ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers University to raise costs for tuition, fees, meals and housing

Tampa, Clemson and Tennessee are 3 schools that I hear often from my kids friends.

Doesn't anybody ski anymore? UVM was a popular choice at one point, particularly for upscale NJ residents. Current average SAT is 1270 (presumably OOS would be higher) and OOS tuition is around 44k

Reactions: Knight Shift
Doesn't anybody ski anymore? UVM was a popular choice at one point, particularly for upscale NJ residents. Current average SAT is 1270 (presumably OOS would be higher) and OOS tuition is around 44k
I think a lot of these southern schools are spending money targeting NJ students. Maybe they have a similar marketing campaign to Rowan?

Probably too high an academic standard for Brad and Chad, and not enough frat bro culture.

Tampa 1160
Clemson 1310
Tennessee 1240

Why anyone would choose over RU is a LMAO.
The one kid that accepted to Tampa didn’t apply to RU. Don’t think she would have been accepted. They other kid also didn’t apply to RU and didn’t get into Tampa. Don’t think he would have been accepted to RU either.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Sure, but then you go to Colorado.

For various reasons RU was the right school for me and my siblings and it was the right school for two of our combined eleven kids. The other nine went out of state. Our Rutgers educations made it possible for us to enjoy good careers and afford to send our kids to the schools that were the best fit for each of them. In time, I believe that a lot of people with strong opinions today about sending their future kids to RU because of the perceived value will find that their opinions will change as they realize there’s a lot more than sticker price and rankings that go into making the college decision.

You ever see the girls at those schools? Education can be defined in different ways…

I would suggest anyone going to Tampa was probably not getting into Rutgers anyway. A degree might open some doors at Disney, but would do nothing for you if you come back north.

I’ll be the first one to say it’s not all about cost. It should be a factor, big factor. But an equal important factor is fit. It’s not value if your kids hate it and does poorly in school.

It's a good school (average SAT 1300) with a very nice campus, and located in DC. She liked it, so that's cool.

My niece (Mass resident) went there. Liked it, and I was impressed with the internships available to undergrads.

As long as the government keeps subsidizing the schools and they can keep raising tuition and fees without limits, there will be no interest in managing expenses, controlling payrolls, etc.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
As long as the government keeps subsidizing the schools and they can keep raising tuition and fees without limits, there will be no interest in managing expenses, controlling payrolls, etc.

And as long as universities have no equity at stake in the student loans with a risk of loss/default.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
And as long as universities have no equity at stake in the student loans with a risk of loss/default.
Rutgers has a ton of bloat, this goes beyond gov't and agree with you here. Schools need a larger stake and any school with endowment over 1billion should be forced to allocated 20% of that tuition and fees costs imho.

for crying out loud, Harvards maturity rolls move markets and that should not happen. Too big

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Rutgers has a ton of bloat, this goes beyond gov't and agree with you here. Schools need a larger stake and any school with endowment over 1billion should be forced to allocated 20% of that tuition and fees costs imho.

for crying out loud, Harvards maturity rolls move markets and that should not happen. Too big

Private foundations are required to distribute 5% annually, which is more reasonable as endowments are supposed to be long term "investments". Chuck Grassley proposed that get extended to universities back in 2007, but that got sidetracked when a) Ivies/Stanford/Duke bumped up financial aid and b) the Great Recession hitting endowments.

You know who else has no reason to back away from student loans. Banks and their investors. They collect fees and the principal is guaranteed by the Feds. All profit, no risk.

You know who else has no reason to back away from student loans. Banks and their investors. They collect fees and the principal is guaranteed by the Feds. All profit, no risk.

You really need to watch this from 2019

Reactions: RUTGERS95
we should have a down vote option

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT