ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women's Soccer at No. 16 Wisconsin in B1G Quarterfinals

A fitting end to a crappy season we got dominated and terrible PK’s but we didn’t deserve to win by any stretch of the imagination this coaching staff better dig deep because we are only going to get worse next year we have no defense and lose some key pieces

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
What an absolute disaster in PK's. Can't wait for "fanboy's" excuses on this one.

You simply cannot win soccer games if you cannot pass the ball to your teammates. This has been a problem for a couple years now and I don't understand how it has not been addressed.

The quality of this team has gotten progressively worse and I don't see any Improvement in sight unless there is a major refresh of some of the girls on this team.

Very curious to see what happens.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Poor performance all game. We played well and aggressive for about 6-8 minutes near the end of regulation. Then in OT we went into a shell and played for PKs but missed the 1st 2. Hope they find an offense next season.

You simply cannot win soccer games if you cannot pass the ball to your teammates. This has been a problem for a couple years now and I don't understand how it has not been addressed.

The quality of this team has gotten progressively worse and I don't see any Improvement in sight unless there is a major refresh of some of the girls on this team.

Considering this is a lineup that played many games together this should never have been an issue. Something has to be going on within the team that is impacting chemistry.

Next is going to be even worse we lose major pieces and judging by the quality of what we have coming back next year is going to be even worse
This is where 2 years of very poor recruiting will now really come back to haunt us

Reactions: RUJMM78
Considering this is a lineup that played many games together this should never have been an issue. Something has to be going on within the team that is impacting chemistry.
Hey, hey, careful now!!! I said this in October and was lambasted by "fanboy.' Something was definitely amiss on the pitch this season. No question.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
We really do play an unpleasant brand of soccer. Not fun to watch by any stretch of the imagination.

Next is going to be even worse we lose major pieces and judging by the quality of what we have coming back next year is going to be even worse
This is where 2 years of very poor recruiting will now really come back to haunt us
There are way too many excellent clubs in Rutgers backyard to not have great recruiting classes. Signing nothing but PDA backups isn’t getting it done.

Reactions: motorb54
Nothing and I mean nothing will change in this program until MO is gone. It’s really that simple. You can’t hang your hat on winning games 1-0 or 2-1 anymore. Collectively, as a team, they were mediocre this year. They practically screamed it during each match. Mediocre coach. Mediocre talent and skill. Mediocre game plan. Mediocre record. Etc.

I don’t see how they are any btr next year. Really don’t. I have a knot in my stomach. As vk said, there is no excuse for this. There are tremendous programs all across PA NJ and NY.

The game is changing and O’Neill is going the route of CVS instead of adapting

It's called injuries. Still expect this team to make the Dance.
Every team has injuries we just don't have any depth which goes back to the same thing everyone has been saying is that our recruiting has not been good which is 100% a fact we lost 1 defensive back mainly and the whole team goes to crap! That was not the problem this team has been barely mediocre for a year and a half now. We have no scorers and with his style of defensive play that is just magnified 110%. If he doesn't change his coaching style we are going to be mired in this mediocrity for a while and if you look at his recruits coming in there is nothing there that looks to me to change this as stated above we are down a CVS and Reasso final years path and with another 4 years on his contract I don't see Hobbs making any move for a while

hang on...you think we are going to make the tournament? I hope you're right, but I just don't see it.

Also - I understand you're in a tough spot, so it's hard for you to be able to get into a gritty discussion about the team and individual players. I totally get that. i will say that i don't agree with your assessment though and respect the fine line you need to walk here.

GO RU!

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
...and THERE is the excuse!!!'

@SirScarlet

Okay we are now 34th in the RPI. It's gonna be close BUT we likely do make the tournament I'd guess (as 64 teams make the field). Unfortunately we're very, VERY likely headed for a difficult 1st round matchup and a 1-and-done type of post-season. Luckily we are just a couple spots ahead of BOTH Indiana (lol...) and Meeechigan!!

Last edited:
...and THERE is the excuse!!!'

@SirScarlet

Okay we are now 34th in the RPI. It's gonna be close BUT we likely do make the tournament I'd guess (as 64 teams make the field). Unfortunately we're very, VERY likely headed for a difficult 1st round matchup and a 1-and-done type of post-season. Luckily we are just a couple spots ahead of BOTH Indiana (lol...) and Meeechigan!!

that would be amazing. I didn't think that was possible, but happy to hear we can make it. this team is definitely talented enough to beat anyone.

that would be amazing. I didn't think that was possible, but happy to hear we can make it. this team is definitely talented enough to beat anyone.
So this just keeps our coach going longer as if we make we are just going to continue this mediocre pattern and Hobbs will say he made the NCAA tournament again!!

So this just keeps our coach going longer as if we make we are just going to continue this mediocre pattern and Hobbs will say he made the NCAA tournament again!!
he's not firing MO...i just dont see it

I think we have to hope for:
1) a major uptick in recruiting
2) MO hiring a very savvy assistant...to help with tactics/fundamentals

not sure how feasible either of the above are

We really do play an unpleasant brand of soccer. Not fun to watch by any stretch of the imagination.
Defense has kept the team in games but offense has been missing most of the season.

Defense has kept the team in games but offense has been missing most of the season.
There is no offense. A 5-year old can watch them play and see this. Hobbs should sit MON down and say "listen....you MUST hire someone who can coach offense, and do so at a high level, or we're gonna have to talk in another year or two if things continue this way."

Reactions: RUDiddy777
There is no offense. A 5-year old can watch them play and see this. Hobbs should sit MON down and say "listen....you MUST hire someone who can coach offense, and do so at a high level, or we're gonna have to talk in another year or two if things continue this way."
I would 100% agree with that but how much does Hobbs really know about soccer probably zilch; all he sees is the final record I wonder if he actually even went to a game this year; All he is going to see if we somehow get into the NCAA tournament is we made the NCAA's again and that will be plenty good for him. Like said above he needs an offensive tactician but he also has to be willing to change his coaching style or it doesn't matter who you bring in on offense
a perfect example is he stuck Sam at back the last half of the season and she is wasted back there!!!

Reactions: Zamaneta
I would 100% agree with that but how much does Hobbs really know about soccer probably zilch; all he sees is the final record I wonder if he actually even went to a game this year; All he is going to see if we somehow get into the NCAA tournament is we made the NCAA's again and that will be plenty good for him. Like said above he needs an offensive tactician but he also has to be willing to change his coaching style or it doesn't matter who you bring in on offense
a perfect example is he stuck Sam at back the last half of the season and she is wasted back there!!!
I'm thinking Hobbs knows a little more about soccer than you might think. I'm also sure he has had people in his ears about some things that have gone on recently (see: MON not allowing the girls to attend a Saturday football game with a match on Sunday....leaving some members of the team, APPARENTLY, crying).

One great goal opportunity early mishit so weak roller which the goalie covered.
Great crossing pass wasted.

If true that these college women were forbidden from attending a home Saturday football game because of a home soccer match on Sunday there are some tough questions that need to be answered.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT