket. Then plum might not be so miserable.

I posted about Rutgers research spending in March. Research spending is growing, not skyrocketing, and Rutgers has been in the 30s and 40s among US universities on research spending for the past decade. Here is what I wrote in March, with a link to the data:

According to the National Science Foundation data, Rutgers ranked 46th in research spending in 2022, the most recent year of available data. Rutgers ranked between Utah and UAB on this academic metric.

Research spending at Rutgers has declined slightly versus other universities. In 2013, the year before Rutgers joined the B1G, Rutgers ranked #40.

To be clear, Rutgers is a super university. But not because of B1G membership.

Reactions: rufancoe00
I posted about Rutgers research spending in March. Research spending is growing, not skyrocketing, and Rutgers has been in the 30s and 40s among US universities on research spending for the past decade. Here is what I wrote in March, with a link to the data:

According to the National Science Foundation data, Rutgers ranked 46th in research spending in 2022, the most recent year of available data. Rutgers ranked between Utah and UAB on this academic metric.

Research spending at Rutgers has declined slightly versus other universities. In 2013, the year before Rutgers joined the B1G, Rutgers ranked #40.

#29 per last year

Reactions: Fat Koko

Well, I'd say 35% over the 3 year period is much better than inflation rates, yearly pay raises, COLA, etc. I don't have stats on overall research spending in the US by year, but it seems much higher than I would expect. Hence, from my perspective it's my definition of skyrocketing.

Also, Rutgers has always been a research institution. However, the B1G's Academic Alliance immediately put Rutgers as lead on certain aspects of research. I'm going by recollection but I believe it was related to Pharma, Bio, DNA research given its involvement in that research and the hotbed of industry NJ. Having the full BIG Academic Alliance with Rutgers has to give it even more credibility and potential to gather more research. Hence, I've associated the 35% increase at least partially to that alliance....and we know RU would not be part of that alliance if its wasn't for Rutgers Athletics to lead the way to being invited into that alliance. Am I drawing my own conclusions? yes, but from the old saying, 'where there's smoke there's fire'. I would like to see a 'true journalist' investigate, find out more facts and write about it...but as we all know there aren't many 'true journalists' anymore...and those in NJ would rather bash the university for athletics instead of showing how the joined forces of athletics with academics leads to much more than one can do on it's own (e.g. 1+1=3).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT