ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers should honor the long stading season tix holders v. Mary

DennisHajekRC84

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2001
when my company has quarterly meetings for our Hq we put 500 people in our Atrium (thousands on virtual meeting) and listern to the fiscal results and strategic plan, etc. Our CEO or NA President always recognizes folks with significant years of service.

Rutgers ought to somehow find a way to provide folks (on line downloaded) with a scorecard in BIG numbers their years of season tickets (perhaps 10/15/20/25 etc) and have them all stand up holding their "numer" up...everyone with 10 or more stand up (round of applause) ok those of you with 15 or more keep standing (round of applause) , etc..you get it... till you get to those with the most years..and then give them something... (not a free coke or hot dog...maybe something as simple as a framed note of appreciation signed by Julie and Eddie)...

they deserve it and you just might keep of few more of them next year... (just 1 thought)
This post was edited on 2/23 6:33 PM by 1984

Good idea...I'd probably get the framed note! Seriously, it is a good idea, but not sure they could (or want to) pull it off in 7 days.

I've still had my seasons since the day the RAC opened in 77-78 with my dad

I have the first program at the Rac ...Rutgers vs the USSR

Done after 23 years until they play with some effort and desire.My two colleagues are done after 14 years.

Originally posted by Scarlet Shack:

really? USSR?

Originally posted by GL113:
Done after 23 years until they play with some effort and desire.My two colleagues are done after 14 years.
I'm keeping my tickets, but have been a no show in 3 straight and have ZERO interest in Maryland game. I actually flipped back and forth between golf and the Indiana game on Sunday.

Only other year I lost interest was Rosario's last year. His selfishness and defensive intensity drove me crazy.

Full discloser so as not to appear self serving here. While I was to every single home game while on the banks (77-83) and had season tix for several years in the early 90's while my company sponsored RU FB and BB...I haven't been a season tix holder since then and buy about 6-8pairs per year to attend.

No way would I invest in them with this product...I'd rather put the cash as a dedicated fiscal gift to support the program.

I am in awe of the folks that continue to buy season tix given the history of this program

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

Originally posted by Scarlet Shack:

really? USSR?
yes, I was there, the USSR, who was traveling around the USA playing exhibition games....

.I believe Rutgers won the game....the only detail I remember is that USSR had one of their refs for the game, and the guy kept making outrageous calls against RU.....after a while the US refs
started to override his calls......it was pretty funny to watch..

I believe this was their starting forward, had a double double that night..

ivan-drago2_crop_north.jpg

Originally posted by 1984:

when my company has quarterly meetings for our Hq we put 500 people in our Atrium (thousands on virtual meeting) and listern to the fiscal results and strategic plan, etc. Our CEO or NA President always recognizes folks with significant years of service.

Rutgers ought to somehow find a way to provide folks (on line downloaded) with a scorecard in BIG numbers their years of season tickets (perhaps 10/15/20/25 etc) and have them all stand up holding their "numer" up...everyone with 10 or more stand up (round of applause) ok those of you with 15 or more keep standing (round of applause) , etc..you get it... till you get to those with the most years..and then give them something... (not a free coke or hot dog...maybe something as simple as a framed note of appreciation signed by Julie and Eddie)...

they deserve it and you just might keep of few more of them next year... (just 1 thought)
This post was edited on 2/23 6:33 PM by 1984
That's a great idea.

Every program honors those that donate the most $$$ but having a "RU Hoop Fan Hall of Fame" and/or honoring them with plaques, small gifts (i.e. special RU pins that notes their years of support, i.e. 10 year, 20 year, etc...) as sometimes its the small things that go a very long way.

Example:

RU Hoop Pin to note 10 year support.

Ruby (red like like stone) added to RU Hoop Pin to note 20 year support.

2nd Ruby (red like stone) added to RU Hoop Pin to note 30 year support.

My RX company did something similar in the past with their work force.

This post was edited on 2/24 9:07 AM by Knight_Light

The USSR game brings up another memory. Do you remember when we played China at the Garden? Regulation ended in an 84-84 tie, I believe, and the Chinese coach decided to leave it at that and take his team back to the locker room. I think he was quoted as saying it was an "honorable way to end the game." They had this huge guy, 7-7 or 7-8 (Miu Tai Chu?) I think who could barely run up and down the floor.

The new management of the Devils did this last year for long term season ticket holders. They had a nice buffet before a game, mentioned us during a game during the year on the jumbotron, and gave us a nice personalized game jersey in the fall. $$$$

Twenty plus years as a season ticket holder.
I have difficulty getting up for these games.
Now I hear that Rutgers has no immediate plans to remedy this situation for years to come.
I should renew my tickets why?

Originally posted by RUfan1979:

Now I hear that Rutgers has no immediate plans to remedy this situation for years to come.
I'm right there with you. It kills me to have to give them up because this is the first team and sport that ever rooted for, but what's the point now?

Showing appreciation to long standing season ticket holders would be a worthwhile thing to do but I doubt it will happen.I remember for football there used to be a special event in a tent prior to a game where there was catered food and speeches by Rutgers administrators.

Beyond that, they really need to create some bonuses for Season Ticket Holders going forward. As I read this thread, it seems that what remaining long-time ticket holders there are, they're dropping. So while we thought the Season Ticket base has hit bottom..it appears next year might be that.

I myself am on my 2nd year and (strictly a guess) but I'm guessing I'm one of the few new season tickets within the past year or 2. I'm guessing that their doors aren't being knocked down for new season tickets either. I think going forward though, you'll have a morgue for the non--conference season and then you'll continue to see visiting fans be quite a vocal minority when it comes to Big Ten play.

Originally posted by RUfan1979:

Because someday they will turn it around and you will still have those great courtside seats. BTW, when this happens, they will rip out your seats and make them club seats and charge you $100+/seat plus make you buy some inedible food that you don't want with the ticket. $$$$

Originally posted by flyrradio:
Beyond that, they really need to create some bonuses for Season Ticket Holders going forward. As I read this thread, it seems that what remaining long-time ticket holders there are, they're dropping. So while we thought the Season Ticket base has hit bottom..it appears next year might be that.

I myself am on my 2nd year and (strictly a guess) but I'm guessing I'm one of the few new season tickets within the past year or 2. I'm guessing that their doors aren't being knocked down for new season tickets either. I think going forward though, you'll have a morgue for the non--conference season and then you'll continue to see visiting fans be quite a vocal minority when it comes to Big Ten play.
You have not done enough penance to get a say in this matter :-) Twenty plus year-buyers get the say here. The dark-side of all this is that as soon as Rutgers gets things turned around, the Athletic Dept will re-do the priority point scheme, and all the new money people will get the best seats and the long-term buyers will be bumped back to the peanut gallery to contemplate how the screw jobs never end.

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:

You have not done enough penance to get a say in this matter :-) Twenty plus year-buyers get the say here. The dark-side of all this is that as soon as Rutgers gets things turned around, the Athletic Dept will re-do the priority point scheme, and all the new money people will get the best seats and the long-term buyers will be bumped back to the peanut gallery to contemplate how the screw jobs never end.

I should live so long to see that

Oh trust me I'm not looking to be grouped into the same dedicated individuals who have been ticket holders since the last time the team made the NCAA tournament..christ I was only 9 at that point. I converted to season tickets since I was going to enough individual games that I said..the heck with it, I'm getting them.

I guess my fear is that, even the people you could count on to buy year in and year out are starting to waver. So how do you keep that same customer? How do you get a new customer? How do you compete with the convenience of just watching the game at home? Football has done a good job this year with their month of rewards for renewing season ticket holders. I think that would be a start for basketball but quite frankly this fanbase and football are miles apart. More should be done. I liked the idea that one poster had (or maybe I'm inventing it) of having a combined men's and women's ticket for a reduced price. I'd be in for that but beyond that, look at what Purdue is doing for their Football program. lowered their prices and gave all ticket holders something like $70 concession credit.

Originally posted by Mr_Twister:

this this this will happen, its already been said

Have only had season tix for just over 10 years, but early on it was nice to see the same faces year after year in the seats ahead, behind, etc. Now 90% of the section is visiting fans and hardly recognize anyone. Kinda sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT