ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Michigan 1/21/24

Started off 0-4 free throws Adams hit 2 so now 2/6.
5 to
MI got a couple of lucky bounces leading to 4 second chance points

30-34 after 3. RU 0/9 from 3, only 38% shooting, but MI 29%, if scoreboard is correct.
Adams sat most of 3rd with 4 fouls. Thompson also sat?

Huerter closed gap with first made 3, then a bad stretch 34-43 with 6:08 left

Went to game. Adams bb IQ is bad. has three fouls and immediately goes to basket and charges. Think please.

Reactions: ChasRC69
More growing pains!

The way the game started, I was extremely worried about it being a 40 pt blowout. Looks like the coaches made an emphasis of stepping up the defense. It helped a lot this version of Michigan is not very good at all. They just happen to have an All-American caliber guard in L. Phelia. She got them points one way or another whenever they just had to have them to hold us off.

Hopefully, the team sees that all out effort on defense can keep them in position to win games. They still have to smooth out the offense..

My concerns about a poor performance were mostly focused on the effect it might have had on M. Blakes consideration of us. I'm proud of how our young ladies gave their all and played to win the game (not just give a good showing).

The sizable, lively crowd was a welcome sign that better days are within reach, closer than some may think. Just as Coach Grentz stated in a courtside interview, ........... with exciting players who have strong fundamentals, you can pack the place every night and win.

That's where we are right now. We got our elite PG in Kiyomi,,.....M Blakes is a perfect compliment to her as an elite 2- guard. Kaylene could play the other wing. Plenty of depth and interchangeability as our current young guards should be stronger and much more sharp. Bates, Perkins, and Adams playing stretch #4 spots (Bates and Perkins both getting time on the wing also), and Chyna along with either an elite post HS recruit or a strong portal pickup(6'5"ish)........we'll be back in business🤩

Come on Mikayla!!! Help Kiyomi and the rest of the Scarlet Knights pack the RAC every night in battles versus the JuJu Watkins', KiKi Rice's, etc.

Last edited:
Went to game. Adams bb IQ is bad. has three fouls and immediately goes to basket and charges. Think please.
On that play, when she drove, she drew players from Huerter, who was wide open in the corner. A pass to her was the play to make. The biggest problem with this team is their tendency to telegraph many of their passes. I'll be 77 in March and I think I could get several steals a game just by playing the passing lanes. This game an easily winnable game.

They still haven't committed to playing the connected style that Fairfield and Iowa ran to perfection on them. Bball savvy is not where it needs to be (except for KB, and somewhat Antonia). KB has played some minutes in her career. Antonia has good court vision, she just needs to keep working to sharpen her fundamentals. She gets down on herself too easily after a bad play. When she straightens out her shot to where it is consistent 30-40% from three and becomes strong enough to finish drives, we will be a tough team to guard. Teams are not really guarding her rught now. Funny thing is, she, IMO, has the most natural PG mentality of all our guards. Lot's of potential there.

Last edited:
Destiny is just trying too hard at times. I hope she doesn't feel like she has to put the team on her back and be the savior of the program. She may feel pressure to live up to the excitement that surrounded her transfer back home.

Seems like her time in NC did not really advance the qualities that make her potentially a WNBA player. She seems to be rushing to make up for lost time right now. Watching her in HS(provided it's lesser competitive level), her potential to be a versatile player capable of playing multiple positions was clear as day. It's what made her NJ Player of the Year and a McDs AA. She was running the floor, dominating inside, hitting from the 3pt line ......... she did it all.

She seemingly went to a place that didn't realize what she can be as a player. She's just now getting that work and development. Hence, the travelling calls and charges as she is learning how to get her footwork down. She appears to be really hungry to get there, so I have no doubt that this season, along with a strong summer playing with her brother and the guys will go a long way toward developing her skills and bball savvy for a real shot at sticking at the WNBA level.

Just watched the postgame presser:

As always, very impressed with Coach's responses. Happy to see her get a little fiery. She's always so composed and somewhat laid back. I think letting some of that out on the sideline (while being under control of her behavior, of course....not saying, she should go Bobby Knight on anybody), is the fuel our young players may need sometimes to get the message of how important and urgent her calls for defensive intensity and attention to detail really are.

During a couple of our lopsided losses I was a bit concerned about her body language. Those were the times I thought she may be feeling the pressure of an anxious fanbase. as she seemed to be searching for answers.

I felt like she was spot on with all of her comments and I applaud her for pushing back on some of the chatter that I know she can't help but hear. This build is progressing slower than we the starved fanbase want, but a person of her intelligence, character, and seemingly, passion for developing well-rounded student-athletes fits perfectly in regard to the main idea of what today's 50 Year celebration of RUWBB was about. I would think that those qualities should afford her the fair opportunity to see about attaining the other aspect of today's celebration ........... THE WINNING!!

Everybody wanted the hot coach as the next coach. For many on here, it was a Courtney Banghart or a Shauna Green. No, Coquese was not in that category. but that's only because she spent the past few years as an assistant instead of the HC in the spotlight. Yes, the hot coaches have it going with the recruits following them, while Coquese has to keep plugging away with the recruits and teach them who she is. They're too young to know who she is. As they find out, one-by-one, word will spread and it will pick up. It's happening already, as we followed up our high profile transfers with arguably the best PG in the Class of '24.

It's just gonna take time!!

Mikayla can shorten that time tremendously though! 🙏🙏🙏

Reactions: Esipos1
Surprised to see the game this close. RU is the only winless WBB team in the B1G. Next game is vs 1-6 Wisconsin (but on the road). Might have a chance in that one

Reactions: MADHAT1
Surprised to see the game this close. RU is the only winless WBB team in the B1G. Next game is vs 1-6 Wisconsin (but on the road). Might have a chance in that one
Indeed.

Regarding the closeness of the game, Michigan is having a strange season, and to be blunt just hasn't always played very well. I would have expected a larger margin, but, in the end, less surprising than in other years I suppose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT