ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wide Receivers -'We're ready to explode:' What Rutgers football needs from bolstered wide receiver group

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Excellent article by probably the best RU beat writer.

“I think this is one of the most slept-on rooms in the country,” Ryan said after a recent practice at the Marco Battaglia Practice Complex. “On paper we have a lot of talent, but I feel like the country hasn’t seen what we’ve got yet and we’re ready to explode.”

As much as we will miss Bo, tend to think that Taj Harris will at least be equal to, if not greater than Bo in production. Add in Sean Ryan and Cruickshank, and this unit has high potential, but as @wheezer said, OLine is key. Behind the first three, still a lot of potential with Shameen Jones, Washington and the younger receivers mentioned in the article.

Reactions: Dpgru and wheezer
As much as we will miss Bo, tend to think that Taj Harris will at least be equal to, if not greater than Bo in production. Add in Sean Ryan and Cruickshank, and this unit has high potential, but as @wheezer said, OLine is key. Behind the first three, still a lot of potential with Shameen Jones, Washington and the younger receivers mentioned in the article.
Taj should be better for us then Bo. Bo was good after the catch, but he was more of a straight line speed guy, and we didn’t really have the QB play to get it to him on a streak. Taj is better after the catch and should do better on the shorter passes we tend to use.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Taj should be better for us then Bo. Bo was good after the catch, but he was more of a straight line speed guy, and we didn’t really have the QB play to get it to him on a streak. Taj is better after the catch and should do better on the shorter passes we tend to use.
Shameen Jones seems pretty good for YAC too (when he gets the ball). But he seemed to be either targeted less, or maybe open less than Bo. But it seemed every time he did get the ball, he was good to stretch each catch for more yards.

Reactions: ScooterSports
I feel a bit more optimistic about the entire offense chiefly because the OLine should be better. The WR corps seems deeper than ever. Let's go!

Also - thanks for linking the article OP. Good read.

I feel a bit more optimistic about the entire offense chiefly because the OLine should be better. The WR corps seems deeper than ever. Let's go!

Also - thanks for linking the article OP. Good read.
Was not optimistic about the OL after Gerry DiNardo's comments during the BTN visit. He usually likes to spout sunshine. Maybe they are going in a different direction this year.

Was surprised that there was not much emphasis on the WRs during the BTN visit. They touched upon it briefly.

Maybe, in a way, it's good that we start off with BC. Previously, I was thinking that the less experienced and "un-gelled" position groups on the team should get their feet wet and build confidence with easier games like Wagner and Temple. But, with an opponent like BC, the coaching staff can find out where the issues are on the OL (even after spending all of camp trying to correct them) and improve it further during the Wagner and Temple games before heading into B1G play.

The O line must protect
then yes, big things are possible
Not necessarily. If we can get separation on vertical routes that is a 3 step drop. If we can complete vertical routes on a 3 step drop that makes the defense back up.

OR

If we can truly run RPOs that allows us to leave a defender unblocked.

If you can have explosive WRs that allow you to take teams our of Man free or press man you can take a ton of pressure off of our OL. In the past teams could run press man and or man free on our WRs and TEs which allowed most of the LBs to be run first defenders and come hard. If you force the LBs to actually have to deal with TEs and WRs that changes a ton.

If this group can be explosive vertically, and shallow (which I believe they can) it takes a ton of pressure off of our OL.

Maybe, in a way, it's good that we start off with BC. Previously, I was thinking that the less experienced and "un-gelled" position groups on the team should get their feet wet and build confidence with easier games like Wagner and Temple. But, with an opponent like BC, the coaching staff can find out where the issues are on the OL (even after spending all of camp trying to correct them) and improve it further during the Wagner and Temple games before heading into B1G play.
Good point. Really hard to tell where you are at with Wagner. Temple, maybe, but they apparently lost a lot. If we lose to BC and struggle with Temple, it could be a long season.

Not necessarily. If we can get separation on vertical routes that is a 3 step drop. If we can complete vertical routes on a 3 step drop that makes the defense back up.

