ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers teams up with Ventura Partners

It’s a CYA insurance policy in case we hire the next George O’Leary or Mike Rice.

it’s fine — standard procedure, esp. if the next hire is as expensive as many of us think it will be.

Two words...

YJPPETRINO-jumbo.jpg

I don't have warm and fuzzies over their previous work but I guess it makes sense not use the gems that handed us Ash. Lord knows who would have advised anyone to keep Flood before that.

Not sure we need vetting for the very few guys who we should even be talking to. Urban, Schiano and maybe Jones.

If we are seriously going to be offering a job to someone who needs vetting, he will be unknown to most of us, and therefore we shouldn't even be looking at him. We are screwed if the guys we are going after seriously need to be vetted. This is going to lead to Ash Part Two.

You still need to vet known candidates, because you don't know if they have hidden skeletons in their closets. But you don't need a search firm to do the vetting, that can be done internally*. The real purpose of the search firm is to confidentially reach out to candidates.

*Normally vetting can be done internally. But at Rutgers, you have an athletic department that failed to check with the registrar before issuing a press release saying that Eddie Jordan graduated from Rutgers when he did not complete his degree.

Just so long as Hobbs doesn't base this hire off the quality of the candidates interview over their body of work we'll be slightly less likely to make the wrong hire.

I bet you that the trolls we comment with "my tax money is paying for this? derp! Time to defund Rutger!"
I'm kind of wondering about the total cost being right.
Nov.2019 to Nov. 2020 doesn't add up if Hobbs hires someone for the 2020 season
If Ventura is starting right way, are they working for free now or waiting to start if Schiano doesn't accept by Nov. 1st .[roll]
Then Nunizo will remain interim HC till Nov. of 2020:Sly:

Not disputing the deal with Ventura probably will be around $88,000 for the search, it's just the one year timeline I don't understand.

:WooHoo:If they help find a good one, consider it a bargain.

To the posters here who seem to have some knowledge of how dealing with these firms works. Am I correct in believing that
A) these firms are more geared toward being a filter for behind the scenes contacts than they are for vetting. And
B) if Hobbs wants to stick to his timeline of naming a coach at the end of the season we should expect much of the preliminary work should be done within two or three weeks and live interviews or more public information will be available. Or
C) the process will stay relatively quiet and behind closed doors until a decision is finally made?

These are the guys that reach out to a coach’s agent’s intermediary so everyone can deny any interest or contact between Rutgers and a target.

it ain’t that complicated.
Bingo. And as I was saying before, who in the athletics department is able to execute a hire of this magnitude, where there are millions in salaries, hundreds of millions in future expenses and revenues, donor ties, political ties, big ten conference and tv revenue ties, lawyers, agents, media, boards of directors, potential schools and ADs from which coach or coaches are coming...

these hires only happen once a decade if you’re lucky (three times if you’re Rutgers), so you outsource.

So why didn’t you do this last December or three weeks ago? SMH.

As the great Gretzky once said,”Mickey Mouse” organization.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
You, and sir post a lot, have no idea how things work, or can work, or what experience some have. Some of us do have experiential understanding, and realize clearly to place all of your posts in perspective, as it's clear you both post so authoritatively on areas you clearly have no experience in.

I know, it's a message board and a lot of bravado from some and cutting and pasting drivel from the high volume poster continues to be churned as if it's full of knowledge, but again the saying it's so doesn't make it so. That's not speculation.

Getting the right ceo is of interest to me. Educating the unsophisticated who are not savvy enough to absorb in areas they don't really know about is not something desired, especially with the caustic no nothing but pretend I do, idiocracy like vibe that's becoming ever more prevalent here.

So go ahead and keep up the multiple posting to show that your guessing is how you think things might be. Very astute, and you'll be left to it. Don't expect others to not see the nonsense baseless puffing.

So, to sort of distill the above down to a functional point, you are saying that you have personal experience in negotiating service contracts for or with large institutions, and that in your experience the process typically took less than 2 weeks. So much so, that the way this process has played out has led you to conclude that Hobbs is totally unprepared and has totally failed in his task.

Pray tell...how long would you say the contracts you were personally involved with took, on average?

To the posters here who seem to have some knowledge of how dealing with these firms works. Am I correct in believing that
A) these firms are more geared toward being a filter for behind the scenes contacts than they are for vetting. And
B) if Hobbs wants to stick to his timeline of naming a coach at the end of the season we should expect much of the preliminary work should be done within two or three weeks and live interviews or more public information will be available. Or
C) the process will stay relatively quiet and behind closed doors until a decision is finally made?

A) Correct. Their big value is for behind the scenes contacts. Although the search firm will do vetting, I believe that Rutgers should also do their own vetting.

B) I doubt you will see public information during the interim. I also believe that a lot of the interim work will be behind the scenes because active coaches won't actually interview with Hobbs now.

C) From what we know of Hobbs, there won't be any leaks, so you're not going to hear anything until just before an announcement is made. It is possible that someone may throw up a trial balloon, but that doesn't seem like Hobbs' style.

I heard that this search firm was founded by the late Bill Walsh and one of its board members is Barry Alvarez. So what could go wrong.

Reactions: Local Shill
But really more cya than anything. Like hiring McKinsey or an investment bank in the real world.

I work at an major international financial services company and was personally involved with working with the McKinsey "consultants" (amd adopted in-house implementation coaches) that upper management definitely spent a ton of money on.

If we see a picture of Hobbs standing in front of a white board talking about daily morning huddles......we're doomed.

Hobbs is again full of crap.

“Among the services and deliverables to be provided by Ventura Partners are leadership identification, market mapping and intelligence, outreach, internal search assistance, reference review, staff development, and industry consulting.”

What a load. We are doomed!

I would have liked to hear "guy most likely to win football games."

as mentioned, the search firm can confidentially talk to the agents of existing coaches where Hobbs would not be able to. Also, it is easier to keep it under wraps if done by a company not in NJ. Also, you won't have people catching Hobbs at the airport boarding a plane for Columbus, Tuscaloosa, or Mississippi (the search form will be doing that)..

Less leaks this way.

+1
Do you really need consultants to call Schiano?
Actually, yes.

If Schiano isn't interested, you don't want Hobbs reaching out to him directly. You potentially end up in the situation that Grunninger had when he hired Bannon, and 4 coaches turned him down directly and the public story was no one wants to coach at Rutgers and Grunninger had to settle on his 5th choice.

Pay attention to the people who know what they are talking about.

Those of us who work for large corporations know this dance already.

For example, even if Hobbs wants Schiano and no one else he would still have to hire a search firm and still interview others just to cross his t's and dot his i's.

That is just how it is done for many reasons.

so basically we are retaining the services of the fk tards that gave us ashole in the first place... yea... i'm sure nothing can go wrong!!!.. if that stupid prick AD we have would read these boards he could see the coaches the fanbase wants(don't include sheono nut huggers) a lot of good names have been brought up that don't start with an S and end with an O

PURE FKING GENIUS!!!!!! WAY TO GO SETON HALL GUY!!!!!!!!
It's odd seeing folks complain that the athletic department is run badly and then when something, anything, happens start pining for the days when the athletic department was run like a failing mom and pop store. And that leads to complaints that the athletic department should consult fan message boards for intelligence on coaching candidates, but only some subjective subset of what's written there, and seek no intelligence on things like the market for contracts on certain types of potential candidates. If only Hobbs would just meet the potential candidates in a diner, like Grunninger, I'm sure it would all work out. It's appropriate that the post crying that the athletic department should take advice from internet message boards is at the same time a post that illustrates why the athletic department should not take advice from internet message boards.

Actually, yes.

If Schiano isn't interested, you don't want Hobbs reaching out to him directly. You potentially end up in the situation that Grunninger had when he hired Bannon, and 4 coaches turned him down directly and the public story was no one wants to coach at Rutgers and Grunninger had to settle on his 5th choice.
Who gives a shit? RU blows, will anyone not come to RU if GS tells Hobbs no? That's silly.

Who gives a shit? RU blows, will anyone not come to RU if GS tells Hobbs no? That's silly.

Devil's advocate. Yes, it could potentially turn some folks off. Considering his past experience here at RU, some might start thinking "Gee, he must know something that I don't about the organization. Maybe I should stay away and wait for a more desirable opportunity"

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (October 14, 2019) –Rutgers University Director of Athletics Pat Hobbs announced today the retention of Ventura Partners, a leading executive search and talent management agency with a diverse range of consulting and intelligence services.

"We are excited to be working with Ventura Partners,” said Hobbs. “They provide a unique range of services, including talent acquisition and development. We will begin working together immediately to ensure excellent leadership for our football program. They will also be working with us throughout the engagement on strengthening our human resources and providing market data and intelligence.”

Among the services and deliverables to be provided by Ventura Partners are leadership identification, market mapping and intelligence, outreach, internal search assistance, reference review, staff development, and industry consulting.

“Ventura Partners, a national executive search and talent management firm with a specialty practice in intercollegiate athletics, has been retained by Rutgers University to assist in the search,” said Chad Chatlos, Partner, Sports and Entertainment at Ventura. “We will work closely with Pat Hobbs, the Director of Athletics, and his leadership team on the appointment.”

Hobbs covering his ass.....waste of time and money!

Who does not want this guy helping Hobbs search for a coach?

http://ventura-partners.com/our-team-2-3-3/eric-hyman/

Known as a man with high integrity, a passion for placing the student-athlete first, and building first class facilities, Eric Hyman has been involved in intercollegiate athletics for over 40 years. A five-time Director of Athletics at the highest levels of competition, Hyman has built a solid reputation for being an elite leader at the eight universities and conferences where he has served.

Highlights:

• Hired and mentored elite coaches including national coaches of the year Gary Patterson (TCU), Dawn Staley (South Carolina), Tracy Smith (ASU), and Jim Schlossnagle (TCU.)
  • Elevated the athletic programs at TCU, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Miami and VMI with record fund-raising and facilities upgrades.
    Involved in the $485 million redevelopment of Texas A&M’s football stadium, Kyle Field. The project was the largest stadium redevelopment in college football history.
  • Named Athletics Director of the Year in 2003/2004 and Regional Athletics Director of the year twice in 2010/2011 by NACDA.
  • He has been a featured speaker at numerous conventions, including the NCAA Champions Forum, to speak on diversity issues in athletics; and the American Football Coaches’ Association, to guide aspiring assistant coaches on how to become a head coach.
  • Has had several Heisman Trophy finalists including the winner in 2012 while at Texas A&M.
  • Academic success by student-athletes has increased through APR/GPA everywhere Eric has served.
  • Has developed comprehensive, long-term Strategic Plans for his departments to achieve defined, attainable goals aligning fund-raising and all external efforts with the universities.

THE HYMAN FILE

Athletics Work History
2016: Auburn University, (COO, Interim)
2012-2016: Texas A&M University (AD)
2005-12: University of South Carolina (AD)
1998-05: TCU (AD)
1995-98: Miami University (AD)
1990-95: North Carolina State University (Executive Associate AD)
1984-90: Virginia Military Institute (AD)
1982-84: Furman University (Associate AD)
1975-82: Furman University (Assistant Football Coach)
1973-75: Furman University (Graduate Assistant Football Coach)

Education:
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC – Bachelor’s Degree in Education 1973
Furman University, Greenville, SC – Master’s Degree in Education Administration 1975[/vc_column_text]

Reactions: Knight Shift
Hobbs can blame Ventura when the new guy fails or if they are the ones who recommend Schiano, saying they did a thorough search

Who does not want this guy helping Hobbs search for a coach?

http://ventura-partners.com/our-team-2-3-3/eric-hyman/

Known as a man with high integrity, a passion for placing the student-athlete first, and building first class facilities, Eric Hyman has been involved in intercollegiate athletics for over 40 years. A five-time Director of Athletics at the highest levels of competition, Hyman has built a solid reputation for being an elite leader at the eight universities and conferences where he has served.

Highlights:

• Hired and mentored elite coaches including national coaches of the year Gary Patterson (TCU), Dawn Staley (South Carolina), Tracy Smith (ASU), and Jim Schlossnagle (TCU.)
  • Elevated the athletic programs at TCU, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Miami and VMI with record fund-raising and facilities upgrades.
    Involved in the $485 million redevelopment of Texas A&M’s football stadium, Kyle Field. The project was the largest stadium redevelopment in college football history.
  • Named Athletics Director of the Year in 2003/2004 and Regional Athletics Director of the year twice in 2010/2011 by NACDA.
  • He has been a featured speaker at numerous conventions, including the NCAA Champions Forum, to speak on diversity issues in athletics; and the American Football Coaches’ Association, to guide aspiring assistant coaches on how to become a head coach.
  • Has had several Heisman Trophy finalists including the winner in 2012 while at Texas A&M.
  • Academic success by student-athletes has increased through APR/GPA everywhere Eric has served.
  • Has developed comprehensive, long-term Strategic Plans for his departments to achieve defined, attainable goals aligning fund-raising and all external efforts with the universities.

THE HYMAN FILE

Athletics Work History
2016: Auburn University, (COO, Interim)
2012-2016: Texas A&M University (AD)
2005-12: University of South Carolina (AD)
1998-05: TCU (AD)
1995-98: Miami University (AD)
1990-95: North Carolina State University (Executive Associate AD)
1984-90: Virginia Military Institute (AD)
1982-84: Furman University (Associate AD)
1975-82: Furman University (Assistant Football Coach)
1973-75: Furman University (Graduate Assistant Football Coach)

Education:
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC – Bachelor’s Degree in Education 1973
Furman University, Greenville, SC – Master’s Degree in Education Administration 1975[/vc_column_text]
Eric - "Hello Pat, nice to meet you"
Hobbs - "Nice to meet you as well, can you help me out?"
Eric - "Sure, give Schiano a call"
Hobbs - "Okay"
Eric - "Where is my $88,000?"

The idiocy of this fan base... it's really discouraging.
There is a certain segment of idiots.

There is also a segment that is so angry at Hobbs, they are looking for any reason to bash him.

And there is a segment that believes that Schiano wants the job and that Schiano is the only choice, so Hobbs should just reach out to Schiano and offer him whatever he wants to take the job. To that segment, retention of a search firm means their wish may not happen.

There is a certain segment of idiots.

There is also a segment that is so angry at Hobbs, they are looking for any reason to bash him.

And there is a segment that believes that Schiano wants the job and that Schiano is the only choice, so Hobbs should just reach out to Schiano and offer him whatever he wants to take the job. To that segment, retention of a search firm means their wish may not happen.
For those who wish the best available with what Rutgers probably ( not outstanding but fairly competitive for 2nd their candidates) offers is hired, partnering up with a search firm is reassuring. If Rutgers offers top dollar Ventura will weed out the pretenders a lot better than Hobbs probably would be able to do
Schiano might be the end result of the search, but that will only happen after other qualified candidates are checked out.
Could be we're taking for granted Greg would take the job if offered and not taking into account he might not want to return to coaching yet or ever.
Also must consider , after the search firm looks into every possibility, Schiano might not be n their list of candidate Rutgers needs to talk to because he didn't make the cut.
Making the anti-Greg crowd happy.

Also must consider , after the search firm looks into every possibility, Schiano might not be n their list of candidate Rutgers needs to talk to because he didn't make the cut.

I don't believe that Schiano is the best coach that Rutgers can get. Nonetheless, if Ventura determines that Schiano doesn't make the cut, Hobbs should ask for an explanation of why Schiano doesn't make the cut. If Hobbs doesn't agree with the explanation, he can consider Schiano anyway.

Reactions: Wolv RU
I'm fine with this and think its a smart move. Picking a winning football coach is not an everyday activity. You want someone that does it more than once a year. And if we do use these consultants for more than coaching hires, I'm sure these people are more qualified than Nelligan sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT