ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers/Seton Hall Game ?

If we end up with 22 Big Ten games, that is tough enough for me. Who knows how many games teams will end up playing with starts and stops as the season goes. Would really stink if there is no March Madness again.

I still hope we can play 20 BIG 10 games and 7 OOC games. If so I would hope we can play Syracuse and SHU in our OOC.

Reactions: shields
I consider the Hall is probably considered by many ( at least by me) as RU's main OOC rival and would like to see them play one game every year.
Cousidering both are considered major programs , an in-State rivalry is a gimme and shouldn't be ignored.

Reactions: Vegas pj
Absurd to suggest a neutral site game when it's up to the home team to ensure it gets scheduled. The efforts involved to "schedule", isn't that difficult to manage. Let's just call it what it is, SHU knows what it's up against.

To blame the finances and ask Murphy to facilitate a neutral site for "costs", is no different than asking Murphy to cover the "costs " for Prudential Center and this game.

SHU doesn't want to really play RU this year on their home court, because it's possible they could lose and would have to return to RU in 2021. Which could be 3 straight losses for SHU in a hard fought series and losing the upper hand going forward.....self-preservation at its best....

Jerry Carino tweeted that if game is played (appears remote - on life support per Jerry) - both teams are looking at game in January or February when conference byes occur.

Game's not going to happen IMHO. And I'm not a fan of OOC games in January / February.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I doubt it will happen. Seton Hall will play 5 league games in December so they should only have 15 league games after January 1. We will probably have 18 games after January 1 and it would be harder for us to find an open date. The game has been in December for a long time and it should stay that way. If SHU cannot find an open date at the beginning of December than so be it. They went and scheduled Penn State on December 6 which might have been a possible date. Otherwise we will just play in December 2021.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
at least shoe isn't hiding it...let them enjoy their pillow fights in the BE with "nova and the 9 dwarfs...

Reactions: RC71
The bottom line is seton hall...the school, fans AND players...are all a bunch of baby dicked cowards. Our players are all over twitter asking to play them and for the shu admin to contact our admin.

Shu fans...your team is pathetic.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Willard is a chicken sh*t. SHU fans should be embarrassed skirting this game if in fact it doesnt happen. SHU leads the series 40-31. Man up and play.

Last edited:
Here is the answer

tell them to Play or else the series is OVER for good.

we don’t need to play them. We Would like to play them...it’s good forbasketball in the state....but we don’t need them

but if they are going to be a PITA...then See ya...

This is one of few OOC games folks look forward to. SHU, if it wants to stay ‘big time’, needs this game because the level that of play in the Big East isn’t what it used to be. Aside from Nova, it’s not a destination conference for top players, and UCONN I think was irreversibly impacted by its years in the AAC. SHU is being very narrow-minded with this. Can’t be that hard to find a date to play, and if cost is a concern, play the game on campus. There likely won’t be crowds anyway due to the pandemic.

The reality is this is Rutgers’ biggest rivalry game in basketball currently, but if SHU doesn’t want to play we don’t need it ... it is getting to the point where RU b-ball is finally back, the right coach the right conference lots of $$$ the practice facility ... just like Temple and Uconn in football, RU isn’t the one that needs this game to stay relevant anymore

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
If SHU does not play this season, then either we play next year at our place and if no to that then end the rivalry and set up UCONN and Nova and consider SHU irrelevant

Yeah c'mon people. SHU will always be our rival. They're not irrelevant. We're not going to cast them aside. The only way this series would ever legitimately end is if the Big East imploded and SHU faded into obscurity

With Rutgers AD Hobbs previous ties to the City of Newark and Seton Hall University, the Seton Hall and Rutgers rivalry will not be ending anytime soon.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Play the damn game this year ! Both teams and fan bases are better off keeping this tradition alive and well. Seton hall seems so ready to get rid of it when all of a sudden it’s a favorable matchup to RU. Maybe it’s much more of a rivalry than they want to publicly admit
SHU hoops is turning into Princeton football in the 70s where they quit the series after RU starting getting the upper hand consistently. They can't handle the fact that Rutgers is about to leave them in the dust.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
My feeling is just play the game, at the Rock, in front of zero fans if necessary. And then back to RU next year.

I can certainly understand them feeling like it’s not fair that their home game would have no home fans. But you know what? 2020 sucks for everybody for a host of reasons. And we wouldn’t have any fans there either. The game would forever be known as the pandemic game at the Rock. We all need to get on with life as best we can.

This is one of few OOC games folks look forward to. SHU, if it wants to stay ‘big time’, needs this game because the level that of play in the Big East isn’t what it used to be. Aside from Nova, it’s not a destination conference for top players, and UCONN I think was irreversibly impacted by its years in the AAC. SHU is being very narrow-minded with this. Can’t be that hard to find a date to play, and if cost is a concern, play the game on campus. There likely won’t be crowds anyway due to the pandemic.
Seton Hall is playing Baylor and Louisville. In recent seasons they have played and beaten Maryland (twice) and Kentucky. I’m am.m not sure they need us.

SHU hoops is turning into Princeton football in the 70s where they quit the series after RU starting getting the upper hand consistently. They can't handle the fact that Rutgers is about to leave them in the dust.

the Princeton comparison flashed through my mind also, but it really is not valid...... Princeton remained at a lower level of
football, we went up the ladder, a bit.

the Hall is playing in a legit basketball conference and still getting quality basketball recruits.....

under these circumstances it would not be unusual for the home team to win most of the time.....

although I do believe RU is better than the Hall, playing them as the away team in a fan packed game would be tough....but doable....

Reactions: bigmatt718 and RUEd
They also beat Nova the past two seasons.

With that said, this rivalry must continue annually.

It's tremendous for NJ College Hoops
Oh, I agree. The game needs to happen every year. However, the thinking that we are passing them is a stretch.

Seton Hall is playing Baylor and Louisville. In recent seasons they have played and beaten Maryland (twice) and Kentucky. I’m am.m not sure they need us.
Not saying this to flame, but conference affiliation plays a role in future scheduling in my opinion. Regardless whether Power 5 wants to schedule Big East teams, the one guaranteed game should be the annual RU game. It is good for RU, SHU, and NJ basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT