ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers / Seton Hall back on -- Dec. 12th

Who cares? They're playing the game, that's all that matters. The rest is noise.
Unless the contract is extended past 2026 then we got a raw deal and just gave up a home game. I guess someone had to be the bigger man, now we know who the petulant child was.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I hope we at least held out for a commitment to open the upper deck to meet whatever demand there is from RU fans to attend. This should not be a sticking point since it appears to be all about revenue for the Hall.

This is only ok if the next two years the game is in Piscataway and then we go back to every other year. I have been on the bandwagon with Pat through everything except the Schiano delay, but this better turn out that we get something from this. We are the State University and we are in the Big Ten ! I could not care less if the Seton Hall series ended. Ohio State doesn’t give a crap what minor schools like Akron, Wright State, Bowling Green, etc. think. Start acting big time and tell the minor schools like Seton Hall what to do, not the other way around. We had to wait decades to be in the best academic-Athletic conference in the country. Start acting like we know what that means. Very disappointed in caving into some little school that no one outside of a few northern New Jersey counties has ever even heard of. We are the number 50 university in the world. Try to find Seton Hall after that. You better stock up on sandwiches until you find them. What is next, they demand we play them at their junior high school on campus gym !

Last edited:
Unless the contract is extended past 2026 then we got a raw deal and just gave up a home game. I guess someone had to be the bigger man, now we know who the petulant child was.
We did not give up a home game. Since the old Big East ended, we have played SHU 7 times - 4 at Rutgers and 3 at SHU. We had the first home game in the current series.

Reactions: RUPete
As others have said. Bad look for RU if they don't get anything in return. Can't keep negotiating from a position of weakness, especially when you have the juice!!!

We did not give up a home game. Since the old Big East ended, we have played SHU 7 times - 4 at Rutgers and 3 at SHU. We had the first home game in the current series.
Lou, SHU gave up their home game last year, 20/21, when they did not want to play. The 21/22 season was to be a RU home game. So yes RU gave up a home game.

Hobbs is a Setan Hall guy.. of course this would be done on at least even terms.

Oh.. SHU miss out on a home game getting revenue from Rutgers fans because of Covid? Nope.. cannot have that. Let's just make next year SHU's home game.

Does anyone here think if last year was our year for a home game that SHU would have canceled? Well.. maybe.. because we looked real tough early on.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Contract was extended to 2027 so last year’s game was just voided and we move on. Thanks for playing.

Reactions: gregkoko
The bigger school held the hammer in this case being RU....it is taking the high road and putting the petty stuff to the side. No excuses for either side, play the game and see what happens.
There's a big difference between taking the high road and not being petty, which would've been to not sue SHU for breach of contract, and then there's making poor business and financial decisions by giving up a home game, which I can't imagine any other B1G school would've done. SHU canceled last year's game because they were worried about losing the game and not making money last season, then lied about it and scheduled other OOC opponents, and now they're forcing us to lose a home game this season.
The contract was extended 1 year to add our home game, but it's irrelevant because SHU will never agree to play back to back seasons at The RAC, so the next contract will just start at SHU and we don't get that home game back.

Fornos is a 10 min walk to the Rock. Instead of complaining make sure you attend the game.

Reactions: RUPete
Big Lou, what if it isn’t a global epidemic? Like, say , just zombie attacks here and there lol

Just play the game. It is on my birthday so I hope I can get a nice present. Perhaps we asked SHU to ask the BE administrators that we can get a home game in yhe Gavitt games this fall. WE have been in the Gavitt games 3 times with 2 road games at St. John's and Depaul and only one home game with St. Johns. We also are on the short end in the ACC Challenge having played 4 away games and only 3 at home. So much for getting a fair shake.

No reason why over 5k RU fans can’t be inside The Rock.

They can turn it into a home game.

Hopefully, what RU got out of the deal is SHU agreeing to open up the entire Pru, unlike the last time (IIRC) when they had curtains over the upper deck. That will definitely work to RU's benefit, offsetting much of their home court advantage.

Reactions: geurdsy
Name ONE B1G school that kowtows to some nobody tiny private just because they happen to be in the same state? (Heck I challenge you to find one SEC or ACC school that does). The rivalry aspect of this game is meaningless. I get it…RU is in a state with few programs, but there are literally dozens of programs just as good or better than those clowns from whatever “Orange” they are…

We also know who the punk was.

The only good thing about this is that this is An additional easy to attend game in the state

I love how everyone says the rivalry is meaningless. Watch the last game we played vs them and tell.me that the players and fans are not passionate about the game.
That was 2 years ago, with RU off of 12 or 13 straight losing seasons, no NCAAS in sight and Greg Schiano in attendance.

Since then, RU has 2 straight NCAA caliber teams in a row (SHU finished 14-13 last year), RU has made the NCAAs (SHU made 4 straight tourneys yet is only 1-4 in those NCAAs) and RU has performed at the RAC in a similar fashion like they did vs SHU.....

Fans are acting like the SHU game in 2019-20, was some sort of outlier in terms of intensity, crowd noise, etc...SHU was no different than beating ranked Penn State, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan at MSG, Michigan at the RAC, Northwestern Nebraska Wisconsin etc....All of those games were performances that RU may not have won, but showed as much if not more vs SHU. There were at least 11K RU fans or so at MSG for Michigan.

If we can get 10 to 11K for Michigan at MSG, I'm fairly confident RU can bring a very good number to Newark....do that and let's play it with a 50/50 crowd there and 95/5 split in attendance at RAC.....😁

We need all the Quad 1 teams possible in the OOC schedule so just play the game.

I'm not gonna apologize about being unhinged on this response. Some of you are serious pussies (yeah I said it) on this situation,.

THEY canceled not us.
Want to add it to the "contract" do it at the end. ( your freakin pain in the ass in-laws didn't come over for the Holidays this year so next year is their turn again? lol).
We're the State University of New Jersey. Not SHU.
We're in the Big. Any other school in our conference doing this?

This BBall program needs to grow some freakin balls.
Decisions have consequences ..
Sorry, F Seton Hall. We didn't need your Ass last year to make the tourney so we can do it without you this year too.

Fire away.

Counterpoint: it's perfectly fine to play the game and has nothing to do with looking weak, lacking fortitude, or anything. We all know SHU messed it up last year. We all know SHU fans have a superiority complex despite the fact we've been to the same number of second rounds since 2007 and our athletic department was an active dumpster fire for most of those years.

Just beat them in Newark and let that do the talking.

Would love to see the game but not at the expense of caving on the principle. SHU ducked, bobbed, weaved…and came away with our home game. And on Dec 12 Sunday going against the NFL. BRILLIANT.

This is only ok if the next two years the game is in Piscataway and then we go back to every other year. I have been on the bandwagon with Pat through everything except the Schiano delay, but this better turn out that we get something from this. We are the State University and we are in the Big Ten ! I could not care less if the Seton Hall series ended. Ohio State doesn’t give a crap what minor schools like Akron, Wright State, Bowling Green, etc. think. Start acting big time and tell the minor schools like Seton Hall what to do, not the other way around. We had to wait decades to be in the best academic-Athletic conference in the country. Start acting like we know what that means. Very disappointed in caving into some little school that no one outside of a few northern New Jersey counties has ever even heard of. We are the number 50 university in the world. Try to find Seton Hall after that. You better stock up on sandwiches until you find them. What is next, they demand we play them at their junior high school on campus gym !
Bad comparison . Bowling green , Akron etc have not been historically better than Ohio state . Seton hall has been historically way better than rutgers over the past 40 years. Not even close.

So much silliness. Both teams will get the same number of home games with a full crowd. Nobody is the big winner or loser. Some of you would cut off your own noses to prove a point to your face.

ADVERTISEMENT