OR

If you can have explosive WRs that allow you to take teams our of Man free or press man you can take a ton of pressure off of our OL. In the past teams could run press man and or man free on our WRs and TEs which allowed most of the LBs to be run first defenders and come hard. If you force the LBs to actually have to deal with TEs and WRs that changes a ton.

If this group can be explosive vertically, and shallow (which I believe they can) it takes a ton of pressure off of our OL.
As usual, you bring LOTS to the discussions. Thank you.

Reactions: gef21
As usual, you bring LOTS to the discussions. Thank you.
I believe, and I know others disagree, that our poor WR play the past few years have actually been our biggest issue. Our OL was not stellar, but we could do nothing to help them. I also think NV is better than many think and will be able to make some big plays with WRs who can be explosive.

If we can force teams to not be able to play us man free or zero man press it makes the game a lot easier.

Last year teams pressed us, with little to no help over the top, and said beat us. And we could not consistently do it.

I'm not asking too much of the running backs and the OL 😏 If the running backs can consistently get 3 or 4 yards in a cloud of dust, that will definitely open up the passing game.

OR

From your lips to God's ears. The offense needs to take a big step forward this year or the program will really stall. Year 1 was a great turnaround from rock-bottom but Year 2 looked to be no better. If Year 3 is the same recruits will look elsewhere.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Was not optimistic about the OL after Gerry DiNardo's comments during the BTN visit. He usually likes to spout sunshine. Maybe they are going in a different direction this year.

Was surprised that there was not much emphasis on the WRs during the BTN visit. They touched upon it briefly.
Let's hope he's proven wrong.

Coach DiNardo caught a lot of heat for being bullish every year about Rutgers. This year he steps back and gives a generic description of the OL, and everyone is upset and believes the sky is falling. If anyone was listening closely, Coach DiNardo dialed it back on PSU too. Overall, BTN didn't do deep dives into teams as they have in the past.

From your lips to God's ears. The offense needs to take a big step forward this year or the program will really stall. Year 1 was a great turnaround from rock-bottom but Year 2 looked to be no better. If Year 3 is the same recruits will look elsewhere.
If Gleeson can capture a little of the excitement and momentum that he had at Princeton we will be in good shape. Even if we can move the ball a decent amount and show significant improvement, I will be happy. Maybe steal a win over an elite program and we are storming the field!

OR

How deep a pass play do you estimate we could complete with a three step vertical pass?

How deep a pass play do you estimate we could complete with a three step vertical pass?
Here is a link to a high school team vertical passing attack (very quick youtube search).

you can attack vertically very quickly in football, especially not under center, and especially with RPO looks.

You can immediately stretch the field if your WRs and or TEs are explosive enough.

Here is a link to a high school team vertical passing attack (very quick youtube search).

you can attack vertically very quickly in football, especially not under center, and especially with RPO looks.

You can immediately stretch the field if your WRs and or TEs are explosive enough.
First several passes were thrown within 2-3 seconds of snap.

Reactions: gef21
WR group says:

THROW ME THE DAMN BALL!
woher-kommt-der-ball-adams-tyler.gif

I hope he is better for us but Bo was not just a straight line speed guy. Two years ago he was a YAC machine and he made some huge plays for us. This past year all eyes were on Bo which allowed AC to make those big plays but Bo still made some huge catches in traffic.

OL needs to be able to open up some holes at the LOS. We got stonewalled on dives frequently. Just asking for 2-3 yards on first down is not asking a lot. We could not do that and teams were hanging safeties deep which took away the long ball plus Noah got smacked a lot when he dropped back. We’re in a tough conference playing great Defenses so pretty good to very at every position is not enough in half our games.

Coach DiNardo caught a lot of heat for being bullish every year about Rutgers. This year he steps back and gives a generic description of the OL, and everyone is upset and believes the sky is falling. If anyone was listening closely, Coach DiNardo dialed it back on PSU too. Overall, BTN didn't do deep dives into teams as they have in the past.
Exactly what I thought when I saw the other thread on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT