ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Michigan / Game Thread

I'd love to be a QB on this team. Don't have to produce, and get a free education at a great university.

Gio can't sniff the field
Rettig can't sniff the field.

Oden is only allowed to run.

They hand the keys to Allen who won't even be here next year.

GENIUS!!
Because last time Gio was in, he did so poorly

Kid had the beast mode run of the season and then is never seen again?

Reactions: ScarletDave
I considered Allen over with when He played his first snaps against Howard. Makes sense to keep him in this game though.

Our LB play in this game is almost as bad as a our OL play. Roberts has mastered the art of getting swallowed up in the wash - like on every running play.

JQRU --

Agree, 2 yrs is a long time, but it's not like we were just a flassh in the pan for that year. We were pretty solid year after year. To see this kind of drop off....

JQRU --

Agree, 2 yrs is a long time, but it's not like we were just a flassh in the pan for that year. We were pretty solid year after year. To see this kind of drop off....

We were solid against top 25-50 teams not top 5 teams.

Defense has to be absolutely gassed at this point. What I find surprising is that they haven't benched the starting LBs yet. Morris and Roberts and Maddox-Williams have to be exhausted they have played the entire game.

All of us earlier in the game:

Laviano is 1/8 for 6 yards - how much worse can the backups be?

Since then:

Allen comes in and is 1/10 for -1 yard

Face palm

This is insane

Reactions: drewbagel423
Thank god this is over. I hope the team can flush this game, but this has to be demoralizing.

Defense has to be absolutely gassed at this point. What I find surprising is that they haven't benched the starting LBs yet. Morris and Roberts and Maddox-Williams have to be exhausted they have played the entire game.
There's nothing behind them, they had to play.

That said, I was glad to see Ash played a lot of 2nd teamers himself in the second half. Player development first. We're done playing ranked teams for the year, so now that the schedule comes back down to earth a little bit, hopefully we will see the crucible they went through the first half of the year bear some fruit.

There's nothing behind them, they had to play.

That said, I was glad to see Ash played a lot of 2nd teamers himself in the second half. Player development first. We're done playing ranked teams for the year, so now that the schedule comes back down to earth a little bit, hopefully we will see the crucible they went through the first half of the year bear some fruit.

For the sake of this program, I hope you're right.

I was hoping for 4 or 5 wins in Year 1 of the Ash era, because he needed to show recruits that his team will compete. I thought that was realistic. There is no way to spin this...tonights game was not a good look for Ash. I think Ash is a competitor and he has a lot of fire, which kids will gravitate to. However, he and the staff are really going to have to raise their game the rest of the way.

I have no idea what Ash and Mehringer are going to do with this offense. One thing is for certain: they need to fix the OL. They played horribly tonight.

Last edited:

I was hoping for 4 or 5 wins in Year 1 of the Ash era, because he needed to show recruits that his team will compete. I thought that was realistic. There is no way to spin this...tonights game was not a good luck for Ash. I think Ash is a competitor and he has a lot of fire, which kids will gravitate to. However, he and the staff are really going to have to raise their game the rest of the way.

I have no idea what Ash and Mehringer are going to do with this offense. One thing is for certain: they need to fix the OL. They played horribly tonight.
Agreed. I keep thinking back to the year Schiano brought in Captain Kirk to implement the spread and the offensive line was horrific because they couldn't adjust from a man blocking scheme to a zone blocking scheme. This line has the same look to it as that year. At least we have some great commits in the 17 class on o-line.

I was hoping for 4 or 5 wins in Year 1 of the Ash era, because he needed to show recruits that his team will compete. I thought that was realistic. There is no way to spin this...tonights game was not a good look for Ash. I think Ash is a competitor and he has a lot of fire, which kids will gravitate to. However, he and the staff are really going to have to raise their game the rest of the way.

They faced Rashan Gary and Jabrill Peppers on D. Both top 5 star recruits from NJ and both future NFL players. Compare that with our team where future NFL talent can be counted on 1 hand.

We just don't have the talent. I don't think we ever will because top recruits want to play for top teams. Being around top peers makes your own game better. So I don't really blame them.

They faced Rashan Gary and Jabrill Peppers on D. Both top 5 star recruits from NJ and both future NFL players. Compare that with our team where future NFL talent can be counted on 1 hand.

We just don't have the talent. I don't think we ever will because top recruits want to play for top teams. Being around top peers makes your own game better. So I don't really blame them.
Rashan Gary was the least of RU's worries tonight. There are a half a dozen players on that Michigan defense - if not more - that are bigger impact players than Gary at this time. He will be great, but he's still a true frosh.

Rutgars should not start stuff with top teams until the talent level is up to par. Michigan may get 5 to 6 5 stars this year alone.

We are not a threat to pass AT ALL.

After watching the Eagles under Chip Kelly trying to run this same exact offense with a non-running QB, I've come to realize that better defenses can stop it because it's too damn predictable if your QB isn't a threat to take off for 20 yards on every play.

You just stack the box and play press-man. Google "Chip Kelly and the Vanishing Offense". Tremendous article complete with pictures and video explaining the main problems.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Until RU fields a competitive team, "we" should abandon gimmicks such as Blackouts, Striping, etc. Stick to tradtional home unis. Stick to basics. Reintroduce the gimmicks once you're reputable.

We are not a threat to pass AT ALL.

After watching the Eagles under Chip Kelly trying to run this same exact offense with a non-running QB, I've come to realize that better defenses can stop it because it's too damn predictable if your QB isn't a threat to take off for 20 yards on every play.

You just stack the box and play press-man. Google "Chip Kelly and the Vanishing Offense". Tremendous article complete with pictures and video explaining the main problems.
You should start a thread on that article. Key takeaway:

"Good coaching is about adapting. Kelly has failed to adjust."

https://theringer.com/chip-kelly-san-francisco-49ers-offense-f332f053870e#.c8vfjwmxu

And uptempo spread is plain stupid with the players we have the roster. All it is doing is generating quick three and outs and exhausting our defense.

Reactions: miketd1
You should start a thread on that article. Key takeaway:

"Good coaching is about adapting. Kelly has failed to adjust."

https://theringer.com/chip-kelly-san-francisco-49ers-offense-f332f053870e#.c8vfjwmxu

And uptempo spread is plain stupid with the players we have the roster. All it is doing is generating quick three and outs and exhausting our defense.

And also from the article:
"a QB who is a threat to run alters the fundamental arithmetic of football."

We don't have that when Oden is not on the field.

"Kelly once said that the shotgun inside zone “is not a great play if the quarterback hands off to the running back and everyone in the stadium knows who has the ball.” He was right,"

Kelly’s 2015 opponents were unafraid of his QBs as run threats and could accurately guess his play calls; it’s no surprise they were also able to exploit errors in his team’s execution. “You cannot just fool defenses with tempo,” University of Kentucky offensive line coach John Schlarman said at a coaching clinic, summing up the experience of middling up-tempo spread offenses at every level of football. “There is a difference in a fast playing team playing crisp and a fast playing team playing sloppy.”

“Chip Kelly is a friend, but I could not run the offense he runs,” Stanford head coach David Shaw said this summer at a coaching clinic. “If you run an up-tempo offense, you better be good at staying on the field. If you cannot get first downs, your defense will play the entire game.” Indeed, the 2015 Eagles defense defended an incredible 1,148 plays, while the team that defended the fewest, the Seahawks, played just 947 snaps. At an NFL average of around 65 plays a game, Kelly’s defense effectively played three more games than Seattle’s.
LOL

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT